• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

I mean I know it's cool to shit on them left and right for population, design choices, MCC, etc, but they did release one of the successful Halo games and continue to manage a large and growing market for non-game products.

They released one of the most hated Halos that's population reached a milestone of lows in population.

They released one of the most hated Halos that's population reached a milestone of lows in population.
87 metacritic, still thought to be a good campaign (lots of people on GAF like it anyway, positive posts come up quite often on Gaming side), many millions of copies sold.

I think you're being unfair.

And I don't even like Halo 4.

woodland

87 metacritic, still thought to be a good campaign (lots of people on GAF like it anyway, positive posts come up quite often on Gaming side), many millions of copies sold.

I think you're being unfair.

And I don't even like Halo 4.

You could put shit in a box with Halo's name on it and it would sell millions. It's not like it sold on merit of it being a good game, it sold on the merit of the past games released*.

*Which they simultaneously destroyed the gameplay of, then gave back to us after shoehorning it into a corner with sprint still forced upon us.

-Ryn

Banned
Then what are you saying? People shouldn't bash 343i for one of the worst launched games in recent memory?

edit - let me clarify, I mean give the game shit, not personal death threats.
Well to start I was throwing out a reminder that they in fact didn't know.

Despite others claims to the contrary, that is a legitimate reason. Since they didn't know, that means all of these issues blind sided them just as much as it did us. So now they have the problem of trying to fix a shit ton of issues without it effecting the development of Halo 5 (and they don't have control over the release of H5 so it's not like they can just allocate resources and delay the game). I doubt they're just sitting around with their thumbs up their asses.

We can be upset and be civil.
I'm not trying to kiss 343's ass or some bullshit either. I'm just sick of seeing insults spiral out of control (and for the past month it's been pretty good) so I'm trying to stop it before it starts.

Unbelievable, keep defending this company that never fails to let us down. We cannot state our justified disappointments.
You aren't saying "I'm disappointed".
You're acting like they intentionally did this or it should be some simple fix. Yeah it's ridiculous that these problems even happened. However they did and the people at 343 are working their ass off to fix it.

As much as I appreciate Stinkles posting here, I think it still obscures the real questions of how much did 343i know about the issues, and when did they know it?
Well if Frank's comment is to be believe, they didn't know about any of it. How much clearer can he say it?

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to problems arising when the game went online, but did you see that list of problems and fixes not related to networking?

At this point it doesn't exactly matter whether or not people knew. What matters is that the game was delivered in a extremely poor state and many issues still persist, which is unacceptable.
I agree. It is ridiculous.
This shouldn't have happened and it sucks that it's still persisting.

However I don't think insulting them is necessary or even deserved when it's obvious they are trying. Critical analysis and constrictive feedback is welcome. Expressing disappointment is expected and fine. But do we need to stoop to the level of insulting them? Especially when people like Frank, Josh, and Tashi do their best to come in and answer questions when they really don't have to?

lol. What have they done successfully?
Well for one they released a beta. So that was nice.

Depending on how you define "success" they have already started on the path to it with H5 given that the majority of people here seemed to either like or not mind what they've done with it.

So other than their colossal failures 343 are doing pretty well. Yeah I agree.
Ignoring that they've been trying to win back the crowd for the past year with genuinely good decisions but whatever. Despit

Well to start I was throwing out a reminder that they in fact didn't know.

Despite others claims to the contrary, that is a legitimate reason. Since they didn't know, that means all of these issues blind sided them just as much as it did us. So now they have the problem of trying to fix a shit ton of issues without it effecting the development of Halo 5 (and they don't have control over the release of H5 so it's not like they can just allocate resources and delay the game). I doubt they're just sitting around with their thumbs up their asses.

We can be upset and be civil.
I'm not trying to kiss 343's ass or some bullshit either. I'm just sick of seeing insults spiral out of control (and for the past month it's been pretty good) so I'm trying to stop it before it starts.

You aren't saying "I'm disappointed".
You're acting like they intentionally did this or it should be some simple fix. Yeah it's ridiculous that these problems even happened. However they did and the people at 343 are working their ass off to fix it.

Well if Frank's comment is to be believe, they didn't know about any of it. How much clearer can he say it?

I agree. It is ridiculous.
This shouldn't have happened and it sucks that it's still persisting.

However I don't think insulting them is necessary or even deserved when it's obvious they are trying. Critical analysis and constrictive feedback is welcome. Expressing disappointment is expected and fine. But do we need to stoop to the level of insulting them? Especially when people like Frank, Josh, and Tashi do their best to come in and answer questions when they really don't have to?

Well for one they released a beta. So that was nice.

Depending on how you define "success" they have already started on the path to it with H5 given that the majority of people here seemed to either like or not mind what they've done with it.

Ignoring that they've been trying to win back the crowd for the past year with genuinely good decisions but whatever. Despit

You are delusioned by 343.

If you HONESTLY believe 343 had no clue about the hundreds of bugs, then I can no longer try and have a reasonable conversation about the topic.

Cow

If they didn't know then they are incompetent, straight up.
This sums it up. If they knew then they have just intentionally screwed over their entire fan base for a quick cash grab. If they legitimately didn't know then they aren't fit to run Xbox's flagship franchise.

Impala26

This is when someone posts the neogaf.gif image, right?

right-o.gif

Ramirez

MCC should have never been trusted to a bunch of B-C tier devs. Hate to be rude, but I doubt it has the problems it has if it were made in house. Only problem with that is, it doesn't exist if it's done in house because of 5, so we're fucked either way.

-Ryn

Banned
If they didn't know then they are incompetent, straight up.
If a problem doesn't show up in testing then how is that incompetence?

I'm interested in seeing what caused this in the postmortem. The explanation is needed.

You are delusioned by 343.

If you HONESTLY believe 343 had no clue about the hundreds of bugs, then I can no longer try and have a reasonable conversation about the topic.
Delusioned? How about I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt because they've proven they actually do care multiple times.

Frank (who if I'm not mistaken, is a pretty straight up guy, yeah?) outright said they didn't know about this. I don't doubt they knew about some minor bugs. However I don't see him outright lying to us about this. What point would there be?

Booshka

If a problem doesn't show up in testing then how is that incompetence?

I'm interested in seeing what caused this in the postmortem. The explanation is needed.

Delusioned? How about I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt because they've proven they actually do care multiple times.

Frank (who if I'm not mistaken, is a pretty straight up guy, yeah?) outright said they didn't know about this. I don't doubt they knew about some minor bugs. However I don't see him outright lying to us about this. What point would there be?

Their testing wasn't thorough enough, Microsoft and 343 should have taken more care to make sure this Halo product, releasing on the Xbone, for 60 dollars, was rock-solid and ready for mass consumption.

They failed, miserably.

Look, I just want to be able to search for a game and find one at the same speed I did in 2007. I want to be able to join and leave parties like I could in 2007. I want to be able to jump from campaign to mp just like I could in 2007. I want to navigate the menus without crashes, forge new maps, share files online, have games with minimal lag, and earn achievements like I did in 2007.

I want a game that works just liked Halo 1,2,3, ODST, and Reach did before it. I want that game now. I'm not angry, or unreasonable, or spiteful towards some game developer. I'm just a twenty something year old guy who just wants to play a little Halo. I paid $60 for a game and I expected it to be working on day 1. Instead all I have two months later is a bunch of broken promises from some people who claim to be working around the clock. Every day the game doesn't work, the population shrinks.

I don't want patches that add achievements or change the music volume. I want one patch that fixes the game. I want that patch now.

I don't think 343 are bad or lazy people; they just seem like a less than competent developer. Heck, the party system in the Halo 5 beta that their "A team" is working on didn't always work either.

-Ryn

Banned
I offered him pizza once - he declined. Never trust a man who turns down free pizza. Also, always add ten. These are my business philosophies.
Donatello-and-Michaelangelo.jpg

Their testing wasn't thorough enough, Microsoft and 343 should have taken more care to make sure this Halo product, releasing on the Xbone, for 60 dollars, was rock-solid and ready for mass consumption.

They failed, miserably.
Can't really say I disagree.

I have to wonder how much of the game being a mess was actually 343's fault given how much the game was outsourced though.

Look, I just want to be able to search for a game and find one at the same speed I did in 2007. I want to be able to join and leave parties like I could in 2007. I want to be able to jump from campaign to mp just like I could in 2007. I want to navigate the menus without crashes, forge new maps, share files online, have games with minimal lag, and earn achievements like I did in 2007.

I want a game that works just liked Halo 1,2,3, ODST, and Reach did before it. I want that game now. I'm not angry, or unreasonable, or spiteful towards some game developer. I'm just a twenty something year old guy who just wants to play a little Halo. I paid $60 for a game and I expected it to be working on day 1. Instead all I have two months later is a bunch of broken promises from some people who claim to be working around the clock. Every day the game doesn't work, the population shrinks.

I don't want patches that add achievements or change the music volume. I want one patch that fixes the game. I want that patch now.

I don't think 343 are bad or lazy people; they just seem like a less than competent developer. Heck, the party system in the Halo 5 beta that their "A team" is working on didn't always work either.
I can respect that dude (not really sure how else to word that).

Hopefully it is fixed soon. The damage has been done but maybe something can be recovered if they can fix the game and pull off some magic.

lol

Magwik

Banned
MCC should have never been trusted to a bunch of B-C tier devs. Hate to be rude, but I doubt it has the problems it has if it were made in house. Only problem with that is, it doesn't exist if it's done in house because of 5, so we're fucked either way.

Even with A team devs working on the game, it would still have released a broken mess due to it being rushed out the door. some problems may have been fixed, but the bulk of it suddenly won't go away

I think they already did that with the MCC. They wrote a whole new backend to matchmake multiple games together. Because the MCC is straight up missing features the H3 and H4(reach) backend supported.

Like, you can't support different team configurations in a single playlist so it was impossible to have a playlist that could even possibly give you 3 teams if it was intended for 2 like the above pic in H3.

Thus is the downside of starting anew with any game engine or game engine component or software in general, you lose all the years of small upgrades and enhancements and often don't have the time or institutional continuum of knowledge to re-implement them. Which is why I roll my eyes at people that post "they should switch to _____" over on gaming side.

Yeah I figured. A lot of things point to them trying and failing to rewrite. I was just joking, saying they should scrap what the worked on and restart because at this point their code must be incredibly convoluted.

Cow

lol these guys are hysterical.

Such industry knowledge
Much understanding

wow

Haha they are hysterical. Criticising a company for releasing an unfinished product without industry knowledge and understanding is ridiculous.

Ramirez

Even with A team devs working on the game, it would still have released a broken mess due to it being rushed out the door. some problems may have been fixed, but the bulk of it suddenly won't go away

I think a lot of the UI stuff wouldn't have shipped as broken, but really, who knows?

On a side note, AR starts in 5 are awful.

-Ryn

Banned
So if the release date is the problem, why is it the developer(s) being blamed most and not the parent company/publisher?

Genuinely asking. I'm not trying to be a smartass.

lol these guys are hysterical.

Such industry knowledge
Much understanding

wow
5af.jpg

This is what happens when you don't #hirejuices. Juices of Silver Tier is our savior.
image.php

Mix

Haha they are hysterical. Criticising a company for releasing an unfinished product without industry knowledge and understanding is ridiculous.

k, they're criticizing a company for making a mistake when everything else they've done has been just fine, if not great. Then, the point that 343 has done other things that have been successful was brought up and they returned to the mistake. Every company does something wrong at some point in their existence. Remember Bungie? How about the Myth 2 installer bug? Yup, the original creators of Halo fucked up huge too, and they're still around, doing great.

So 343 messed up? Guess what, it happens.

k, they're criticizing a company for making a mistake when everything else they've done has been just fine, if not great. Then, the point that 343 has done other things that have been successful was brought up and they returned to the mistake. Every company does something wrong at some point in their existence. Remember Bungie? How about the Myth 2 installer bug? Yup, the original creators of Halo fucked up huge too, and they're still around, doing great.

I'm assuming the installer bug got fixed.

And this is 2014-2015. This should have been a walk in the park.

Mix

I'm assuming the installer bug got fixed.

And this is 2014-2015. This should have been a walk in the park.

The installer bug was fixed, after costing an independent Bungie $800,000. That's huge. And you're right, the MCC shouldn't have been messed up like it was or is, and there should be ways, I suppose, to fix it, but it's game development, there's not a switch that says "Make it work" and 343 decided to leave it off and say fuck it, they tried to create a game that delivered a good experience. And what about this should've been so easy? Could you have done this?

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

They would have known the release date 2 or more years in advance. If they couldn't get their shit together in that time, it is no ones fault but their own.

As for people defending 343's claim of "we didn't know!"... lol...

Matchmaking/party issues? Yea, okay. Makes sense.

What about the thousands (rough guess) of other issues that have nothing to do with it? Do you really think they never had game crashes? Never had issues with campaign data wiping? Never had sound issues in Halo 3? etc etc etc et fucking cetera. Seriously, anyone who actually truly believes this is about as much of a sheep as could possibly exist.

edit* Why I hear some ask? $$$$$$$$$$$$

The installer bug was fixed, after costing an independent Bungie $800,000. That's huge. And you're right, the MCC shouldn't have been messed up like it was or is, and there should be ways, I suppose, to fix it, but it's game development, there's not a switch that says "Make it work" and 343 decided to leave it off and say fuck it, they tried to create a game that delivered a good experience. And what about this should've been so easy? Could you have done this?
No, I'm not a professional.

Sorry I expect more out of a develepor that makes millions off of fans.

Mix

No, I'm not a professional.

Sorry I expect more out of a develepor that makes millions off of fans.

Okay, then if you don't understand the process, then you shouldn't comment on the simplicity of the process. I'm trying to be civil about it, but if you're going to argue your point you shouldn't throw a temper tantrum and throw meaningless assumptions out like that.

Yeah, it's a shame too. Bungie really missed their mark with that one. I love a lot of their games, beside Halo too. Marathon was fun, Myth was awesome, and what I've played of Pathways was really cool. It's odd how different it is now.

Okay, then if you don't understand the process, then you shouldn't comment on the simplicity of the process. I'm trying to be civil about it, but if you're going to argue your point you should throw a temper tantrum and throw meaningless assumptions out like that.

They are not assumptions. Saying 343 knew this game had issues is not a wild accusation.

Mix

God, this thread is gold. Never a dull moment.

Going back to MCC feels... odd. Sure I'll get used to it, but it'll be a struggle.

Tried playing Halo 4 the other day and I hadn't realized how low the reticle is. I played Halo CE for like 5 matches before going back to H5 no problem, but then Halo 4 was just weird.

Myth bug was caught before launch. Bungie removed every cd from the packaging and repackaged each game with a new disc simply because "it was the right thing to do". I think I'm paraphrasing an interview here.

MCC was broken before launch. 343 said they didn't know MM would work. We still don't know how true this is. It doesn't excuse all of the UI, SP, Forge Bugs, and lack of a file browser. Besides even if they did not know about MM being broken at launch it should be fixed by now.

As far as 343's track record:
-CEA - Released w/o issue

-Halo 4 - Released without a working file browser, 14 Day Buy and Play, DLC achievement glitch which they were "investigating" for one year

-MCC - Um, I have played buggy games before but I have never played a game that has remained this broken for this long

Destiny has had some hiccups and is disappointing in terms of scale/scope. Any fault of Destiny is nothing compared to MCC at launch.

-Ryn

Banned
Are you seriously comparing Destiny to MCC? Get the fuck outta here dude.
Welllll...

We actually know that Bungie lied their asses starside. Bungie has yet to explain what the hell happened or even indicate that they might at all.

343 messed up sure, but they've been upfront about it and have sworn to explain what went wrong.

Destiny is a fun game sure, but it is bullshit compared to what it could've (and should've) been with a severe lack in content to boot. Add on the shitty business practices and I'd say that yeah, while it actually works it's still worse overall.

Once the MCC works (and it will unless Frank is talking out of his ass) it'll be fantastic. Even if the multiplayer doesn't recover.

Top Bottom