• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

FyreWulff

It might be less work to scrap the UI and network code and rewrite it all.

I think they already did that with the MCC. They wrote a whole new backend to matchmake multiple games together. Because the MCC is straight up missing features the H3 and H4(reach) backend supported.

Like, you can't support different team configurations in a single playlist so it was impossible to have a playlist that could even possibly give you 3 teams if it was intended for 2 like the above pic in H3.

Thus is the downside of starting anew with any game engine or game engine component or software in general, you lose all the years of small upgrades and enhancements and often don't have the time or institutional continuum of knowledge to re-implement them. Which is why I roll my eyes at people that post "they should switch to _____" over on gaming side.

Meanwhile, in Team Slayer:
gbJtEXf.jpg

This game is almost literally incapable of creating even teams, to the point that it will force 1v2v3 matches. Holy shit.

thats nothing bruh (to be fair this was launch week for me)

Pretty paltry considering it's been weeks since the last patch. MCC is shocking. If the game's so fucked that you're still scrambling to glue together a functioning MM system ten plus weeks after you put it on store shelves, you really ought to do a product recall and re release it at a later date. Leaving the game incontinent and incapable of washing itself, day after day in public for all to see is embarrassing for MS, unfair on the fans of the series and a shameful insult to Bungie's legacy.

Madness

I don't even get why they went back to AR starts in the beta. The point is to see how games play before launch with these weapons. We already had AR starts in the early access, and first week of beta. Why not try something different like DMR starts, light rifle starts, see what matches are like? See what kind of heatmaps are produced, what the kills and deaths are like.

I'm almost certain default arena team slayer for launch will be AR starts, with BR starts as an occasional voting option or what they'll have for their eSports or hard-core playlist probably. AR starts just aren't that fun.

Computer

Was really hoping this game would function like a normal game after the H5 beta. Seriously I had a team that wanted to play in the online HCS cups but the game is so broken we could not even practice so we said fuck it. A 1 month of gold and ODST I don't give a fuck. I wanted the MCC. I cant believe my most hyped game ever turned out like it is.

VinFTW

There's Halo: Spartan Assault.

cyren pls

Whats even FUCKING worse, I had planned on getting drunk and donging on the H5 beta tonight all week... AR starts ruined that. 343i, I actually like H5 a lot, and I don't even want to play.

Starting GTAV for the first time ever tonight at least now...

Booshka

If MCC was released on PC with enough access to the source code, it would be fixed by now.

C'mon Microsoft, let the public fix your broke ass game. Halo isn't a system seller anymore, you fucked that up too much. Kinect is dead, no one cares about TV functionality, your Console OS is garbage, whaddya got, just put new Halo on PC already, your in-house Dev cant make it anyway.

Ehhhhhhh...

Honestly, I like the concept, but after watching it it just seems like it has way too many bells and whistles for my tastes.

It's not too bad. Kinda sparse honestly. Biggest issue is that there's super long periods of inaction, just following the birds flying away trying to catch the monster. But once the actual fighting begins, it's pretty intense.

MCC was working okay last night. Every few games you have to quit the build and it doesn't auto-smash your party after every game. Seemed to be working about as well as the beta, anyway.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I feel you guys. It still blows my mind how fucking easy a slam dunk MCC should've been. I mean good lord, it's a remake and 3 ports.

I'm just saying that at a certain point, it's just better to play something else. Too many non-broken games to ignore just to wait on MCC becoming playable anytime soon.

These issues didn't show up in the testing environment.

Must've done plenty of testing.

Game development is a harsh reality, and some bugs just won't pop up until the game is out, but the MCC launched in a catastrophic state. I simply can't believe they didn't know about it until after the game was out. It's a shame, because there's some fantastic people working at 343, but they really dropped the ball on this one. I'd love to find out what went wrong.

I'm hanging on to my copy because at least the campaigns are working OK most of the time, but I wholly sympathize with the people who've gone for refunds.

Booshka

343 ran multiple tournaments with pre-release "Quit The Build" issues. Testing environment my ass, your shit was borked from the start, Microsoft pushed it out because it was a $60 Halo Product releasing in November.

JoeDanny

Custom games are still completely unplayable. With large parties the game freezes every single time and everybody gets sent back to the main menu.

The worst part is that 343 hasn't spoken a single word about custom games in the MCC. Halo 3 and 2A forge is still fucked, customs won't start, 50 file limit, and more.

What a joke of a company.

-Ryn

Banned
My vote if for 343 industries for worst company of the year.
Don't worry they didn't know about this until the game went live let's not blame 343.
These issues didn't show up in the testing environment.
343 ran multiple tournaments with pre-release "Quit The Build" issues. Testing environment my ass, your shit was borked from the start, Microsoft pushed it out because it was a $60 Halo Product releasing in November.
Custom games are still completely unplayable. With large parties the game freezes every single time and everybody gets sent back to the main menu.

The worst part is that 343 hasn't spoken a single word about custom games in the MCC. Halo 3 and 2A forge is still fucked, customs won't start, 50 file limit, and more.

What a joke of a company.
Relevant

|
|/

Firstly, no it would never be ok to launch a personal vendetta against people.

Which is not the same as being annoyed or upset. You have the right to be upset and angry at me, us, 343 etc. Being angry, or upset is not launching a personal vendetta. Which of course has NOTHING to do with the conversation Ramirez and TTU were having (a conversation they themselves actually ameliorated and regained civility over)

Secondly, the unacceptable state of MCC was not done to deliberately dupe anyone. If you genuinely think I knew the game was going to behave that way at launch, let me state clearly, I did not. The issues we encountered after launch into the real retail environment were not what we encountered during test.

The "wall of vagueness" is a combination of actually working busily to fix it and not wanting to make promises as we continue to try to fix it once and for all. Once that's done (and I have some optimism that will be soon), we'll have more detail and clear answers and can be less vague.

I don't have any right to be, or stable platform from which to be indignant - I will be enduring scorn and mistrust for years to come, over matters over which I have zero control - and I will take my medicine and suck it up - but taking an unrelated call for civility in a completely unrelated conversation and turning it into the antitheses of a call for civility, and derailing this thread, isn't helpful. And it makes it impossible to have conversations. Conversations you yourself are asking for.

CyReN

Didn't say anything about being upset but okay.

Then what are you saying? People shouldn't bash 343i for one of the worst launched games in recent memory?

edit - let me clarify, I mean give the game shit, not personal death threats.

jem0208

Unbelievable, keep defending this company that never fails to let us down. We cannot state our justified disappointments.
Other than the broken MCC, 343 are doing pretty well imo... Whether or not the MCC is entirely attributable to 343 I don't know.

Top Bottom