• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Well, I would certainly love to see these posts I've made where I said people couldn't criticize the game. I've heavily criticized certain aspects of it myself!

You seem really mad, maybe you should sleep on it bud.

I was, as the Brits say, takin' the piss on that guy because he seems to think anyone who isn't irate over sprint is a casual, which is ludicrous when it comes to any aspect of the game. Hardcore or casual, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Hell, the only time I can remember saying anything out of the way to anyone was the guy I said "I don't know how to say this without coming off rude", because really, I don't want to, but I didn't know how else to say it.

I'll be the first to tell you, I'm pretty terrible at the game in the grand scheme of things.

Gotcha, I think we're fine here. I have nothing against you personally and I probably came in at the wrong time. I think there is a fair criticism to be made about sprint, but it looks like your posts were directed towards one individual in particular and not the larger question about whether or not sprint is a useful/interesting/fun mechanic in Halo games. I apologize.

I came off a really bad night of Halo 5 beta last night filled with lots of long wait times and server issues, and I realize I sound like a grumpy old man. I'm just getting fed up with 343 in general. Spent a couple hours playing MCC Halo CE and it's basically as broken as it was at launch... perhaps marginally better. I wish I could play MCC when the beta ends, but it doesn't look like that will be an option unless the next patch magically fixes everything.

Ramirez

Gotcha, I think we're fine here. I have nothing against you personally and I probably came in at the wrong time. I think there is a fair criticism to be made about sprint, but it looks like your posts were directed towards one individual in particular and not the larger question about whether or not sprint is a useful/interesting/fun mechanic in Halo games. I apologize.

I came off a really bad night of Halo 5 beta last night filled with lots of long wait times and server issues, and I realize I sound like a grumpy old man. I'm just getting fed up with 343 in general. Spent a couple hours playing MCC Halo CE and it's basically as broken as it was at launch... perhaps marginally better. I wish I could play MCC when the beta ends, but it doesn't look like that will be an option unless the next patch magically fixes everything.

You can find tons of posts by me in past threads wanting sprint out, but at some point, we have to concede that it's not going anywhere in modern FPS game design. I just feel the nerfs they've put on it are a pretty good compromise compared to Reach/4.

Anyways, it's all good.

abadguy

Banned
I'd be interested to see the population decline over the course of the 3-week beta. It definitely seems like many of the people that I played with during the first week of the beta have moved on to different games.

So because people you played with have moved on this is evidence of a "population decline"?

Friendly indicators are okay, however I feel like an ally only radar provides a much better overview. You get a top-down view that gives you both the exact direction and distance to your allies without you having to look around. Indicators give you a general direction and require you to stop and look around to find the exact direction.
Friendly radar doesn't tell you when teammates are under attack.

Friendly indicators tell you more valuable information.

I'd be interested to see the population decline over the course of the 3-week beta. It definitely seems like many of the people that I played with during the first week of the beta have moved on to different games.

Don't forget the bulk of the first two weeks were taking place during almost everyone's christmas vacations. People have shit to do now.

-Ryn

Banned
So because people you played with have moved on this is evidence of a "population decline"?
To be fair it's one if the few indicators we have.

Though I wouldn't use this as evidence that the population as a whole is in decline, I understand using it for speculation.

Friendly Indicators using Red and Orange are amazing. If I had to pick one, I'd pick those indicators. It'd be nice to have both though.

jem0208

Wouldn't be hard to change that. Make the colour of your allies change depending on what's happening.

e.g:

Blue = Neutral
Green = Firing
Yellow = Under fire

Haruko

What's with so many AFK idlers this week? Are people deranking or something to play in lower brackets? Maybe farming SR rank for unlocks?

I hope the final game detects and ejects them from the hopper

What's with so many AFK idlers this week? Are people deranking or something to play in lower brackets? Maybe farming SR rank for unlocks?

I hope the final game detects and ejects them from the hopper

Probably deranking because they got placed too high.

Second reason is because MM times are 3-7 minutes on average, so they may just not be there.

Wouldn't be hard to change that. Make the colour of your allies change depending on what's happening.

e.g:

Blue = Neutral
Green = Firing
Yellow = Under fire
This is a great idea as it doesn't clutter the screen actually. Hmmmm, I like it.

Then when you look at them, the same colors would be displayed around their service tag indicating which dot on the radar they were without having to look away from the action.

jem0208

This is a great idea as it doesn't clutter the screen actually. Hmmmm, I like it.

Then when you look at them, the same colors would be displayed around their service tag indicating which dot on the radar they were without having to look away from the action.

That's another benefit actually, having lots of rotating arrows around the edge of your screen is a bit distracting.

We definitely need colours for the service tags though, very annoying not having them at the moment.

1v1 me bruh.

But you're right. But I'd want to see if I could maintain that rank. I played two matches of Strongholds. Got paired with the shittiest randoms ever, no one helping me capture, just hiding or trying to get kills. Lost both matches I played, thought damn, if I keep losing more, will probably get Bronze or something.

I'll try and see what happens and report back what I get. Knowing my luck and skill, probably Iron.

Providing an account on your One has a Gold subscription, you can make as many alt accounts as you like. Start afresh with a second account, play the ten games and see if you have a different result. I agree that it's preferable to have everyone start at the lowest rank ala Halo 2/3. Removes the ambiguity.

Edit: just watched Naded play an insane match on Truth. Went plus 33, got an untouchable, an overkill and an unbelievable triple while one shot. Also used the sword better than anyone else I've seen.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
jesus, it was painful catching up on todays posts.

and orion is pretty bad. poor visiility is the least of its issues. Where are the DMR spawns btw? i finally found one at the opposing teams spawn tower thingy.

Ramirez

Providing an account on your One has a Gold subscription, you can make as many alt accounts as you like. Start afresh with a second account, play the ten games and see if you have a different result. I agree that it's preferable to have everyone start at the lowest rank ala Halo 2/3. Removes the ambiguity.

Edit: just watched Naded play an insane match on Truth. Went plus 33, got an untouchable, an overkill and an unbelievable triple while one shot. Also used the sword better than anyone else I've seen.

3 unshielded opponents lined up perfectly, or what??

Madness

Damn, didn't even think about that. I wonder if others have tried alt accounts and end up higher or lower than first time.

CliQ

Sup homies! I'm getting on beta to play some games. Anyone care to join me? I'm a big fan of Breakout but will play anything. GT - xCliQuEx

VeeP

Holy shit. I just played Team Hardcore in Halo 2/MCC. Nostalgia trip. If anyone from 343 is reading it was perfect.

Back in the day I only managed to reach Rank 22/24. Shame this doesn't have ranks. I imagine this playlist will die fairly quickly though. It's all the way at the bottom and in the recent games Halo games "Hardcore" or MLG type modes are never popular.

Madness

If they fix MCC soon, I'd love if we could organize another tournament. And I mean have it actually fixed. It would go a long way to salvaging the game for this community. Maybe start off with a small doubles tournament, NA and EU separately so it's easier to work, and then maybe have the winners of each play each other etc.

Can't wait till they get MLG and tournament settings into Team Hardcore. The Halo 4 play list also has most of the better maps.

Madness

Someone told me SR carries over, but I'm skeptical that it's true.

Yeah, I could've sworn I read that your unlocks carry over to the retail release but I wasn't sure if these things are only in the beta now, but won't be available in the retail release. Meaning you had to have played a shitload of the beta to get the Athlon helmet etc.

Ramirez

Just had a game on Truth end at 41-36, the radar is so fucking stupid with competent players.

If a game of 4v4 in your arena mode fails to reach the score limit, there is a serious design flaw.

I know those pros working at 343 know this, so please listen to them. There's no radar in Breakout, nor should there be one in your ultra competitive arena mode.

-Ryn

Banned
I would be shocked if anything carried over, they have a few months of development left I would hope.
The final stretch or "crunch time" (if I recall the terminology correctly) is about 3-4 months usually with the last month being distribution and whatnot right? So I'd imagine it'll all be development until then.

Yeah, playing randies this feels like a completely different game, and not always in the best way. Smart people can just be way to successful staying on the defensive.

The final stretch or "crunch time" (if I recall the terminology correctly) is about 3-4 months usually with the last month being distribution and whatnot right? So I'd imagine it'll all be development until then.

Um, yes, that was the subtext. "I would hope" meant that "I hope they are not done, because the alternative is absurd."

Sup homies! I'm getting on beta to play some games. Anyone care to join me? I'm a big fan of Breakout but will play anything. GT - xCliQuEx

If you're still on I'm down good sir.

Edit: and c'mon funknown that second video you're teammate is clearly terrible. He held that spot and still didn't notice that guy coming down long stairs. If you're gonna camp do it right.

-Ryn

Banned
GGs Zoojoo, CliQ, and Deception. Game is a ton of fun when coordinated with good players. Still think we should've won that game on Truth.

Just a couple clips from tonight:
This one is to prove a point about how ridiculous the sun is. Spartans are supposed to have automaticly polarized visors. This is just dumb.
tumblr_lgdg20XWE61qgfevpo1_400.gif

Impala26

jesus, it was painful catching up on todays posts.

and orion is pretty bad. poor visiility is the least of its issues. Where are the DMR spawns btw? i finally found one at the opposing teams spawn tower thingy.

Basically:

"Hey, hey guys! Skilled people hate Halo 5 because sprint ruins everything."

Yep, 2-3 pages of just that.

Flares and late night Halo...

You're not alone

Have you still yet to get an XB1 yet Ryn?

antigoon

I tried and failed to create a simple party with my friend in MCC so we could play the Halo 2 campaign.

This is really pathetic.

Top Bottom