• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

All you hear about H5 is negativity?

Umm.

Where are you listening? This game has been getting a lot of praise from many people in HaloGAF old and new, most of whom hated Reach and 4.

Yeah there's some negativity and criticism but that has happened with EVERY Halo game release.

I actually feel more powerful solo in this game than any Halo game since Halo 2.

Neogaf is an extremely small portion of the Halo community. And I don't know what to say about you feeling power. I felt like an absolutely monster in CE and all I had was a pistol.

Haruko

I don't know what this is implying but this is the absolute truth. If you have to rely on a teammate to kill one fucking player when he's weak that's a serious issue.

Or that guy could stop chasing the red dot on his radar with an AR and actually try to anticipate where the fleeing enemy is going and work to cut him off...

-Ryn

Banned
All I know is Halo 4s population fell off of a cliff and all I hear about Halo 5 is negativity. Neogaf is a small portion of the larger portion that seems to dislike Halo 5.
That's because H4 was a complete mess of a game. It was missing tons of content and features that had been standard in past Halo games, most of the additions in gameplay were just fluff on top of the core gameplay and 343 did a terrible job with communication.

Halo 5 looks nothing like H4 did (not talking visually). Personally I think it could be an even better and more worthy successor than H3 or even H2.

Most of the comments I've heard from NeoGaf have been positive so I don't know what you're talking about there.

CliQ

I only had to listen to the first 10 seconds before I realised this guy is completely bias. He's entitled to his opinion and so am I. What I would recommend doing is playing the game yourself, make your own little review in your head, and if you like it, play it. if not, then don't.

Halo has been different every time a title comes out. There is no one master Halo that is the rule of thumb which dictates what the next Halo should be. Voice your opinion, and speak out with your wallet if you don't like it. Plus, why would you pay for something you don't like?

That's because H4 was a complete mess of a game. It was missing tons of content and features that had been standard in past Halo games, most of the additions in gameplay were just fluff on top of the core gameplay and 343 did a terrible job with communication.

Halo 5 looks nothing like H4 did (not talking visually). Personally I think it could be an even better and more worthy successor than H3 or even H2.

Most of the comments I've heard from NeoGaf have been positive so I don't know what you're talking about there.

Like I said. Neogaf is a very small portion of the Halo community. Go read r/Halo, TeamBeyond.net, and even Halowaypoint, which is usually pro anything 343 does. They are all negative.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
AR is never a guaranteed kill at medium range...I've tried plenty of times to AR someone that's BRing me...I typically get killed everytime, unless I have really bad aim.

I'd like to see 343's weapon stats from the beta, that's the only way to get the facts.

I think I got my free month from 343, my Gold was supposed to expire today, but I got an email from Xbox Live that it expires in a month from now instead.

Anyway, thanks 343, I was running low on cash today and wasn't sure if i'd be able to afford another 3 month just yet.

Ramirez

One thing I don't like about the ranking is how much the initial ten matches matter. It's crazy to think that those ten games can place you at the highest rank. Let's also say you had a few bad games, or went in with randoms and you get placed Silver. The sheer climb needed to go up to onyx or semi-pro is ridiculous.

I want to know what the stats are on how much people moved up or down. From my anecdotal observation most people just stayed at or near the rank they were given because they'd win and go up a bit, lose and go down a bit etc.

I was placed in Onyx 1, dropped to Gold 3, then worked my way up to Semi. It's not the insurmountable task you seem to think it is, heh.

Tawpgun

Neogaf is an extremely small portion of the Halo community. And I don't know what to say about you feeling power. I felt like an absolutely monster in CE and all I had was a pistol.

I felt like a complete monster in CE also. I could take on tanks, hogs, banshees and ghosts in Big Team Matches on blood gulch. But that was on PC where people couldn't aim for shit due to the netcode.

In MCC I feel like I kill one guy super quick and then get 3 shotted from across the map. Dunno if it was like that on the Xbox but its way too easy to kill in CE.

In H5 a good shot and some good evasion can win 2 on 1's. Plenty of toys in the arsenal now.

^ Started from gold 3 now im here (semi pro)

-Ryn

Banned
Like I said. Neogaf is a very small portion of the Halo community. Go read r/Halo, TeamBeyond.net, and even Halowaypoint, which is usually pro anything 343 does. They are all negative.
I'm sure there are plenty of people who feel negatively about the game. However In sure there are just as many if not more who feel positively. Both old Halo fans and new alike. I mean you said you've heard nothing but negative from NeoGaf when it's been almost the opposite.

jem0208

It ruins the formula by adding movement options that ruin the flow and individual skill. Getting outgunned? Run away! You can go from being outgunned to sprinting like the Flash across the map instantly and your opponent is left there asking what he did wrong. One shot because you put yourself in a bad position? Thruster away! Not to mention the map design is horrible, the power weapons are almost useless and lack of power ups is worse than ever before... It's just not a good arena shooter.

First off, it doesn't ruin flow. It's changed, it may not be what you expected or what you wanted, however it's not ruined. Movement has finally become a major part of the gameplay. I, and it appears many others, actually really enjoy this new aspect of the gameplay. The skill in the game is no longer just about how well you can aim, how well you can outmaneuver your opponent is a major aspect now, far more than previously (IMO).

The individual skill in the game is also extremely important. This game has one of the highest skill gaps of any Halo. The lower aim assist combined with movement requiring a lot more skill makes the gap very wide. I've played people who I could completely dong on, and then played others who I could barely get a kill from. If you're good enough you can completely steam roll the other team, I have no idea where you're getting this idea that individual skill has disappeared because from all I've played and seen that couldn't be further from the truth. The number of times I've had to carry my team to victory has been more in this beta than in any other Halo I've played.

I actually sat through all of this. His bias seems to seep into every single word. A couple of his points seem reasonable, but the majority screams "This is different and so I don't like it" to me.

http://youtu.be/qGY7flT8e_E

I'm sure this video has already been posted here, but c'mon.........

This video is ridiculous, the chasing playing is just playing awfully. There were so many opportunities where they could have intercepted the people running away. Also the player can't aim; of course you're not going to kill anyone if they're constantly outmaneuvering you and you can't hit them. Basically, git gud.

I completely disagree with almost everything here. In Halo 1, you didn't need to rely on your teammates at all. The pistol was so good that if you were good enough, you could win games by yourself. Increased need for teamwork is definitely not a good thing considering a majority of the time you get matched up with complete strangers with different skill sets.

I can make a documentary on all the ways sprint ruins the game. I've already seen dozens on dozens on dozens of videos in Halo 5 where people simply sprint away even when an enemy lays down perfect Shots. "Well just chase them down then!!!" See, that would work if when you ran after them your weapon stayed up, but unfortunately for you, when you sprint your weapon lowers and you are forced to chase after someone hoping they don't thruster around and clamber like an asshole.

This game plays completely different than the core 3, which also SHOCKINGLY happened to be the most popular. It takes a good 2 or 3 games to figure out the many ways in which this game plays almost nothing like the original 3 games.

I completely disagree with almost everything here. In Halo 1, you didn't need to rely on your teammates at all. The pistol was so good that if you were good enough, you could win games by yourself. Increased need for teamwork is definitely not a good thing considering a majority of the time you get matched up with complete strangers with different skill sets.

In Halo 1, you didn't need to rely on your teammates at all. The pistol was so good that if you were good enough, you could win games by yourself. Increased need for teamwork is definitely not a good thing

Increased need for teamwork is definitely not a good thing

Whut? I mean seriously? Not only are you wrong about the importance of individual skill, but you actually believe encouraging team work is a bad thing?

You think requiring teamwork to win in Team Slayer is a bad thing?

Amazing lol
^ this.

It's more difficult to kill. It's so easy to 4-5 shot in H4. In H5 its significantly harder.
Significantly harder? Sometimes I feel like I'm playing a different game from you guys..

Only weapons more difficult to use in H5 compared to H4, and not by a large margin, are the Magnum and DMR. AR is much easier, BR is easier and doesn't have H4's recoil, LR is easier, Sniper is probably more difficult (close call because it's flinch vs the obstructive scope), Sword is easier, SMG is easier than the Suppressor, Rocket is the Rocket.

-Ryn

Banned
Amazing lol

Significantly harder? Sometimes I feel like I'm playing a different game from you guys..

Only weapons more difficult to use in H5 compared to H4, and not by a large margin, are the Magnum and DMR. AR is much easier, BR is easier and doesn't have H4's recoil, LR is easier, Sniper is probably more difficult (close call because it's flinch vs the obstructive scope), Sword is easier, SMG is easier than the Suppressor, Rocket is the Rocket.
#humblebrag

Ramirez

Amazing lol

I think Halo 5's sniper is on par with Halo 2, it's way too easy.

CliQ

I would like the masterpiece that is the Halo ce sniper back but ya know wish in one hand and shit in the other...

#humblebrag
Didn't mean to, just wanted to point out my thoughts on how the weapons feel lol. I'm like Vegeta, when you slap Bulma I surpass Goku, but most of the time I'm chillin with the dong loose and free.
I think Halo 5's sniper is on par with Halo 2, it's way too easy.
How about Halo 4? Scoping or unscoping, the aim assist is massive on those Snipers.

Speaking of Halo 4, excited to try out that playlist.
Would like the H3 sniper back, but with faster shot speed to compensate for faster movement.
Halo 3 Sniper is my favorite Sniper after CE. Felt great landing headshots with it and is my favorite slow-shooting Sniper.

EDIT:
I would like the masterpiece that is the Halo ce sniper back but ya know wish in one hand and shit in the other...
A fast-shooting Sniper with minimal aim assist is what I was hoping for with H5's UNSC Sniper.

TTUVAPOR

Banned

How dare you request something from HCE!!!!!

We must accept that HCE has come and gone...you want HCE, go play MCC.

sarcasm ;)

Ramirez

Didn't mean to, just wanted to point out my thoughts on how the weapons feel lol. I'm like Vegeta, when you slap Bulma I surpass Goku, but most of the time I'm chillin with the dong loose and free.

How about Halo 4? Scoping or unscoping, the aim assist is massive on those Snipers.

Speaking of Halo 4, excited to try out that playlist.

Halo 3 Sniper is my favorite Sniper after CE. Felt great landing headshots with it and is my favorite slow-shooting Sniper.

EDIT:
A fast-shooting Sniper with minimal aim assist is what I was hoping for with H5's UNSC Sniper.

Honestly, don't even remember much about Halo 4. I don't remember the sniper being hard to use aside from flinch though.

Halo 3 has the best sniper, IMO, aside from the hit detection problems.

Madness

I was placed in Onyx 1, dropped to Gold 3, then worked my way up to Semi. It's not the insurmountable task you seem to think it is, heh.

Onyx 1 and Gold 3 are near identical in terms of skill. Going up from Onyx 1 to Semi-Pro is impressive though. Never said it was a herculean task to go up levels. But imagine you were placed Silver 2, you honestly think it would be easy to go up to semi-pro where you'd belong? And that's just a hypothetical because it seems like initial placement, as wonky as it may seem, does work. The people who are good, are placed in Onyx and Semi-Pro. But, and I'm not including myself here, I've just observed that your initial ten matches matter the most and if you screw it up, it's a long grind of straight wins to try and get back up.

Karl, any more delusional than people begging for sprint's removal every day or the many other things people long for?

Arguable imo, but I don't think it's fair to perpetuate the image of delusional CE fans despite the possible best solution being to buff the Magnum. Lesser-skilled players hate BR starts and competitive players hate AR/Magnum starts as we currently have them.

EDIT:
Those people are usually one in the same.
And the people not asking for it are those who didn't experience CE to its fullest. Both of our statements are anecdotal though, so who really knows.

Ramirez

Onyx 1 and Gold 3 are near identical in terms of skill. Going up from Onyx 1 to Semi-Pro is impressive though. Never said it was a herculean task to go up levels. But imagine you were placed Silver 2, you honestly think it would be easy to go up to semi-pro where you'd belong? And that's just a hypothetical because it seems like initial placement, as wonky as it may seem, does work. The people who are good, are placed in Onyx and Semi-Pro. But, and I'm not including myself here, I've just observed that your initial ten matches matter the most and if you screw it up, it's a long grind of straight wins to try and get back up.

But if you're good, how would you screw it up? Ten matches is quite a stretch to not "play at your level", lol.

Karl, any more delusional than people begging for sprint's removal every day or the many other things people long for?

-Ryn

Banned
lol I figured. Just poking fun.

Such imagery...

TTUVAPOR

Banned

If you have a solid team of four, you can most likely reach semi pro in a short time if you're half-way decent.

I doubt Walshy got pro status playing solo for his placement matches.

Tawpgun

Not really. People wanting sprint gone only have been doing so since Reach/2010
People who want ADS gone only want it gone since the footage leaked.

People who want the Halo 1 pistol and that gameplay back have been doing it since Halo 2 got released in 2004. That's commitment. Or something. Bet that chicken is fucked raw by now.

If you have a solid team of four, you can most likely reach semi pro in a short time if you're half-way decent.

I doubt Walshy got pro status playing solo for his placement matches.

This is an important point. No pro is gonna qualify at pro playing alone. MAYBE semi pro. But most likely Onyx or Gold

Ramirez

Casual players don't see the issues I guess...

ywE4Hhr.jpg

lol

the whole point of a team game in halo's case is teamwork. It'd be different if it were FFA.

This is the first game since 3 I've felt like you could actually take out a whole team single-handedly as long as you had your space ducks in a space row. Barring Incineration Cannons you couldn't do it a whole lot in 4, and you sure as hell couldn't do it in Reach save for that one time on Boardwalk in the HaloGAF Montage.

I'm assuming you never played Halo 1 or 2 than? In Halo 1 you could easily kill 3 or 4 people if you were good.

So the last 3 out of 4 games I played in strongholds, I had an AFK 'teammate'. impossible to win objective gametypes 3v4 and thus completely ruins the experience of the three people who are playing. They all AFK'd the WHOLE game too. What are they doing? Fucking cancer

First off, it doesn't ruin flow. It's changed, it may not be what you expected or what you wanted, however it's not ruined. Movement has finally become a major part of the gameplay. I, and it appears many others, actually really enjoy this new aspect of the gameplay. The skill in the game is no longer just about how well you can aim, how well you can outmaneuver your opponent is a major aspect now, far more than previously (IMO).

The individual skill in the game is also extremely important. This game has one of the highest skill gaps of any Halo. The lower aim assist combined with movement requiring a lot more skill makes the gap very wide. I've played people who I could completely dong on, and then played others who I could barely get a kill from. If you're good enough you can completely steam roll the other team, I have no idea where you're getting this idea that individual skill has disappeared because from all I've played and seen that couldn't be further from the truth. The number of times I've had to carry my team to victory has been more in this beta than in any other Halo I've played.

I actually sat through all of this. His bias seems to seep into every single word. A couple of his points seem reasonable, but the majority screams "This is different and so I don't like it" to me.

This video is ridiculous, the chasing playing is just playing awfully. There were so many opportunities where they could have intercepted the people running away. Also the player can't aim; of course you're not going to kill anyone if they're constantly outmaneuvering you and you can't hit them. Basically, git gud.

Whut? I mean seriously? Not only are you wrong about the importance of individual skill, but you actually believe encouraging team work is a bad thing?

You think requiring teamwork to win in Team Slayer is a bad thing?

These points are so backwards. How does it take skill to run around in circles aimlessly? In what ways is sprinting away WHEN YOU WOULD NORMALLY DIE a "skillful" thing. How is thrusting around corners, sprinting around corners, running away skillfull? Please explain in a way that's not "well it's skillfull because it takes skill to run in circles!"

Also, team work is absolutely important, but when you have to rely on teammates to kill one person, not a team, that's fucking dumb and an absolute joke.

No. Both parties are gonna need some learnin' about Bob Dylan and the times.
hahahahah nice

I know man, what I am is a rider on the storm. Born into CE and since Halo 2 I've been traveling on that dark, desolate road ever since. CE fans never asked for this journey we've been thrown into, and Halo 2's design is the squirming toad on the road and the fanbase is what we have to take by the hand to make them understand that there's a killer on the road.

Into this house we're born, into this world we're thrown. Our life will never end, gotta love your man, yeahhh the fellow Halo fan despite not knowing what's best for them.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I'm glad that a Sprint discussion was started. It keeps this thread fresh and free of repetitive topics.

-Ryn

Banned
These points are so backwards. How does it take skill to run around in circles aimlessly? In what ways is sprinting away WHEN YOU WOULD NORMALLY DIE a "skillful" thing. How is thrusting around corners, sprinting around corners, running away skillfull? Please explain in a way that's not "well it's skillfull because it takes skill to run in circles!"

Also, team work is absolutely important, but when you have to rely on teammates to kill one person, not a team, that's fucking dumb and an absolute joke.
Not a single person has said you need to rely on a team to kill a single person. Not sure where you're getting that.

As for skill in retreating, yeah it does actually take skill too get out of a hairy situation. Map awareness, knowledge of the best routes, quick reflexes, and timing. As others have pointed out, you can't just sprint away either since you need to be at full speed to not get shot out of it.

Running around constantly like an idiot isn't skilled play and doesn't use sprint properly.

I'm assuming you never played Halo 1 or 2 than? In Halo 1 you could easily kill 3 or 4 people if you were good.
I think your argument would be better served approaching it not from a general teamwork perspective because there was a SHIT TON of teamwork needed in CE to be effective (you can't 2v1 and think you'll win against good players, that shit only works against people who aren't timing and are unaware of the meta game), but from an angle of TEAM SHOOTING.

In later games you are pretty much required to team shoot to be effective, otherwise people can easily escape with thrusters and sprint while checking their OP motion tracker. Kill times went up after CE, so the power of an individual player was drastically impacted. It's a matter of team shooting (more specific under the umbrella of "teamwork").
I'm glad that a Sprint discussion was started. It keeps this thread fresh and free of repetitive discussion topics.
lol

Not a single person has said you need to rely on a team to kill a single person. Not sure where you're getting that.

As for skill in retreating, yeah it does actually take skill too get out of a hairy situation. Map awareness, knowledge of the best routes, quick reflexes, and timing. As others have pointed out, you can't just sprint away either since you need to be at full speed to not get shot out of it.

Running around constantly like an idiot isn't skilled play and doesn't use sprint properly.

I just want to let everyone know, if you haven't noticed, when you get shot, you don't stop sprinting. So yes, people still run away which rarely happened in previous Halo games.

jem0208

Running around in circles is a gross oversimplification. Sprinting wasn't really the aspect I was referring to anyway, thrusters is where skill comes into play. Effective usage of them requires skill, yes they're used to thrust around corners, but that's not their only use.

Also effectively sprinting away does require skill, depending on the situation. You need to know when and where to retreat, it requires very good map knowledge and excellent knowledge of the enemy movements and positions. You also need to be good at utilising the different movement options. If you're playing a competent team 90% of the time you will die if you just blindly run.

Oh, and if you're relying on teammates to kill one person, you suck. Plain and simple.

I actually really enjoy some of the cat and mouse gameplay. Getting away from a really hairy situation can be really exciting. Effectively intercepting and taking out someone who attempts to run away is also quite satisfying.

Ramirez

I just want to let everyone know, if you haven't noticed, when you get shot, you don't stop sprinting. So yes, people still run away which rarely happened in previous Halo games.

You cannot sprint away if you're getting shot, it keeps resetting. If a person reaches max speed, then they can run through shots.

Running around in circles is a gross oversimplification. Sprinting wasn't really the aspect I was referring to anyway, thrusters is where skill comes into play. Effective usage of them requires skill, yes they're used to thrust around corners, but that's not their only use.

Also effectively sprinting away does require skill, depending on the situation. It requires good map knowledge and excellent knowledge of the enemy movements and positions. If you're playing a competent team 90% of the time you will die if you just blindly run.

Oh, and if you're relying on teammates to kill one person, you suck. Plain and simple.

Maybe you are playing a sweet version of the game most of the Halo community isn't playing, but literally getting out of dodge and hauling ass down a corridor when you are one shot doesn't require "expert map knowledge". It doesn't require much of anything at all actually. All it requires you to do is turn around, hold down the button or stick, and run away as you sprint for as long as you want, with little to no consequence.

Top Bottom