• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

I got my second Halo feedback survey for Halo 5...

I lol at the question:

In Halo 5, I like to...sprint.

If majority of people who take this survey say, strongly disagree....and they end up keeping sprint in the game...then what's the point of even asking the question? Just to make sure?? LOL.

EDIT: Finished this second survey...interesting questions. I know we're asked not to disclose, but the way these questions are written is funny...it's obvious they're listening/reading community feedback because some of the very questions in the survey are things we discussed here.

One thing I don't like is that they never seem to ask about time to kill and starting weapons. Time to kill is crucial for Halo to be a successful game in my opinion. I'd like to see a return to Halo CE-style speed of time to kill.

Punish those who are weak, and allow the strong to achieve world domination!

How long to you think it will take to get the email? i haven't gotten mine yet but hopefully i will soon Id like to give my feed back. I will just keep checking my email lol

RBK

Banned
Jump height definitely needs some work.

Only reason why I don't think it's as big of deal since crouch jumping/gandhi hop wasn't in the beta.

willow ve

Like they give a shit about anything anyone has to say about "no sprint". The survey results they get could say 99% want no sprint, but they won't listen because that is not what 343 wants.
"No one wants sprint in Halo so how do we balance that?"

Make it essential by making all the maps much larger than they need to be. Then ignore community feedback.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
It's good to hear they're putting so much effort into asking those questions. Here's hoping we see the effort pay off in H5.

In regards to sprint though, if anything I see them using the feedback to see whether there's a desire for a toggle for sprint or not. Or whether they should nerf it more. One of the devs outright said it wasn't going anywhere a while back if I recall.

It should definitely be a toggle. I know that without sprint, with the current size of the maps, some jumps that you could make with sprint+thruster aren't do-able without sprint, but an increased movement speed would compensate for it.

How long to you think it will take to get the email? i haven't gotten mine yet but hopefully i will soon Id like to give my feed back. I will just keep checking my email lol

No idea man. This has been my second survey sent to me so far.

Fuchsdh

Do you guys prefer finding skulls or just having them unlocked off the bat?

I personally like finding them much more. Adds more replay value to the game and it's fun for co op. The multiplayer maps with skulls were also a fun little thing to do to get an achievement. I hope that kind of stuff happens again.

I played both before I jumped into Starcraft 2 actually lol

I had a buddy with a copy and he installed it on my laptop for me. We had a lot of LAN battles which were cool. Some really close calls went down like a time when he decimated me, and I had one engineer I didn't realize I had sitting right out of sight from one of his less developed bases.. He had patrols everywhere but I somehow managed to amass a huge army of anti air cannons and marines because of all the mineral I had. I still lost but it turned out he was completely out of resources and had only 1 ship left after the final battle. It felt pretty awesome.

Starcraft 2 is such a different beast though.

Whynotboth? I enjoy having collectibles to find and encouragement to try and figure out ways out of the maps or little nooks I might miss otherwise. But from the standpoint of gameplay, having them unlocked from the get-go gives players more flexibility.

Also, I really hope they continue the CEA/H2A trend of having nonscoring-type skulls that aren't just ratcheting up the difficulty. I'd love a "pacifist" skull that just prevents enemies from firing on you and/or spawning so you could just roam the levels in peace.

And dammit, we still need the "weapons replaced by mouth sounds" skull. It would be too good not to have in a game…

SaganIsGOAT

Thruster was the easier escape tool. Get pinged, thrust to cover and sprint. I had a bigger issue with that than anything due to the fact an enemy in the open has an instant burst to safety.

-Ryn

Banned
It should definitely be a toggle. I know that without sprint, with the current size of the maps, some jumps that you could make with sprint+thruster aren't do-able without sprint, but an increased movement speed would compensate for it.
Before the first gameplay vid of H5 I hoped they would go the route of making "Arena" a non sprint game mode. Sprint would be limited to larger game modes (where it has the most use). This way you'd be able to have the best of both worlds, and as a toggle, people could forge smaller maps with sprint in mind if they really want to.

So I really hope sprint can be toggled. I love sprinting but I think there should be as many options as possible.

Whynotboth? I enjoy having collectibles to find and encouragement to try and figure out ways out of the maps or little nooks I might miss otherwise. But from the standpoint of gameplay, having them unlocked from the get-go gives players more flexibility.

Also, I really hope they continue the CEA/H2A trend of having nonscoring-type skulls that aren't just ratcheting up the difficulty. I'd love a "pacifist" skull that just prevents enemies from firing on you and/or spawning so you could just roam the levels in peace.

And dammit, we still need the "weapons replaced by mouth sounds" skull. It would be too good not to have in a game…
I guess it depends on how you go about having both.

I suppose they could try having the original H3 skulls unlocked from the get go (except for stuff like IWHBYD or Birthday Party) and then make all the fun party skulls stuff you need to find. That's be pretty cool and give you incentive to find the rest.

This goes back to a debate I had a while back about the point of finding stuff in games. It irritated me that 343 made the terminals something you have to exit the game to view. You need to exit to another app to view it in the first place and at that point you might as well just watch it on YouTube. So it completely negates the point of having the terminals in the first place.

The fun in bonus stuff like this is the effort in finding it (or at the very least getting it). I mean if you want to go watch it on YouTube then whatevs, but that shouldn't be the default of the game.

Before the beta I was very anti sprint. After the beat I really don't care if it stays or goes. I do think sprint needs to be a bit slower then it is now and base speed needs a boost. Also no one really talks about the jump height. Its at Reach beta levels. I found myself not being able to jump over the smallest ledges on the map without using thrust and sprint. Jump height needs a boost.

Sprint was such a non issue in the beta, lol.

Sprint just feels unnecessary. I played MCC a little during the beta, and going back and forth it's very apparent in 5 they nerfed the bejeezus out of the base speed. If it were up to me, I'd ditch sprint and make the base speed higher while keeping thruster. Even though thruster can be annoying (and would be less annoying if people couldn't duck then sprint), I think overall it adds slightly more than it takes away.

Jumps were just dumb; God forbid you jump normally to get anywhere. They really wanted you to either clamber up everything or sprint around to a ramp.

Madness

Worst part of Halo 4 terminals is that they're not viewable in game, but more importantly, hidden like cog tags or collectibles and yet they contain information that would add to the story, help with confusion.

It's fine if they want to hide cool stuff or do easter eggs with areas that only explorers or skilled campaigners would seek out, but I think things like skulls and changes to game play or things like terminals should be unlocked from the get go. Maybe instead of having to hunt down terminals, just unlock one after you beat the level. Just me though. We all have our thoughts on what makes game play fun.

jem0208

I agree, I never felt like someone unfairly managed to escape from me.

Jumps were just dumb; God forbid you jump normally to get anywhere. They really wanted you to either clamber up everything or sprint around to a ramp.
This is a problem I had though, the map design with regard to jumps seemed to be all about showing off the new features. I really like clamber, however the maps need to have some jumps which don't require it.

Welfare

Rtd0qf0.gif

Ramirez

Nevermind...

I saw the edit. I know it effects the map design, but it's not going anywhere, give it up, all of you, lol.

I felt the maps were all designed pretty well around the gameplay systems they've introduced. Nothing is perfect, but some of you seriously need to get out of the past and realize it's never going to be that way again.

Overdoziz

Banned
Bit late on this probably, but here's some random notes about Halo 5 and also what I'd like to see changed:

Ranks
-Don't show ranks of people outside your party until after the game is finished.
-Have rank icons specifically for the three steps of each rank (e.g. gold 1, 2 and 3)
-Show how many points you've increased or decreased at semi-pro and pro rank.
-Your own team shouldn't get matched with a bronze simply because the other team is a premade which included a bronze. Matching should be based off the highest rank in a premade.

Quitting
-If you quit you can't go back into matchmaking until the match you quit out of is over.
-You can rejoin the match you've quit out of unless the match has nearly come to an end.
-Teamkilling and quitting should get you increasingly severe penalties (up to a week of getting locked out of a playlist).
-If a player quits before a match begins the game should not start.

---

Scoreboard
-Should show pingnumber and bar.
-Should be able to move while looking at it.
-Should show a difference between people being dead and people who quit out.

ADS
-Needs to be snappier.
-Should be able to get out of it by sprinting.
-Having ADS on left trigger shouldn't allow you to automatically zoom back in by holding it down.

Chatter
-Lose the pointless fluff like "nice shot" and "thanks for assist".
-Countdown to power weapons isn't accurate.

---

Hover
-Should be able to get out of hovering by pressing the jump button.

Charge
-Should be able to turn it off in the options.

Thruster
-Should be able to switch weapons while using it.

Sprint
-Should pause the shield recharge timer instead of resetting it.

Ground pound
-On the Bumper Jumper button layout crouching mid-air shouldn't activate it. Maybe something like holding down the melee button mid-air would be a better option.

Slide
-Scrap it.

---

Sniper Rifle
-Should be less easy to make headshots.
-Should spawn with a maximum of eight bullets.
-Bullet trail should be a lot more clear.
-Audio when fired should stand out more.

Pistol
-Needs a buff.
-Different scope.

Grenades
-Smaller blast radius.
-No ability to shoot them out of the air.
-Shouldn't launch players across the map.
-No hitmarkers.
-Spawn with only one.

Prophet's Bane
-Less blinding.
-Half the ammo.

Hydra
-Should lock on even when not scoped in.
-Hail

SMG
-Lose the headshot bonus.

Assault Rifle
-Lose the headshot bonus.

---

Pegasus
-Red base has too much of an advantage off spawn.
-Upper part of the map (the power position) can too easily dominate the power weapon locations.
-Upper part of the map shouldn't have a light rifle, suggest moving it to the bottom.
-Bottom of the map could use an overshield power-up to help the team there regain control of upper part .
-Get rid of fog.

Truth
-Make the shields on the middle platform blue and make it so they become more red as they get more damaged.
-No blur when you go up gravity lifts in bases, you're already at a disadvantage using them.
-No visual clarity, especially inside bases with all the lights and shiny things it's very hard to see people.
-Framerate issues.

Regret
-Better distinction between both sides of the map (maybe one side overgrown, other clean).
-Tunnel underneath arch needs a gravity lift up to arch.
-Corners underneath both shortcuts in both bases are very dark and easy to hide in.
-Intro video showing the capture locations for Strongholds is missing.
-Framerate issues.

Eden
-Get rid of the thin walls on the catwalks.
-Needs to be brighter.
-Blue character model blends in too well.

Empire
-Framerate issues on Strongholds.

MAKE IT BR+AR STARTS

SaganIsGOAT

Lets look at this scientifically and shit.

In Halo games prior to Reach you had an escape chance of EC (escape chance) = S (max movement speed) x M (basic mobility options)

For our equation we will set aside factors like equipment the player maybe had on them at the time and engagement distance. Lets just focus on a player simply attempting to bail out.

So in Halo 1-3

EC=1(max movement speed) x 3 (walk, crouch and jump)
EC=3

In Halo 5 (not sure how much faster sprint is than the base movement speed, but lets say it is 1.5x as fast

EC=1.5 (sprint speed) x 5 (walk, sprint, thrust, jump, clamber)

EC=7.5

So in Halo 5 a player has a 150% greater chance to escape.

This is bad.

Can't argue with the science.

jem0208

In Halo games prior to Reach you had an escape chance of EC (escape chance) = S (max movement speed) x M (basic mobility options)

For our equation we will set aside factors like equipment the player maybe had on them at the time and engagement distance. Lets just focus on a player simply attempting to bail out.

So in Halo 1-3

EC=3

In Halo 5 (not sure how much faster sprint is than the base movement speed, but lets say it is 1.5x as fast

EC=7.5

This is bad.

I think you mean mathematically.

Welfare

One thing 343 needs to do before I say another positive about Halo 5.

When I'm checking the scoreboard mid-game, let me move!

Look at this bullshit. Go to 0:15.

Why can't I fucking move while checking the scoreboard?

Computer

One thing 343 needs to do before I say another positive about Halo 5.

When I'm checking the scoreboard mid-game, let me move!

Look at this bullshit. Go to 0:15.

Why can't I fucking move while checking the scoreboard?

Ya and the score board taking up the entire screen is another issue. Put it in the right corner or something.

Ramirez

So in Halo 1-3

EC=3

EC=7.5

This is bad.

Albert Einstein, one of the greatest minds to ever live, was once perplexed by the speed at which Arteezy was able to farm. Seemingly impossible GPMs of 800+ every game were consistently observed, leading to the hypothesis that this was no fluke. Einstein spent the last years of his life trying to prove the ability of Arteezy's farm existed within the laws of science. Critics laughed at his efforts, claiming that Arteezy's farm was an undeniable act of divine intervention. It wasn't until the end when Einstein found the answer. On his deathbed, Einstein spent the last seconds of his life jotting down what is now the world's most infamous scientific formula. r=tz²

So in Halo 1-3

EC=3

EC=7.5

This is bad.

Obviously a disciple of the Stinkles School of Qualitative Numberology, but a valid point anyway.

-Ryn

Banned
Worst part of Halo 4 terminals is that they're not viewable in game, but more importantly, hidden like cog tags or collectibles and yet they contain information that would add to the story, help with confusion.

It's fine if they want to hide cool stuff or do easter eggs with areas that only explorers or skilled campaigners would seek out, but I think things like skulls and changes to game play or things like terminals should be unlocked from the get go. Maybe instead of having to hunt down terminals, just unlock one after you beat the level. Just me though. We all have our thoughts on what makes game play fun.
I actually think stuff that adds to gameplay is what should be hidden. It adds some extra fun to the replays imo. Though I can understand wanting to just be able to do it from the get go. Maybe its just my love of treasure hunting in older games.

Another problem with Halo 4's terminals was that the material in them was critical to understanding what the hell was happening. You don't hide key story elements from the main game. Use things that elude to a greater reveal or provide interesting sub plots to the over arching plot. Stuff like the Halo 3 terminals for instance; those were really cool bits of info that shed light on the bigger picture and had a mystery about them. You didn't need them to understand what the flipping elephants was going on though.

If 343 wants to have an expanded universe that ties in with the games that's great, but they need to understand how to weave important exposition into the games narrative.

CliQ

Obviously a disciple of the Stinkles School of Qualitative Numberology, but a valid point anyway.

I get the point but the person trying to kill the guy "esacaping" has sprint as well. Sure he can run to teammates they try to save him but doesn't that just fall back on good teamwork again?

CliQ

Hey Prinz just wanted to apologize for booting you the other night. I was getting annoyed at the whole I like boys thing and I am in the middle of quitting smoking so yeah I was getting annoyed. Hope you can make the throwdown this weekend. 😄

I get the point but the person trying to kill the guy "esacaping" has sprint as well. Sure he can run to teammates they try to save him but doesn't that just fall back on good teamwork again?
I mean, sometimes, but overall I think it's more irritating since more encounters end in draws rather than a clear winner and loser.

Hey Prinz just wanted to apologize for booting you the other night. I was getting annoyed at the whole I like boys thing and I am in the middle of quitting smoking so yeah I was getting annoyed. Hope you can make the throwdown this weekend. ��

Oh don't worry about it. Sorry, I wish I knew who it was, but I would have tried to boot whoever it was if I was lead, too. MCC just doesn't want you to know who's talking, so I can't really blame you...
It was someone on my team that second game (but not Fuchsdh since we were talking about it).

Sprint sucks.
The maps are the right size for a base speed increase, let's not forget that if sprintt is to go then we have to walk faster.
Motion tracker sucks.
But above all, those who think there is no hope suck.

And congrats on improving your LIFE CliQ by quitting that cancer.

Ramirez

Sprint sucks.
The maps are the right size for a base speed increase, let's not forget that if sprintt is to go then we have to walk faster.
Motion tracker sucks.
But above all, those who think there is no hope suck.

And congrats on improving your LIFE CliQ by quitting that cancer.

Because there isn't, simply a vocal minority thinking that their opinion actually has some sway in the games development. Let's be real.

Welfare

Oh don't worry about it. Sorry, I wish I knew who it was, but I would have tried to boot whoever it was if I was lead, too. MCC just doesn't want you to know who's talking, so I can't really blame you...
It was someone on my team that second game (but not Fuchsdh since we were talking about it).

Wasn't me. I complained about it as well.

Good list, Overdoziz, I agree with a majority of it. Speaking of wanting to switch weapons during a thrust, has it been mentioned/did anyone notice switching weapons followed by trying to pick up a weapon feels slower/jankier than it has in previous Halos? Hope that's fixed.

I played some Halo 4 yesterday, felt pretty good actually. It looks way cleaner than Halo 5 beta, so I'm understanding more where the visual complaints are coming from.

jem0208

The jankiest thing I noticed in the beta control wise was not being able to sprint out of scope. That annoyed the hell out of me.

Because there isn't, simply a vocal minority thinking that their opinion actually has some sway in the games development. Let's be real.
Alright, want to be "real?" A lot of the changes that people have loved have been the same changes proposed by the very "vocal minority" since Halo 2. Sometimes the vocal minority knows what's best for the silent majority, don't you agree? Just because we are the vocal minority doesn't mean there is no hope, especially when it won't have any significant impact on sales because what number realistically won't buy Halo 5 if it has faster movement speed over sprint? If you can't quantify that, then your arguments and posts about not use arguing against sprint seem silly imo.

And to get even more real.. #boobs

EDIT:
I played some Halo 4 yesterday, felt pretty good actually. It looks way cleaner than Halo 5 beta, so I'm understanding more where the visual complaints are coming from.
Uh oh.. it's happening. Will we like Halo 4 more than Halo 5?
The jankiest thing I noticed in the beta control wise was not being able to sprint out of scope. That annoyed the hell out of me.
I hated this.

Overdoziz

Banned
Good list, Overdoziz, I agree with a majority of it. Speaking of wanting to switch weapons during a thrust, has it been mentioned/did anyone notice switching weapons followed by trying to pick up a weapon feels slower/jankier than it has in previous Halos? Hope that's fixed.

Picking up and switching weapons while sprinting/clambering/thrusting/whatever could definitely be a bit smoother than it was in the beta. There were several moments where I quickly wanted to clamber on top of the DMR spawn in the bases on Empire or Truth and switch out my secondary for the DMR, but couldn't do it straight away because of the clamber.

Glass

Another problem with Halo 4's terminals was that the material in them was critical to understanding what the hell was happening. You don't hide key story elements from the main game. Use things that elude to a greater reveal or provide interesting sub plots to the over arching plot. Stuff like the Halo 3 terminals for instance; those were really cool bits of info that shed light on the bigger picture and had a mystery about them. You didn't need them to understand what the flipping elephants was going on though.

If 343 wants to have an expanded universe that ties in with the games that's great, but they need to understand how to weave important exposition into the games narrative.

Yep. First played through 4 in 4 player co-op. We weren't about to spend our first play through of the game looking for terminals, but we were watching all the cutscenes with baited breath. Until it all stopped making sense.

My friends enthusiasm started to wane, as you get to that point where a story has lost its grip on you. I'd played through 1-3 numerous times which should have been more then enough to understand what the shit was going on, but it wasn't, and I remember getting pretty angry at that fact. Hyped for the potential Halo 5's campaign has though.

One of my pet peeves in any Halo is that I get used to reloading or sprinting to get out of scope sometimes, but these aren't reliable as you can't always reload and you can't always sprint. I wish that despite that, it'd still descope. It's a weird particular thing and there's certainly an argument against it, but words words words.

Top Bottom