• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

This isn't coffee gaf
Halsey used to leave cups of coffee out all over her messy office and sometimes drink from the old cups, no word on how that characterization relates to her being a bad, bad, lady, who is bad and also mean.

games media giving some coverage to the current state of MCC

http://www.vg247.com/2015/01/26/halo-the-master-chief-disaster/
I think party searching is working better now, but otherwise depressingly accurate. I wonder if it's just going to be caught in a death spiral of population (low population meaning longer match times, leading to more people giving up, lowering the population even more...) even if it is fixed.

Realistically I think the game is dead, since the only thing that would bring back numbers would be making it free, and MS probably isn't going to do that since they're trying to sell another Halo game this year. Wait. Maybe they'll include codes with 5? Wouldn't that be something.

What if I use a Halo themed French Press and slap a poorly drawn Master Chief helmet on my mug?

That is..... acceptable
Halsey used to leave cups of coffee out all over her messy office and sometimes drink from the old cups, no word on how that characterization relates to her being a bad, bad, lady, who is bad and also mean.

But halsey is actually nice and thinks of the greater good, it's ONI that's being mean :(

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
What's a Latte?

As in what is it like? Sweet? Creamy? Bitter? :p

Did you grow up on the moon?

A latte is espresso mixed with steamed milk. The vanilla comes from syrup or flavoring added. It's bitter to sweet depending on where you get one, but no where near as sweet as a Frappe. I like my coffee sweet.

Chitown B

Your point? Coffee is one of the most heavily sprayed crops with pesticides.

http://www.thekitchn.com/why-organic-doesnt-mean-pestic-149459

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...d23f14-f566-11e3-a3a5-42be35962a52_story.html

http://www.science20.com/agricultur...organic_does_not_buy_you_pesticidefree-136141

plus coffee beans are really cherry pits. So they're inside the fruit.

I have had a french press for a long time but I prefer Aeropress. I also have a moka pot, regular coffee maker, espresso machine, and..... my wife has a keurig with a custom cup.

Madness

Boy do I feel sorry for whoever is in charge of community feedback... I wonder if the entire 343 multiplayer team reads them, or some poor bean counter employee who is then tasked with summarizing or explaining what they've learned from each survey during a meeting with the Directors and senior staff etc.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a tea guy. Black in the morning, green in the afternoon, herbal in the evening.

I can't drink coffee anymore. It fucks with my gut. I really miss it. :-(

I miss you all even more than coffee tho. :-(((

Boy do I feel sorry for whoever is in charge of community feedback... I wonder if the entire 343 multiplayer team reads them, or some poor bean counter employee who is then tasked with summarizing or explaining what they've learned from each survey during a meeting with the Directors and senior staff etc.

I don't think it'd be too bad, not going to discuss the survey in detail but with how it is structured you'd get lottsa questions with relatively easily obtained data.

-Ryn

Banned
That is..... acceptable(
Looks like I'm off to the internet for my French Press then

Did you grow up on the moon?

A latte is espresso mixed with steamed milk. The vanilla comes from syrup or flavoring added. It's bitter to sweet depending on where you get one, but no where near as sweet as a Frappe. I like my coffee sweet.
Sounds DELICOUS. Thanks for sharing.
Yet another item to add to my list.
Tonight, I finish off a Three Olives Strawberry Vodka. Marylin Monroe is a classy lady.

I might as well have grown up on the moon

yes. if you care about taste.
I thought taste was dependent on how long you "cook" it.

I'm a tea guy. Black in the morning, green in the afternoon, herbal in the evening.

I can't drink coffee anymore. It fucks with my gut. I really miss it. :-(

I miss you all even more than coffee tho. :-(((
Tea is great

I miss you too
Where are you even?

We are so bored that we talk abou Destiny and coffee in HaloGaf.
I propose next subject being Starcraft.
I recently got into it and find myself astonished at how much Multi tasking there is. Starcraft 2 especially.

It's a great game and I want to get really good at it but I find I get too focused on certain tasks and forget to keep up on others.

I play Terrans mostly because they have mecha which are cool (and I like the play style).

Madness

I recently got into it and find myself astonished at how much Multi tasking there is. Starcraft 2 especially.

It's a great game and I want to get really good at it but I find I get too focused on certain tasks and forget to keep up on others.

I play Terrans mostly because they have mecha which are cool (and I like the play style).

Did you ever play the original or Brood War?

Well, the H5 beta wasn't running on Azure, so..........

#DedisCureCancer

Yeah that P2P fallback is really taking centre stage with MCC and the H5 beta. I'm holding out hope the platform evolution itself along with between now and release hone H5 into a Dedis beast. Like campaign, coop and multi all on dedis type beast.

Akai__

People should really fill out that new survey...

It makes me sad, that people who complain about something are too lazy to even sign up for something like this. (Not saying everyone is like that, but there's always that ONE guy.)

However, you see this everywhere. It's something I'll never get. :/

Is there a second 343i survey or are you talking about the new/junior member survey?

New Halo 5 survey.

games media giving some coverage to the current state of MCC

http://www.vg247.com/2015/01/26/halo-the-master-chief-disaster/

Trying to play the game, in other words, is an unqualified misery

But I especially feel sorry for people like my teenage nephew, whose parents got him an Xbox One and MCC for Christmas. Some suits made the deliberate choice to say “ship it for Christmas and we’ll fix it afterwards” and so – around the world – a lot of people who put their faith in Microsoft Game Studios got burned.

The fact Microsoft is offering owners of MCC a one-month extension to their Gold subscription, as well as a download of ODST at some undefined future point, does not impress. You can’t simply replace wasted time and money like-for-like, or make up for a deceptive sale with the promise of a future bonus.

Microsoft chose to sell what is, as far as I’m concerned, unfinished software as a final product in glossy boxes. The compensation being offered falls far short of the option of a full refund, which I’d consider a minimum requirement.

The fact it is, so far, getting away with this daylight robbery is astonishing.

Yup

m23

Surprisingly had a good time with MCC last night. Fast games, no lag. Why can't it be like that all the time...

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I'm blown away someone thinks Advanced Warfare has groundbreaking graphics.

Typically people who make claims like that limit their exposure to video games. Any PC game today puts CODAW graphics to shame...as pretty much any Xbox One game for that matter....in my opinion.

==

It's kinda sad, I haven't had the motivation to play MCC at all in the past few days. I re-installed Battlefield 4 and all the expansions and been playing that...more than a year later, the game finally works. What's odd though is that the expansions hardly have anyone playing those maps...it's like a waste of money to buy the premium since each expansion has its own servers...instead of having servers that have a good mix of all the maps, including expansions. But...this isn't a Battlefield thread ;)

For anyone who may be a full-time worker like me working 40-50+ hours a week and barely gets an hour to a half-hour of online gaming per night...if that...I suggest the following games, they actually work when you're in a time crunch:

For Xbox One:
Any sports game, such as Madden, FIFA, and NHL.
For shooters: CODAW, Battlefield 4

PC Land:
Guild Wars 2
World of Warcraft
Diablo 3
StarCraft II
Counter-strike Global Offensive
Insurgency (this is a great indie FPS war-sim/arcade style game, if you like COD and CS...this game will blow you away with how brutal it is).

I got my wife into World of Warcraft, so now we're leveling up characters together...it's so much fun.

Gaming is fun when it works :)

RBK

Banned
Battlefield and "time crunch" do not go hand in hand. You'll be lucky to get over 2 matches in a hour.

Halo is "playable". I'm not going to dismiss those who have constant issues as I do have my own as well, but it's "playable".

That is all.

willow ve

MCC crashed on me last night just loading up and going to Extras. Had to dashboard / launch a new game / then relaunch MCC just to watch Nightfall Episode 1.

Thoughts on Nightfall Episode 1. Plot points in spoiler tags.

A - The CGI in some of those scenes wouldn't even fly on shit tier SyFy shows. I understand the budget is low level, but wow were some of the scenes jarring. It's even more out of place considering all of the practical effects and props that are actually built.
They go through the trouble of costuming for the one alien species, yet choose to CGI the vastly more important Elite?

B - The "coming next episode" preview at the end of the episode feels like something out of 1990's television. What show has previews for the next episode? Am I supposed to be hyped over the spoilers?

C - So far the acting isn't that bad to be honest. Locke is good casting in my opinion. Some of the b tier characters are admittedly b tier actors, but that's to be expected.

D - Lololololo. Lulz. aLol. lol9.8 - Why is everything locked away in the Halo Waypoint app? Why can't Halo Waypoint streaming hold a steady and clear picture for 30 minutes?

Plot spoilers below

E - So the Halo 1 installation blows up in Halo:CE. Thanks Chief. And that explosion somehow creates a slipspace rupture that scatters the Halo 1 shards across the universe? Is that a retcon or is that actually how Halo:CE ended?

F - Oh, and the Halo 1 shard in question just happened to be fused into a new element never before seen in the entire known universe which selectively kills humans and no other organics? What in the actual fuck?

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Battlefield and "time crunch" do not go hand in hand. You'll be lucky to get over 2 matches in a hour.

Halo is "playable". I'm not going to dismiss those who have constant issues as I do have my own as well, but it's "playable".

That is all.

I can get into Battlefield domination and team deathmatch pretty quickly. Rush and Conquest are obviously much longer game modes.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I got my second Halo feedback survey for Halo 5...

I lol at the question:

In Halo 5, I like to...sprint.

If majority of people who take this survey say, strongly disagree....and they end up keeping sprint in the game...then what's the point of even asking the question? Just to make sure?? LOL.

EDIT: Finished this second survey...interesting questions. I know we're asked not to disclose, but the way these questions are written is funny...it's obvious they're listening/reading community feedback because some of the very questions in the survey are things we discussed here.

One thing I don't like is that they never seem to ask about time to kill and starting weapons. Time to kill is crucial for Halo to be a successful game in my opinion. I'd like to see a return to Halo CE-style speed of time to kill.

Punish those who are weak, and allow the strong to achieve world domination!

willow ve

Wait, what?

Josh Holmes said all H5 games were on dedis, how come they weren't running on Azure?

Halo 5 was virtually unplayable for me with the amount of lag I experienced. If that was dedicated servers then I want to go back to 2007 and use P2P connections and 768Kbps DSL.

I had games with more rubber banding / teleporting than I saw in BF4.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I heard of the feedback program but didn't know how to sign up. Oh well. I signed up now. Hopefully it's not too late.

It's surveys. They're asking pretty critical questions, I can tell they're super serious about designing a "good" Halo this time...but damn...if they don't deliver...then all these detailed oriented questions are for nothing. In otherwords, this better not be a "for show" type deal, as in, lets pretend we care but we're gonna do what the hell we want, screw the data! Screw all the naysayers not wanting sprint, screw'em! Screw'em all to hell!!!

-Ryn

Banned
Do you guys prefer finding skulls or just having them unlocked off the bat?

I personally like finding them much more. Adds more replay value to the game and it's fun for co op. The multiplayer maps with skulls were also a fun little thing to do to get an achievement. I hope that kind of stuff happens again.

Did you ever play the original or Brood War?
I played both before I jumped into Starcraft 2 actually lol

I had a buddy with a copy and he installed it on my laptop for me. We had a lot of LAN battles which were cool. Some really close calls went down like a time when he decimated me, and I had one engineer I didn't realize I had sitting right out of sight from one of his less developed bases.. He had patrols everywhere but I somehow managed to amass a huge army of anti air cannons and marines because of all the mineral I had. I still lost but it turned out he was completely out of resources and had only 1 ship left after the final battle. It felt pretty awesome.

Starcraft 2 is such a different beast though.

The Fantastic 4 trailer has a certain familiar visual:

fftrailerstill01.jpg

-Ryn

Banned
It's surveys. They're asking pretty critical questions, I can tell they're super serious about designing a "good" Halo this time...but damn...if they don't deliver...then all these detailed oriented questions are for nothing. In otherwords, this better not be a "for show" type deal, as in, lets pretend we care but we're gonna do what the hell we want, screw the data! Screw all the naysayers not wanting sprint, screw'em! Screw'em all to hell!!!
It's good to hear they're putting so much effort into asking those questions. Here's hoping we see the effort pay off in H5.

In regards to sprint though, if anything I see them using the feedback to see whether there's a desire for a toggle for sprint or not. Or whether they should nerf it more. One of the devs outright said it wasn't going anywhere a while back if I recall.

That's part of it, of course. But if you want the most flavor, you'll want the beans ground just before adding the water.
Sounds good. Thanks for the heads up.
I look forward to making some coffee lol

King Leo

Neo Member
I still don't think sprint will ever leave H5. The maps and half the spartan abilities are designed around it. The most they'll do is nerf it further.

Although it would be cool if they surprised us and showcased a match with no sprint at E3.

Chitown B

I still don't think sprint will ever leave H5. The maps and half the spartan abilities are designed around it. The most they'll do is nerf it further.

Although it would be cool if they surprised us and showcased a match with no sprint at E3.

they would have to create special "no sprint" maps. Otherwise some jumps would be impossible.

Computer

Before the beta I was very anti sprint. After the beat I really don't care if it stays or goes. I do think sprint needs to be a bit slower then it is now and base speed needs a boost. Also no one really talks about the jump height. Its at Reach beta levels. I found myself not being able to jump over the smallest ledges on the map without using thrust and sprint. Jump height needs a boost.

Top Bottom