• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Do you hate 5's ADS purely because of the visual factor? Because it's effect really isn't that large...

Cosmetically, I don't care about it.

What I disagree with is that the COD-style controller settings (left trigger smart scope) gives a distinctive advantage over those using right stick click scoping. The game auto-scopes you back in after you've been de-scoped.

Why would they do that? It defeats the purpose of de-scoping. I've seen plenty of kill cams where the other players are just holding down LT and not having to worry about getting de-scoped because they go right back into it.

RBK

Banned
Just restarted MCC twice with no update prompt.

Was finding matches pretty easily in the H4 playlist, but anything helps.

jem0208

Cosmetically, I don't care about it.

What I disagree with is that the COD-style controller settings (left trigger smart scope) gives a distinctive advantage over those using right stick click scoping. The game auto-scopes you back in after you've been de-scoped.

Why would they do that? It defeats the purpose of de-scoping. I've seen plenty of kill cams where the other players are just holding down LT and not having to worry about getting de-scoped because they go right back into it.

Actually, that's something I completely understand and agree with.

I think the best solution would be to make it toggle zoom on the trigger, instead of hold to zoom. It retains familiarity for CoD players whilst completely removing the advantage of that control scheme.

wwm0nkey

So from Microsoft's CEO twitter:

B6NK-DPIAAA3i_D.jpg

NOTE: This is from December, but could still be relevant.

Woorloog

Banned
Sprint is here to stay but according to Frankie a toggle for ADS isn't out of the question.

But does have effect on the game, does it not? Thus a toggle does not remove its effect (and even if it did, it would be mere handicap, wouldn't it?)... unless it is a visual toggle, that is, weapon such as the assault rifle just get a functional scope, something they haven't had before. Something weapons like the assault rifle should not even have in the first place really, especially if it does add to their accuracy.

(Funny thing about Halo PC Custom Edition: some custom maps had weapons with "binoculars" to imitate Halo 2, but due to engine limitations, they were effectively scopes and could be used as such. Not very useful for inaccurate weapons like the SMG though.)

Fucking game industry.
Anyone know any new FPS that does not feature either sprint or ADS? Preferably something with reasonable production values, nothing that looks like Minecraft...

how much do you guys want to bet the MCC Platinum edition is going to come to Windows 10 with:

1080p60 H2A campaign
ODST expansion
Relic multiplayer map
just about everything fixed

and basically toted as the "real launch" of the game

wwm0nkey

how much do you guys want to bet the MCC Platinum edition is going to come to Windows 10 with:

1080p60 H2A campaign
ODST expansion
Relic multiplayer map

You mean 4k and 144fps right :p

but yeah since the population of MCC probably had a drop due to bugs I think a re-release on PC that works at launch will help them make money and to get people on Xbox One to try it again.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Would make sense if it came out for PC...since they're using PC-code for HCE and Halo 2. I'd love to know how they plan to port the other titles.

Computer

No kidding. The biggest issue is the ten match placement system. I don't doubt any of you are semi-pro or Onyx or better. But honestly, ten wins to give you the highest placement in the game? Even if you go 1-16 from that point onwards, you've still been placed with people who are semi-pro or onyx and they can carry you to wins, or if you suck so much, you're causing them to lose, you still would need to lose like 50-100+ matches in a row to actually drop down to silver or bronze then.

Let's say you had a few off games, or you got paired with exceptionally bad randoms, like Karl said above the sheer variability can make it a grind.

Juices could be an Onyx level player, it doesn't stop the fact that he's placed so low, that he has to grind, backpack up. I know myself, I definitely thought I was better than I actually was, because when I'd play the odd semi-pro or onyx, I'd get donged on. But against even gold 3, I could hold my own. I went 30+ games being the top player on my team or both teams, would have more than a 3.0 K/D, it just wasn't fun at all.

I'd either win in blowouts, or lose in a close match where some guy went 4-16 and yet, would go up or down in small increments. Best option? Make everyone Iron 1 and then have them move up like in past games.

I think the 10 game rank should be pushed to 20 with the first 5 not counting against you. Hell it takes about 10 just to get a feel for the game. How can a rank be decided on a game you literally just started playing for the first time. I also feel that the highest level you should get with in the first 20 games should be gold. You can grind a higher rank from there and it will still separate the good players from the bad. No one should hit the top rank in 10 or 20 games. Make them work for it. Give the player a reason to play.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I doubt that Windows 10 will make everything cross-compatible, and I doubt even more that MCC will be released on PC.

Remote play though? Almost a given at this point.

Madness

Literally nothing to lose anymore with having MCC on PC, everything to gain. Quite a few people I know who didn't buy Xbox One and are Halo fans, who'd buy MCC right away. Sales are done for the console version. Whatever other schmuck like me got the Xbone for it, it won't matter to us if it now comes on PC.

Having it on PC, they can relaunch it with most of issues fixed. Halo would not only gain some more mindshare/marketshare on PC, but it will help rejuvenate the series in a sense. PC'ers never got to play Halo 3 or Halo 4, this would be their chance. It could probably also get them somewhat nostalgic or excited for Halo 5.

RBK

Banned
Getting a ton of "Failed to Connect" errors post-patch.

Guess I'll have to wait for the update to hit the masses.

AlStrong

Would be neat if they ported it using the DX12 API. Also... proper anti-aliasing & texture filtering options. Oh and... updated water shaders, shadowing, more lights. Some dynamic AO like Reach/H5.

nillapuddin

I finished the season finale of SHIELD and watched That Awkward Moment last night

SHIELD, Halo 2 Anniversary Multiplayer

Awkward, Halo 4 Campaign/Multiplayer

bonus round: watched grandmas boy this morning
Halo 2

Welfare

they play those games in the show/movie and reference Halo directly

There have been dozens of examples of Halo on the small and big screens, I just thought it was funny that the last 3 pieces of media I watched all had Halo in them

The Halo Reach beta was in an episode of Psych.

Halo is big.

Madness

Namond plays Halo 2 in The Wire as well. Halo was definitely a phenomenon back in the day. Now, it's probably Minecraft or something.

jem0208

they play those games in the show/movie and reference Halo directly

There have been dozens of examples of Halo on the small and big screens, I just thought it was funny that the last 3 pieces of media I watched all had Halo in them

Ohhh, I see what you mean.

Big Bang Theory constantly references Halo. They have a dedicated Halo night.

willow ve

1080p60 H2A campaign
ODST expansion
Relic multiplayer map

False.

This game will NEVER have "just about everything fixed" - never, ever, ever.

-Ryn

Banned
But does have effect on the game, does it not? Thus a toggle does not remove its effect (and even if it did, it would be mere handicap, wouldn't it?)... unless it is a visual toggle, that is, weapon such as the assault rifle just get a functional scope, something they haven't had before. Something weapons like the assault rifle should not even have in the first place really, especially if it does add to their accuracy.

(Funny thing about Halo PC Custom Edition: some custom maps had weapons with "binoculars" to imitate Halo 2, but due to engine limitations, they were effectively scopes and could be used as such. Not very useful for inaccurate weapons like the SMG though.)
Essentially it would be a switch to the classic scope visually, while still having the current functionality.

It already functions like the original Zoom did. However now it effects auto weapons so they'd probably design a classic scope for the AR and SMG... and Swords.

Didn't know that about CE. That's pretty interesting.

Fucking game industry.
Anyone know any new FPS that does not feature either sprint or ADS?
Well there's-

Preferably something with reasonable production values, nothing that looks like Minecraft...
Oh...

btags

So now that the halo 5 beta is over, how does everyone think the covenant weapon set will factor into the final release? They have always been incredibly fun and useful for singleplayer but in multiplayer they just do not seem competitive. Maybe they could bring back slowed movement when hit with plasma weapons or make them tear through shields better than any other weapons. Anyone else have any ideas how to make them competitive?

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Ultimate question, why do games today need sprint and ADS?

Insurgency, a modern-day war sim/arcade game that resembles COD and Counter-strike, uses an unlimited sprint option but has a brutal damage model for the gunplay, basically in one shot you're dead...so you can't just sprint around the map like a typical COD player.

In that game, I have ZERO qualms with sprint and ADS, and its ADS isn't fast-scope...there's a delay in bringing the aim up each time you do it.

But in a game like Halo, an arena arcade deathmatch game, I don't see the point of sprint and ADS...even if it is cosmetic (which we have ruled out it is).

Woorloog

Banned
Debatable but...
Toxikk
Unreal
Reflex
Reflex looks about the crap i don't care for. Sure, it is clear but it is also goddamn boring.
I am all for games filling the role that old halo games, quake, etc. used to fill but I hate it so much when they advertise themselves as not being A,, rather than stating they are B.

Toxikk on the other hand looks nicer, though someone has to elaborate on this "advertising they're B".

(Also should probably add, i'm more interested in a single player experience. Or specifically, a game that provides both good SP and multiplayer.)

I am all for games filling the role that old halo games, quake, etc. used to fill but I hate it so much when they advertise themselves as not being A,, rather than stating they are B.

"NO BULLSHIT WHERE YOUR CHARACTER CAN RUN"

"ADVANCED MAP TACTICS INCLUDING HEALTH PACKS AND NO RECHARGING HEALTH BAR"

"CLASSIC PLAYSTYLE PAYING HOMAGE TO A GAME I CAN'T GET OVER ALSO ALL GAMES MADE AFTER IT ARE SHIT"

btags

Reflex looks about the crap i don't care for. Sure, it is clear but it is also goddamn boring.

Toxikk on the other hand looks nicer, though someone has to elaborate on this "advertising they're B".

(Also should probably add, i'm more interested in a single player experience. Or specifically, a game that provides both good SP and multiplayer.)

Basically this trailer (almost half of it is spent enumerating things the games is not):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B28oQvaL7Mg

I can understand why they do it in that manner, but it just seems lazy and in poor taste. Show me what makes your game unique/good, not what makes other games bad. I guess you can argue that they are one in the same for this game, but I'd rather they speak in the positive instead of the negative.

"NO BULLSHIT WHERE YOUR CHARACTER CAN RUN"

"ADVANCED MAP TACTICS INCLUDING HEALTH PACKS AND NO RECHARGING HEALTH BAR"

"CLASSIC PLAYSTYLE PAYING HOMAGE TO A GAME I CAN'T GET OVER ALSO ALL GAMES MADE AFTER IT ARE SHIT"

Also this. That kind of tone irks me as it makes it seem like we reached the pinnacle of game design decades ago and now everything else is just shit. Change just for the sake of it is bad, but change can also be great for games.

Woorloog

Banned
Ah, i see. On paper, that doesn't tell much about the game, i think. For all i know, it might be like Doom, or Wolfenstein 3D.
(EDIT i mean the concept. Didn't watch the trailer itself yet.)

wwm0nkey

Well if anyone is still interested in Toxikk, after I'm done with my initial impression on the 22nd I'll probably be giving out 3 copies of the game.

TTUVAPOR

Banned

How is Reflex boring? It's core arena deathmatch...it's basically challenge pro mode quake.

Tawpgun

How is Reflex boring? It's core arena deathmatch...it's basically challenge pro mode quake.

I think Reflex looks boring because it IS quake. I see almost no differences aside from maps and art. I guess if you get bored of Quake Live and want to still play Quake but have it look different go play Reflex.

Toxikk looks awesome.

Both are PC only though so RIP me

Akai__

Played 3 games so far. Patch didn't do anything for me. 1 game laggy, 1 game crashed before it started and the last one crashed mid game.

Also:

Added countdown sound effect to the voting timer.

There's no sound effect. At least not in the Halo 3 playlist.

RowdyReverb

Regarding the time it takes to earn rank- wouldn't it be neat if you could place a rank wager on a game? It would be in the form of a multiplier such that your gains or losses of performance points that round are doubled or even tripled? It would have to be limited to 1-2 games per day to avoid boosting, but it might provide people frustrated by the slog some relief.

Played 3 games so far. Patch didn't do anything for me. 1 game laggy, 1 game crashed before it started and the last one crashed mid game.

Also:

There's no sound effect. At least not in the Halo 3 playlist.

Huh weird. Just played five games and didn't have any problems at all (except for AR starts standoff. I mean come on).

Though the sound effect was missing for me too in the slayer playlist.

Tomash

I searched 15 min for a BTB match onyl for it to crash immidietaly. I've been searching for 10 min now, and I ended up in a game party, became a party leader of that party, chosen Big Team again and now stuck on dialog 'Connection Failed' with SYNCHORNIZNG DATA in lower right corner. Had to quit the game.

Trey

If the MCC ever released on PC the chances of me ever buying an Xbox One drastically diminish. I'd want Halo 5 on PC too.

By the way does the MCC work yet?

Akai__

4th game starting uneven for me (3vs4
industries
), but luckily I carried the team with 24-7-11.

Huh weird. Just played five games and didn't have any problems at all (except for AR starts standoff. I mean come on).

Though the sound effect was missing for me too in the slayer playlist.

At this point, I believe these issues are all random. Like, every other person is complaining about an other game being laggy and not working properly.

jem0208

I just had a couple of games which seemed to work just fine. Matchmaking still takes too long but it's finding matches for me now.

I miss Halo 5 though.

Madness

If the MCC ever released on PC the chances of me ever buying an Xbox One drastically diminish. I'd want Halo 5 on PC too.

By the way does the MCC work yet?

But doubt you'd really buy MCC or an Xbox One now right? At least on PC, you're still buying and playing Halo and having fun. From a series standpoint, it's a positive.

It works well enough for a single player. Haven't tried with party or the new update that just came out. Biggest issues are random crashes or errors, plus quitters.

Top Bottom