• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

marvels-the-fantastic-four.jpg

halo-3-teaser-l.jpg

Quoting myself from the Fantastic 4 thread.

Madness

Nothing can surprise me anymore...

And have a 2 colored Single Player and MP? All they can do, is grey and brown anyways.

Sorry, but all the maps CA have done are straight up terrible. Even the H2A maps are the worst I've seen, because of the ugly color filters and the lack of popping colors.

It's probably 343 making the decisions on art style and aesthetic. I think Adrift and Haven were two maps 343 did, look at the color palette used. Adrift is orange and brown and cloudy while Haven is a beige/gray map.

Looking at Halo 5, where CA hasn't done anything, one look at Eden, Truth, Orion should tell you this is something they definitely need to work on. Weird lighting filters, tints, just several shades of the same color in maps, too dark, cloudy.

Wouldn't I be able to sue the crap out of 343i if that happens? Pretty sure my insurance would cover that, as well. :p

Joking aside, "nothing" is obviously an exeggeration.
Oh yeah, I was just having a similar thought earlier ("nothing would surprise me"), and then remembered that I thought the MCC would basically be a slam-dunk and there's no way they would fuck it up.

Similarly, I'd like to think it can't get worse from here, but things can always get worse.

RBK

Banned
For those who may have not taken the survey yet.

Please include your wishes for a Turf remake in H5.

Thanks.

So bummed MCC isn't working that I bought... sniff... Titanfall.
It was $12.50 with the season pass though, so whatever.
Is it November yet? I want that Halo 5 goodness.

Nothing can surprise me anymore...

And have a 2 colored Single Player and MP? All they can do, is grey and brown anyways.

Sorry, but all the maps CA have done are straight up terrible. Even the H2A maps are the worst I've seen, because of the ugly color filters and the lack of popping colors.

Yeah, Bloodline is one butt-ugly map. And the literal scrubbyness (is that a word?) makes it so hard to navigate. I'm serious. I have been temporarily turned around after spawning on Blood Gultch, Coag and Hemorrage. But to struggle to find my bearings on the fourth iteration of a legendary map? One I practically lived on in Halo 2 and Reach?

Anyone else experience this?

(I like all the maps they did for Halo Reach and the other H2A remakes.)

I disagree, but hey, opinions.

I actually quite like Titanfall as a time waster. The lack of a real campaign and a dwindling player base are the only things keeping it from being great.
Sounds just like Halo 4. Jks. But yeah I had more fun playing Titanfall on the 360 then the H5 beta. I was able to pick up Titanfall on the Xbone last month with all the dlc for 17 bucks. Maybe I should have waited till the price it's at now. Fack.

Chitown B

And whats to stop a team of 4 having a 5th person spectate and give call-outs to that team in party chat? Thats why the delay is there.

because that's crazy. If people are that obsessed then screw them. And Twitch is pretty instant and people broadcast that. Plus the game moves so fast as it is that call outs are almost pointless anymore. Sprint + thruster + clamber make calling out moot much of the time, at least in a precise manor.

It's not even just a delay - the spectate mode starts at the beginning and you have to fast forward forever just to get close to current. The fun of spectating is if you just jumped on and a friend is playing - you can check their game and comment in chat. If you are a minute late, then it's just pointless.

They could make it so you can only spectate people who are on your friends list.

VinFTW

because that's crazy. If people are that obsessed then screw them. And Twitch is pretty instant and people broadcast that. Plus the game moves so fast as it is that call outs are almost pointless anymore. Sprint + thruster + clamber make calling out moot much of the time, at least in a precise manor.

It's not even just a delay - the spectate mode starts at the beginning and you have to fast forward forever just to get close to current. The fun of spectating is if you just jumped on and a friend is playing - you can check their game and comment in chat. If you are a minute late, then it's just pointless.

They could make it so you can only spectate people who are on your friends list.

uhhh

Twitch has the same delay, ~30 seconds.

Are you even trying?

VinFTW

does Twitch start me at the beginning of a person's game session every time I start watching them?

You're trying to justify spectator being sycned w/ live video, I'm explaining to you that Twitch is not a good example as it can not also be used to screw people over (it's 30 seconds behind).

Chitown B

You're trying to justify spectator being sycned w/ live video, I'm explaining to you that Twitch is not a good example as it can not also be used to screw people over (it's 30 seconds behind).

I stand corrected on that.

However, I do think that it's a non-starter for me if I can't watch a friend play live.

-Ryn

Banned
Yeah, Bloodline is one butt-ugly map. And the literal scrubbyness (is that a word?) makes it so hard to navigate. I'm serious. I have been temporarily turned around after spawning on Blood Gultch, Coag and Hemorrage. But to struggle to find my bearings on the fourth iteration of a legendary map? One I practically lived on in Halo 2 and Reach?

Anyone else experience this?

(I like all the maps they did for Halo Reach and the other H2A remakes.)
Bloodline was the most disappointing aesthetically to me. Especially after the concept art. It's just... meh.

I have played it yet but I don't doubt you can get turned around easily.

<
CE

How can Twitch be real if our eyes aren't real?
The universe is a hologram made of dreams
and #butts

RowdyReverb

I hope they send the survey out again to select beta participants for the CU. It doesn't seem right that I shouldn't be able to participate because I wasn't available between 6 and 9pm last Friday.
I can't really say why I want to participate though. I guess I just really want MCC to get fixed, if only for the sake of posterity at this point, and I feel that being a guinea pig helps in some small way.

i think it's a bad movie but would have made a great episode of the series. It has some good ideas and an interesting concept.
I like Sybok, but his sidekick was fucking creepy. The Nimbus stuff was a cool idea but felt executed poorly. It also had the GOAT Jerry Goldsmith score and that's say least 40% of the reason i like it so much. Campfire scenes were also GOAT.

Marshmelons >>>>

Booshka

They should just do a product recall for MCC, open up the Halo 5 Beta for another few months until ODST is ready, then re-release a functioning MCC for free to previous owners and for sale to everyone else.

RBK

Banned
One of the few times you get The Pit in the H3 playlist, the game just crashes back to the main menu after voting.

Sigh.

-Ryn

Banned
They should just do a product recall for MCC, open up the Halo 5 Beta for another few months until ODST is ready, then re-release a functioning MCC for free to previous owners and for sale to everyone else.
Remember the Nintendo Seal of Quality?
It'd be nice if that kind of stuff was around still.

Microsoft Seal of Approval
"We promise it won't brick your Xbox"

This fucking game...

Decided to play my first H2A in awhile. Other team had a 50, like a legit 50, had 21k kills. How you can have that much in this broken game is beyond me. Anyways that wasn't the problem, it was the teams.

50, 3, 15, 18, 9 vs. 1, 1, 15, 7, 23(me)

How thought this would be a good idea? It was 50-9.

OMG this game is unreal, I had to edit for this. Next match everything is going fine, up 18-6 and the game just randomly ends, like seriously 343 fix this. This game is beyond a joke.

willow ve

This fucking game...

Decided to play my first H2A in awhile. Other team had a 50, like a legit 50, had 21k kills. How you can have that much in this broken game is beyond me. Anyways that wasn't the problem, it was the teams.

50, 3, 15, 18, 9 vs. 1, 1, 15, 7, 23(me)

How thought this would be a good idea? It was 50-9.

OMG this game is unreal, I had to edit for this. Next match everything is going fine, up 18-6 and the game just randomly ends, like seriously 343 fix this. This game is beyond a joke.

"Exactly like you remember it"

We tried the Halo 4 and team slayer playlists in a party of 4 tonight. No luck, not one player found. Customs were the only thing happening.

I also had to hard restart my xbox to join the game lobby.

The slow motion coop of playing Halo 3 legendary playlist wore very thin indeed. Dedis can't come to coop and multi soon enough.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Wait, people think we won't be getting a sprint toggle in CUSTOM games? You can change your jump height to 200% and make the game only count headshots - disabling sprint would be nothing. Halo 4 failed to include this option and the shitstorm raged for months. Crucially, in one of Frankie's more revealing posts in the post-Halo 4 period, he said the biggest thing they learned from that game was to give players more options as to how they wanted to play the game. I'd be surprised if the custom game suite in H5 wasnt hugely expanded, and that includes the ability to disable sprint.

I don't think we wouldn't get a toggle, but to be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if we didn't get a toggle for sprint. That being said, I do think there will be one, but the big question is...what will become the default mode of play?

One of the things that I think has plagued Halo for so long in regards to competitive online multiplayer is the default settings. Since Halo 2, competitive players have had to seek out out-side sources such as MLG to come up with a competitive standard rule set. This means starting weapons, weapons on map, player damage, all that stuff.

Halo has never been out of the box competitive (except for Halo CE), and that is one of the sole reasons we have this constant split in the overall community. Day one of Halo 5 will determine what the masses enjoy. If the game is AR/pistols, then this is going to hurt Halo 5, and automatically split the community, right off the bat.

Same thing will apply for sprint. I think regardless of the starting weapons discussion, sprint will already split the community as well.

One thing I hope for in Halo 5 is that we have out of the box competitive player vs player. I'm so tired of having to either wait for a specific playlist to fit my competitive wants, and this usually takes months, and ends up being only one playlist, which means all the other playlists in Halo become boring as snails due to the fact that they cater to one audience, which is casuals. StarCraft II doesn't do this. Nor does Street Fighter. When you boot up those games and play a multiplayer match, you're playing the same damn settings that the grand master pros are playing, plus or minus the maps.

On launch week of Halo 5, I want to see default Slayer both team and free for all have the same rules, same starting weapons, etc. In my opinion, it should be AR/BR starts across the board on all default game modes. This caters to both those who enjoy full-auto weapons and those who want a precision-based utility weapon to spawn with. During my time with the Halo 5 beta, that starting set provided the most fun and the most balance in my opinion. The game became less about trying to scavenge for a better weapon as soon as you spawn, and more about fragging the opposition and seeking out situational weapons such as DMR, SMG, or power weapons.

When it's AR/Pistol, the game becomes no different than Halo 2 SMG starts and Halo 3 AR starts. It's a race for one team to control the rifles or precision-based weapons and continually spawn kill the opposition until they get a lucky spawn to pick up a rifle and have a fair fight. This isn't fun for casuals nor the veteran players. Anyone who actually calls that fun is outright lying to themselves and won't admit that the bottom line is they actually suck at Halo and NEED that type of gameplay in order to feel good about themselves and fabricate their skill.

I don't doubt 343 will give a robust set of custom game options, but again, I'll repeat myself, I don't want to have to seek out custom games to enjoy competitive pvp of Halo 5.

If I have to go create a custom game to get competitive pvp enjoyment that's balanced, fair, competitive, skill-demanding, challenging, etc...then Halo 5 isn't doing its job correctly.

On top of this, the whole voting for maps thing in Slayer at least, should be solely on voting for a map...not weapon sets. Leave various weapon sets to separate playlists, for example, team rockets, team snipers, shotty/snipers, phantom swords, etc...all of that should NEVER be in the default team slayer playlist.

Halo 5's team slayer playlist and its rumble slayer playlist should be one single starting set of weapons across all the maps, period. If anyone disagrees with that statement, I'd love to hear your reasoning behind why it shouldn't be that way.

RdN

Wasn't MCC multiplayer built around Azure dedis? And that doesn't work.
Wasn't H5 Beta multiplayer built around Azure dedis? And that didn't work (for me).

Yep.. That's my experience too.

And I have to say, I'd be shocked if Halo 5 coop runs on dedicated servers.

What issues were you having with the beta? It worked really well for me.

Matchmaking was simply incapable of selecting the correct data center.

Which meant that players from around the world would constantly play games on North American servers with a 200+ms ping against players with a 20ms ping.

That resulted not only made it impossible to be competitive, it made the game not fun.

This is the reason why so many have been pushing for the option to select and lock the data center (just like Titanfall does). But it's 343i we're talking about here. There's almost zero faith that they'll do the right thing.

Wasn't MCC multiplayer built around Azure dedis? And that doesn't work.
Wasn't H5 Beta multiplayer built around Azure dedis? And that didn't work (for me).

I honestly have no idea at this point.

Multiplayer was marketed with dedis so one can only take the developers word here. The end result to date is more P2P fallback than dedis IMO.

As for coop a straight up "the netcode and engine was not recoded for Azure".

Right now I'd guess the unified UI and matchmaking run Azure but the in game netcode is still P2P based. If it's using dedis then the player and region matching isn't functioning and may as we'll be P2P anyhow.

It would be great for a forum post, tech article, bulletin or sprint to delve into specifics to clarify.

Top Bottom