• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Madness

I swear I read somewhere MCC would have been or is one of the first to use dedicated servers located in Australia for Aussie players. Maybe once the game actually runs and worms perfectly, you'd see a massive difference for the players there?

EDIT:
Xbox Australia have today announced that Xbox One gamers will now experience enhanced multiplayer gaming experiences with the launch of local Xbox Live servers. This will bring gamers low pings and closed local hosting to players around the country. This was the most sought after feature requested by Australian gamers over the past year. No update is required to access the servers. They will be currently compatible with Forza 5, Forza Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive & Halo: The Master Chief Collection.

Or is this not necessarily the same thing? There is one guy in gaming side who non stop keeps talking about how titanfall is the bees knees for allowing you to choose datacenter location, how Halo 5 needs to have it etc.

I swear I read somewhere MCC would have been or is one of the first to use dedicated servers located in Australia for Aussie players. Maybe once the game actually runs and worms perfectly, you'd see a massive difference for the players there?

Yep Xbox Australia made a press release that both Azure data centres were now supported for a number if games, including MCC.

In my experience it's not the case. Just throwing a grenade is a simple latency test I'm so tuned to observing.

In Titanfall I can get 22ms ping to Aussie Azure. No way less than say 3% of my games have grenades reacting anything like that latency.

I can only assume it's P2P again or international data centres being selected as the host server for the games I matched to play. Again another data point that should be in game display and under player control too.

I completely agree with GS guy that the titanfall datacenter player choice should be present. Add in a ANY option on by default so standard global matchmakimg searches occur but let us toggle and choose a regional DC when we want.

dwells

What issues were you having with the beta? It worked really well for me.
Lots of times where I had difficulty finding games. Partially full lobbies, lobbies one person shy, random disconnects back to the main menu which for some reason needed thirty seconds to load, etc. Seemed to get worse with parties, too - had one night where we spent more time searching that we did playing, and both of us had open NATs. Not that NAT should even matter with a dedicated server anyway.

Seemed to get better toward the end of the beta, though.

I don't think we wouldn't get a toggle, but to be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if we didn't get a toggle for sprint. That being said, I do think there will be one, but the big question is...what will become the default mode of play?

One of the things that I think has plagued Halo for so long in regards to competitive online multiplayer is the default settings. Since Halo 2, competitive players have had to seek out out-side sources such as MLG to come up with a competitive standard rule set. This means starting weapons, weapons on map, player damage, all that stuff.

Halo has never been out of the box competitive (except for Halo CE), and that is one of the sole reasons we have this constant split in the overall community. Day one of Halo 5 will determine what the masses enjoy. If the game is AR/pistols, then this is going to hurt Halo 5, and automatically split the community, right off the bat.

Same thing will apply for sprint. I think regardless of the starting weapons discussion, sprint will already split the community as well.

One thing I hope for in Halo 5 is that we have out of the box competitive player vs player. I'm so tired of having to either wait for a specific playlist to fit my competitive wants, and this usually takes months, and ends up being only one playlist, which means all the other playlists in Halo become boring as snails due to the fact that they cater to one audience, which is casuals. StarCraft II doesn't do this. Nor does Street Fighter. When you boot up those games and play a multiplayer match, you're playing the same damn settings that the grand master pros are playing, plus or minus the maps.

On launch week of Halo 5, I want to see default Slayer both team and free for all have the same rules, same starting weapons, etc. In my opinion, it should be AR/BR starts across the board on all default game modes. This caters to both those who enjoy full-auto weapons and those who want a precision-based utility weapon to spawn with. During my time with the Halo 5 beta, that starting set provided the most fun and the most balance in my opinion. The game became less about trying to scavenge for a better weapon as soon as you spawn, and more about fragging the opposition and seeking out situational weapons such as DMR, SMG, or power weapons.

When it's AR/Pistol, the game becomes no different than Halo 2 SMG starts and Halo 3 AR starts. It's a race for one team to control the rifles or precision-based weapons and continually spawn kill the opposition until they get a lucky spawn to pick up a rifle and have a fair fight. This isn't fun for casuals nor the veteran players. Anyone who actually calls that fun is outright lying to themselves and won't admit that the bottom line is they actually suck at Halo and NEED that type of gameplay in order to feel good about themselves and fabricate their skill.

I don't doubt 343 will give a robust set of custom game options, but again, I'll repeat myself, I don't want to have to seek out custom games to enjoy competitive pvp of Halo 5.

If I have to go create a custom game to get competitive pvp enjoyment that's balanced, fair, competitive, skill-demanding, challenging, etc...then Halo 5 isn't doing its job correctly.

On top of this, the whole voting for maps thing in Slayer at least, should be solely on voting for a map...not weapon sets. Leave various weapon sets to separate playlists, for example, team rockets, team snipers, shotty/snipers, phantom swords, etc...all of that should NEVER be in the default team slayer playlist.

Halo 5's team slayer playlist and its rumble slayer playlist should be one single starting set of weapons across all the maps, period. If anyone disagrees with that statement, I'd love to hear your reasoning behind why it shouldn't be that way.

If it's going to be competitive out of the box, motion tracker needs to be overhauled. Team Slayer and MLG playlist in H3 are night and day at higher levels. Motion tracker is anathema to competitive play.

MaxRealflugel

Neo Member
Ladies and gents, boys and girls of all ages…

I’ve embarked upon a project of colossal significance, though I doubt it will see the light of day as a published product, but hopefully it’ll inform and inspire those in the industry.

I’m writing a screenplay for a Halo movie. Yep, that’s what I’m doing, unofficially, of course.

Now, before I go on, I must stress that this isn’t some fan-boy attempt at creating a steaming pile of manure for my own gratification, filled with cliché’s, stereotypes and tropes of galactic proportions. It’s a very serious attempt, so I’d like some input.

I’ve already started it, and I have a plot planned for the script. It’ll feature elements from The Fall of Reach but it won’t be a carbon copy. I want to produce something fresh and new, but for it to still be Halo in every way.

I know there have been previous attempts at writing a Halo movie and none of them have turned into a finished product. I think this is because those screenplays have been approaching the Halo universe, characters and fiction from the wrong angle. So I’m doing it differently. Once I’m done, I’ll release it on here via a PDF document, free for all to see and read.

So…

What elements, and I’m being serious here, would you like to see in a Halo movie?

Additionally, is this question in the right place, or should it be in a separate, bespoke thread?

dwells

So…

What elements, and I’m being serious here, would you like to see in a Halo movie?
Honestly? A huge budget.

It's really necessary to properly represent the series. As Nightfall has shown, low budget and production values are apparent and have a drastic negative impact. Not that they were the only reason Nightfall was terrible, but certainly contributing factors.

The Fall of Reach book could definitely be adapted into a screenplay, and I think there's a lot of substance there which could make it a good sci-fi movie in its own right. But unless you've got hundreds of millions of dollars to throw around on top-tier actors, intricate sets, lots and lots of special effects and CGI visual effects, etc. Otherwise it's difficult to even create something that can be taken seriously, let alone something which truly pays homage to the source material.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
If it's going to be competitive out of the box, motion tracker needs to be overhauled. Team Slayer and MLG playlist in H3 are night and day at higher levels. Motion tracker is anathema to competitive play.

Yeah, I agree, but I think the motion tracker is there literally for people not communicating, but to me since there's the auto-call outs...motion tracker is pointless to have, just another crutch.

SaganIsGOAT

I’ve embarked upon a project of colossal significance, though I doubt it will see the light of day as a published product, but hopefully it’ll inform and inspire those in the industry.

I’m writing a screenplay for a Halo movie. Yep, that’s what I’m doing, unofficially, of course.

Now, before I go on, I must stress that this isn’t some fan-boy attempt at creating a steaming pile of manure for my own gratification, filled with cliché’s, stereotypes and tropes of galactic proportions. It’s a very serious attempt, so I’d like some input.

I’ve already started it, and I have a plot planned for the script. It’ll feature elements from The Fall of Reach but it won’t be a carbon copy. I want to produce something fresh and new, but for it to still be Halo in every way.

I know there have been previous attempts at writing a Halo movie and none of them have turned into a finished product. I think this is because those screenplays have been approaching the Halo universe, characters and fiction from the wrong angle. So I’m doing it differently. Once I’m done, I’ll release it on here via a PDF document, free for all to see and read.

So…

Additionally, is this question in the right place, or should it be in a separate, bespoke thread?

Channel this
http://youtu.be/SyOAdrxlPVs

Profit.

Fuchsdh

So…

Have you read AJ's piece on the original script? While there are certainly some big issues with their screenplay I think it hits the right notes if you were going to attempt a Halo adaptation. http://blog.ascendantjustice.com/a-film-called-halo/

dwells

So has there been any kind of update on the beta for MCC?

The only update was essentially to say that there is no news:

343 Industries said:
1.27 2:00PM Update

Work on the upcoming Halo: The Master Chief Collection content update continues, and we will provide further updates on availability directly to selected Xbox One Preview program participants via the Preview Dashboard announcements page.

As we mentioned last week, the upcoming content update will include changes to the matchmaking experience and party system. In addition to these changes, we continue to work on additional game-specific updates and more that will be made available in future content updates. Please stay tuned to this thread for the latest information.

Madness

Hopefully it's before this weekend. Dont know why they'd announce it just to have it delayed by a week or two. Let's hope they're right in that this will be a much more transformative update than the previous ones.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

So…

Copious amounts of people sprinting everywhere.

btags

When it's AR/Pistol, the game becomes no different than Halo 2 SMG starts and Halo 3 AR starts. It's a race for one team to control the rifles or precision-based weapons and continually spawn kill the opposition until they get a lucky spawn to pick up a rifle and have a fair fight. This isn't fun for casuals nor the veteran players. Anyone who actually calls that fun is outright lying to themselves and won't admit that the bottom line is they actually suck at Halo and NEED that type of gameplay in order to feel good about themselves and fabricate their skill.

Not really. I am not amazing at halo or anything but I am pretty decent (usually went 1.5-2.0 kdr with BR starts in the beta as a gold tier rank) and I liked AR/pistol starts way more than BR starts.

jem0208

Hah, I see we're going with the "you disagree with me therefore you suck" arguement. A classic.

Not really. I am not amazing at halo or anything but I am pretty decent (usually went 1.5-2.0 kdr with BR starts in the beta as a gold tier rank) and I liked AR/pistol starts way more than BR starts.

For me it depends on the map. Some are great for BR starts, others not so much.

Haruko

What maps did you prefer to have BR starts with in the beta?

Orion and Pegasus for sure. Multiple power weapons and fewer rifles on map than Truth/Empire/etc. I'd also add Regret just because the rifles seem few
but maybe they are just stupidly hard to see on the floors of that map

VinFTW

If it's anything other than br starts the game will lose its competitive audience, plain and simple. Fast track to the xbl graveyard

Impala26

For me it depends on the map. Some are great for BR starts, others not so much.

One of the more succinct and accurate statements I've seen on this board in awhile.

Pegasus and especially Orion and Eden were PAINFUL with AR starts, but Empire and Regret played BETTER with them. Truth was a toss-up.

dwells

Hah, I see we're going with the "you disagree with me therefore you suck" arguement. A classic.
To be fair, I can't think of a single highly skilled player who prefers SMG/AR starts. Higher skilled players tend to understand the competitive sandbox better due to their experience, and as a result come to the conclusion that SMG/AR starts are detrimental.

btags

One of the more succinct and accurate statements I've seen on this board in awhile.

Pegasus and especially Orion and Eden were PAINFUL with AR starts, but Empire and Regret played BETTER with them. Truth was a toss-up.

I understand preferring BR starts for those maps. Do you think that they could be done with AR starts if more DMRs, BRs, and/or light rifles were added? Or would you just prefer that the maps remain the way they are and have BR starts?

TTUVAPOR

Banned

It's a valid argument in this case.

Lets hear the arguments for why SMG starts in Halo 2 are better than BR starts.

Lets hear the arguments for why AR starts in Halo 3 are better than BR starts.

Lets hear the arguments for why AR/Pistol starts are better than AR/BR starts in Halo 5.

Comon, lets hear them.

Any logical person would agree that having a game of Halo where one team has rifles and the freshly respawning players are spawning with non-precision based weapons is completely FUBAR.

Where is the fun in that type of game?

Only reason why someone would like that is because they either suck and enjoy getting easy kills, or they're so good that they enjoy noob-stomping.

Either way, an AR/Pistol start is freaking horrid for Halo 5. It just makes the game feel like Halo 2 SMG starts and Halo 3 AR starts. But that's my two cents.

King Leo

Neo Member
I'm pretty sure BR/AR starts would please both sides in H5 considering the AR is actually viable at its intended range now. They just need to buff the magnum.

Have Idris Elba play Mike Colter

Shia Lebeouf plays the Didact

Morgan Freeman plays Lord Hood

Chris Pratt plays Master Chief

Gilbert Gottfried plays 343GS

Zooey Deschanel plays a Jackal shipmistress

Bananadickle Cumberbuncher plays Xytan 'Jar Wattinree

RBK

Banned
I'm fine with AR/Pistol starts in H5. SMG/AR in H2/H3 are not even comparable with how crappy autos were in previous Halos.

No I don't suck. No I'm not a MLG Pro.

dwells

I'm fine with AR/Pistol starts in H5. SMG/AR in H2/H3 are not even comparable with how crappy autos were in previous Halos.

They're comparable in that they're all detrimental to overall gameplay and make it far too easy for teams to control the map, resulting in lopsided matches.

Fuchsdh

Was going to post the Blomkamp footage. He would be a perfect fit to direct (but maybe not write) a Halo movie. Either get Blomkamp (District 9, Elysium, Chappie) or get Joseph Kosinski (Tron: Legacy, Oblivion).

Both of those directors understand how to wed practical effects and CGI in a way that no other director seems to currently grasp.

He is also supremely interested in a "gritty" visual style that doesn't match Halo at all. Him not directing Halo was the best thing that could have happened in the circumstances.

You all just don't understand the masterful game design behind AR/SMG starts.. It's so that if the enemy team gains control, you'll have to skillfully crouch and use your motion tracker to get to the enemy, slowing the match down to a crawl so we can spend 15 minutes having so much fun, all for one Spartain point. After 500 games of this exciting gameplay, you'll be rewarded with a cool rank and some possible armor.

Crouching Spartan Hidden Red Dot

Ballad of the Silver-Tier Warrior

It's still way too easy for a decent team to snowball with AR starts. They can just deny the map to the enemy team, and the enemy team can't do much about it since they are out-ranged.

jem0208

It's a valid argument in this case.

Lets hear the arguments for why SMG starts in Halo 2 are better than BR starts.

Lets hear the arguments for why AR starts in Halo 3 are better than BR starts.

Lets hear the arguments for why AR/Pistol starts are better than AR/BR starts in Halo 5.

Comon, lets hear them.

Any logical person would agree that having a game of Halo where one team has rifles and the freshly respawning players are spawning with non-precision based weapons is completely FUBAR.

Where is the fun in that type of game?

Only reason why someone would like that is because they either suck and enjoy getting easy kills, or they're so good that they enjoy noob-stomping.

Either way, an AR/Pistol start is freaking horrid for Halo 5. It just makes the game feel like Halo 2 SMG starts and Halo 3 AR starts. But that's my two cents.

Honestly, I don't think it's ever valid.

Anyway, first off I'm not going to argue for AR and SMG starts in Halo 2 and 3. They are a completely different situation.

Secondly, I don't consider myself a Halo pro and I'm not particularly super competitive. That said I'm probably above average. I'm generally in the top 3 players in games I play on any Halo. In the beta I started at Gold and got up to just below Onyx, then I crashed down because I had to quit a few games then worked back up to Gold 3 (not that the ranking system was a particularly good indicator of skill). I had a KDA of around 5 or 6. All these points are based on my experience with 5, which I imagine is more similar to your average player than a very competitive pro player.

I had a few problems with BR starts in 5.

1. It punished aggressive movement.
Moving around the map with BR starts became a lot less important and a lot more difficult. Any player could ping from anywhere. This meant a large amount of the matches I played devolved into pinging matches; players would take pot shots at each other from cover for extended periods of time. The maps almost all had long site lines so players would just pin each other down from a distance. This was boring, it also leads onto my second point...

2. The average distance of engagement was greatly increased.
I like close quarters Halo, I think it's far more entertaining than long distance rifle battles. Movement becomes more important, knowledge of your immediate surroundings and how to effectively use them becomes more important. The thruster becomes a useful tool rather than a quick escape to cover. It's just generally more fun duking it out in close quarters. It becomes far more dynamic and more skill than just your aim comes into account. Having BR starts means that engagements begin and end at a far greater distance.

3. Weapon variety and sandbox usage
With AR/pistol starts I found myself and everyone else using every single weapon there was, constantly. With every encounter I had to consider what I was holding and what the enemy was holding. With BR starts I noticed the amount people were using other weapons decreased massively. This was one of my favourite aspects of the beta. It was the first Halo where every weapon was used almost equally and all were capable of killing effectively. This went down the drain with BR starts. We went back to the old dynamic of constant BR battles everywhere.

As for your issue with spawn trapping, that very rarely happened to me in my 20-30 hours or so of playing AR starts. You always spawned within a few seconds sprinting of a precision weapon, and killing another player meant that suddenly they were not only down a player, but also down a precision weapon for a few extra seconds. Whenever this happened a team I was on we could rally back. The problems I stated above affected every single BR starts match for me.

Before FUNKNOWN swoops in with #nomotiontracker; I do agree that removing the radar would help alleviate a few of these problems somewhat, however BRs definitely had an impact because the problems weren't as bad with AR/Pistol starts.

Ranking system in halo 5 needs some work, felt really off. I started off as silver 1 then played a few matches and made it to silver 3. I lost one game and it dropped me back to silver 1.

After that i was always searching with with gold and onyx players. So just as RBK stated ranks meant nothing.

Ballad of the Silver-Tier Warrior

It's still way too easy for a decent team to snowball with AR starts. They can just deny the map to the enemy team, and the enemy team can't do much about it since they are out-ranged.

I don't know what you're talking about. AR starts gametypes in H5 are toooooootally different than previous Halos. It's most definitely not true that teams that are even slightly better will roflstop another team once they have map control. I promise that AR starts (on Pegasus in this example) work wonderfully and aren't at all a total travesty. I swear that, even though these are about the closest rank spread I think we saw throughout the entire beta, with both teams being semi-pro/onyx mixed, that most assuredly means that the game won't be a blowout caused by AR starts...

B7smPOYCAAAeBv2.jpg:large

ohhhh...

#SorryagainQuinn
#ARstartsmakemecry

Hey jem, it's just common sense that if it's AR/Magnum starts with motion tracker enabled, then it will be more difficult to get in on people because you have to be within a closer proximity than with BR starts, no? A range where motion tracker is incredibly detailed and accurate, right?

It wouldn't kinda sorta maybe "somewhat alleviate" these issues.. It would definitely improve the game for everyone.

swoooop

btags

Anyway, first off I'm not going to argue for AR and SMG starts in Halo 2 and 3. They are a completely different situation.

Secondly, I don't consider myself a Halo pro and I'm not particularly super competitive. That said I'm probably above average. I'm generally in the top 3 players in games I play on any Halo. In the beta I started at Gold and got up to just below Onyx, then I crashed down because I had to quit a few games then worked back up to Gold 3 (not that the ranking system was a particularly good indicator of skill). I had a KDA of around 5 or 6. All these points are based on my experience with 5, which I imagine is more similar to your average player than a very competitive pro player.

Moving around the map with BR starts became a lot less important and a lot more difficult. Any player could ping from anywhere. This meant a large amount of the matches I played devolved into pinging matches; players would take pot shots at each other from cover for extended periods of time. The maps almost all had long site lines so players would just pin each other down from a distance. This was boring, it also leads onto my second point...

I like close quarters Halo, I think it's far more entertaining than long distance rifle battles. Movement becomes more important, knowledge of your immediate surroundings and how to effectively use them becomes more important. The thruster becomes a useful tool rather than a quick escape to cover. It's just generally more fun duking it out in close quarters. It becomes far more dynamic and more skill than just your aim comes into account. Having BR starts means that engagements begin and end at a far greater distance.

With AR/pistol starts I found myself and everyone else using every single weapon there was, constantly. With every encounter I had to consider what I was holding and what the enemy was holding. With BR starts I noticed the amount people were using other weapons decreased massively. This was one of my favourite aspects of the beta. It was the first Halo where every weapon was used almost equally and all were capable of killing effectively. This went down the drain with BR starts. We went back to the old dynamic of constant BR battles everywhere.

As for your issue with spawn trapping, that very rarely happened to me in my 20-30 hours or so of playing AR starts. You always spawned within a few seconds sprinting of a precision weapon, and killing another player meant that suddenly they were not only down a player, but also down a precision weapon for a few extra seconds. Whenever this happened a team I was on we could rally back. The problems I stated above affected every single BR starts match for me.

Before FUNKNOWN swoops in with #nomotiontracker; I do agree that removing the radar would help alleviate a few of these problems somewhat, however BRs definitely had an impact because the problems weren't as bad with AR/Pistol starts.

I agree with everything said here.

That's what happens with relatively bad players, any decent team is going to take advantage of the superior range of the precision weapons to deny the other team access to those same weapons. You simply cannot take for granted that in AR starts you can just waltz over to the nearest BR. Even if you do get one, the other team definitely has more than one and you lose anyway.

The automatics were buffed enough in 5 that they because useful within their own ranges, so I don't buy this "explore the sandbox" argument. I would often have a precision and an auto if I could find one. I would never pass up an SMG unless I had a power weapon.

Brawling is fine, but unless I'm very confused the S in FPS doesn't stand for Street Fighter. I do wish they would buff melee, but personally I like utilizing skills that involve aiming and positioning over knowing when to press a button when I get close to a guy. AR starts feel like FPS for Dummies "aim in a direction and we'll do the rest!"

Mix

H5 needs to be BR/AR starts. Anything else is just ridiculous. Also, I really don't think the pistol needs a buff, if anything, Auto weapons need to remove the bonus damage that is dealt when being shot in the head. Idk why anyone thought that felt balanced, makes it feel completely random.

Also, grenades are Reach level nukes, need to be nerfed hard.

jem0208

That's what happens with relatively bad players, any decent team is going to take advantage of the superior range of the precision weapons to deny the other team access to those same weapons. You simply cannot take for granted that in AR starts you can just waltz over to the nearest BR. Even if you do get one, the other team definitely has more than one and you lose anyway.

The automatics were buffed enough in 5 that they because useful within their own ranges, so I don't buy this "explore the sandbox" argument. I would often have a precision and an auto if I could find one. I would never pass up an SMG unless I had a power weapon.

Brawling is fine, but unless I'm very confused the S in FPS doesn't stand for Street Fighter. I do wish they would buff melee, but personally I like utilizing skills that involve aiming and positioning over knowing when to press a button when I get close to a guy. AR starts feel like FPS for Dummies "aim in a direction and we'll do the rest!"

I'm definitely not relatively bad though. I've always held my own in almost every Halo and like I said I'm usually among the top players in a match. I don't consider myself a pro but I'm better than most. I'd say my experience was closer to your average player's than those of a higher skill level.

By close quarters, I don't strictly mean melee btw. A distance where thrusting becomes an effective tool for dodging is a distance I'd consider close quarters.

Top Bottom