• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

how much do you guys want to bet the MCC Platinum edition is going to come to Windows 10 with:

1080p60 H2A campaign
ODST expansion
Relic multiplayer map
just about everything fixed

and basically toted as the "real launch" of the game

giphy.gif

-Ryn

Banned
So if ADS gets toggled, are they going to design traditional scopes?

If we toggle ADS off, what will scopes look like for weapons that have zoom?
They'd have to for it to be a truly classic scope.

They'll likely function they same way but they'll look different.

Ultimate question, why do games today need sprint and ADS?
They don't

But in a game like Halo, an arena arcade deathmatch game, I don't see the point of sprint and ADS...even if it is cosmetic (which we have ruled out it is).
Wait... so are saying ADS is only cosmetic or that it's not? The wordibg confuses me.

"NO BULLSHIT WHERE YOUR CHARACTER CAN RUN"

"ADVANCED MAP TACTICS INCLUDING HEALTH PACKS AND NO RECHARGING HEALTH BAR"

"CLASSIC PLAYSTYLE PAYING HOMAGE TO A GAME I CAN'T GET OVER ALSO ALL GAMES MADE AFTER IT ARE SHIT"
lol

Well if anyone is still interested in Toxikk, after I'm done with my initial impression on the 22nd I'll probably be giving out 3 copies of the game.
I'd love to hear some impressions on it.

Akai__

So what were the "UI Updates"?

Not sure. Went through all menus and can't tell the difference.

Not sure why 343i is even bothering with patch notes. Other devs include every little detail, about what got fixed or what was supposed to be fixed.

If we knew what was actually supposed to be fixed, we could give more feedback about that specific thing.

Trey

But doubt you'd really buy MCC or an Xbox One now right? At least on PC, you're still buying and playing Halo and having fun. From a series standpoint, it's a positive.

It works well enough for a single player. Haven't tried with party or the new update that just came out. Biggest issues are random crashes or errors, plus quitters.

I've had 500 dollars set aside for an Xbox One + MCC since before the game came out. I ask every week whether the game is fixed just to see if I can finally pull the trigger. I want nothing else enough to buy an Xbox One, so it'll pretty much just be a Halo machine. If the series came to PC in full, that leaves me with no real reason to own an Xbox One.

So yeah, I agree with you, it'll be a positive for me, lol.

Nowise10

http://halo.bungie.net/news/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=BWU_050710

Bungie's first weekly update after the Reach beta went LIVE. Dat relationship and personallity Bungie has. 343 should try and better theirs, because with Halo 5s beta, I felt like it was just barren in that "community" aspect. They only tweeted the Halo 5 beta even existed 4 times since it launched on December 29th. They(or any developers I follow) didn't even tweet out that it ended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddXe104Zpt8
Bungie even made a special video after the Reach beta ended, and they uploaded 3-4 community clips from the Reach beta every week on their YouTube channel. It felt nice and what makes me like Bungie a lot still.

King Leo

Neo Member

Insurgency, a modern-day war sim/arcade game that resembles COD and Counter-strike, uses an unlimited sprint option but has a brutal damage model for the gunplay, basically in one shot you're dead...so you can't just sprint around the map like a typical COD player.

In that game, I have ZERO qualms with sprint and ADS, and its ADS isn't fast-scope...there's a delay in bringing the aim up each time you do it.

But in a game like Halo, an arena arcade deathmatch game, I don't see the point of sprint and ADS...even if it is cosmetic (which we have ruled out it is).

Truth is.. they don't. Game developers, at least in the console FPS scene, don't want to be polarizing and would rather follow the trend. It's safer and nets you more money, but they're sacrificing a memorable game in the process. You're right, they're scared to take the classic route. I hate it, but at the same time, I can understand why. They're trying to find that middle ground between classic and modern style. I loved the beta. However, I have no hopes in the final version of Halo 5. Even if there is some competitiveness, we'll have to strip the game down to bare bones just to find it.

Bungie's first weekly update after the Reach beta went LIVE. Dat relationship and personallity Bungie has. 343 should try and better theirs, because with Halo 5s beta, I felt like it was just barren in that "community" aspect. They only tweeted the Halo 5 beta even existed 4 times since it launched on December 29th. They(or any developers I follow) didn't even tweet out that it ended.

Bungie even made a special video after the Reach beta ended, and they uploaded 3-4 community clips from the Reach beta every week on their YouTube channel. It felt nice and what makes me like Bungie a lot still.

Yeah, some dudes maybe Tweeting but overall the whole community engagement felt kinda lacking. Hopefully they'll do some sort of proper post-beta breakdown.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I think Reflex looks boring because it IS quake. I see almost no differences aside from maps and art. I guess if you get bored of Quake Live and want to still play Quake but have it look different go play Reflex.

Toxikk looks awesome.

Both are PC only though so RIP me

I guess I could see that perspective.

FYI, don't buy Reflex yet...I just bought it earlier, 9.99, and I know it's early access, but there's absolutely no settings/options for key binds yet.

:(

Edit: Ryn, it's confirmed from playing the beta that ADS gives tighter shots to the weapons as well as gives damage boosts to weapons, e.g., the Light Rifle, though I wouldn't call that ADS since it's technically a full-screen scope ;)

It's not just cosmetic. But Josh Holmes was right when he tweeted no penalty for hip fire...technically there isn't a penalty for choosing not to ADS...but those that do ADS technically get an advantage, couple that with the auto-scoping after being descoped....which I find seriously stupid.

Sephzilla

New MCC patch is out.

First time searching for a BTB game gets players in seconds and the crashes. Next game starts up with a 5v7.

I'm pretty sure 343i's C-Team is writing these patches

New MCC patch is out.

First time searching for a BTB game gets players in seconds and the crashes. Next game starts up with a 5v7.

Yeah I played a bit last night and it was 50/50. Halo 4 matches started with 9 players twice, then a crapped out game before it started and then about 2 or 3 solid matches after that. When I changed to BTB or Halo 2 classic no players matched and I just switched it off to go to bed.

New MCC patch is out.

We need a highlight reel really, some of the fuckups are actually funny.

-Ranked Forge slayer
-3v5 slayer
-Launching from matchmaking into campaign somehow

HTupolev

We need a highlight reel really, some of the fuckups are actually funny.

-Ranked Forge slayer
-3v5 slayer
-Launching from matchmaking into campaign somehow
My favorite thing was a team slayer game where Derelict got voted for. Instead of starting the game, MCC dumped everyone into a party with me as the leader. At this point I was confused, but figured "why the hell not" and started a search in the BTB list. Next thing you know, a Derelict load screen pops up, and... it started a game of 8-player FFA? After the game I was still party lead.

I just... I don't... whatever.

When do we get ranked playlists??? Halo CE ranked, H2 ranked, HCS ranked, etc...
Eventually™, maybe™.

If the game ever makes it to a sufficiently-functional state that rankings would feel meaningful, I might start wondering.

Madness

The killcams in H2A are ridiculous as well. Hate that they are default in matchmaking for everyone. Stop showing me that I died from the guy 20 feet in front who out shot me, let me see what happened, did he die, did my grenade connect, etc.

Matchmaking seems working well enough but there is just no urge or joy in playing.

Akai__

How about they fix the game first to a state where it doesn't crash that often and finds matches often enough, yes?

Ranks will do nothing right now

Lots of people don't know this, but ranks in MCC mean nothing currently. They are just a number beside your name and you don't get matched according to skill.

I mean, it's obvious that ranks don't work, because the game doesn't work properly in 1st place, but we really don't need ranks right now. We need 343i and MS fixing the game 1st and then we can talk about more (ranked) playlists.

Sik, I have two CLIPS. Figured I'll get these in there as my clips until I have time to look through them. Didn't know XboxClips was removing all of my good stuff, so wanted to at least get something memorable in before you finished:

The sticky at the end of this
Mostly for the sticky at the end, but Munch would be disappointed by this Sword.

#NoMotionTracker 1
#NoMotionTracker 2

Figured I'll go with something funny. If you can, the two motion tracker clips would look nice edited together, otherwise only 2 is fine, and I chose the sticky because it was right on his eye lol

Madness

4 minutes of waiting for a big team battle match. Searching for more players... Finally get a match, instead of 6v6, match begins 7v5. Quit right away. At this point, done with the game as well. Just no point.

heckfu

Banned
There's nothing constructive to my following post other than getting on the table for probably the last time how I feel but I just tried to boot up MCC and it wouldn't even launch.

I dunno, what else is there to say? I've never purchased anything that just...didn't work. Incredibly disappointing.

Lots of people don't know this, but ranks in MCC mean nothing currently. They are just a number beside your name and you don't get matched according to skill.

I mean, it's obvious that ranks don't work, because the game doesn't work properly in 1st place, but we really don't need ranks right now. We need 343i and MS fixing the game 1st and then we can talk about more (ranked) playlists.

Yup ranks are beyond frustrating atm. I got to 23 in H2A before I gave up. The matchmaking is completely broken. Most of my games look something like this:

23, 5, 3, 7, 8 vs. 16, 17, 19, 15, 15

Also add in all the uneven starts and rage quitters. They need to fix the game before even thinking about adding ranks to other playlist.

blamite

I just played a game of H2A 1-Flag on Stonetown (concrats on finally getting me into a BTB game, btw), and I have... some questions.

Is the gametype really supposed to

1. have selectable loadouts (SMG, Plasma Rifle, or Magnum)?
  2. have killcams?
  3. end after just to rounds (we were inning 1-0) even though the scoreboard said "round 2 of 6"?

Also the voting screen doesn't actually beep like it's supposed to. And the music is quieter in lobbies, but it gets really loud again on map loading screens.

GG 343.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Tried one match of MCC.

3v4 multi flag.

I'm done with MCC for another month.

Ramirez

There's nothing constructive to my following post other than getting on the table for probably the last time how I feel but I just tried to boot up MCC and it wouldn't even launch.

I dunno, what else is there to say? I've never purchased anything that just...didn't work. Incredibly disappointing.

There was a bad Sonic game in '06, I know how you feel.

Don't worry, we've all had situations that happened. But look on the bright side, the glass is half-full.

We only need one more person, game! Is it really that hard to find one more person?!

I don't think this is a MCC issue. I think this is a 343 issue. When we needed one more person to start the game in the Halo 5 beta it would take forever to find one as well.

RowdyReverb

Is there any point to leaving H5 Beta installed anymore?
If you need the storage space, no. Even if they recycled the executable somehow for another beta, the necessary patching would likely be such an extensive download that it would be just as easy to download it from scratch.

IHaveIce

Banned
Now I eagerly await 343 to announce that they take everything I liked about Halo 5 out and make AR starts universal.

Then they would have ruined everything.

Also make some god damn communication, why is what broken and so on, go all technical on us.

Better than saying "stay tuned we are sorry" for months now.

Just give us some insight

Welfare

Now I eagerly await 343 to announce that they take everything I liked about Halo 5 out and make AR starts universal.

Then they would have ruined everything.

Also make some god damn communication, why is what broken and so on, go all technical on us.

Better than saying "stay tuned we are sorry" for months now.

Just give us some insight

This is a company that will only communicate to the fanbase through press releases. They have almost always been silent to the fanbase and that isn't stopping.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
The killcams in H2A are ridiculous as well. Hate that they are default in matchmaking for everyone. Stop showing me that I died from the guy 20 feet in front who out shot me, let me see what happened, did he die, did my grenade connect, etc.

Matchmaking seems working well enough but there is just no urge or joy in playing.

They should not be appearing in matchmaking. Can you let me know which playlist you're seeing them in, and the gametype please?

-Ryn

Banned

I miss Halo era Bungie

Truth is.. they don't. Game developers, at least in the console FPS scene, don't want to be polarizing and would rather follow the trend. It's safer and nets you more money, but they're sacrificing a memorable game in the process. You're right, they're scared to take the classic route. I hate it, but at the same time, I can understand why. They're trying to find that middle ground between classic and modern style. I loved the beta. However, I have no hopes in the final version of Halo 5. Even if there is some competitiveness, we'll have to strip the game down to bare bones just to find it.
What makes you say this?

Do you mean that you think the final game will be worse than the beta? If so, why?

Edit: Ryn, it's confirmed from playing the beta that ADS gives tighter shots to the weapons as well as gives damage boosts to weapons, e.g., the Light Rifle, though I wouldn't call that ADS since it's technically a full-screen scope ;)

It's not just cosmetic. But Josh Holmes was right when he tweeted no penalty for hip fire...technically there isn't a penalty for choosing not to ADS...but those that do ADS technically get an advantage, couple that with the auto-scoping after being descoped....which I find seriously stupid.
Didn't the Light Rifle do more damage per shot when zoomed in H4? That's a weapon feature, not an ADS feature lol
;)

Zoom reduces spread as well since the reticle doesn't get any bigger when you use it. Granted the boost in accuracy is more significant for autos in H5 if you compare the Silenced SMG with the H5 iteration.

There was a bad Sonic game in '06, I know how you feel.
tumblr_m0krnpYYQa1rrqaigo1_500.gif

RowdyReverb

They should not be appearing in matchmaking. Can you let me know which playlist you're seeing them in, and the gametype please?
While you're here, is the "Game Ready!" notification supported by MCC? I just tried to watch Twitch while matchmaking was working thinking it would notify me when a match was found like the H5 beta would, but when I checked back a game had already started. It's a nice little convenience to have, especially if matchmaking is taking a little longer.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Tried one match of MCC.

3v4 multi flag.

I'm done with MCC for another month.

Ahh this depresses me.

Why might you ask?

Well my setup is kinda odd. I have a desk where my desktop PC is and I also use this same desk for playing my Xbox One, specifically FPS games, because I can't stand playing FPS games on my 46 inch tv from the couch, I instead use my 24 inch TV on my desk, but it means pushing the PC display back into the desk and making room for my TV. Then I hook up my Xbox One to the outlet and to the TV and I'm good to go. All of this setup in hopes that MCC will work...only after doing it...the crap that you posted above happens, then it makes me rage and I unplug everything I just setup and put it back on the floor and bring my PC display back to where it was and commence Diablo 3 or Quake Live or Guild Wars 2 or Insurgency...ya know....games that actually fucking work.

308a899665b531158dc82408c18b1c71.gif

Ryn, yes, there is a damage buff for the light rifle when zoomed in....comon man, what are we gonna call it universally? Smart scope? ADS? It doesn't matter what the fuck it is, ADS or not...the fact that we're getting buffs when scoped in on any weapon makes it kinda odd in my opinion.

Now I'm going to argue that the light rifle buff is fucking bad ass (call me hypocrite) however, it takes precision aiming to land the fucking shots, where as smart scoping a fucking AR/SMG is purely point and spray....so.....do the math.

By the way, not arguing with you specifically, moreso I'm directing my point to 343.

Gonna give a buff to scoping in...okay...then it shouldn't apply to full auto weapons...at all....period.

Damn I love ellipse...

Edit...again...

I gotta say Halo GAF, you make my work day humorous. I take short few minute breaks at work and check out what the latest is on Halo GAF and it keeps me sane at work. What's depressing though is knowing that after eight hours of hell, I can't ever come home to a full functional Halo Master Chief Collection. What furthered the frustration was this past weekend when I was looking forward to a fun-filled weekend of Halo 5 beta with the AR/BR starts...but holy fucking shit what happened????? 343 thought it would be cute to go back to AR/Pistol....holy fucking balls. What an awesome idea.

Oh my the patch only made things worse. MUCH WORSE. In fact it actually went backwards, I am now having bugs that I havent had in a long time.
This started as just a few bullet points but I've been updating it with my continued experiences tonight after the patch. Location west coast USA, I've already tried hard resetting.

• I tried to get into a match and it put me and everyone else into a customs lobby.
  • Matchmaking sometimes gets stuck on the voting screen and allows me to vote twice, but the second vote doesnt matter. Thanks for bringing this back too. I missed it.
  • When viewing the player roster it now lets me select the "In Lobby" header and shows me who the LEADER of this "Dedicated Server" is. Thats new.
  • If I manage to get a real game. when that game starts it is then clearly not on a dedicated server. Rubber banding and host migrations galore.
  • Right now I am in a Halo 4 match that is glitching so bad it is literally unplayable and is going black every 10 seconds or so. It started off just doing it once or twice a minute but then it started cycling like wild.
  • Oh, the match ended at 250 points. In BTB.
  • I'm playing Halo 1 now and I see that the sniper rifle and the pistol (maybe more) no longer have any zoom sounds. This was fine at launch, got broken in a patch, fixed again, and has now been broken again. Make up your minds you sadists.
  • Okay well now I'm starting a new search and it just flat out failed. Got about 14 players and then didnt do anything. People left, then it actually said Host Migration in Progress and dropped everyone remaining. Now I'm just here alone and matchmaking isn't doing shit. It's been sitting there for about 10 minutes now and I havent given enough of a shit to do anything about it. Glad that we're back to November-calibre functionality.
Check out a couple clips from that great Halo 4 match.

That and UI updates are definitely a priority over the multiplayer working.

MATCHMAKING:
Improved matchmaking search success rates.
-My failure rate just went way up.

Made an update to reduce instances of “Awaiting Privileges” matchmaking errors.
-I've never seen this error in the first place.

Made an update to ensure player counts more reliably match the expected numbers for each playlist.
-BTB still finds 16 players an impossibility.

Fixed an issue where player would sometimes appear to be searching in an incorrect “FIND GAME” screen.
-This bug was already fixed for me, but now I'm definitely getting it AFTER the patch.

Added countdown sound effect to the voting timer.
-The sound is absent. Did you even try the patch ONCE?

blamite

This is a company that will only communicate to the fanbase through press releases. They have almost always been silent to the fanbase and that isn't stopping.
14-Day Buy and Play™

BTB One-Flag is the only H2A Gametype I've played since the patch, but it had them, and selectable loadouts. Also the game ended after just two rounds instead of the six(?) it as supposed to go for.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
The game has been broken for long enough now that I'm just imagining some devious/evil 343 employee has rigged a news ticker to display all of the "3v4 industries" type posts from Twitter and forums. Maybe in the break room. And above it is Frankie's face with a speech bubble that says, "Get back to work!"

• "3v4 multi flag again."
  • "Team slayer with three teams."
  • "BTB has 6 players."
  • "Found a full game in 5 seconds, then the game crashed."
Tashi/Frankie, can you confirm or deny?

edit: I created a quick mockup of the sign. Feel free to use it as you please.

eOBFmkz.png

RowdyReverb

I just got a couple H4 BTB matches in a row. Some notes:

- Matchmaking times are better than they used to be. It still feels like there's room for improvement, but for all I know it's a population issue.
- Not sure if it's a bug or a feature, but all the loadouts options are all the same except for starting weapon, regardless of my custom loadouts. Happened in both matches.
- 4-shot BR is definitely back.
- Second game ended a bit prematurely at 250 points instead of 1000.

For Competitive play it doesn't. But the mechanic itself is just another means to immerse Players into the game play. Game that feel more realistic immerse players more. Adding hud movement (maybe not alot but minimal), screen bob(keep this minimal) and even ads adds to the realism and immersion.

I know this doesn't really mean much for multiplayer. But is little things like this that IMHO make me feel more part of the game. In halo 4 i felt like Chief. A hulking super soldier in power armor, more so then i ever had(regardless of story and everything else).The movement and sounds effects, they added to the player just makes it feel that much more real.

Just my $.02

dwells

They've been in every objective game type in ranked Halo 2 Anniversary since a couple updates ago. Load outs or weapon sets are also enabled, and it's SMG spawns. It used to be the correct BR spawn settings and no kill cams, but it's been broken for over a month now.

Has 343 not been aware of this? It's literally every single objective game in the playlist, all it takes is a few minutes of play testing to see it. I don't mean to be brash, but how are we supposed to believe that this game is getting the proper quality and amount of attention it needs if something like that has gone unnoticed for so long?

I think it's time to offer a buyback program and give us refunds. It's the right thing to do, and it's the only truly fair solution.

Top Bottom