• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

I want less pixels. Halo would look better if it were Minecraft. 343 sucks.

hqdefault.jpg

Akai__

What are some Gamertags you can add for Forge maps and gametypes?

Would like to play a coupple of map remakes, some fun-maps and maybe even racing tracks.

God I wish 343 didn't overdesign everything to hell and back. That picture is literally Visual Noise: The Image.

That partially lends itself to

A) the size, and
B) the number of unrelated assets used to make it.

They combined a veritable fuckton of graphics to get that image looking cohesive - you can even see hints of the old Sanghelios concept art, complete with the Arbiter statue. Filters and film grain help mitigate that, and ultimately the image is going to be shrunk down to such a (relatively) small resolution of 1080p on average that the noise and grit will be negligible.

That partially lends itself to

A) the size, and
B) the number of unrelated assets used to make it.

They combined a veritable fuckton of graphics to get that image looking cohesive - you can even see hints of the old Sanghelios concept art, complete with the Arbiter statue. Filters and film grain help mitigate that, and ultimately the image is going to be shrunk down to such a (relatively) small resolution of 1080p on average that the noise and grit will be negligible.

We need some paint.net warriors to show 343 how colors should be done!

TOO MUCH FOG/HAZE!

As an ain't shit graphic artist myself, I can confirm doing a self-contained "native" piece featuring original art for every element of that wallpaper, at that size, without any post-processing such as filters or grain, it would take at least over 9000 hours in mspaint. Even the latest ReclaimerHub(r) Pose As A Team(c) Wallpaper(tm) was only 1080pees, but still took a fuckton of filmic filters and sparks to look cohesive.

Fuchsdh

As an ain't shit graphic artist myself, I can confirm doing a self-contained "native" piece featuring original art for every element of that wallpaper, at that size, without any post-processing such as filters or grain, it would take at least over 9000 hours in mspaint. Even the latest ReclaimerHub(r) Pose As A Team(c) Wallpaper(tm) was only 1080pees, but still took a fuckton of filmic filters and sparks to look cohesive.

®, ©, and ™ mate. Alt + R, 2, G.

</pedant>

VinFTW

The Spartan 2's look like actual super soldiers in battle armor.

The Spartan IV's look so fucking silly. Shit is way too ninja looking. Like something belonging to Warframe or something.

You just sound nervous they might rek Blue team

lol

Again, I love their look though. So bad-ass. Like old vs new. Legend vs the new toys.

The Spartan 2's look like actual super soldiers in battle armor.

The Spartan IV's look so fucking silly. Shit is way too ninja looking. Like something belonging to Warframe or something.

I like them. visually distinct. I think we are adverse to smooth looking armor cuz that at art style is usually cliche and overused. Like a power ranger.

They still look like spartans to me, so I'm okay with it.

VinFTW

lmaooo

Man, I haven't been this hyped for Halo in a long while. I should probably tone it down and keep my expectations realistic/down to avoid disappointment/overhyping.

Impala26

New toys are fragile. Old toys are resilient. Locke's team is fucked.

Old toys made out of steel versus new toys made out of plastic.

Therefore, Blue Team wins :p

I actually like the way Locke's (Red?) Team looks as well. The contrasting styles is very appealing actually

I think you know what I'm about to say.

They all look badass.

When I illustrate that "one-dimensional kneejerk good" is just as bad as indiscriminate salt, you're the exact type of poster I'm talking about. You are in no way obligated to try and shield 343 from literally every criticism thrown their way. Name one thing you don't like about the Halo franchise.

Impala26

You can put a green armor and gold visor on a turd and you would think it looks awesome.

I don't think I've heard a negative criticism toward anything Halo from you.

When I illustrate that "one-dimensional kneejerk good" is just as bad as indiscriminate salt, you're the exact type of poster I'm talking about. You are in no way obligated to try and shield 343 from literally every criticism thrown their way. Name one thing you don't like about the Halo franchise.

Michael_Jackson_Popcorn.gif

Obscured

What I'm worried about for Halo 5 is a cohesive story. We know there is no way this is a straight up fight between chief and locke, that there will be some twist to get them fighting (sigh) covenant. This could up being cool, but it might not make any sense.

I actually like Halo 4, but for the must part the story was confusing as presented and having read the forerunner trilogy actually made it worse as the didact seemed like a completely different character.

Where this all leads me to is a concern that this cool lead up to release will not pay off in the game.

My optimistic side causes me to hope they learned from their previous endeavors and it all comes together, because there is some high potential here.

jem0208

Missed you dude. And no there isn't! Im super excited!

<3

I'm massively excited for 5, however it release like a month after I start Uni. So I have no idea when I'm gunna be able to play it :(

I actually like Halo 4, but for the must part the story was confusing as presented and having read the forerunner trilogy actually made it worse as the didact seemed like a completely different character.
I noticed this, since when did the Didact become such a dick?

You can put a green armor and gold visor on a turd and you would think it looks awesome.

I don't think I've heard a negative criticism toward anything Halo from you.

Let's see:

- The terrible multiplayer fiasco that is the MCC.

- The lack of solid linkage of the extended lore to the Halo 4 campaign so that people who didn't read the books would know what was going on.

- SMG starts. AR starts.

- Killing off Sgt Johnson

- The retcon that occurred between Fall of Reach and Reach.

- The inexcusable mixup of Kelly and Linda in Escalation.

- Some of the ridiculously poor artwork in Escalation.

There's quite a number of things, actually. &#128077;

TheXbox

Let's see:

- The lack of solid linkage of the extended lore to the Halo 4 campaign so that people who didn't read the books would know what was going on.

- SMG starts. AR starts.

did that actually happen?

Everything I see and hear about the comic makes me want to laugh and cry. What are they doing...

Is there any sight given to Escalation?

It seems like to me that the people who are tasked with the comics are given story outlines and some sort of skeletal script and they are creating it without any further input than that. The plot beats themselves are fine, but the execution of them, and the artwork that represents them is uh.... Nowhere near as good as it should be, or even up to par with previous Halo comics.

Overdoziz

Banned
Let's see:

- SMG starts. AR starts.

woah woah slow down there cowboy

You guys can't seriously believe that having 7 different scopes glued to Linda's head is not visual clutter. Or the broken silhouettes for the sake of cramming in more polygons because muh next-gen.

I see what all you mean. Like I said though, it was primarily a jest. I just found the comments humorous because concept art is typically "busy" and not representative of the final product anyways.

*shrug*

Tawpgun

Seeing this, I now want to skip the Locke Hunt the Truth shenanigans and give me Spartan 2's kicking ass on some awesome mission by themseleves.

Hell, make it a spin off to make the game highly focused on tactical spartan shit. Ghost Recon x Halo.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Seeing this, I now want to skip the Locke Hunt the Truth shenanigans and give me Spartan 2's kicking ass on some awesome mission by themseleves.

Hell, make it a spin off to make the game highly focused on tactical spartan shit. Ghost Recon x Halo.

Oh god, all of my money.

IHaveIce

Banned

all of my yes.

Top Bottom