• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

-Ryn

Banned
Have you still yet to get an XB1 yet Ryn?
Sadly yes. Which is a major bummer as I was hoping to play the beta with you guys.

I worked 3 weeks for my last job and didn't get paid a dime.

Luckily I just got a new job at Subway. So here's hoping 3rd time's a charm in Oregon.

Has anyone got any links to previous HaloGAF Community Montages I can watch?

I've seen nscuduncan's Reach montage, and I'm sorry to say that The GAF Planet, or anything equal to it would be appearing in the one I'm working on...

Yeah, playing randies this feels like a completely different game, and not always in the best way. Smart people can just be way to successful staying on the defensive.
Just had a game on Truth end at 41-36, the radar is so fucking stupid with competent players.

If a game of 4v4 in your arena mode fails to reach the score limit, there is a serious design flaw.

I know those pros working at 343 know this, so please listen to them. There's no radar in Breakout, nor should there be one in your ultra competitive arena mode.
An exhilarating game of TS on Truth ends at 35-35. /kappa
It's the Smash 4 of Halo: faster gameplay with several improvements, but is still very defensive. Both being held back by design choices.

A couple small changes and this game could be so much better. Played some TMCC again and sprint is still unnecessary if they'd increase base speed. It's depressing sometimes to know* Halo could be so much better if they made some of these changes and accepted that Halo 5 is going to sell millions regardless of motion tracker being changed to sound/health-based or sprint being replaced with faster base speed and the shield recharge mechanic being shifted to the thrusters -- I'm starting to think that would be the best option seeing as how thrusters are more helpful than sprint when escaping fights.

Impala26

It's the Smash 4 of Halo: faster gameplay with several improvements, but is still very defensive. Both being held back by design choices.

A couple small changes and this game could be so much better. Played some TMCC again and sprint is still unnecessary if they'd increase base speed. It's depressing sometimes to know* Halo could be so much better if they made some of these changes and accepted that Halo 5 is going to sell millions regardless of motion tracker being changed to sound/health-based or sprint being replaced with faster base speed and the shield recharge mechanic being shifted to the thrusters -- I'm starting to think that would be the best option seeing as how thrusters are more helpful than sprint when escaping fights.

I too think this would be a good idea with the thrusters resetting the shield recharge delay. Thrusters DEFINITELY change battles/save players far more than sprint does. That's the only sort of small nerf that I think would be feasible for thrusters, otherwise they work fine in terms of distance, being instantly omni-directional (something you can't do with sprint) and with it's approximate 4-5 second recharge time.

TTUVAPOR

Banned

I've basically accepted the fact that no matter how vocal we are, the only thing we can do is vote with our wallets. Publishers don't care about how the fans enjoy the game, they want to see sales numbers. The last good solid FPS that was original, innovative, and brought something fresh to the shooter space was Shadowrun for Xbox 360, however, due to poor sales, MSFT canned FASA Studios and shut them down...which is really unfortunate.

I used to have a buddy who worked for Kaos Studios, the guys who made Frontlines Fuel of War, published by THQ, he and I talked all the time about what the game industry is like...and while we can bitch and moan on the forums all we want, it doesn't make much difference. There's a design plan and no forum pro is going to deter the design plan of a game.

My buddy told me that after Frontlines Fuel of War came out, their sales were bad, I don't even think they broke more than 300K copies sold. They were allowed a sequel by THQ...thus they didn't make a sequel to Frontlines per say, instead, Homefront came out.

Through the development of Homefront, he told me how closely they were studying Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare. Hell, their lead producer had a blog with short videos analyzing how they designed aim down the sights for COD and the deadzones on the controller, how quickly the ADS came up the moment you pulled the trigger, etc. He said they were determined to make the game as enjoyable as COD...this is where they already failed before the game even came out.

Homefront comes out...it's got a snazzy marketing campaign to it, and people bought it...but then what happens? The game sucks. The same did better sales than Frontlines but still not enough to satisfy THQ, so as a result, THQ shuts down Kaos Studios. The game simply was horrible. They focused so much on trying to copy COD, that the game ended up being bad, really bad. It was sad too because my buddy didn't know what was going to happen with his job. He told me that's just the way the video game industry is. No amount of forum banter to their lead producer telling them to STOP COPYING COD mattered either.

So...for me personally, this trend isn't going to stop. Right now we have COD AW, Titanfall, and Halo 5, all similar. They all have thruster packs, aim down the sights, futuristic themes to them, ground pounding, full-auto spray weapons with little challenge to them, etc. Battlefield franchise is the only one not going that route...yet. Hardline comes out in spring this year...cops and robbers...whooopty dooo, it's probably going to be really bad. Then we have Star Wars Battlefront...hopefully that's good, then Titanfall 2, then Rainbow Six Siege...finally returning to their roots so Ubisoft says.

The outlook of FPS games being original and innovative and sticking to their original brand/core is scarce...but I think a few franchises are willing to do it. The others will just continue the race of trying to copy one another and be the best of whatever the latest FPS trends are.

I've pretty much given up on the Battlefield franchise, I think they dropped the ball big time, and while I love modern-day military shooters, I think the next actual Battlefield game, which will be Battlefield 5, is just going to be a spin-off of the futuristic theme going on in shooters today. It's sad because Battlefield can be a good game if they just stop trying to copy the trends in the industry and just be themselves.

What I don't understand is, why do publishers/devs think they can't stand on their own with their own unique designs and concepts? Why do they think they have to cater/design elements of their game to fit or make familiar to someone who's played COD?

Since when did COD define what an FPS needs to be? I just don't get it. I understand COD4 sold a shit ton of copies...but do publishers/devs actually think they're going to be the next "big" thing in gaming by continuously copying what they do year after year?

Sorry for the novel of a post, but sometimes I can't stop once I start thinking about this stuff and I love reading industry news/trends. Helps me understand why shit is the way it is...e.g., ADS in Halo 5.

EDIT: Also, when the one 343 guy said on Beyond Entertainment forums that sprint is in Halo 5 because it's what players today expect....who determined that? Where's the research? So what if it's what players expect...do what Halo expects of itself.

I'm willing to bet that the next Halo game is going to probably go straight-up ADS COD-style...because by that time, we're all gonna expect it right?

Tawpgun

shout-out to Ian for not realizing the AR's ammo counter actually counts your ammo until the H5G beta.

what

Sword dodge and shooting a nade leads to a triple

Ground pound to take out sword dude

Juking the SHIT out of the sword guy and ground pounding him. Pretty much only thing the Radar is good for

It was kinda useless but I did intentionally shoot a grenade

Not only is the sun fucking DUMB on Orion but the lighting engine itself is super weird... or this red dude has some kind of Chameleon camo armor ability I don't know about. Why the fuck did he blend in so well?
Camo Spartan wtf

RowdyReverb

I'm going to miss Halo 5 next week. I wonder how long it will be until we see anything else from the game after the beta ends. E3 seems so far away; surely we'll see/hear something before then, right? Or will the focus return to MCC and the coming ODST remaster

I'm going to miss Halo 5 next week. I wonder how long it will be until we see anything else from the game after the beta ends. E3 seems so far away; surely we'll see/hear something before then, right? Or will the focus return to MCC and the coming ODST remaster

I think its gonna be MCC up till halo 5 campaign reveal at e3 and then we will never hear from MCC again as its swept under a rug only to appear with games with gold sometime next year

Played Halo 4 last night and had some fun. Definitely like that game more now that we have instant access to the other games. Kind of made me dislike Clamber despite initially liking it (I like it a little less, but still welcome it) and hate (more than I already did) Ground Pound needing the crouch button to activate because it destroys crouching jumping.

Mdot

Was playing some more beta last night. The more I play it, the more I enjoy honestly. Things still need to be tweaked like certain weapons, but the new movement has been integrated well. I'm still struggling to find a control scheme I like. I have it on 4 right now, but the crouch being on B is a pain in my ass and unusable.

What has everyone been using?

Was playing some more beta last night. The more I play it, the more I enjoy honestly. Things still need to be tweaked like certain weapons, but the new movement has been integrated well. I'm still struggling to find a control scheme I like. I have it on 4 right now, but the crouch being on B is a pain in my ass and unusable.

Bumper Jumper because it's the only way.

The only issue is that scope on R3 has a massive disadvantage to LT.
Map control. Higher ground wins because you can't see shit.

343, don't remove or tone down your volume lights.

VinFTW

Bumper Jumper because it's the only way.

The only issue is that scope on R3 has a massive disadvantage over LT.

yeah, rather annoying, but I really love bumper jumper. As long as crouch jumping is back in the final game and the controls are tweaked for the better, bumper jumper is gonna be my launch controller settings

jem0208

Played Halo 4 last night and had some fun. Definitely like that game more now that we have instant access to the other games. Kind of made me dislike Clamber despite initially liking it (I like it a little less, but still welcome it) and hate (more than I already did) Ground Pound needing the crouch button to activate because it destroys crouching jumping.

I can still crouch jump in 5.

#TeamToggleCrouch7

The Prophets bane is full on bullshit. I'm not sure if it's lag or what, but I'm seeing people swipe at mid air and I'm dying. Even though they clearly completely missed.

^ I really hope they change it too.
You can still crouch jump in H5 but its gotta be fast. Like a quick button press.
I know, but it's still problematic. Sometimes I like jumping and holding crouch so I can stay that way when I land, especially when jumping on top of platforms, but can't do that anymore (Toggle crouch zzzzzz). Repeatedly pressing crouch in the air is an issue too.

Recon.

I used bumper jumper initially, but since you rarely beat down anybody in Halo 5 I realized having melee on the bumper was a waste (Recon has thruster on a bumper, which is much more useful).

Tawpgun

It is the year two thousand and fifteen

Halo needs to have custom button mapping. And custom audio options. Marty O'Donnel never liked custom audio options because he liked HIS mix being final but now that he's not in the picture just let us mess with audio levels.

As for the fear of custom mapping leading to confusion... Include your pre-set button layouts, but also include a CUSTOM option that lets you map it.

Nebula

It is the year two thousand and fifteen

Halo needs to have custom button mapping. And custom audio options. Marty O'Donnel never liked custom audio options because he liked HIS mix being final but now that he's not in the picture just let us mess with audio levels.

As for the fear of custom mapping leading to confusion... Include your pre-set button layouts, but also include a CUSTOM option that lets you map it.

Best post 2015

Do us all a favour 343 and give us sound options. Please.

Melees are still totally feasible. You just have to accept that your going to have to shoot them first before running in for the kill, which for me was hard to swallow. After years of Halo Reach double pummeling I really have to stop my old sprinting around ways.

And I really don't want thruster to force the shield cool down to reset. If you're behind cover and they chuck a nade only for you to thruster to another piece of cover I think you're playing well. Now trying to sprint away from every battle with no thought of cover? Sure the new mechanic is very punishing for those players. I've certainly had to curb my old sprint away immediately habits. But I still use the hell out of sprint I'm just more decisive about it.

Fuchsdh

Seems like discouraging use of thruster would just lead to more defensive plays. As it is, thruster does seem to have reduced sprint use, but I would have considered that A Good Thing as perceived by HaloGAF in general.

tumblr_lgdg20XWE61qgfevpo1_400.gif

"Watch the birdie!!!"

Yea, both of those games were really boring for me. I'm way too aggressive, and end up playing like shit.
I've tried drilling into my friends that it's not an exaggeration, they HAVE TO play extremely defensive when playing against good players. Like..... reallyyyyyy slow. Most of my friends aren't too great at Halo and they've always had difficulty conforming to how the game requires you to play in order to succeed.

I just want to be creative with my approaches and outsmart my enemy without having to crawl around or hope they're not watching the radar. I don't think it's fair because they're the demographic motion tracker is for, but it's hurting them more than anything and no matter what I do it just doesn't stick with them. Motion tracker hurts all of us.

Tawpgun

Yea, both of those games were really boring for me. I'm way too aggressive, and end up playing like shit.

I've tried drilling into my friends that it's not an exaggeration, they HAVE TO play extremely defensive when playing against good players. Like..... reallyyyyyy slow. Most of my friends aren't too great at Halo and they've always had difficulty conforming to how the game requires you to play in order to succeed.

I just want to be creative with my approaches and outsmart my enemy without having to crawl around or hope they're not watching the radar. I don't think it's fair because they're the demographic motion tracker is for, but it's hurting them more than anything and no matter what I do it just doesn't stick with them. Motion tracker hurts all of us.
Yeah whenever I play alone I get the most kills on my team.

But also the most deaths lol. I love rushing into an area to get a kill. If I see 2 blips you bet your ass I'm going in head first. I live for those B I G P L A Y S

If I'm playing with a team I'll play to win. But solo I tend to play for fun unless its a really close match, then I dial it down.

nillapuddin

Me: "My CSR is shit in Strongholds, I'm gunna see if I can do some mid day boosting."

*gso' by The Henerey*

Yeah nvm, its fine where it is.

So just as a frame of reference, I'm pretty sure that over my lifetime I'm like a 1.3 KD player, with a 70% winning percentage. I was placed Gold III in Slayer and Breakout, so I thought that was pretty fair. In strongholds I was playing solo and lost the majority of my placement matches :( so I'm working my way up from silver. I don't have any huge issue with the way the system works for now.

CliQ

I play extremely aggressive as well. I won't hold a spot unless the pace of the game has changed to where I should do that. That usually only occurred when it's like 45-48 and I'm down. Normally I just sprint and thruster offensively to get the better positioning on someone. Plus I love ground pound and charge so that adds more fuel to my bloodlust.

Haruko

Watching Ninja stream; been a while since I last watched. He's ground pounding a lot... and pretty effectively. Been pretty cool to see.

Tawpgun

Watching Ninja stream; been a while since I last watched. He's ground pounding a lot... and pretty effectively. Been pretty cool to see.

Once you get it down its pretty easy and useful. There are some cases when it is clearly the right move to get the job done. Most people use it kinda dumb.

Mdot

Once you get it down its pretty easy and useful. There are some cases when it is clearly the right move to get the job done. Most people use it kinda dumb.

Had somebody do it to me yesterday in a match on Empire of the Territories variant (or whatever it's called now). I was capturing turbine room and he was hovering above where I couldn't see him, towards the sniper. Must have jumped from the cylinder. Solid move.

Haruko

Yeah, I've just started to use it the last few nights (short GPs like you said). I'm playing with Halo 4 controls, after a decade+ of Default and learning Universal Bumper Jumper on HMCC. I end up not hitting B/Crouch often in H5B, but it's not as bad for GP as I initially feared

Tawpgun

Anyone watched ninja's stream right now?

He got matched against bronzes and silvers and went 42 and 0 in his 50-3 victory hahaha

Haruko

Anyone watched ninja's stream right now?

He got matched against bronzes and silvers and went 42 and 0 in his 50-3 victory hahaha

There was an Iron ranked opponent, too.

I know beta population is low, but Iron against a 2200+ Pro... well, it ended as expected.

Impala26

There was an Iron ranked opponent, too.

I know beta population is low, but Iron against a 2200+ Pro... well, it ended as expected.

Really hoping this isn't the case with the final product. My personal experience through this beta jumping into any playlist solo with randys you either dong or you GET donged on. The only close, competitive matches I've had have only been with one (or more) buddies.

Really hoping this isn't the case with the final product. My personal experience through this beta jumping into any playlist solo with randys you either dong or you GET donged on. The only close, competitive matches I've had have only been with one (or more) buddies.

I've been in close competitive matches, but of the completely wrong kind, eg. it's 48-50 but one team has a guy who went 26-7 with superbad teammates (or one guy who went 7-26 with decent teammates). Halo 5's not the first Halo to do that, but it still is pretty dumb.

Impala26

I've been in close competitive matches, but of the completely wrong kind, eg. it's 48-50 but one team has a guy who went 26-7 with superbad teammates (or one guy who went 7-26 with decent teammates). Halo 5's not the first Halo to do that, but it still is pretty dumb.

It HAS to be the low player pop of the beta though right? I can never recall getting matched with so many random teammates that go in the negative 13 to 16 K-D ballpark, not even in the Reach days, lol.

Glass

I'm going to guess its due to population numbers, going on my circumstantial experience. First week I was really impressed by the number of evenly matched games, had lots of 50-45 or 50-48 finishes. More recently the ranks and gaps in score have been much bigger.

Top Bottom