• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

In most things I agree. But that general mass majority would feel sad if sprint was gone. Might not even play. I think 343 hit a near perfect balance of adding elements to halo for modernity sake, while not compromising the Halo gameplay. All while adding new combat additions that make it feel fresh.

Fuckin lol at people that think this is a continuation of halo 4. Must be blind. This feels like the sequel to Halo 3

This is the market 343 is targeting

Madness

To be honest, we haven't even seen anything about the campaign or the final multiplayer suite. Nobody here should be able to form a de facto opinion on whether this will or will not be a good Halo game. What if the campaign is better than CE or 3? What if it's even worse than Halo 2 or 4? What if Arena multiplayer is just 3 playlists, and the rest are Infinity style? What if BTB is Infinity style? There are so many variables that affect whether this game will be a meaningful addition to Halo.

My own gripes with ADS, Sprint, Killcams, ranking and some abilities aside, this is a fun game. I have fun playing, especially with a decent team. I'd have more fun if zoom/scope was classic style for sure.

As for whether opinions on communities matter, they do. Not as much as they'd think, but we've seen vocal minorities on Internet can shape how a game is perceived.

Impala26

loud-noises.jpg

Just another day on HaloGAF I suppose...

And Proven, where exactly is your empirical evidence that the Halo 5 Beta has been disliked by a majority of players?

-Ryn

Banned
I'm sorry, but that is complete bullshit. Lots of us don't have the time needed to rank up in Halo 5. Especially considering the considerable amount of headache that goes into matchmaking and keeping fire teams together. If you and your group of dedicated XBL friends are willing to dedicate a considerable amount of time to the game and deal with all of the headache that goes into keeping your fireteam together that's fantastic. Lots of us don't have that luxury, and it's next to impossible to meet new people entering matchmaking solo because nobody uses mics and most are uninterested in joining fireteams post match.

I'm sure you'll say, "Oh, but you're on NeoGaf, you should be able to find people willing to play 24/7." In my experience, this has not ever been the case. There needs to be support in-game to assist with fireteam creation and matching up likeminded players. At the very least keeping a fireteam would be easier if the goddamn matchmaking functioned without excruciatingly long wait times and server errors and other glitches. I get this is a Beta, but it's something that has also been a major issue in MCC so goddamn it, I have the right to complain about it.

This "Hardcore" vs. "Casual" debate has to be one of the most asinine dialogues ever to be invented by the video game industry. It's a fucking marketing gimmick, and it's utterly meaningless.

Ramirez, I'm sure you're a great player. Perhaps even one worthy of your glorious semi-pro moniker (and I say that somewhat facetiously). But I'm also willing to bet that you have a community of equally decent players who are willing to communicate and play with you on a regular basis.

This beta and MCC is a phenomenally shitty experience for those of us that have to go matchmaking alone the vast majority of the time. The few times that I did find full party, the Halo 5 beta was a profoundly different and more enjoyable experience.
YwgbT16.gif

Tawpgun

This is the market 343 is targeting
Am I in it? Because I am liking halo 5

But reach was fuckin awful and Halo 4 was even worse garbage.

To me, they are redeeming themselves.

You say GAF is brainwashed and delusional but I dunno if you were here during reach and h4 but GAF tore those games and 343 to shreds

lmfao Ryn
I can't wait until the Halo 5 population dips and the excuses come again.
Population will dip if they focus on either side of the coin too much. What they need to invest resources into is that fully realized Firefight mode that has PvP and is structured like Invasion ;] That will get the masses.

VinFTW

You say GAF is brainwashed and delusional but I dunno if you were here during reach and h4 but GAF tore those games and 343 to shreds

Nah Tawp, we're a bunch of brainwashed sheep making excuses for 343i!

We're the downfall of Halo in the flesh!

Madness

I'd be pretty disappointed if Firefight is cut again in favor of more episodic Spartan Ops style stuff. Give me something like Horde 2.0 from Gears 3 meets Reach Invasion meets ODST Firefight, meets Dominion from Halo 4.

I'm sorry, but that is complete bullshit. Lots of us don't have the time needed to rank up in Halo 5. Especially considering the considerable amount of headache that goes into matchmaking and keeping fire teams together. If you and your group of dedicated XBL friends are willing to dedicate a considerable amount of time to the game and deal with all of the headache that goes into keeping your fireteam together that's fantastic. Lots of us don't have that luxury, and it's next to impossible to meet new people entering matchmaking solo because nobody uses mics and most are uninterested in joining fireteams post match.

I'm sure you'll say, "Oh, but you're on NeoGaf, you should be able to find people willing to play 24/7." In my experience, this has not ever been the case. There needs to be support in-game to assist with fireteam creation and matching up likeminded players. At the very least keeping a fireteam would be easier if the goddamn matchmaking functioned without excruciatingly long wait times and server errors and other glitches. I get this is a Beta, but it's something that has also been a major issue in MCC so goddamn it, I have the right to complain about it.

This "Hardcore" vs. "Casual" debate has to be one of the most asinine dialogues ever to be invented by the video game industry. It's a fucking marketing gimmick, and it's utterly meaningless.

Ramirez, I'm sure you're a great player. Perhaps even one worthy of your glorious semi-pro moniker (and I say that somewhat facetiously). But I'm also willing to bet that you have a community of equally decent players who are willing to communicate and play with you on a regular basis.

This beta and MCC is a phenomenally shitty experience for those of us that have to go matchmaking alone the vast majority of the time. The few times that I did find full party, the Halo 5 beta was a profoundly different and more enjoyable experience.

excuses excuses.

-Ryn

Banned
lmfao Ryn

Population will dip if they focus on either side of the coin too much. What they need to invest resources into is that fully realized Firefight mode that has PvP and is structured like Invasion ;] That will get the masses.
Would love that soooooooo much.
Seriously I hope the Elites return as playable characters. I still hold Invasion as my favorite game mode of all Halo time. If they mixed FF with Invasion...

dvNfFc7.gif

I've listened to several Halo pros saying sprint works in Halo 5 on stream. Mikwen, for example, just said it the other night. You can probably find it on his archives (was on Orion).

A) Hyperbole much?
B) Cant even make original arguments/insults. Cyren said this.

That's like one person. How about Ogre 2, Hysteria, Ninja, Flamesword, Ace, all of Optic Gaming, Evil Geniuses, hating sprint? How about TeamBeyond.net, the most active Halo site today, putting up a poll where 95% of the people saying they don't like sprint? How about R/Halo putting up a similar poll and near 70% of the people saying they don't like sprint????
Neither of your posts are productive.
We already know Halo 5's maps are specifically designed to accommodate spartan abilities (mainly sprint, evidently), but at least they're not garbage compared to Halo 4's maps, right? RIGHT!?!?

No.

Than what about the Halo 4 population?

Gutting gamemodes and regressing with features introduced with prior installments was probably a factor.

jem0208

lmfao Ryn

You know, on paper firefight just sounds boring to me. Stay in one spot and continually defend it against waves of enemies.

Whenever it happens in a campaign of any game I groan.

But add a scoring system and lives and suddenly it becomes absolutely awesome. ODST's firefight was some of the most fun I've had on Halo. I don't know why, but Reach just didn't cut it.

Great .gif. How was that a joke? There is a lot of dick wagging in here about their Halo 5 beta rank. None of which has been ironic in any shape or form.

Great .gif though. Always good to see people who know how to post .gifs or memes instead of contributing anything useful to the conversation.

Great .gif. How was that a joke? There is a lot of dick wagging in here about their Halo 5 beta rank. None of which has been ironic in any shape or form.

Great .gif though. Always good to see people who know how to post .gifs or memes instead of contributing anything useful to the conversation.

Hey I take my Bronze 3 ranking very seriously. I am offend

Would love that soooooooo much.
Seriously I hope the Elites return as playable characters. I still hold Invasion as my favorite game mode of all Halo time. If they mixed FF with Invasion...

Oh man, Invasion made up a serious chunk of my Reach playtime.
Elite Slayer and Headhunter were also nice additions too.

-Ryn

Banned

Um...

Casual players don't see the issues I guess...
What's your rank in the beta, Proven? Anything less than Pro is casual.
I have onyx rank 3. I lead my team in kills every game, but I usually end up with players without thumbs who go 2-16
Welcome to the Casual Club, enjoy your stay.
?

Hey I take my Bronze 3 ranking very seriously. I am offend

Using 4-chan syntax in your posts. That's pretty neat!

Look, I'm happy that people are enjoying this beta. That is fine. I'm making a larger point about the massive technical issues that plague this game, and the fact that it's nearly impossible to meet new people and create and maintain a complete fireteam.

Look, I'm happy that people are enjoying this beta. That is fine. I'm making a larger point about the massive technical issues that plague this game, and the fact that it's nearly impossible to meet new people and create and maintain a complete fireteam.

Man, you are fucking pissed off. I recommend caring less.

Or being less of a dick. No one likes a self-righteous jerk who thinks he is so right and active with his 700 posts in 7 years.

e; oh it's half that. nvm.

Overdoziz

Banned

Looks like someone got a bad case of the casuals.

Ramirez

I'm sorry you wasted your time writing that, I really am.

It was a joke because he insinuated everyone here was a casual.

I didn't read any of that, because you were replying to sarcasm. :(

heckfu

Banned

R u ok

this has to be a heckfu alt right

Karl, any more delusional than people begging for sprint's removal every day or the many other things people long for?

Arguable imo, but I don't think it's fair to perpetuate the image of delusional CE fans despite the possible best solution being to buff the Magnum. Lesser-skilled players hate BR starts and competitive players hate AR/Magnum starts as we currently have them.

EDIT:
And the people not asking for it are those who didn't experience CE to its fullest. Both of our statements are anecdotal though, so who really knows.

Yes, an improved pistol would improve Halo 5.

I'm sorry you wasted your time writing that, I really am.

It was a joke because he insinuated everyone here was a casual.

I didn't read any of that, because you were replying to sarcasm. :(

Yes, he incorrectly insinuated that everyone here was "casual." He is wrong. I don't believe in this hardcore vs. casual nonsense, but whatever he is wrong. I didn't call out him, because I didn't care for his comment.

I called out you, because you seem to think that anyone with a low rank in the game does not deserve to criticize this game. Look back at some of your posts in this thread. It's not just in your sarcastic comment to some fool who claimed NeoGaf isn't "hardcore."

Yes, there's always certain amount of Halo players that will call out everything as being "cheap" when in reality, the game is fair and it's just poor shooting, playing or whatever... Yes those people are wrong and annoying. That's fine, if that's what your saying, that's fine.

The problem is I don't think that's what you're saying. In your posts for a good portion of this thread you're saying that anyone who is below a certain rank has no right to criticize this game, and that is where I disagree with you.

A functioning matchmaking is important. A competent team that works together and uses mics is important. If not, it doesn't matter how good you are... you will frequently be matched with people who either AFK or go -10 K/D. And I'm willing to bet that the majority of people who are AFK are AFK because the matchmaking searches take too damn long (just like in the MCC). If that has not been your experience, count yourself lucky.

If motion tracker was disposed of, do you guys think it'd be worth including a small "ally tracker" of sorts that didn't have any radar functions, but illustrated the direction your teammates were, like how the perimeter of H5G's motion tracker works?

Ramirez

Yes, he incorrectly insinuated that everyone here was "casual." He is wrong. I don't believe in this hardcore vs. casual nonsense, but whatever he is wrong. I didn't call out him, because I didn't care for his comment.

I called out you, because you seem to think that anyone with a low rank in the game does not deserve to criticize this game. Look back at some of your posts in this thread. It's not just in your sarcastic comment to some fool who claimed NeoGaf isn't "hardcore."

Yes, there's always certain amount of Halo players that will call out everything as being "cheap" when in reality, the game is fair and it's just poor shooting, playing or whatever... Yes those people are wrong and annoying. That's fine, if that's what your saying, that's fine.

The problem is I don't think that's what you're saying. In your posts for a good portion of this thread you're saying that anyone who is below a certain rank has no right to criticize this game, and that is where I disagree with you.

A functioning matchmaking is important. A competent team that works together and uses mics is important. If not, it doesn't matter how good you are... you will frequently be matched with people who either AFK or go -10 K/D. And I'm willing to bet that the majority of people who are AFK are AFK because the matchmaking searches take too damn long (just like in the MCC). If that has not been your experience, count yourself lucky.

Well, I would certainly love to see these posts I've made where I said people couldn't criticize the game. I've heavily criticized certain aspects of it myself!

You seem really mad, maybe you should sleep on it bud.

I was, as the Brits say, takin' the piss on that guy because he seems to think anyone who isn't irate over sprint is a casual, which is ludicrous when it comes to any aspect of the game. Hardcore or casual, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Hell, the only time I can remember saying anything out of the way to anyone was the guy I said "I don't know how to say this without coming off rude", because really, I don't want to, but I didn't know how else to say it.

I'll be the first to tell you, I'm pretty terrible at the game in the grand scheme of things.

I would have been happy to play with you, as I've played with a lot of new people here over the course of the beta, but you seem kinda aggro. It goes against my southern hospitality nature.

Please, i would never write anything as sad as "it's impossible to meet new people" on a gigantic Internet forum.

It's for my personal diary only.

It's not impossible. The game just makes it a struggle. Persistent matchmaking issues, long wait time, and the party-chat bug where sometimes you're in a party but you're actually in game chat only, or the other party chat bug where you're in a party but nobody else is able to hear you. These are all real things that plague both MCC and the Halo 5 beta. If the MCC fucking worked like they promised I'd chalk it up to the fact that Halo 5 is just a "beta" but this is something that plagues both games... one of which is supposedly a finished project. The matchmaking in this game is fucking atrocious, and I truly think you're delusional if you think otherwise. Just watch 343 continue to flush your beloved franchise down the drain.

I played a ton of Halo 2 back when XBL was new. We didn't have dedicated servers, but there were clans, most people used mics, it was easy to add and join fireteams, and finding games usually always worked. Here we are 10 years later and we're given an inferior service.

Friendly indicators are still important and hopefully they're in the game for launch, but a radar that displays teammate positions may be alright, although possibly superfluous at that point.

Tawpgun

Why don't we resolve this dispute like gentlemen

1 v 1 lockout

HAlogaf might be a small part of the halo community. But people who participate in these halo communities, If you added them all up, are a minority compared to the general public

Yep, take the largest registered userbase linked to GTs at Waypoint as approx. 600,000. Now take Halo 4 sold what 9million, minus 50% for campaign only and you're at approx 13% of the audience playing multiplayer.

Sure it's a BS stat but it's an indication of how little online forums make up out of the people who buy or play the game. Also don't forget the split/various opinions within that 13%. So the hardcore or casuals that appear so vocal are probably representing less than 5% directly, although as far as sample sizes and interactions go it's a solid insight to community. At least now 343i have brought regular online voting and bulletin content to the matchmaking process, moving forward I'd like to see a simple opt-in star rating per player during in game carnage report too.

jem0208

Friendly indicators are still important and hopefully they're in the game for launch, but a radar that displays teammate positions may be alright, although possibly superfluous at that point.

Friendly indicators are okay, however I feel like an ally only radar provides a much better overview. You get a top-down view that gives you both the exact direction and distance to your allies without you having to look around. Indicators give you a general direction and require you to stop and look around to find the exact direction.

-Ryn

Banned

tumblr_moq07a0Cvc1qjs73so1_400.gif

Dude, I can't say I have ever seen Ram seriously say you can't criticize something if you aren't a certain rank or skill level. The entire comment was sarcasm.

Top Bottom