• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

The Halo 4 and Team Hardcore playlists are now available in Matchmaking. Team Hardcore currently includes Halo 2 Classic game types. Halo 3 tournament-approved game types will be integrated in a future update. Other fan favorite playlists are also in the works, including Team Snipers, Team Doubles, an objective-only playlist, and more – stay tuned for details regarding when these will become available as featured playlists. As always, playlists data and feedback will determine which playlists become permanent additions to the playlist lineup.

Another Halo 2 playlist, just what MCC needed

Definitely feel like Halo 4 playlist is running turbo. I don't use the BR (Carbine is so much cooler guys!), but I totally see enemies getting 4 hit kills on me.

What about it do you dislike?

Personally, it's the most fun I've had in any Halo's competitive multiplayer.

It doesn't feel like a Halo game to me. The gun play feels off, none of the weapons feel like their old counterparts. I HATE the ADS, I play bumper jumper and I cant get used to it on the stick. If I could make a custom layout that might help.

I base player movement is slow and they gimped the Jump again. It feels like ODST almost or Reach. I get that they needed to do this for clamber but I would have liked to see clamber as a extra thing. Like you just miss the jump but can grab the ledge. Here, its a Titanfall copy and I dont like it. Again, I dont mind clamber but if you watch the vidocs they specifically changed maps to accommodate it. Why? Some of these I could just jump to before.

Sprint might have some drawbacks for the player this time but it doesn't stop people from running all over the place. The base player movement is slow but the fast pace to me is sprint based.

Again, it could be ADS but I find a lot of people pinging from across the map. I rarely get into old school BR battles. The AR is so effective you are better off using that at mid range, especially for me since I am struggling landing shots. I think H4 has better gun play, shit Destiny feels more like Halo gun play than this and it also has ADS.

This game just doesn't connect with me. It probably connects with people who love modern shooters since it borrows a lot from those. If you play H2A even, it's a lot different than this.

Finally the campaign being 80% about a protagonist I could care less about doesn't help.

Ramirez

It doesn't feel like a Halo game to me. The gun play feels off, none of the weapons feel like their old counterparts. I HATE the ADS, I play bumper jumper and I cant get used to it on the stick. If I could make a custom layout that might help.

I base player movement is slow and they gimped the Jump again. It feels like ODST almost or Reach. I get that they needed to do this for clamber but I would have liked to see clamber as a extra thing. Like you just miss the jump but can grab the ledge. Here, its a Titanfall copy and I dont like it. Again, I dont mind clamber but if you watch the vidocs they specifically changed maps to accommodate it. Why? Some of these I could just jump to before.

Sprint might have some drawbacks for the player this time but it doesn't stop people from running all over the place. The base player movement is slow but the fast pace to me is sprint based.

Again, it could be ADS but I find a lot of people pinging from across the map. I rarely get into old school BR battles. The AR is so effective you are better off using that at mid range, especially for me since I am struggling landing shots. I think H4 has better gun play, shit Destiny feels more like Halo gun play than this and it also has ADS.

This game just doesn't connect with me. It probably connects with people who love modern shooters since it borrows a lot from those. If you play H2A even, it's a lot different than this.

Finally the campaign being 80% about a protagonist I could care less about doesn't help.

oh

RowdyReverb

Definitely feel like Halo 4 playlist is running turbo. I don't use the BR (Carbine is so much cooler guys!), but I totally see enemies getting 4 hit kills on me.

I just played a game using BR and didn't get any 4 shots. Could be user error though, who knows? Also, H4 feels weird after so much H5. Find myself using the Thruster AA now because I'm so accustomed to it, but it is much more clumsy and slow feeling than H5's thruster.

jem0208

Mechanically ADS's effect is rather small. The only actual change due to ads is an increased range for automatics. Also the BR is far better at mid range than the AR. You're generally screwed if you try to use it against a competent BR user.

As for the gunplay, I don't really see what you mean. It feels just like classic Halo, except more skillful due to the reduced aim assist. Maybe you're just not used to having less aim assist?

With clamber, I can see your point. I really like it as a feature but they've designed the maps too heavily around to it. Far too many of the jumps require clamber. I also agree that the base movement speed is too slow.

Also source on the campaign stuff? Because I haven't seen anything been revealed...

Halo 5 is not a good Halo game at all. I have to question what Halo games you have played if you say this.

I've played all of them extensively, bar CE's multiplayer.

I think it's an excellent game and a very good take on the classic Halo formula. I think it has that Halo feel nailed down and the new mechanics work very well together to create a Halo that is both fresh and familiar.

Mechanically ADS's effect is rather small. The only actual change due to ads is an increased range for automatics. Also the BR is far better at mid range than the AR. You're generally screwed if you try to use it against a competent BR user.

As for the gunplay, I don't really see what you mean. It feels just like classic Halo, except more skillful due to the reduced aim assist. Maybe you're just not used to having less aim assist?

With clamber, I can see your point. I really like it as a feature but they've designed the maps too heavily around to it. Far too many of the jumps require clamber. I also agree that the base movement speed is too slow.

Also source on the campaign stuff? Because I haven't seen anything been revealed...

I've played all of them extensively, bar CE's multiplayer.

I think it's an excellent game and a very good take on the classic Halo formula. I think it has that Halo feel nailed down and the new mechanics work very well together to create a Halo that is both fresh and familiar.

It ruins the formula by adding movement options that ruin the flow and individual skill. Getting outgunned? Run away! You can go from being outgunned to sprinting like the Flash across the map instantly and your opponent is left there asking what he did wrong. One shot because you put yourself in a bad position? Thruster away! Not to mention the map design is horrible, the power weapons are almost useless and lack of power ups is worse than ever before... It's just not a good arena shooter.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual

When did you start playing Halo?

Zoom/ADS has always been on the stick for bumper jumper.

Also Halo 5 feels more like Halo 2 & 3 than any of the previous entries. Opinions and such...

abadguy

Banned
Halo 5 is not a good Halo game at all. I have to question what Halo games you have played if you say this.

Played all of them Halo 5 is a great Halo game and the most fun i have had playing MP.

It ruins the formula by adding movement options that ruin the flow and individual skill. Getting outgunned? Run away! You can go from being outgunned to sprinting like the Flash across the map instantly and your opponent is left there asking what he did wrong. One shot because you put yourself in a bad position? Thruster away! Not to mention the map design is horrible, the power weapons are almost useless and lack of power ups is worse than ever before... It's just not a good arena shooter.

Sorry but running away does not work in this game and it's been shown time and time again with people getting picked off while sprinting because their shields are recharging. Thrusters don't always get you out of trouble either since there is a cool down. This game plays like every other Halo except with more movement options. Biggest difference in "flow" is now team work is more important and you'll find thatoften going lone wolf will get you killed pretty quickly.

When did you start playing Halo?

Zoom/ADS has always been on the stick for bumper jumper.

Also Halo 5 feels more like Halo 2 & 3 than any of the previous entries. Opinions and such...

I played 2 but not as much online. 3 I played like crazy online. The ADS screws with my head. I am to used to ADS on left trigger. It seems unnatural. I think the left trigger is faster, especially in motion.

I don't see how this feels even a little like Halo 3. If you took Halo out of the title it could be a new game.

Played all of them Halo 5 is a great Halo game and the most fun i have had playing MP.

Sorry but running away does not work in this game and it's been shown time and time again with people getting picked off while sprinting because their shields are recharging. Thrusters don't always get you out of trouble either since there is a cool down. This game plays like every other Halo except with more movement options. Biggest difference in "flow" is now team work is more important and you'll find thatoften going lone wolf will get you killed pretty quickly.

I completely disagree with almost everything here. In Halo 1, you didn't need to rely on your teammates at all. The pistol was so good that if you were good enough, you could win games by yourself. Increased need for teamwork is definitely not a good thing considering a majority of the time you get matched up with complete strangers with different skill sets.

I can make a documentary on all the ways sprint ruins the game. I've already seen dozens on dozens on dozens of videos in Halo 5 where people simply sprint away even when an enemy lays down perfect Shots. "Well just chase them down then!!!" See, that would work if when you ran after them your weapon stayed up, but unfortunately for you, when you sprint your weapon lowers and you are forced to chase after someone hoping they don't thruster around and clamber like an asshole.

This game plays completely different than the core 3, which also SHOCKINGLY happened to be the most popular. It takes a good 2 or 3 games to figure out the many ways in which this game plays almost nothing like the original 3 games.

^ this.

It's more difficult to kill. It's so easy to 4-5 shot in H4. In H5 its significantly harder.

Probably true but aim assist has been in Halo for a long time so if it doesnt feel like Halo that may be part of the reason why as well. I'm not arguing the skill gap but I dont think I ever likes or disliked a game based on how good I was at it. I can wreck people with my Titan in Destiny but that doesn't mean I think its a great game. I am probably better in H4 than H3 but 3 is my favorite Halo game.

Tawpgun

I'm strafing jumping out-bring people while fast fluid precise gameplay in a sci fi setting with shielded armored super soliders that fight to control weapons on map

Feels like halo imo

I completely disagree with almost everything here. In Halo 1, you didn't need to rely on your teammates at all. The pistol was so good that if you were good enough, you could win games by yourself. Increased need for teamwork is definitely not a good thing considering a majority of the time you get matched up with complete strangers with different skill sets.

I can make a documentary on all the ways sprint ruins the game. I've already seen dozens on dozens on dozens of videos in Halo 5 where people simply sprint away even when an enemy lays down perfect Shots. "Well just chase them down then!!!" See, that would work if when you ran after them your weapon stayed up, but unfortunately for you, when you sprint your weapon lowers and you are forced to chase after someone hoping they don't thruster around and clamber like an asshole.

This game plays completely different than the core 3, which also SHOCKINGLY happened to be the most popular. It takes a good 2 or 3 games to figure out the many ways in which this game plays almost nothing like the original 3 games.

This is true, I find people sprint after getting hit once. So they still have 75% or so shield. I think the randomness is part of the problem. You are going to have a rough time with randoms here. If you are on your own forget it.

http://youtu.be/qGY7flT8e_E

I'm sure this video has already been posted here, but c'mon.........

That's pretty close to my experience so when I say I struggle to land shots this is part of it. That's why I put people are running around all over the place as well. This started because I said I wasn't going to buy the game, I'm not the only one. Look at Team Beyond. Lots of competitive players there do not like this game.

Ramirez

So what? Did you not see this guy sprint around with his head cut off for a minute straight?

A minute straight? It's a bunch of different game clips totaling one minute. He misses all shots with the DMR, then drops down and tries to chase with an AR.

Video proves nothing, other than the player being bad.

There is a lot of AR warriors in this game. They also crouch camp and wait for you to come around. You basically have no chance against that.

I don't know how to respond to this without being rude. Quit rushing in blindly, and assess the situation maybe?

Defect

Yeah, you're wrong. It's really easy to escape battles. You're a Bronze so you aren't facing people who abuse thruster and sprint.

It's my main issue with the game.

Ramirez

Yeah, you're wrong. It's really easy to escape battles. You're a Bronze so you aren't facing people who abuse thruster and sprint.

It's my main issue with the game.

Thruster is much more of a problem than sprint, yet I never see people saying remove it.

A minute straight? It's a bunch of different game clips totaling one minute. He misses all shots with the DMR, then drops down and tries to chase with an AR.

Video proves nothing, other than the player being bad.

I don't know how to respond to this without being rude. Quit rushing in blindly, and assess the situation maybe?

The conversation is about why this doesn't feel like Halo. It has nothing to do with me rushing in, because of the play mechanics you are seeing this now. Halo to me is not being pinged across the map, sprinting like a madman, crouching with an AR or running superspeed with a sword. It was all about the one on one encounters and yes team play but I could always match up with randoms and for the most part have a chance. I dont know thats true anymore.

Look, I could deal with thrusters and clamber the way I described it. I don't mind mixing it up but you guys are not saying the game is different, you are just defending it. I am saying it's different and I don't like it.

-Ryn

Banned
Made with MS Paint? IDK, that's a pretty low bar, even for 343i. Oh well, I'm sure it would still look better than ADS.
I was kind of curious so I googled it and HOLY PIXEL BUSTING JEBUS!!

powerdraw_by_Diamonster.jpg

lockout_rocket-gicell.jpg

boston-based-artist-patrick-hines-has-created-some-amazing-images-using-ms-paint-this-photo-is-an-ode-to-a-scene-from-harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hollows.jpg

red_shirts_line_art_ms_paint_by_patrickhines-d5tgo8e.png

aviatorbabefinal.jpg

Gift_Art_in_MS_Paint_by_ill_coupre.jpg

2391609617_00f8ed3100.jpg

ms_paint_hatsune_miku_pixel_art_made_in_school_by_haneoka_san-d60bj0b.png

18g3t6wxmvdpfjpg.jpg

Guys. Guys. Guys...

I'm Superman.
lol nice.

I wonder if the shockwave could completely redirect the rocket like a grav hammer? That'd be sweet.

From what I've seen you can still be an effective fighting force on your own, but as with Halo CE, one competent player vs 4 competent players is probably gonna end with the one respawning. If you catch them on their own or a little spread out sure, but you can't always just run in guns blazing expecting to live.

If I recall correctly, until you're at full sprint speed, a single shot will knock you out of it. So just sprinting away mid fight isn't really viable. There've been plenty of arguments about whether sprint can work in Halo already and I trust I won't change your mind on that.

If someone outplays you with their mobility though then that's your fault. They don't have anything you don't. Learn the maps and abilities so next time you can cut that person off or outplay them some other way. Halo has always had on emphasis on map movement.

The core 3 didn't have much competition in the market until CoD4. After that it was a constant battle as the market kept expanding.

I've seen plenty of ways the game plays just like the previous games. However it also has its own twists which add something fresh to the formula like SA's. Some of the changes do need some work and others need a toggle (looking at you ADS) but the core gameplay has remained intact from what I've seen.

I think a lot of Hardcore fans would disagree
I know a lot of hardcore fans would agree that it feels like Halo

Most people here are "hardcore" fans.

Ramirez

The conversation is about why this doesn't feel like Halo. It has nothing to do with me rushing in, because of the play mechanics you are seeing this now. Halo to me is not being pinged across the map, sprinting like a madman, crouching with an AR or running superspeed with a sword. It was all about the one on one encounters and yes team play but I could always match up with randoms and for the most part have a chance. I dont know thats true anymore.

Look, I could deal with thrusters and clamber the way I described it. I don't mind mixing it up but you guys are not saying the game is different, you are just defending it. I am saying it's different and I don't like it.

Halo has always been about getting pinged from across the maps with a BR, or with a DMR on BTB since Reach. Scrubs crouching and watching radar has always been around, but it's never going to win anyone a game, lol. The sword is useless in this game. I play solo a lot in this beta, against high level players and win 50/50.

I just don't think you've very good at the game and it's frustrating you, I really don't know how else to say it.

Thruster isn't unlimited. You can basically sprint across the entire map over at leisure. The penalty is not enough and honestly the base player movement is so slow that people have no choice.

You cannot sprint if people are shooting you...and I barely sprint at all and do fine.

Posted last night,

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...boxclips.com/YourExWife+ohhh...a-bbf488ece192

I feel like this is what you're complaining about, and these kids are performing terribly with the tactics you're lamenting.

Tawpgun

Thruster isn't unlimited. You can basically sprint across the entire map over at leisure. The penalty is not enough and honestly the base player movement is so slow that people have no choice.

Yeah but in terms of pure getting the fuck out ability, thrust is better than sprint.

Madness

One thing I don't like about the ranking is how much the initial ten matches matter. It's crazy to think that those ten games can place you at the highest rank. Let's also say you had a few bad games, or went in with randoms and you get placed Silver. The sheer climb needed to go up to onyx or semi-pro is ridiculous.

I want to know what the stats are on how much people moved up or down. From my anecdotal observation most people just stayed at or near the rank they were given because they'd win and go up a bit, lose and go down a bit etc.

I was kind of curious so I googled it and HOLY PIXEL BUSTING JEBUS!!

lol nice.

I wonder if the shockwave could completely redirect the rocket like a grav hammer? That'd be sweet.

From what I've seen you can still be an effective fighting force on your own, but as with Halo CE, one competent player vs 4 competent players is probably gonna end with the one respawning. If you catch them on their own or a little spread out sure, but you can't always just run in guns blazing expecting to live.

If I recall correctly, until you're at full sprint speed, a single shot will knock you out of it. So just sprinting away mid fight isn't really viable. There've been plenty of arguments about whether sprint can work in Halo already and I trust I won't change your mind on that.

If someone outplays you with their mobility though then that's your fault. They don't have anything you don't. Learn the maps and abilities so next time you can cut that person off or outplay them some other way. Halo has always had on emphasis on map movement.

The core 3 didn't have much competition in the market until CoD4. After that it was a constant battle as the market kept expanding.

I've seen plenty of ways the game plays just like the previous games. However it also has its own twists which add something fresh to the formula like SA's. Some of the changes do need some work and others need a toggle (looking at you ADS) but the core gameplay has remained intact from what I've seen.

I know a lot of hardcore fans would agree that it feels like Halo

Most people here are "hardcore" fans.

All I know is Halo 4s population fell off of a cliff and all I hear about Halo 5 is negativity. Neogaf is a small portion of the larger portion that seems to dislike Halo 5.

Relying on teammates proves this games individual portion is flawed.

lol

the whole point of a team game in halo's case is teamwork. It'd be different if it were FFA.

This is the first game since 3 I've felt like you could actually take out a whole team single-handedly as long as you had your space ducks in a space row. Barring Incineration Cannons you couldn't do it a whole lot in 4, and you sure as hell couldn't do it in Reach save for that one time on Boardwalk in the HaloGAF Montage.

Tawpgun

All I know is Halo 4s population fell off of a cliff and all I hear about Halo 5 is negativity. Neogaf is a small portion of the larger portion that seems to dislike Halo 5.

All you hear about H5 is negativity?

Umm.

Where are you listening? This game has been getting a lot of praise from many people in HaloGAF old and new, most of whom hated Reach and 4.

Yeah there's some negativity and criticism but that has happened with EVERY Halo game release.

Relying on teammates proves this games individual portion is flawed.
I actually feel more powerful solo in this game than any Halo game since Halo 2.

Top Bottom