• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Fracas

#fuckonami
To be fair, most ranking systems are pretty conservative in terms of placement.

Then again, most people here got fairly high ranks so I dunno.

Ramirez

I mean its very easy to call me salty. I actually find it more funny. It ultimately just destroys my will to continue playing and caring about ranking up in a system I find flawed to begin with.

I honestly don't care if you can't see that there's a problem with putting a 10/10 wins in Silver II, well I'm sorry. I was Onyx in Reach I was 50 in 3. I was high in H2. I'm just an above average player. The system simply did not work. You can make jokes about how I'm upset or you can simply admit the system has a flaw and maybe try and discuss it with some constructive criticism. That's up to you.

I don't pretend to know the system in and out. I can only go off what I played, and I never ran into a Silver that played better than higher ranks. I got Gold 2 in Breakout and I thought the system was being fair to me because I'm pretty shit at the gametype.

You should have played Slayer and saw where you placed there after learning the controls in Breakout. Instead you deleted it and started spewing your usual hire me nonsense, so who knows where you actually should have placed, you didn't try.

Booties

Banned
The system as it currently is does not favor skilled players. I couldn't get out of bronze with 50-60 wins.

I like clamber though. Makes the maps a lot more fun to play.

I feel like sprint should have a different balancing mechanic. Being connected to shield recharging works in some cases but if I get into a BR battle and win or a dude just melee's me right before I kill him now I can't sprint until my shield goes back up. The nerf is supposed to deter use of sprint defensively but in cases like these it's also deterring it offensively as well.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I mean its very easy to call me salty. I actually find it more funny. It ultimately just destroys my will to continue playing and caring about ranking up in a system I find flawed to begin with.

I honestly don't care if you can't see that there's a problem with putting a 10/10 wins in Silver II, well I'm sorry. I was Onyx in Reach I was 50 in 3. I was high in H2. I'm just an above average player. The system simply did not work. You can make jokes about how I'm upset or you can simply admit the system has a flaw and maybe try and discuss it with some constructive criticism. That's up to you.

The ranking system needs work, for sure. I dominated (most of the time) in the beta and was a silver 1. KDA of nearly 5, and over 60% win % I believe. My friend (that only plays with me) landed in gold 3 with a KDA of 1.something and far less wins.

It infuriated me to see a few gold/onyx players with negative KDAs and like 3 wins.

I'm hoping it's just issues in the beta. Thankfully we had a beta this time.

Karl2177

I don't pretend to know the system in and out. I can only go off what I played, and I never ran into a Silver that played better than higher ranks. I got Gold 2 in Breakout and I thought the system was being fair to me because I'm pretty shit at the gametype.

You should have played Slayer and saw where you placed there after learning the controls in Breakout. Instead you deleted it and started spewing your usual hire me nonsense, so who knows where you actually should have placed, you didn't try.

Juices and I had a difference in 2 games during our prelim matches. I got Onyx 2, he got Silver 2. I went 9-1 with the loss coming to Gold players, he went 10-0. I'm with juices, that the ranking system has some issues in showing what goes into ranking a player. It can't be just wins and who you're beating because our opponents were largely the same.

The ranking system gets weird if you are playing with ranked teammates while unranked, it does seem to put you lower than otherwise. I think it has something to do with messing with your individual performance numbers.

But still, you should've just enjoyed ROFLstomping your way up after, or made another account (because the One is dumb that way). Deleting the game just indicates you are salt incarnate.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i don't think i can take any impressions seriously if you only put 10 matches in the game. it just comes off as close minded.

Haruko

It seemed to me that the placements relied extremely heavily on individual performance, whereas every game after them relies solely on win/loss.

Only way I can really explain things like:

• Walshy being Pro in Breakout after going 4-6 in placements (pretty sure; when i looked at his stats he was placed with 4 wins)
  • Playing 9 of my 10 Stronghold placements with my brother; he gets Semi-Pro and i get Silver I.

I wonder if it took your (initial? Slayer?) rank into account when placing you in the other lists, too. Would help explain the two points above a little more, at least.

I got into IRON by not knowing the controls for the first 2-3 games. Since then my KDR has been well over 2.00. The ranking system is just dumb.

You started at level 1 in Halo 2 and 3, didn't you? I'd say it needs work buy you can still work your way up, just like past Halo games.

Booties

Banned
You started at level 1 in Halo 2 and 3, didn't you? I'd say it needs work buy you can still work your way up, just like past Halo games.

But to win 50-60 games with a 2.0 dominating kill death and only increase my tier by 1? No fucking way. System needs an overhaul, not "some work"

50-60 wins on a fresh account in love wolves halo 3 would get you into the high 30's, low 40s if you weren't cheesing the system. Probably more actually. I think I reach 45 in lone wolves with that many wins before.

To be fair you don't have to play a ton of games to understand Halo. I've known Halo for years I've discussed Halo for years here. We predicted trash settings that wouldn't work for Halo 4 pre-release as well, 343i went ahead and kept them anyways and Team Downers predictions became true regarding Halo 4 and its settings. Sometimes you can just see a train wreck about to happen but unfortunately you cant do anything about it.

In conclusion. Fuck shit.

But to win 50-60 games with a 2.0 dominating kill death and only increase my tier by 1? No fucking way. System needs an overhaul, not "some work"

50-60 wins on a fresh account in love wolves halo 3 would get you into the high 30's, low 40s if you weren't cheesing the system. Probably more actually. I think I reach 45 in lone wolves with that many wins before.

Okay, it needs a lot of work. It should take at least 20 games for an initial rank, the rank should be on personal performance as well as wins/losses (in team slayer), and if you're dominating you should definitely rank up noticeably faster. There should still be some stability though; If you have a night with shitty connections or just have a shitty night it shouldn't destroy your rank, and vice versa.

I was satisfied with where I was by the end of the beta though at Gold 3, although my k/d was still at about a 1.5 so even after 150 games or so it hadn't balanced out like it probably should have..

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

This isn't the old ranking system, you're not supposed to start at the bottom. You're supposed to be placed into the correct tier, and right now it doesn't work well. Booties is one example, Juices is another, I am a third.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
To be fair you don't have to play a ton of games to understand Halo. I've known Halo for years I've discussed Halo for years here. We predicted trash settings that wouldn't work for Halo 4 pre-release as well, 343i went ahead and kept them anyways and Team Downers predictions became true regarding Halo 4 and its settings. Sometimes you can just see a train wreck about to happen but unfortunately you cant do anything about it.

in other words, you went in with your mind made up.

The game is far better than 4, but how do you get that Halo 2/3 population with everything else vying for attention now? We'll have a new CoD this fall again, and likely a bunch of great single player games as well.
By not releasing in the near other huge titles. They need to find a time to release Halo 5 where there is nothing else around it, like Destiny did in September and like Titanfall did in March and like some games do over the Summer. I realize though it may be too late already to change the launch date, but if there's any wiggle room maybe they should consider it.

Releasing Halo 5 around the time of CoD and other huge titles will surely hurt the population because unless they're hardcore Halo fans, they won't stick around for more than a couple weeks once the other big games start dropping, and there will be big games dropping this Fall.

abadguy

Banned

Good thing H5 mp is as far from a "train wreck" as one can possibly get then.

Booties

Banned
Okay, it needs a lot of work. It should take at least 20 games for an initial rank, the rank should be on personal performance as well as wins/losses (in team slayer), and if you're dominating you should definitely rank up noticeably faster. There should still be some stability though; If you have a night with shitty connections or just have a shitty night it shouldn't destroy your rank, and vice versa.

I was satisfied with where I was by the end of the beta though at Gold 3, although my k/d was still at about a 1.5 so even after 150 games or so it hadn't balanced out like it probably should have..

Who wants to play 20 games to get a rank? This whole system is bad because it stems from the Halo Reach Arena which required 10 games. That system fuckign sucked and no one played it.

Bring back 1-50. That system clearly worked better.

Also give me performance points. I shouldn't get the same measly amount of XP in a game I get a perfection in compared to a game I break even.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
By not releasing in the near other huge titles. They need to find a time to release Halo 5 where there is nothing else around it, like Destiny did in September and like Titanfall did in March and like some games do over the Summer. I realize though it may be too late already to change the launch date, but if there's any wiggle room maybe they should consider it.

Releasing Halo 5 around the time of CoD and other huge titles will surely hurt the population because unless they're hardcore Halo fans, they won't stick around for more than a couple weeks once the other big games start dropping, and there will be big games dropping this Fall.

I think what 343 are afraid of is classic Halo all together. I think they truly believe that classic Halo is dead and the gamers of today...the "modern" gamers, see non-ADS shooting and think to themselves "wtf?"

I've seen gamers today watch counter-strike and ask where is the ADS, where's sprint? I've seen people play Quake Live and ask...why isn't there ADS? Where's sprint?

I truly think 343 are just too scared to release a Halo game that is classic Halo gameplay. This means no sprint, no ADS. The thruster, the ground pound, slide, clamber, etc could all be good additions to Halo, but the sprint and ADS is there not to benefit Halo, but to be a selling point for modern-day gamers who come to "expect" those things in FPS games today...and probably for the rest of life.

I weep for the day that Counter-strike becomes an ADS game, with sprint. It'll happen one day.

Ask yourself this question, why hasn't there been a Quake 5?

Last Quake game was Quake 4 on PC and Xbox 360. The game flopped on the Xbox 360, but did fairly well on PC...but where's Quake 5?

id software probably thinks the same thing as 343...a classic Quake game released today wouldn't connect with today's gamers.

I'm not sure why there's a fear to release a regular classic game of its own respective game.

Rainbow Six Siege seems to be the only one going back to its roots and isn't afraid to do it.

This isn't the old ranking system, you're not supposed to start at the bottom. You're supposed to be placed into the correct tier, and right now it doesn't work well. Booties is one example, Juices is another, I am a third.

I feel like you're destined to be placed into a rank that's lower than your skill simply by virtue of the fact that you have to acclimate to the controls and changes of this new Halo. How bad you are in your first ten matches is dwarfed by your skill increase after 20 matches. So we're all trying to rank up to our correct ranks and this system doesn't empower a player to rank up quickly, even when they're going 20 and 4, destroying bad kids and are the entire reason their team was even vaguely competitive.

Booties

Banned
You should also gain momentum when you are trying to rank up. If you win 5 games in a row then you should receive a lot more xp at the end of the 6th consecutive win as opposed to the 1st. Same goes for ranking down.

This way you can break out of a division or be relegated to a lower division without it hinging on your performance in any one game. If this system was worth a damn it would have something like this to ensure people can move around and stay in the division that truly reflects their skill level.

Hire me, because obviously no one at 343 knows what the fuck a standard deviation is.

Ryck

Only need one more and a Templar CP ( or I guess from the start)

I need help today GAF. I am on a quest to get the Fatebringer before the reset. I need a hard mode Templar checkpoint and five brave souls to try and beat him three times. I'll be on in about an hour. Anyone willing?

PS4
1. Ryck007
2. silvertoguebr
3. HAL-x9000
4. CraigerGamer
5. TP-DK

Woorloog

Banned
Now that the beta's over, is there any chance Sprint and ADS are getting cut from Halo 5? Heck, is there any chance the latter is going to get cut?
Or can i finally stop thinking about Halo at all?

I just want ranks for competitive matches, but if they insist on keeping motion tracker for ranked playlists, then those competitive matches won't be competitive at all.

What am I to do? Will there be a Custom Games Browser this time around, any way to search/play what you want, when you want without having to tediously set up Custom Games?
-snip-

Rainbow Six Siege seems to be the only one going back to its roots and isn't afraid to do it.
Honestly, I don't mind ADS on most weapons and think it's a fair addition, but sprint is unnecessary when we should just be moving faster. With thrusters, if they increased the movement speed it wouldn't feel like we're slogging across maps anymore, and if they increased the FOV a bit then that would help with a player's perception of speed as well.

As for Rainbow Six Siege, I can't wait!!

-Ryn

Banned
Now that the beta's over, is there any chance Sprint and ADS are getting cut from Halo 5? Heck, is there any chance the latter is going to get cut?
Or can i finally stop thinking about Halo at all?
Sprint is here to stay but according to Frankie a toggle for ADS isn't out of the question.

Not to be a dick but are you intentionally not mentioning how many games you lost? Because you make it sound like you won the vast majority of your games and are still in bronze. Which, given my own experience of winning maybe 55% of my games and still moving from silver to gold, is kinda incomprehensible.

And, for the record, I think the ranking system does need tweaking. At the very least, there should be some kind of breakdown of why we gained or lost the points we did.

Booties

Banned
Not to be a dick but are you intentionally not mentioning how many games you lost? Because you make it sound like you won the vast majority of your games and are still in bronze. Which, given my own experience of winning maybe 55% of my games and still moving from silver to gold, is kinda incomprehensible.

And, for the record, I think the ranking system does need tweaking. At the very least, there should be some kind of breakdown of why we gained or lost the points we did.

I think my win% is 70 or higher, like it has been in every halo game I ever played in which I was 45+, onyx, gold star, whatever.

The beta was fun, but I literally stopped playing because I would just crap on kids for 2 hours and my bar wouldn't move. Shit stinks.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Sprint is here to stay but according to Frankie a toggle for ADS isn't out of the question.

So if ADS gets toggled, are they going to design traditional scopes?

If we toggle ADS off, what will scopes look like for weapons that have zoom?

Madness

No kidding. The biggest issue is the ten match placement system. I don't doubt any of you are semi-pro or Onyx or better. But honestly, ten wins to give you the highest placement in the game? Even if you go 1-16 from that point onwards, you've still been placed with people who are semi-pro or onyx and they can carry you to wins, or if you suck so much, you're causing them to lose, you still would need to lose like 50-100+ matches in a row to actually drop down to silver or bronze then.

Let's say you had a few off games, or you got paired with exceptionally bad randoms, like Karl said above the sheer variability can make it a grind.

Juices could be an Onyx level player, it doesn't stop the fact that he's placed so low, that he has to grind, backpack up. I know myself, I definitely thought I was better than I actually was, because when I'd play the odd semi-pro or onyx, I'd get donged on. But against even gold 3, I could hold my own. I went 30+ games being the top player on my team or both teams, would have more than a 3.0 K/D, it just wasn't fun at all.

I'd either win in blowouts, or lose in a close match where some guy went 4-16 and yet, would go up or down in small increments. Best option? Make everyone Iron 1 and then have them move up like in past games.

Rev3rb

Played 10/10 Got Silver 2. Deleted Beta.

In review:

Shit game, Shit ranking system, Shit playlists.

Hire Juices none of you have any idea what the fuck Halo is and how to make a Halo game.

Just like Halo 4 this game will max out at 12K players daily peaks within a few weeks because its not halo its just another generic shooter. However you'll hide the numbers this time around so it wont look so bad because you definitely don't want people posting population charts again.

Juices,

The ranking system is working exactly how it was designed.
You were thrown into Silver so you can dong on noobs all the way up to Pro.
If you were initially placed into Pro, you wouldn't have nearly as much fun.

How did you of all people not realize this?

Edit: Also, where is the MCC update that was supposed to happen this weekend? Still under testing?

Booties

Banned
Juices,

The ranking system is working exactly how it was designed.
You were thrown into Silver so you can dong on noobs all the way up to Pro.
If you were initially placed into Pro, you wouldn't have nearly as much fun.

How did you of all people not realize this?

Also, where is the MCC update that was supposed to happen this weekend? Still under testing?

working as intended folks. stop arguing.

Welfare

Edit: Also, where is the MCC update that was supposed to happen this weekend? Still under testing?

You see, because 343 are kind, they have pushed back the already pushed back update that was originally supposed to be UI fixes that then added in some multiplayer fixes, to now add in a population counter.

Bless you 343 xoxoxoxo

I don't know what they're doing, but it being 343, they are probably celebrating the Halo 5 beta ending.

Please please throw in a toggle system. That's the very least 343 could do while there's still plenty of time.

I want to be able to create a custom match where I could turn off or on Spartan Abilities. You'll open up new ways to play this way AND learning how to create new playlists for the community to enjoy.

Rev3rb

You see, because 343 are kind, they have pushed back the already pushed back update that was originally supposed to be UI fixes that then added in some multiplayer fixes, to now add in a population counter.

Bless you 343 xoxoxoxo

I don't know what they're doing, but it being 343, they are probably celebrating the Halo 5 beta ending.

Just popped in MCC to check and looks like it just released - 762mb

jem0208

I think what 343 are afraid of is classic Halo all together. I think they truly believe that classic Halo is dead and the gamers of today...the "modern" gamers, see non-ADS shooting and think to themselves "wtf?"

I've seen gamers today watch counter-strike and ask where is the ADS, where's sprint? I've seen people play Quake Live and ask...why isn't there ADS? Where's sprint?

I truly think 343 are just too scared to release a Halo game that is classic Halo gameplay. This means no sprint, no ADS. The thruster, the ground pound, slide, clamber, etc could all be good additions to Halo, but the sprint and ADS is there not to benefit Halo, but to be a selling point for modern-day gamers who come to "expect" those things in FPS games today...and probably for the rest of life.

I weep for the day that Counter-strike becomes an ADS game, with sprint. It'll happen one day.

Ask yourself this question, why hasn't there been a Quake 5?

Last Quake game was Quake 4 on PC and Xbox 360. The game flopped on the Xbox 360, but did fairly well on PC...but where's Quake 5?

id software probably thinks the same thing as 343...a classic Quake game released today wouldn't connect with today's gamers.

I'm not sure why there's a fear to release a regular classic game of its own respective game.

Do you hate 5's ADS purely because of the visual factor? Because it's effect really isn't that large...

Also I've said it before but the ranking system definitely needs some modification. Your personal performance should have an effect on the amount of points you gain or lose for a win or loss.

Top Bottom