• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Just drop H5 mp and have the entire team work on SP and fixing MCC. Make H5 a DLC add on for MCC and make new maps for H2A. Ta-da, MCC is fixed and MP is good.

I like everything except dropping the mp from 5. Sorry but I would like to play h5 mp.

Breakout mode is fun and one or two of the maps are fun.

Sprint clambering, groundpound, scope hovering, and that weird sprint melee are all pretty pointless additions. I could see an argument for thruster.

It seems as though, all of the additions have just been a cover for poor map design. I'd rather play Midship than play a stretched out version of it just so that they can add sprint for the COD crowd.

Ramirez

Breakout mode is fun and one or two of the maps are fun.

Sprint clambering, groundpound, scope hovering, and that weird sprint melee are all pretty pointless additions. I could see an argument for thruster.

It seems as though, all of the additions have just been a cover for poor map design. I'd rather play Midship than play a stretched out version of it just so that they can add sprint for the COD crowd.

Hover is one of the best additions to the game. "CoD crowd" ZzZzzZZ.

Akai__

Not neccessarily the CoD crowd, but the modern shooter crowd. 343i themselves said, that they want to make their games more accessible to a larger crowd, by using familiar mechanics.

CyReN

Not neccessarily the CoD crowd, but the modern shooter crowd. 343i themselves said, that they want to make their games more accessible to a larger crowd, by using familiar mechanics.

It's like that awkward moment when your older coworker talks about Tinder and "the facebook". You know they have no idea how it functions but saying it and doing it makes them hip in their eyes.

Perhaps "COD crowd" is lazy rhetoric. I apologize. To me it appears as though 343i has chased a trend in shooters instead of paving their own way with the game that was given to them. "COD Crowd" is probably not the best way to communicate that sentiment.

If you want thruster or hover, cool, add it in. Just do not add things at the expense of the core mechanics of the game. I should still be able to crouch jump and fall while scoped. If you want to add hover then make it so holding the thruster button while airborne makes you hover. A lot of people think that Halo players like myself are opposed to change; not true. I just believe that any additions to the game should not take away from the core movement and shooting mechanics.

Bungie did this successfully with Halo 2 and 3 before they failed with Reach.

Dual wielding, vehicle boarding, and equipment all "added" to the game without changing anything that worked in previous titles.

Reach and Halo 4's additions all added at the expense of core game. They changed the flow of the game.

I think H5 mp could great with thruster (and hover by extension) it just needs to be implemented in a way that does not detract from or change the flow of the core movement and gunplay from previous titles (dedicated controller button for control of thruster pack for all situations, similar to H3 equipment)

Ramirez

Welcome to AAA game design.

That aside, I think it's pretty ludicrous to claim the core of Halo still isn't there under the new additions.

Welcome to AAA game design.

That aside, I think it's pretty ludicrous to claim the core of Halo still isn't there under the new additions.

Core is still there but the key word is right there: under

The core is still there under Reach and under 4 as well. Under implies vertical expansion, a layer on top of what already exists. Good additions to a game series should be horizontal; they should go beside what already exists rather than covering it up.

With Halo 2 and 3 the core stood next to dual wielding, vehicle boarding, and equipment. They did not layer on top of the core.

Ramirez

Core is still there but the key word is right there: under

The core is still there under Reach and under 4 as well. Under implies vertical expansion, a layer on top of what already exists. Good additions to a game series should be horizontal; they should go beside what already exists rather than covering it up.

Poor wording by me, none of the new stuff takes over matches like Jet Packs & Armor Lock did. The game is very much first and foremost about shooting, map control, power weapons, etc.

Ground Pounds and the like are just neat additions that sometimes have benefits, but most of the time just get you in trouble.

Poor wording by me, none of the new stuff takes over matches like Jet Packs & Armor Lock did. The game is very much first and foremost about shooting, map control, power weapons, etc.

Ground Pounds and the like are just neat additions that sometimes have benefits, but most of the time just get you in trouble.

It is certainly more prominent than it was in Halo 4.

But ground pounds cover up crouch jumping. Sprint covers up traditional map movement. Etc That is what I am talking about.

I'm not saying I think Halo 5 is bad. I think it is good and miles better than Reach/4. I just think that some of the additions are keep it from being as good as the first three games.

Deception

Reagans BR, did you know you can turn off auto-hover in the settings? Just go to settings and turn off auto-stabilizers. Then to hover you press down the left stick (using the default control scheme)

But ground pounds cover up crouch jumping. Sprint covers up traditional map movement. Etc That is what I am talking about.

I'm not saying I think Halo 5 is bad. I think it is good and miles better than Reach/4. I just think that some of the additions are keep it from being as good as the first three games.

You can actually still crouch jump. You just have to tap it very quickly.

Ramirez

They've already said they're fixing crouch jumps. Sprint isn't going anywhere, that horse is dead, let it rest.

Reagans BR, did you know you can turn off auto-hover in the settings? Just go to settings and turn off auto-stabilizers. Then to hover you press down the left stick (using the default control scheme)

Yes I've tried it but I haven't found a controller layout that I like with those settings (That is another story though has evidenced by the many layouts people have posted). It should be like that by default though.

Deception

Yes I've tried it but I haven't found a controller layout that I like with those settings (That is another story though has evidenced by the many layouts people have posted). It should be like that by default though.
There is a toggle in the settings tho so who cares if it's on my default? You can just turn it off if you don't like it.

You can actually still crouch jump. You just have to tap it very quickly.

Still some problems with it (bunnyhopping, delayed crouch jumps, prolonged crouch jumps, landing while crouched etc). I think Unknown outlined them a few pages back.

They've already said they're fixing crouch jumps. Sprint isn't going anywhere, that horse is dead, let it rest.

That is by far and a way the worst addition though. Its hard for me to just resign myself to that reality. I don't like settling for good when I could have better and I don't think others do either. Plus, if fans of traditional Halo are ignored on this issue then what else will we be ignored on in the future?

Ramirez

Still some problems with it (bunnyhopping, delayed crouch jumps, prolonged crouch jumps, landing while crouched etc). I think Unknown outlined them a few pages back.

That is by far and a way the worst addition though. Its hard for me to just resign myself to that reality. I don't like settling for good when I could have better and I don't think others do either. Plus, if fans of traditional Halo are ignored on this issue then what else will we be ignored on in the future?

I'm a traditional Halo fan, and I'm fine with the way sprint is implemented in 5. You can't speak for everyone. It's an impossible situation for them really, I'm happy with the nerfs they've put on it.

There is a toggle in the settings tho so who cares if it's on my default? You can just turn it off if you don't like it.
Good point. Admittedly a minor complaint. It's somewhat a matter of principle. For me it goes back to what I was saying about layering on top or adding things beside. Being on by default means it is layered on top of the core by default. It then seems that the mentality at 343 is that layers are ok. Something I'm sure most people will think I'm silly for complaining about. Outward vs. upward augmentation.

I'm a traditional Halo fan, and I'm fine with the way sprint is implemented in 5. You can't speak for everyone. It's an impossible situation for them really, I'm happy with the nerfs they've put on it.
Fair, my opinion is not everyone's. We will see if the game follows Halo 4's population path or not. To me the fact that sprint has to be changed tor preserve the flow of the game is indicative of a greater underlying problem with it. Dual wielding, boarding, and deploying equipment didn't have to be nerfed in order to preserve the flow of the game.

Ramirez

Good point. Admittedly a minor complaint. It's somewhat a matter of principle. For me it goes back to what I was saying about layering on top or adding things beside. Being on by default means it is layered on top of the core by default. It then seems that the mentality at 343 is that layers are ok. Something I'm sure most people will think I'm silly for complaining about. Outward vs. upward augmentation.

Fair, my opinion is not everyone's. We will see if the game follows Halo 4's population path or not. To me the fact that sprint has to be changed tor preserve the flow of the game is indicative of a greater underlying problem with it. Dual wielding, boarding, and deploying equipment didn't have to be nerfed in order to preserve the flow of the game.

Dual wield was awful in 2 & 3 though. Equipment was dropped after one game as well, with most of it removed from MM very early in Halo 3's life. Bungie made just as many questionable decisions in every single game.

Nice, didn't know this. Did they mention what exactly they'll be doing? Hopefully it's moving GP to another button instead of tweaking some settings.

Don't think so, it was just a tweet very early in the beta from Holmes, I believe.

Booshka

Dual wield was awful in 2 & 3 though. Equipment was dropped after one game as well, with most of it removed from MM very early in Halo 3's life. Bungie made just as many questionable decisions in every single game.

Don't think so, it was just a tweet very early in the beta from Holmes, I believe.

Except for Halo CE, where the "questionable MP decisions" were mystical and unexplainable. Good thing that Hardy LeBel was able to make important decisions on his own, instead of having an entire team and focus tested publisher bullshit to deal with.

-Ryn

Banned
Except for Halo CE, where the "questionable MP decisions" were mystical and unexplainable. Good thing that Hardy LeBel was able to make important decisions on his own, instead of having an entire team and focus tested publisher bullshit to deal with.
I despise focus testing.

Most every example I've seen of it hasn't done much good and sometimes made things worse. Maybe I'm just ignorant of all the good examples.

King Leo

Neo Member
What sucks is I know this beta was just a "small portion" of the experience. Once the final game comes around, I'm expecting them to bring back loadouts, perks, killstreak rewards, and all the other crap that plagued Halo 4. I fear Halo 5 won't be competitive out of the box, and we'll have to strip it down drastically just to have something to work with.

It's really important for this game to be competitive out of the box - especially if 343 is taking this eSports thing seriously. Halo 5 matchmaking and HCS gameplay need to be nearly identical and shouldn't play like two completely different games. This is what splits up the Halo community so much. The H5 beta with some tweaks is a great foundation to work with IMO.

343, for the love of God, you already have enough things to attract the average casual gamer (not to mention Campaign and Forge) . Do not throw in loadouts, perks, ordinance, or anything else on top. This is the first time I actually have faith that a modernized Halo can be a competitive Halo.

CyReN

adapt

05a6b5ad67cf3162e6ba78eec0665d74.png

Except for Halo CE, where the "questionable MP decisions" were mystical and unexplainable.
Agreed

Well hce and thc should satisfy my halo needs this weekend. Thc is fun.
See I hoped MCC would satisfy my halo needs this gen but I still can't play with my friends. They will sell the game before 343 can get their act together. Population will be gone before they fix this game.

Never understood hate for either mechanic. I loved grabbing a SMG and PR and have a lot of good grav lift on high ground and regen on the pit memories.

The one way doors on snow bound, halo 3 BR, AR starts and fog on backwash among others were bad. I'll grant you the questionable choices haha. Still, as far as "who thought this was ok to launch" nothing compares to halo 4 and reach.

Some are saying it says "Orion Arm", but I don't know what to do after figuring that out.

If it's anything like the Cortina one, you click on an item that relates to the answer. I guess there's a picture of the galaxy/stars and you click on one of the arms?

It's all for a wallpaper anyway, nothing too amazing.

Madness

Our upcoming content update is undergoing further testing, and will be available within the next few days

So it's pushed back even a few more days? Maybe it's having trouble passing certification? They lowered the volume level on the menus, but I hope it's not too low. It only got irritating because 95 percent of our time was stuck on the menus. Otherwise I love the MCC menu music, far more than H5.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
So it's pushed back even a few more days? Maybe it's having trouble passing certification? They lowered the volume level on the menus, but I hope it's not too low. It only got irritating because 95 percent of our time was stuck on the menus. Otherwise I love the MCC menu music, far more than H5.
Lowered the music volume level in multiplayer menus.

Why not give us an actual music volume slider....

TCKaos

Meanwhile, in Team Slayer:
gbJtEXf.jpg

This game is almost literally incapable of creating even teams, to the point that it will force 1v2v3 matches. Holy shit.

Top Bottom