• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

GsFXLEu.jpg
Great matchmaking, 343.

Omni

blue team complete
l41v8Q9.jpg

That's awesome. I'm actually getting rather interested about where Halo 5 is going story-wise...

Though so much can go wrong. I don't particularity have faith that 343i can do Blue Team justice after their portrayals of Spartans in Halo 4.

-Ryn

Banned
I keep seeing Linda's helmet-cams as hair curlers.
I can't unsee this...

Linda actually carries everyone's scopes when they aren't using them. This is why Locke also doesn't have a scope.
Jebus you're blowing my mind!!

The cynical side of me says that's all it will be, similar to the Elites in Halo 3.
I think the biggest challenge would be how you'd implement them into gameplay.

You could just do what Reach did and make them invincible but the problem with that imo was that they were basically glorified marines in combat. It should feel like they're actual super soldiers.

Perhaps you could make them really cool in combat but still vulnerable so that perhaps you need to go and revive them on occasion? Anyone got a different idea?

DYA4BIG.png

no, it's not getting quoted
ENtANSq.jpg

He died as he lived

Like an ass

A debunk over a year in the making lol.
Sure hope the levels are still huge

Omni

Are Halo 2 Anniversary's cutscenes not on the disc?

Was just playing through the final four playlist and noticed a lot of artefacts. Almost like they were streaming. :\

-Ryn

Banned
That's awesome. I'm actually getting rather interested about where Halo 5 is going story-wise...

Though so much can go wrong. I don't particularity have faith that 343i can do Blue Team justice after their portrayals of Spartans in Halo 4.
To be fair, those weren't really "Spartans". At least not as we know them. They're basically a bunch of volunteer marines and ODST's with shinier tech upgrades so the behavior isn't all that surprising.

Back from my week long ban.

Blue Team in a halo is cool, though Wonder if they Do them justice
Welcome back dude

This place was getting a bit stuffy

Are Halo 2 Anniversary's cutscenes not on the disc?

Was just playing through the final four playlist and noticed a lot of artefacts. Almost like they were streaming. :
I'm pretty sure they are

Have you tried disconnecting your internet and then playing them?

Akai__

Back from my week long ban.

Blue Team in a halo is cool, though Wonder if they Do them justice

Welcome back. I have the same fear, but I also wonder if they will mention anything about what happened in the comics.

Still being sceptical about 343i. :p

I finally got KoTH in BTB, on Valhalla. Got MVP in the game, and most points. Didn't get a single "KoTH specific medal" the entire match.

This achievement is lame.

Halo 4 SWAT KotH gave us 30+ medals in the 1st SWAT playlist without Halo 3. not sure what the chances of that happening are now, but it was like 10 matches.

MP achievements really need to be reduced, though. Make some like play/win 500 games, but no gametype/medal specific ones.

IHaveIce

Banned
Welcome back. I have the same fear, but I also wonder if they will mention anything about what happened in the comics.

Still being sceptical about 343i. :p

Thanks, also thank you Ryn.

And yeah TBH at this point there needs to be a prologue which explains some characters.

Akai__

Halo 4 had really good intro and outro videos. I hope they are considering making them a little bit longer. I haven't read the newest books and comics, so if I have to catch up on this to get the Halo 5 story it will be pretty disappointing.

I find it funny, that people still ask about the Didact and what/who he actually is. People didn't seem to watch the terminal videos, because they weren't in the game. People are lazy, they won't take an extra step to watch videos outside of the game, so if you don't explain certain characters... You done goofed...

Moooooooommmmmm whyyyy

<3

Madness

That opening video.... Oh man, so good. Halsey looked fantastic.

I probably thought that was one of the poorer things about the campaign. Don't get me wrong, I thought the quality of the scene was amazing, but what was it setting up? What was the point of any of that, especially as it pertains to Halo 4 or the overall story? The last thing the majority of people are coming from is finishing the fight with Chief in Halo 3, and hearing Halsey talk about rebuilding Reach 30 years later with Noble Six helmet in the grass.

So we open to handcuffs, a man questioning her, and then a small montage of Chief. And then the game starts with the forward unto dawn approaching Requiem and getting boarded. It's poor story telling. Why? Because Halsey and that scene had nothing to do with the campaign. It had to do with the post-Requiem Spartan Ops story, one which came in weekly segments and then didn't finish until season 1.5 came at the end of January.

A much smarter option would have been to play the terminal video that showed Forerunners defeating humans, or getting beaten by the Flood/betrayed by Mendicent Bias, Librarian staying on Earth and Didact being sealed away. It would have set up what Requiem is, right before Chief lands on it, would have explained Didact, Librarian, and why he hates humanity, etc. Would have infinitely helped with the H4 campaign to at least provide some semblance of understanding as to what happened. After that, show time having passed 50k years or whatever, and we see Chief drifting towards Requiem.

I probably thought that was one of the poorer things about the campaign. Don't get me wrong, I thought the quality of the scene was amazing, but what was it setting up? What was the point of any of that, especially as it pertains to Halo 4 or the overall story? The last thing the majority of people are coming from is finishing the fight with Chief in Halo 3, and hearing Halsey talk about rebuilding Reach 30 years later with Noble Six helmet in the grass.

So we open to handcuffs, a man questioning her, and then a small montage of Chief. And then the game starts with the forward unto dawn approaching Requiem and getting boarded. It's poor story telling. Why? Because Halsey and that scene had nothing to do with the campaign. It had to do with the post-Requiem Spartan Ops story, one which came in weekly segments and then didn't finish until season 1.5 came at the end of January.

A much smarter option would have been to play the terminal video that showed Forerunners defeating humans, or getting beaten by the Flood/betrayed by Mendicent Bias, Librarian staying on Earth and Didact being sealed away. It would have set up what Requiem is, right before Chief lands on it, would have explained Didact, Librarian, and why he hates humanity, etc. Would have infinitely helped with the H4 campaign to at least provide some semblance of understanding as to what happened. After that, show time having passed 50k years or whatever, and we see Chief drifting towards Requiem.

1. It helped tie in the kilo five novels.
2. It gave us a great personal look at Halsey and what she stands for.
3. It gave us a glimpse at the muddied origins of MC.
4. It setup what was to come in Spartan Ops, and ultimately Escalation.

It played a ton of different roles.

Moreche

I apologise beforehand as I'm sure it's been asked but what novels should I read before going into Halo5 when it's released?
Thank you.

m23

I apologise beforehand as I'm sure it's been asked but what novels should I read before going into Halo5 when it's released?
Thank you.

Fall of Reach will get you familiar with blue team. I think that's a must read. First Strike is another great one. I'm not too familiar with the newer books though.

Akai__

Thank you.

Probably something like this:

Books: Fall of Reach and First Strike (like Munish said)
Comics: Halo: Escalation
Movies: Halo: Nightfall

I really don't think Nightfall offers enough story hooks for Halo 5 to be considered worth watching.

I don't think so either, but it introduces Locke (and maybe Macer, if she's one of the other Spartans).

I really hope none of the kilo 5 stuff plays into Halo 5. I can't bring myself to finish those books.

It will. All of the Sanghelli political drama and civil war that gets setup in those novels will come into play, especially if Halo 5 will partly take place on Sanghelios like it seems to be.

My favorite armor sets thus far, IMO.

Love the armor designs in H5.

Agreed! It looks absolutely amazing.

Madness

And yet ultimately didn't play the most important one, setting up the next 6+ hours of campaign we're about to play through. I get it did all of that for you, but it did nothing for the campaign of Halo 4. That's why I judge it poorly. We all have our opinions though.

Computer

Great matchmaking, 343.

I cant believe that this game still does not match players by rank or skill. What is the point of ranks if you do not get matched my them? This is why new players get completely dominated until the quit and never want to play Halo again. This game man.

Karl2177

I think what Madness is getting at is that placing it at the beginning wasn't the best placement for it. Halo 4's story in such a convoluted way, by leaving out crucial details to terminals and (at the time) unreleased books. There are better ways to bookend a story while giving nods to people who delve into the expanded universe.

VinFTW

I still kinda miss the old chief armor,

but the Blue Team armor is leagues above the Spartan IV amor. Team Locke armor blows. Blue team wins again. Gso ONI.

lmao

Idk, I think "Mercer" looks badass in that crimson set. Locke looks amazing and Buck is, well Buck. Blue team for sure >>>> Red team, but they look solid.

Basically, Red team can #gfb

AlStrong

Anyone got a different idea?

If no co-op player available, have a dropship unload up to 3 moas then team blue rides off a ledge, marked as MIA on your HUD. At the end-level cut scene they reappear on moa-back guns blazing shooting at absolutely nothing.

Things that happen when they re-appear:

Lvl1 Easy Chief: "Howdy"
Lvl1 Normal Chief: "What took you so, long?"
Lvl1 Heroic Chief: "Nice of you to show up."/s
Lvl1 Legendary Chief: "Thanks for the assist." /s
Lvl5 <Chief raises fist and the rest of team blue start firing wildly again and then they charge the incoming waves of forces as Chief hitches a ride with Linda whose Moa is already under considerable strain from her weight.>
Lvl6 Chief: "We gotta stop meeting up like this"
Lvl7 <silent staring contest for 7 seconds back & forth camera shot, then Chief turns around and continues on. Team blue look at one another, then shrug off and follow>
Lvl7 Heroic <team blue arrive silently this time. Chief waits for 3 seconds, then triggers a shot into the ground. Team Blue opens fire into the air wasting ammo again. Chief sighs then continues on.>
Lvl7 Legendary <dubstep weapons demonstration, Chief shoots himself in the foot.>
Lvl10 <a grunt is holding onto Kelly's leg on the ride in. She tries to shake it off, but refuses to shoot it as it's trying to show affection. Chief leans in, "Boo". It scurries off. Team Locke start shooting the little guy out of nowhere. Chaos ensues, Team Locke vs Team Blue>
Lvl11 <team blue arrives sans Moas> Chief: "What happened to your rides?" Linda and Kelly look at one another. Fred: "I was hungry," then walks past Chief, "Come on, we've got a Promethean to set on fire."

/s

Fuchsdh

But Nightfall was so good.

I don't even thing "bad" really works for Nightfall. It's just... bland. It starts off decently and then just descends into rather rote character interactions. The macguffin to get them to the ring ends up being nonsensical and irrelevant.

The best stuff that came from Nightfall were all the second stories. I really hope that we get similar stuff if/when the Spielberg-produced piece comes out.

If no co-op player available, have a dropship unload up to 3 moas then team blue rides off a ledge, marked as MIA on your HUD. At the end-level cut scene they reappear on moa-back guns blazing shooting at absolutely nothing.

Things that happen when they re-appear:

Lvl1 Easy Chief: "Howdy"
Lvl1 Normal Chief: "What took you so, long?"
Lvl1 Heroic Chief: "Nice of you to show up."/s
Lvl1 Legendary Chief: "Thanks for the assist." /s
Lvl5 <Chief raises fist and the rest of team blue start firing wildly again and then they charge the incoming waves of forces as Chief hitches a ride with Linda whose Moa is already under considerable strain from her weight.>
Lvl6 Chief: "We gotta stop meeting up like this"
Lvl7 <silent staring contest for 7 seconds back & forth camera shot, then Chief turns around and continues on. Team blue look at one another, then shrug off and follow>
Lvl7 Heroic <team blue arrive silently this time. Chief waits for 3 seconds, then triggers a shot into the ground. Team Blue opens fire into the air wasting ammo again. Chief sighs then continues on.>
Lvl7 Legendary <dubstep weapons demonstration, Chief shoots himself in the foot.>
Lvl10 <a grunt is holding onto Kelly's leg on the ride in. She tries to shake it off, but refuses to shoot it as it's trying to show affection. Chief leans in, "Boo". It scurries off. Team Locke start shooting the little guy out of nowhere. Chaos ensues, Team Locke vs Team Blue>
Lvl11 <team blue arrives sans Moas> Chief: "What happened to your rides?" Linda and Kelly look at one another. Fred: "I was hungry," then walks past Chief, "Come on, we've got a Promethean to set on fire."

/s

Wahrer geas in AlStrong confirmed.

Top Bottom