• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Ramirez

jem pliss -- You need to team shoot to be effective in Halo 5 against good players, there's no way around it, especially with motion tracker.

Yes, all of the hate and vitriol needs to be aimed at the radar, it's awful.

^ No you can't dude, try running with the sword towards someone who is shooting you. It's the same when trying to run away, if people keep shooting you, you can't sprint, it's happened to me countless times.

Make some clips of all of these people escaping you, when you feel you should have got the kill. We have the easiest form of proof ever in the DVR, yet no one ever provides examples and just spouts hyperbole with no proof to back it up.

Madness

But if you're good, how would you screw it up? Ten matches is quite a stretch to not "play at your level", lol.

Those people are usually one in the same.

Ten matches with randoms at the start of the early early access. The first two or three matches I was just studying the mechanics for fun, picking up weapons, seeing how they worked, testing out different control schemes. Had I known how important those matches would be, or that it's just ten matches, I'd have definitely played differently. I wanted my rank reset as well. To see if it made a difference.

All I know is, for final retail release, I'm going to play social nonstop at the start, and then hopefully team up with the semi-pro here to backpack me up and see if I can maintain that.

Yes, all of the hate and vitriol needs to be aimed at the radar, it's awful.
Cannot be understated.
^ No you can't dude, try running with the sword towards someone who is shooting you. It's the same when trying to run away, if people keep shooting you, you can't sprint, it's happened to me countless times.
I agree with Proven on this, sprint is still extremely helpful with escaping a fight. Who's talking about standing in the open and trying to sprint away when shot first? I know I'm not and I'm sure ProvenDeadly isn't. There's some that needs to be assumed here like how good players aren't putting themselves in terrible positions where they're completely exposed without knowing what's going on around them. With a high sensitivity, I can't tell you how many times I've thrusted away while turning around, then start to sprint as they either miss shots or I'm already behind cover and need to get to a better position immediately.
I'm not saying team work isn't required. However if you're struggling to kill a player in a one on one battle you do suck.
Alright, clips or vids to show then? No one here is talking about missing most of their shots and battles between two players who aren't good at the game.

Ramirez

Ten matches with randoms at the start of the early early access. The first two or three matches I was just studying the mechanics for fun, picking up weapons, seeing how they worked, testing out different control schemes. Had I known how important those matches would be, or that it's just ten matches, I'd have definitely played differently. I wanted my rank reset as well. To see if it made a difference.

All I know is, for final retail release, I'm going to play social nonstop at the start, and then hopefully team up with the semi-pro here to backpack me up and see if I can maintain that.

If you need to be backpacked there, then you don't belong there! Where did you place in SH? I played all ten by myself and got Onyx 3, and that was with me only winning 4 matches.

^ But you guys are acting like it was impossible to do the same stuff in past Halo's. If you were in a long distant fight, it was extremely easy to back off and get into cover to heal up. In my personal experience, I wouldn't even need 2 hands to count the times someone has successfully sprinted away from me during a fight. Thruster on the other hand, is countless times.

jem0208

You are missing the point entirely and I cannot help you with that.

Alright, care to explain your point then? Because your exact words are:
Also, team work is absolutely important, but when you have to rely on teammates to kill one person, not a team, that's fucking dumb and an absolute joke.

Hardly ever have I had to rely on my team to kill a single person.

Alright, clips or vids to show then? No one here is talking about missing most of their shots and battles between two players who aren't good at the game.

Clips to show what? Me killing people without my team around?

Caja 117

Running around in circles is a gross oversimplification. Sprinting wasn't really the aspect I was referring to anyway, thrusters is where skill comes into play. Effective usage of them requires skill, yes they're used to thrust around corners, but that's not their only use.

Also effectively sprinting away does require skill, depending on the situation. It requires good map knowledge and excellent knowledge of the enemy movements and positions. If you're playing a competent team 90% of the time you will die if you just blindly run.

Oh, and if you're relying on teammates to kill one person, you suck. Plain and simple.

In Halo 5, Sprinting is the worst solution to try to escape death against a good team, at least most of the time.

One of my friends that I usually play with and has a high skill level, always tell us not to sprint in this game

Alright, care to explain your point then? Because your exact words are:

Hardly ever have I had to rely on my team to kill a single person.

Clips to show what? Me killing people without my team around?

When I showed a video of the guy sprinting away, someones response was "Well where were his teammates" in which I responded "If a game requires you to have your teammates around in order to kill one person than that game sucks"

^ But you guys are acting like it was impossible to do the same stuff in past Halo's. If you were in a long distant fight, it was extremely easy to back off and get into cover to heal up. In my personal experience, I wouldn't even need 2 hands to count the times someone has successfully sprinted away from me during a fight. Thruster on the other hand, is countless times.
Don't lump me in with Proven in that regard, I've agreed with Josh saying how escaping fights was always a "thing" in Halo. It sucks because he received some unnecessary hate for that even though he was being as honest and transparent in his beliefs as possible. That's what really.... reallyyyyyy frikkin sucks about 343's situation honestly; they have to constantly worry about a balance of being transparent enough to not receive unnecessary flak from people because Halo fans aren't really as open minded as they could be, especially not after so many years of disappointing decisions lol. Personally, I think they should care less and be blunt about everything because Halo 5 is going to sell millions regardless, and fans would probably appreciate that attitude a lot more once things are functioning properly with TMCC.

I don't find sprint as offensive as many others do despite thinking faster movement speed would be better.

-Ryn

Banned
You are missing the point entirely and I cannot help you with that.
What even is your point?

People keep offering counter points and you change the point.

Cannot be understated.

I agree with Proven on this, sprint is still extremely helpful with escaping a fight. Who's talking about standing in the open and trying to sprint away when shot first? I know I'm not and I'm sure ProvenDeadly isn't. There's some that needs to be assumed here like how good players aren't putting themselves in terrible positions where they're completely exposed without knowing what's going on around them. With a high sensitivity, I can't tell you how many times I've thrusted away while turning around, then start to sprint as they either miss shots or I'm already behind cover and need to get to a better position immediately.
Thruster is far more of an offender when it comes to escapes yet I don't see a single person saying it should be removed or nerfed.

Proven kept bringing up needing a whole team to kill a single guy. Jem was countering that point.

VinFTW

Lmao bye Felicia.

I wasn't aware that people who post on the world's foremost gaming forum could be considered casual,but what the fuck do i know

tumblr_n5jkswkyWA1rawb5do1_500.gif

Just grabbed prophets bane at the start of a truth match and got all ten swings in before I was put down. A frenzy right off the bat with the sword.

And they were gold and onyxs too so I felt pretty good about it...but how do I find the video now?

What even is your point?

People keep offering counter points and you change the point.

Thruster is far more of an offender when it comes to escapes yet I don't see a single person saying it should be removed or nerfed.

Proven kept bringing up needing a whole team to kill a single guy. Jem was countering that point.

Because the points are so backwards to what good players actually feel that it's not worth fighting about. I could write an essay, and believe me, I've seen essays on why sprint sucks in Halo, and even if they are valid, it will just be shoved aside as "oh man, there's clearly a bias here!"

VinFTW

Because the points are so backwards to what good players actually feel that it's not worth fighting about. I could write an essay, and believe me, I've seen essays on why sprint sucks in Halo, and even if they are valid, it will just be shoved aside as "oh man, there's clearly a bias here!"

I've listened to several Halo pros saying sprint works in Halo 5 on stream. Mikwen, for example, just said it the other night. You can probably find it on his archives (was on Orion).

343 doesn't deserve the personal threats, but they absolutely deserve the hate and the community detain. 4 years since 343 took over and Halo has turned into the sonic of shooters. Imagine Halo 4 falling off of a cliff in terms of population, and then with your next iteration, following the same formula. Not to mention releasing a joke of a game known as the Master Chief Collection. They don't deserve my open mindedness, I've been patient for FOUR years and the series is spiraling down.

A) Hyperbole much?
B) Cant even make original arguments/insults. Cyren said this.

jem0208

When I showed a video of the guy sprinting away, someones response was "Well where were his teammates" in which I responded "If a game requires you to have your teammates around in order to kill one person than that game sucks"

So no one should ever be able to escape then? If you engage someone in a position where they can easily escape and you either don't have the skill to effectively chase them (as shown in the video) or you aren't in a good position to kill them (also shown in the video), of course you'll need someone to clean up the kill. This has been the case in all Halos. The solution to that problem is either don't engage until you're in a position to kill them before they can escape or learn to navigate the maps successfully and intercept them. Or you can just take pot shots at them and hope your teammates take them out when they inevitably escape, which is exactly what that video showed.

In Halo 5, Sprinting is the worst solution to try to escape death against a good team, at least most of the time.

One of my friends that I usually play with and has a high skill level, always tell us not to sprint in this game

I'd tend to agree.

Don't lump me in with Proven in that regard, I've agreed with Josh saying how escaping fights was always a "thing" in Halo. It sucks because he received some unnecessary hate for that even though he was being as honest and transparent in his beliefs as possible. That's what really.... reallyyyyyy frikkin sucks about 343's situation honestly; they have to constantly worry about a balance of being transparent enough to not receive unnecessary flak from people because Halo fans aren't really as open minded as they could be, especially not after so many years of disappointing decisions lol. Personally, I think they should care less and be blunt about everything because Halo 5 is going to sell millions regardless, and fans would probably appreciate that attitude a lot more once things are functioning properly with TMCC.

I don't find sprint as offensive as many others do despite thinking faster movement speed would be better.

343 doesn't deserve the personal threats, but they absolutely deserve the hate and the community detain. 4 years since 343 took over and Halo has turned into the sonic of shooters. Imagine Halo 4 falling off of a cliff in terms of population, and then with your next iteration, following the same formula. Not to mention releasing a joke of a game known as the Master Chief Collection. They don't deserve my open mindedness, I've been patient for FOUR years and the series is spiraling down.

Caja 117

Well there is this 2015 Multilpayer rumor going around, if this is true, 343 is not the one to be blame for a lot of MCC problems.

I've listened to several Halo pros saying sprint works in Halo 5 on stream. Mikwen, for example, just said it the other night. You can probably find it on his archives (was on Orion).

That's like one person. How about Ogre 2, Hysteria, Ninja, Flamesword, Ace, all of Optic Gaming, Evil Geniuses, hating sprint? How about TeamBeyond.net, the most active Halo site today, putting up a poll where 95% of the people saying they don't like sprint? How about R/Halo putting up a similar poll and near 70% of the people saying they don't like sprint????

So no one should ever be able to escape then? If you engage someone in a position where they can easily escape and you either don't have the skill to effectively chase them (as shown in the video) or you aren't in a good position to kill them (also shown in the video), of course you'll need someone to clean up the kill. This has been the case in all Halos. The solution to that problem is either don't engage until you're in a position to kill them before they can escape or learn to navigate the maps successfully and intercept them. Or you can just take pot shots at them and hope your teammates take them out when they inevitably escape, which is exactly what that video showed.

I'd tend to agree.

:/ You are entitled to your opinion.

Just saying, motion tracker is the true enemy here. Sprint and thrusters are alright, definitely less problematic now that we have a generally effective weapon sandbox, so if we just united on motion tracker's removal then we'd see less stalemates and people being able to easily escape a fight.

Motion tracker helps immensely when regaining shields/health. When you run into cover, what do you do? Stare at the wall or check your motion tracker for those few seconds? Without motion tracker more pushes can be made and creativity can flow.

-Ryn

Banned
You keep assuming that we all have these opinions because we aren't "good players" or that we aren't "hardcore". Where the hell are you getting this from? You keep looking down on us with this weird presumption.

I've seen plenty of valid arguments against sprint plenty of valid arguments for it. It's not some black and white thing. Just because we disagree doesn't mean we don't see some of each others points. People have only said there was a bias regarding the video you linked and I have almost never seen that accusation thrown around here as a counter point.

Tawpgun

That's like one person. How about Ogre 2, Hysteria, Ninja, Flamesword, Ace, all of Optic Gaming, Evil Geniuses, hating sprint? How about TeamBeyond.net, the most active Halo site today, putting up a poll where 95% of the people saying they don't like sprint? How about R/Halo putting up a similar poll and near 70% of the people saying they don't like sprint????
HAlogaf might be a small part of the halo community. But people who participate in these halo communities, If you added them all up, are a minority compared to the general public

If you would like to see the larger portion of the community's opinion, I would recommend reading this. Other than that, I respect everyone's opinions, I just know that I, as well what feels like the large majority, dislike sprint, and therefore this game. I just don't want Halo to die, but Halo 4 failed miserably, and the Halo community as a whole seems to be pretty upset.

http://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/2qpdbm/surprising_poll_results_sprint_halo_does_the/

Madness

If you need to be backpacked there, then you don't belong there! Where did you place in SH? I played all ten by myself and got Onyx 3, and that was with me only winning 4 matches.

1v1 me bruh.

But you're right. But I'd want to see if I could maintain that rank. I played two matches of Strongholds. Got paired with the shittiest randoms ever, no one helping me capture, just hiding or trying to get kills. Lost both matches I played, thought damn, if I keep losing more, will probably get Bronze or something.

I'll try and see what happens and report back what I get. Knowing my luck and skill, probably Iron.

Following the same formula as Halo 4? I disagree. I keep an open mind because I genuinely think Halo 5 is already my favorite Halo other than CE, and that's a huge deal to me.
HAlogaf might be a small part of the halo community. But people who participate in these halo communities, If you added them all up, are a minority compared to the general public
Argument against that though is that the general public either doesn't give a damn about the finer details and just don't want to slog across maps any longer.

I think most would be fine with faster movement speed over sprint. Sprint's just an illusion.

This started just because I said I hope they fix MCC because I am not buying H5. Somehow it turns into a pissing contest and it must be people who don't like the game must suck.

Reach/H4 split the community. Some people feel like its still a negative direction and experience where Halo is going. Why is that so hard to understand? There are plenty of other forums and reddit where the negativity is mounting. These are major changes to an established game, glad some of you like it but a shit ton of other people don't.

ADS is a Halo game. "Oh, its just a cosmetic change" give me a break. As far as the you cant sprint when being shot. All I have to do is move or thrust when I'm hit once and then sprint. I wasn't great in Halo 3 at first but I wanted to keep playing. This is a totally different game now. I don't want a combination of other game things, I want a Halo game. This has parts of every other popular shooter (literally) in it.

VinFTW

If you would like to see the larger portion of the community's opinion, I would recommend reading this. Other than that, I respect everyone's opinions, I just know that I, as well what feels like the large majority, dislike sprint, and therefore this game. I just don't want Halo to die, but Halo 4 failed miserably, and the Halo community as a whole seems to be pretty upset.

http://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/2qpdbm/surprising_poll_results_sprint_halo_does_the/

We all don't want sprint, but we're also all not delusional to think it'll be taken out. It SHOULD be nerfed further, definitely. "Dislike sprint and therefor this game", such a false statement. Theres a thread on r/Halo's front page right now w/ people who like it. There's people on TB.net who love the game, and there's certainly plenty of people who would prefer no sprint but understand we aren't getting it. It works well enough right now and should be modified, for sure.

Ninja doesn't mind sprint, he's openly stated it works in H5 but would prefer it without. In fact, all of those people you mentioned like Halo 5, quite a bit. They've all at one point stated sprint works in H5 but would prefer it not having it.

As for Ogre 2, I saw when he first played it, he complained about no Ghandi hopping (in final game) and flinch (removed from final game). Don't think he's played enough to form a solid opinion on it. Wasn't he also one of the only supporters for bloom in Reach? Differing opinions and all.

Do yourself a favor bud, form your own opinion, make your own argument, find your own evidence. Don't go cry to Team Beyond, don't ask them to find YOU clips, and stop using pros (who like Halo 5) as examples.

As soon as you cried about us on Team Beyond you forfeited ANY part you had within this community. Do yourself a favor, stop posting here.

Is that the same person posting here?

Yes.

Following the same formula as Halo 4? I disagree. I keep an open mind because I genuinely think Halo 5 is already my favorite Halo other than CE, and that's a huge deal to me.

Argument against that though is that the general public either doesn't give a damn about the finer details and just don't want to slog across maps any longer.

I think most would be fine with faster movement speed over sprint. Sprint's just an illusion.

I mean it's a Beta with about 6 or so maps and a very small portion of the game, but it's nice to see you can form that opinion in such a small time.

As someone that required a fair amount of statistic courses to graduate, I can tell you that surveys, ESPECIALLY online surveys, are a terrible barometer to use.

We all don't want sprint, but we're also all not delusional to think it'll be taken out. It SHOULD be nerfed further, definitely. "Dislike sprint and therefor this game", such a false statement. Theres a thread on r/Halo's front page right now w/ people who like it. There's people on TB.net who love the game, and there's certainly plenty of people who would prefer no sprint but understand we aren't getting it. It works well enough right now and should be modified, for sure.

Ninja doesn't mind sprint, he's openly stated it works in H5 but would prefer it without. In fact, all of those people you mentioned like Halo 5, quite a bit. They've all at one point stated sprint works in H5 but would prefer it not having it.

As for Ogre 2, I saw when he first played it, he complained about no Ghandi hopping (in final game) and flinch (removed from final game). Don't think he's played enough to form a solid opinion on it. Wasn't he also one of the only supports for bloom in Reach? Differing opinions and all.

Do yourself a favor bud, form your own opinion, make your own argument, find your own evidence. Don't go cry to Team Beyond, don't ask them to find YOU clips, and stop using pros (who like Halo 5) as examples.

As soon as you cried about us on Team Beyond your forfeited ANY part you had within this community. Do yourself a favor and leave.

K

Karl2177

As for Ogre 2, I saw when he first played it, he complained about no Ghandi hopping (in final game) and flinch (removed from final game). Don't think he's played enough to form a solid opinion on it. Wasn't he also one of the only supporters for bloom in Reach? Differing opinions and all.

As soon as you cried about us on Team Beyond you forfeited ANY part you had within this community. Do yourself a favor, stop posting here.

Who are you?

Caja 117

This started just because I said I hope they fix MCC because I am not buying H5. Somehow it turns into a pissing contest and it must be people who don't like the game must suck.

Reach/H4 split the community. Some people feel like its still a negative direction and experience where Halo is going. Why is that so hard to understand? There are plenty of other forums and reddit where the negativity is mounting. These are major changes to an established game, glad some of you like it but a shit ton of other people don't.

ADS is a Halo game. "Oh, its just a cosmetic change" give me a break. As far as the you cant sprint when being shot. All I have to do is move or thrust when I'm hit once and then sprint. I wasn't great in Halo 3 at first but I wanted to keep playing. This is a totally different game now. I don't want a combination of other game things, I want a Halo game. This has parts of every other popular shooter (literally) in it.

Hmmm, so far everyone I know that Hated Reach and Halo 4, like Halo 5, so this "Shit ton" number isnt a correct amount.

Tawpgun

In most things I agree. But that general mass majority would feel sad if sprint was gone. Might not even play. I think 343 hit a near perfect balance of adding elements to halo for modernity sake, while not compromising the Halo gameplay. All while adding new combat additions that make it feel fresh.

Fuckin lol at people that think this is a continuation of halo 4. Must be blind. This feels like the sequel to Halo 3

Welcome to the Casual Club, enjoy your stay.

I'm sorry, but that is complete bullshit. Lots of us don't have the time needed to rank up in Halo 5. Especially considering the considerable amount of headache that goes into matchmaking and keeping fire teams together. If you and your group of dedicated XBL friends are willing to dedicate a considerable amount of time to the game and deal with all of the headache that goes into keeping your fireteam together that's fantastic. Lots of us don't have that luxury, and it's next to impossible to meet new people entering matchmaking solo because nobody uses mics and most are uninterested in joining fireteams post match.

I'm sure you'll say, "Oh, but you're on NeoGaf, you should be able to find people willing to play 24/7." In my experience, this has not ever been the case. There needs to be support in-game to assist with fireteam creation and matching up likeminded players. At the very least keeping a fireteam would be easier if the goddamn matchmaking functioned without excruciatingly long wait times and server errors and other glitches. I get this is a Beta, but it's something that has also been a major issue in MCC so goddamn it, I have the right to complain about it.

This "Hardcore" vs. "Casual" debate has to be one of the most asinine dialogues ever to be invented by the video game industry. It's a fucking marketing gimmick, and it's utterly meaningless.

Ramirez, I'm sure you're a great player. Perhaps even one worthy of your glorious semi-pro moniker (and I say that somewhat facetiously). But I'm also willing to bet that you have a community of equally decent players who are willing to communicate and play with you on a regular basis.

This beta and MCC is a phenomenally shitty experience for those of us that have to go matchmaking alone the vast majority of the time. The few times that I did find full party, the Halo 5 beta was a profoundly different and more enjoyable experience.

-Ryn

Banned

I and other people think it can be a great Halo game. Nobody here is having trouble believing or understanding that others just aren't as into it. It's the shaky points against it that are being argued.

Proven implying that the people here are "bad players", not "hardcore" enough, or straight up brainwashed though? How in the hell is that respecting an opinion?

If you or anyone else don't enjoy H5 then that's fine. It sucks that it doesn't appeal to you and I hope you're able to enjoy the MCC and find other games.

Sprint, thruster, dumb abilities, bad map design.... All of that in Halo 5

I'd be interested to see the population decline over the course of the 3-week beta. It definitely seems like many of the people that I played with during the first week of the beta have moved on to different games.

I want to note that the reason I post on these forums is because of the diversity of opinions and being in a more tightknit community, so I'm less interested in being heavily involved with one side or the other. I've reached a point in my Halo life where I want to just chill and occasionally
/frequently
post about how much I hate motion tracker
(and you should too!)
and have interesting discussions with all types of snowflakes!

We have SCRABS and PROS before BOS here, so it's usually interesting ;]
I mean it's a Beta with about 6 or so maps and a very small portion of the game, but it's nice to see you can form that opinion in such a small time.
You think I need more time than over 3,000 kills, 1d 8h of time played and more than over a couple hundred games played to feel the gameplay and see its potential? First game playing Halo 3 in 2007 I thought I had the wrong settings. First time playing Halo 2 in 2004 I was legitimately baffled and immediately knew the game I played for 3 years was not the game I was going into.

I think it's naive of you to think otherwise, especially considering I'm not a rando first-time Halo fan.

EDIT:
Fuckin lol at people that think this is a continuation of halo 4. Must be blind. This feels like the sequel to Halo 3
Honestly, this is what Halo 3 should have been imho. Halo 3 was the most offensive Halo to me at the time, not Halo 4 despite the perks and CoD influences. I've only grown to like Halo 3 because now at least we have access to all the games instantly, but I think it's the worst Halo game from a competitive perspective.

Top Bottom