• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Been wanting this ever since that reach sillohuette concept art came out and everyone thought it was blue team.

Then details leaked and it was just a normal halo game. And a bad one at that!

I thought ODST was a missed opportunity for me because I was wanting this exact same thing out of that game.

-Ryn

Banned
What ever happened to that Halo adaptation fan game of The Fall of Reach? Wasn't that supposed to be pretty tactical?

I'll bet that "s" is for serious isn't it?

Fuckin lol

Been wanting this ever since that reach sillohuette concept art came out and everyone thought it was blue team.

Then details leaked and it was just a normal halo game. And a bad one at that!
Reach_483232_Medium.jpg

Would anyone like to see raid style missions in Halo with rare armor or weapon skin drops?

Define "raid style." I'm open to the idea of a challenge mode that rewards us with rare pieces of (cosmetic) kit, but I think I'd prefer it take the form of Firefight, something with a lot more replayability. Boss fights and Halo are a bad mix, IMO.

Computer

Define "raid style." I'm open to the idea of a challenge mode that rewards us with rare pieces of (cosmetic) kit, but I think I'd prefer it take the form of Firefight, something with a lot more replayability. Boss fights and Halo are a bad mix, IMO.

I would prefer them have no lore impact what so ever. I feel Halo needs some kind of re-playability other then multiplayer. Spartan ops did not work very well because you got nothing from it other then a bad story line. Games need more then one and done campaigns to survive with all the competition. People are still grinding Destiny and its not even good. A scarab boos batttle at the end of a Halo style raid would be so good.

Would anyone like to see raid style missions in Halo with rare armor or weapon skin drops?

I don't know that I'd want loot, per se, but I think a system similar to Raids would be a fantastic way to introduce some of the bigger baddies that are clearly approaching the forefront of the Halo universe (Promethean Warriors, not automatons, mind you) without having them devolve into OP bullet sponges or nerfed to be vulnerable to a one-on-one encounter with a Spartan. My main concern would be ensuring the bosses are still mobile in favor of being near-stationary tanks, cutting down on the number of arcane environment hazards under the guise of "status ailments," and ramping up the actual exploration element of it all. Similarly, I think going in more of a Metroid Prime route where making use of / damaging components within the environment is just as pivotal to weakening and/or killing the boss rather than funneling all of the damage into it in the final encounter would be preferable; there are hints of this in other Halo games, such as being able to activate the Gondola on Sacred Icon to blow up the Enforcer without having to kill it, though it's never really been fleshed out much beyond that.

It'd be interesting if, rather than warping from milestone to milestone in a Raid-like Halo location, it was a bit more interconnected; think the interior of one of those big caverns / mountains that housed Forerunner artifacts.

As far as rewards for taking down such difficult bosses, I'd almost suggest a Metroidvania sort of setup where you could find a number of fancy pieces of tech to help you in the boss fight itself depending on how far into the system you explored, with the "endgame reward" consisting of items that would ultimately add to replayability of prior missions - Skulls, being able to start with New Superweapon X on Mission Y depending on where they line up chronologically, etc.

Fuchsdh

A Halo game with loot? Expand on the concept of Firefight mixed in with raiding and I'd buy it.

A setup like FF is the only place I could see an "arcade" experience like that work. Turn your score into a currency, use that to buy extra ammo, over shields or powerups, turrets, the like. I dunno about "raids", because it starts turning the already-baroque armor set stuff into something beyond cosmetics, and then that just gets annoying for me. I want the good-looking armor, not the one that adds a +5% chance of Steitzer over-announcing something but comes with a -3% chance to blain.

A setup like FF is the only place I could see an "arcade" experience like that work. Turn your score into a currency, use that to buy extra ammo, over shields or powerups, turrets, the like. I dunno about "raids", because it starts turning the already-baroque armor set stuff into something beyond cosmetics, and then that just gets annoying for me. I want the good-looking armor, not the one that adds a +5% chance of Steitzer over-announcing something but comes with a -3% chance to blain.

Okay, well when you put it that way, I kind of want loot.

"My Mouthpiece of Donged Tongues grants me +6 Insight! Roll for trash-talk."

A Halo game with loot? Expand on the concept of Firefight mixed in with raiding and I'd buy it.

I think it would great if a campaign let you customize what weapons you started with, what you encounter, and what weapons and enemy types you faced. Then you could share your campaign template playlist with others.

Sounds like coop heaven to me.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

Nah, you don't have to go that far with stats. Stats aren't really arcade.

Think of a game based entirely around the holo situations/war games - except this game would not have any PvP at all. That means you can play loose and fast with balance.

Classes

Military Grunt - basic Human weapons, no Abilities, no Armour suit
ODST - Armour/Visr, can use more weapons
Spartan II - can dual wield, can pick up single use abilities on the battlefield, most health
Spartan III - limited sprinting, wider variety of abilities, more armour sets, smaller jump height
Spartan IV - unique Abilities, widest suit selection, less health

Start off as a normal military officer class and work your way up and unlock new classes. Classes are based loosely on how they have appeared in Halo games in the past.

Loot

Armour suit parts - suits are made from a combination of 7-8 fixed parts. Arms, legs, boots, shoulders, etc. Players must collect all variant pieces to unlock/wear suit variants. Some pieces rarer than others. Additional rarity with colourisation and patterns and effects.

Say you have all 7 Recon parts for the Spartan II class. You can craft Recon armour for your character, regardless that each piece is a different colour/rarity. The incentive is to get the exactly colour/design you want for all your pieces, or even mix and match colours and patterns.

A similar system for weapons - to obtain a specific weapon drop you have to defeat and pick up a specific weapon during the gameplay. Say you want a silver Needler, then you'd be killing enemies and picking up as many Needlers as possible. Again, some colours and patterns rarer than others.

Etc for vehicles.

More suits, parts, colours, patterns, effects, can all be added later. Specifics can be made as rewards for accomplishments, and then end game you further reward players by allowing them to mix suit parts across variants (but not classes) - you'll get some real ugly creations, but some real awesome ones.

Stuff

Encounter Forge - make and design your own encounter Halo encounter, set targets, times and scores, then challenge your friends and share your designs.

Add in modes such as traditional Firefight, Challenges, Raids, Survivals, stick everything on good dedicated servers, add in some matchmaking for the shorter modes, high score and rankings globally and against friends. Add in skulls old and new, unlockable voice banks, dailies and weeklies. Special events. Call it something easy to sell like Halo: Spartan Games or Training or whatever.

Rake in the money. No PvP in sight. No campaign, no Master Chief. Took me a few minutes - Im sure the pro could do a lot better and make something really awesome.

The Spartan 2's look like actual super soldiers in battle armor.

The Spartan IV's look so fucking silly. Shit is way too ninja looking. Like something belonging to Warframe or something.

Feels like the Covenant transition to Bungie's to 343i's all over again.

Not sure how to feel about the female spartan in chiefs team, I want to believe the red one is also a female?.

I still dont like the EVA "Dolphin nose" design

Ghazi

Remember when they revealed the box art and everyone thought Locke was female? They were giving analysis on the shape of his hips and stuff, lol. They being said, I would guess that the red spartan is female.

Feels like the Covenant transition to Bungie's to 343i's all over again.

Not sure how to feel about the female spartan in chiefs team, I want to believe the red one is also a female?.

I still dont like the EVA "Dolphin nose" design

I think we have an example of both lightly-armored and heavily-armored female Spartans on Locke's side; the one on the far left is probably Tanaka (who would probably use a more... well, armored set of armor thanks to her Army affiliation and HAZOP-esque upbringing), while the "fire ant" Spartan may fulfill a role as more of a scout, as an analog to Kelly. I think the most obvious tell for the far left Spartan is that there's a way more defined shape to the hips compared to Buck on the far right, who's in a similar pose.

I think we have an example of both lightly-armored and heavily-armored female Spartans on Locke's side; the one on the far left is probably Tanaka (who would probably use a more... well, armored set of armor thanks to her Army affiliation and HAZOP-esque upbringing), while the "fire ant" Spartan may fulfill a role as more of a scout, as an analog to Kelly. I think the most obvious tell for the far left Spartan is that there's a way more defined shape to the hips compared to Buck on the far right, who's in a similar pose.

Notices how both of them are not aiming anything but posing (outside the ODST dude being where I am )

Remember when they revealed the box art and everyone thought Locke was female? They were giving analysis on the shape of his hips and stuff, lol. They being said, I would guess that the red spartan is female.

Lol yeah... That's when you feel bad for artists. Can you imagine how irritating it would be to hear that the Internet thinks you drew a female instead of a male? Would be insulting lol

Notices how both of them are not aiming anything but posing (outside the ODST dude being where I am )

Honestly, I think that has more to do with these all being separate renders for use in promotional media rather than a single self-contained image. Buck is the worst offender as being a render plopped in the middle of the landscape, but it seems pretty clear the poses for the other Spartans are going to be used elsewhere, too.

So can some kind broseph fill me in.

What's going on with the image and where are the parts coming from?

Is the image the only thing we are getting here?

Is Frank perm banned?

AlStrong

Lol yeah... That's when you feel bad for artists. Can you imagine how irritating it would be to hear that the Internet thinks you drew a female instead of a male? Would be insulting lol

What is this, crotch armour for ants! They need to be... at least 3x that size.

Or something. >_<

So can some kind broseph fill me in.

What's going on with the image and where are the parts coming from?

Is the image the only thing we are getting here?

Is Frank perm banned?

Sure thing broseph:

The image is assembled from bits and pieces emailed and hidden around by MS. It looks to be a poster or a background or something.

No clue if we're getting anything else, I'm hoping for the long form of that Gamestop trailer, but I'm not holding my breath.

Gonna have to ask a mod.

dwells

Hey, there's nothing wrong with being hyped.

Also I've never been disappointed by a Halo (except the MCC) so I'm not too worried about keeping hype in check :D

One of the advantages of not really giving a shit.
You know, I may disagree with pretty much everything you say, but goddamn if you aren't a good sport. It hurts me to admit it, but I kinda root for you since you're the underdog around here.

Lore nerds who are reading books and shit assume it's Locke, Macer from Nightfall, Buck, and Romeo or Micky I forget

Locke is confirmed. Buck is pretty much confirmed given the armor. If it is Buck, it would make sense to have Romeo as well. And the female would either be Macer or Tanaka.

Romeo. Although, he was never that big of a character so I could see 343 ditching him.

I see them heavily playing up the parallel angle so far, and Romeo has one of the more concrete roles of the two teams:

Chief / Locke (leader)
Kelly / Macer(?) (Scout, serves as second-hand to the leader, though it could likewise be Tanaka)
Linda / Romeo (More seasoned / grizzled-looking sniper)
Fred / Buck (Secondary male, emphasis on CQC with Buck's bowie knife / Skyline ending scene)

jem0208

You know, I may disagree with pretty much everything you say, but goddamn if you aren't a good sport. It hurts me to admit it, but I kinda root for you since you're the underdog around here.

<3

Honestly, it just doesn't bother me. I mean, I know most of what I say is going to be pretty controversial so the whole "bad opinion train" thing is kinda expected. I also don't mind standing my ground and defending my opinion. I'm just here to talk about Halo, so I'm not gunna let a few jokes get to me :)

Pretty sure we agree that the MCC was (still somewhat is) a complete mess though :p

Does anyone think that 343i should bring back the credits system for armor? They could use them to incentivize winning and tie it to achievements. Hopefully they don't do the exp or challenge system from Halo 4 if they go this route, well unless it's for objectives. Weapon challenges take focus away from winning.

I quite like the credit system...

The "+10 credits!" for each kill is genuinely kinda addicting...

Impala26

Just give me an improved firefight. Wasn't a big fan of Reach ff, something more like odst version. Have more emphasis on survival.

Indeed, Reach's FF was way too arcade-y for my taste.

Interesting though that the same debates about whether or not to have matchmaking or not for Destiny Raids sort of began with ODST Firefight. Emphasis on coordination and communication and the like that you likely couldn't hope to achieve with randos.

Does anyone think that 343i should bring back the credits system for armor? They could use them to incentivize winning and tie it to achievements. Hopefully they don't do the exp or challenge system from Halo 4 if they go this route, well unless it's for objectives. Weapon challenges take focus away from winning.

Make everything available then except for achievements and gamemode unlocks.

link1201

I'd rather they sell them and make maps free.

That would be pretty sweet, but I don't think they're doing component-by-component customization this time around; they'd need a massive number of variants and accessories to provide a decent store.

AlStrong

Indeed, Reach's FF was way too arcade-y for my taste.

Needs more options. :p I quite fully enjoy ploughing through a field of Elites in the bonus round.

Actually, the Locke armour trailer would be pretty fun to do in FF. ahem.

I still liked ODST-FF, but I don't think it needs to be an either-xor when it comes to offering these modes. :(

-Ryn

Banned
Forget FF
please don't

What about Moa Racing?

That would be pretty sweet, but I don't think they're doing component-by-component customization this time around; they'd need a massive number of variants and accessories to provide a decent store.
I just would like Reach level customization back in. Have a bunch of cool armor stuff that needs to be unlocked via certain feats (ala Halo 3) and a bunch of whatever armor. They can sell armor packs via micro transactions if people don't want to grind for them.

Welcome to the world of an anime artist

Top Bottom