• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Akai__

I give it a 9.8% chance of working after patch.

XS5LK.gif

9.8 AMAZING

Guys, it takes like a second to trim videos.

If they're going into the montage, untrimmed is actually better. Trimmed clips give me no breathing room for editing. :)

EDIT: And thank to everyone for the clips so far, got some GREAT stuff :) Keep it all coming.

Thrust,Sticky, Reversal, I did this a few times in Halo 4 too. Prophet's Bane Triple. I will always love the Halo Energy Sword.

Speaking of Prophet's Bane, do we have any ideas about any other Legendary weapons other than Bane? I want to see what else they can do with them other than sword+speed.
Fist of Rukt + Overshield

I think the Spartan Laser could easily become a Legendary with minimal changes.

A Magnum with explosive rounds (CE pls) has also been a popular fan suggestion.

I think an Engineer powerup could be pretty cool. Only lasts 20 seconds, but any teammates that enter your radius get a 2x overshield. It doesn't recharge so it's on traditional powerup rules.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I played some more of the beta last night, the BR starts are neat but I still think the TTK is too slow with the rifles, I much prefer the firing rate of the pistol.

My only complaint right now with the beta is there's not much going on with the maps. There's nothing really to control. No powerups, not enough power weapons. It's kinda boring to be honest. Doesn't feel like core Halo.

However, it does feel like MLG Halo 3 where on some of the maps, there wasn't any power weapons, no powerups, just BRs back and forth...boring as fuck in my opinion and not a true test of competitive prowness.

dwells

Just gonna go off topic for a moment and say that my heart goes out to everyone in France right now. I know some of you guys in here are in Europe so this is a lot more on your doorstep than it is for those of us across the pond.

Those who died should be remembered for who they were: heroes who gave their lives in the support of free speech and press.

I think the Spartan Laser could easily become a Legendary with minimal changes.

A Magnum with explosive rounds (CE pls) has also been a popular fan suggestion.

I think an Engineer powerup could be pretty cool. Only lasts 20 seconds, but any teammates that enter your radius get a 2x overshield. It doesn't recharge so it's on traditional powerup rules.

A faster charging Spartan Laser? I'm all for it.

Magni

Just gonna go off topic for a moment and say that my heart goes out to everyone in France right now. I know some of you guys in here are in Europe so this is a lot more on your doorstep than it is for those of us across the pond.

Those who died should be remembered for who they were: heroes who gave their lives in the support of free speech and press.

I appreciate it. I'm on the other side of the pond now but my friends and family (and the rest of the country it seems) are shellshocked. There are no words.

Naked Lunch

2 MCC patches incomming (finally):

One patch this Thursday, which will add achievements for Spartan Ops and MP and an other one next week, which will adress the issues.

Lets hope these Reddit rumours about that new Matchmaking (Beta) API are right and they can revert the API back to a working one.

Does anybody have a link to the rumored matchmaking redo stuff? What was said exactly? Very interesting if they go for a full on redo of the system - it needs it.

Sephzilla

Frankie said a lot of the MCC issues were tied to one big thing - if this API stuff is true that could be said "one big thing"

A faster charging Spartan Laser? I'm all for it.

Nah, doesn't need any buffs imo. It would basically double as an infantry zapper and a one-shot vehicle destroyer, so regardless of what parallel you draw (railgun, sniper, rockets) it still comes out on top. If you absolutely have to give it a player trait modifier too, you could increase the motion tracker range while holding it.

jem0208

Nah, doesn't need any buffs imo. It would basically double as an infantry zapper and a one-shot vehicle destroyer, so regardless of what parallel you draw (railgun, sniper, rockets) it still comes out on top. If you absolutely have to give it a player trait modifier too, you could increase the motion tracker range while holding it.

I want a Spartan Laser which you can continuously fire.

Haruko

Frankie said a lot of the MCC issues were tied to one big thing - if this API stuff is true that could be said "one big thing"

I agree, but I don't think there's much chance of them reverting HMCC to an outdated API. It's more likely that MS would try to fix up the new API that they intend to use for other future titles, even if that means rough times for HMCC until then

dwells

Does anybody have a link to the rumored matchmaking redo stuff? What was said exactly? Very interesting if they go for a full on redo of the system - it needs it.
The Novermber SDK added the ability to more directly access various multiplayer functions through MPSD sessions, as opposed to being forced to work through the game party abstraction layer. From what I gather, it's a bit closer to the model used on the Xbox 360, which developers were more fond of.

Given that this functionality wasn't fully exposed to developers until Novermber (shell support in November, API support in October and September), I'm not so sure about it being the cause of Master Chief Collection's problems. While it's clear the game was way behind in development, it went "gold" (more like Iron Tier, am I right?) in the middle of October.

You have to figure matchmaking was implemented for the game to go gold, and I doubt they would've migrated their setup over to a partially exposed new platform over the course of a month. If they had, one would suspect that they had a working 2014 matchmaking model implementation that they could have temporarily reverted to while they work to resolve issues.

Given the vast number of other issues with the game which go way beyond the scope of matchmaking, it seems more likely that the game was just rushed and sloppily put together and tested. Even if matchmaking worked flawlessly, there's still plenty of other major, major issues.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is to that the theories on MCC's issues being attributable to the new multiplayer model in the SDK are all strictly conjecture and should be taken with a grain of salt.

AlStrong

they had these in 3/R

Indeed... it's one of those subtle things I guess? Don't know what you've got til it's gooooone. ;)

I hated that the armor detail color didn't change the color of the lights in 3.

They exist in 4, too, but they're always pure white and don't give off any lights

Would be a nice feature to add, being able to change the light colour (for solo), team colour for team games. I don't know if they need to be real dynamic lights, but just a subtle & small glow around the points to highlight it.

Ah well.

jem0208

Halo 5, please stop putting me against Semi-pros and pros, I'm barely a Gold 3.

Also, kill cams really need to be taken out.

They really need fixing, then they should be the secondary after death cam. Sometimes I'm genuinely curious about how I died so I don't want them gone.

Haruko

Given that this functionality wasn't fully exposed to developers until Novermber (shell support in November, API support in October and September), I'm not so sure about it being the cause of Master Chief Collection's problems. While it's clear the game was way behind in development, it went "gold" (more like Iron Tier, am I right?) in the middle of October.

You have to figure matchmaking was implemented for the game to go gold, and I doubt they would've migrated their setup over to a partially exposed new platform over the course of a month. If they had, one would suspect that they had a working 2014 matchmaking model implementation that they could have temporarily reverted to while they work to resolve issues.

The 15GB day one patch that included multiplayer wasn't ready for preloading until well after the base of the game was, though. Didn't that hit less than a week before release day?

Ghazi

They really need fixing, then they should be the secondary after death cam. Sometimes I'm genuinely curious about how I died so I don't want them gone.
Like I've said before, immediately pull up death cam and insert a prompt to press X to view a kill cam

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
How does the ranking work? I somehow got placed in bronze (worked up to silver now) and have a 4.something KDA and a decent win %, yet my friend who just now got ranked got into gold 2 right away with a lower KDA and lower win %. Also I see people all the time with a negative KDA and like 7 wins and 40 losses who are gold.

Makes no sense to me.

Madness

Like I've said before, immediately pull up death cam and insert a prompt to press X to view a kill cam

Yeah that works so much better. Seriously, killcams are something I'd easily take out and would make the game ten times better. This isn't Call of Duty, very rarely do I wonder how I died or what killed me or how. Halo has much more close quarters action.

They completely ruin the tense moments going on in the match, sometimes it's a push happening by the team and as soon as you die, you want to know what happened to attacker, are your teammates able to kill him, but no, here is some cheesy music and a 5 second clip of how you died, even though you saw him out shoot you with the BR in front of you.

Overdoziz

Banned
How does the ranking work? I somehow got placed in bronze (worked up to silver now) and have a 4.something KDA and a decent win %, yet my friend who just now got ranked got into gold 2 right away with a lower KDA and lower win %. Also I see people all the time with a negative KDA and like 7 wins and 40 losses who are gold.

Makes no sense to me.
Depends on who you win or lose against.

jem0208

Exactly.
Yeah that works so much better. Seriously, killcams are something I'd easily take out and would make the game ten times better. This isn't Call of Duty, very rarely do I wonder how I died or what killed me or how. Halo has much more close quarters action.

They completely ruin the tense moments going on in the match, sometimes it's a push happening by the team and as soon as you die, you want to know what happened to attacker, are your teammates able to kill him, but no, here is some cheesy music and a 5 second clip of how you died, even though you saw him out shoot you with the BR in front of you.

I definitely have quite a few moments where I am like "What the fuck happened there?". Last game I played I had full shields and someone punched me only once and I died. Turned out someone got a headshot just as the other guy hit me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN4DIUO2mUg

Really strange drops.... they don't appear to be due to graphically intense workloads. :s

I've noticed consistent drops in the red spawn and the lower section of blue spawn. Might be due to all the weird floaty things. They don't seem too bad though, maybe mid 40s. I've noticed a few drops down to what felt like sub 30s for no apparent reason though.

Makes no sense to me.

Dunno, getting placed seems a little inconsistent and based on some invisible non-team performance metrics. I went in on my Markolopogous account playing with a full team basically to see what would happen. We never lost a game playing against mostly Onyx/Semi-pro people and it put me in Gold II (I think it was II).

Ok. Playing with highly ranked people against highly ranked people, I did not do spectacularly (but I didn't get poopsocked, either), so maybe my individual performance really mattered?

Later I went into matchmaking by myself on the same account and proceeded to carry so hard (going like 26-6, or getting perfections) I moved up to Onyx in like 4 or 5 games. I was obviously not placed where I belonged if I was getting perfections off the bat with randy teammates...

Moral of the story is that I have no idea how ranks work even though there are numbers and colors and tiers and bars and stuff.

Tawpgun

Over time, you will eventually get into the rank you deserve. 10 matches isn't enough. But any more than that is obnoxious.

Get initially placed, and then you will go up, down, or more or less stay the same.

I started as Gold 3 and now I'm some number in Semi Pro. But you bet your ass I'd probably still be some kind of Onyx if I solo matchmade.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Interesting. I know it's mainly based on wins, I just found it odd that my friend did all his first games with me and landed in gold, even though we didn't win a ton due to teammates being AFK, etc.

What are all of the levels? I've seen bronze, silver, gold, and Onyx. Also something below bronze.

Over time, you will eventually get into the rank you deserve. 10 matches isn't enough. But any more than that is obnoxious.

Get initially placed, and then you will go up, down, or more or less stay the same.

I started as Gold 3 and now I'm some number in Semi Pro. But you bet your ass I'd probably still be some kind of Onyx if I solo matchmade.

Right, but still I think it's fishy that playing against Sem-Pros right off the bad got me placed lower than going in with other unranked people. Working my way up was fun, but damn it was sad the kind of people I was playing with/against going in alone after getting ranked.

Interesting. I know it's mainly based on wins, I just found it odd that my friend did all his first games with me and landed in gold, even though we didn't win a ton due to teammates being AFK, etc.

What are all of the levels? I've seen bronze, silver, gold, and Onyx. Also something below bronze.

Iron is below Bronze. Above Onyx there's Semi-Pro then Pro.

Iron, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Onyx, Semi-Pro, and Pro

I was placed in Iron 2 (lolwut), now I'm at Gold 3. So yeah it gets better the more you play.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I made it to Gold 1 in Slayer, then played my 10 matches for Breakout and was placed in the exact same spot in Gold 1, to the point value.

I think that means I'm Gold 1 skill wise.

Tawpgun

Worth nothing that from Iron-Onyx it's a linear system. You get some points for a win, negative for a loss. At a certain threshold you rank up.

Then you hit semi pro which I THINK starts at 1500. From then that is the minimum semi pro rank, and you rank up that number. The pro rank is only for the top 200 people. So the highest 200 semi pros get promoted to pro. This means its possible for someone that is pro to be demoted to semi pro even if they don't do anything.

Madness

I definitely have quite a few moments where I am like "What the fuck happened there?". Last game I played I had full shields and someone punched me only once and I died. Turned out someone got a headshot just as the other guy hit me.

But those are the exception and not the norm. More often than not, you died by the guy right in front of you meleeing, shooting you, or having thrown a grenade no? It should be off by default, and press X to view it if you want and not the other way around.

Tawpgun

But those are the exception and not the norm. More often than not, you died by the guy right in front of you meleeing, shooting you, or having thrown a grenade no? It should be off by default, and press X to view it if you want and not the other way around.

Should be optional just because the kill cam is fucked right now. Innacurate, only shows like one second...

jem0208

I agree, that's what I've been suggesting.

I'm just saying it does happen so having both would be preferable.

I don't even think they have to be after death cam, they just need to instantly dismiss when you hit X. Right now there's some weird lag or delay that makes it essentially pointless for me to try and see the death cam.

Ehh, it's a bit jarring instantly going to the killcam. It's a lot smoother when your camera zooms out to the deathcam instead of jump cutting to killcam.

Top Bottom