• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

I'm definitely not relatively bad though. I've always held my own in almost every Halo and like I said I'm usually among the top players in a match. I don't consider myself a pro but I'm better than most. I'd say my experience was closer to your average player's than those of a higher skill level.

By close quarters, I don't strictly mean melee btw. A distance where thrusting becomes an effective tool for dodging is a distance I'd consider close quarters.

So thrusting is okay to use for dodging as long as it's within some arbitrary distance?

dwells

I'm definitely not relatively bad though. I've always held my own in almost every Halo and like I said I'm usually among the top players in a match. I don't consider myself a pro but I'm better than most. I'd say my experience was closer to your average player's than those of a higher skill level.
The problem is that the average player is bad. Average players don't understand key elements of the sandbox, strategy, etc. The average player thinks Lockout is one of the best maps and great for Slayer and doesn't understand what you mean when you say the map has severe issues with "map control."

That's what happens with relatively bad players, any decent team is going to take advantage of the superior range of the precision weapons to deny the other team access to those same weapons. You simply cannot take for granted that in AR starts you can just waltz over to the nearest BR. Even if you do get one, the other team definitely has more than one and you lose anyway.

The automatics were buffed enough in 5 that they because useful within their own ranges, so I don't buy this "explore the sandbox" argument. I would often have a precision and an auto if I could find one. I would never pass up an SMG unless I had a power weapon.

Brawling is fine, but unless I'm very confused the S in FPS doesn't stand for Street Fighter. I do wish they would buff melee, but personally I like utilizing skills that involve aiming and positioning over knowing when to press a button when I get close to a guy. AR starts feel like FPS for Dummies "aim in a direction and we'll do the rest!"
Yeah, you just gave me the idea to do for the Halo 5 Beta what I did for CE, to squash those "b-but only the Magnum was used" arguments.

BR/AR starts in Halo 5, let's start with BR comparisons:
BR vs DMR -> DMR has more range, is single shot, feels like a great pick up to replace the BR for.
BR vs LR -> Light Rifle is a beast in this game and aptly feels like a Tier 2 power weapon, warrants a pick up over the BR.
BR vs Magnum -> lol.​

Now for the AR:
AR vs SMG -> SMG is a little beast, warranting a pick up over the AR.​

Power weapons:
Rocket, Sniper, Hydra, Bane/Sword. All weapons you want to pick up (arguable for Bane/Sword).​

So what exactly wasn't being used in the sandbox with BR/AR starts? Perhaps the fault is on the players for not using more weapons, but they were definitely worthy of picking up over the BR/AR.

I would love for people to stop saying that BR/AR makes the rest of the weapons useless when it's not the fault of those weapons, but the fault of motion tracker gimping effective movement around the map.

dwells

BR vs LR -> Light Rifle is a beast in this game and aptly feels like a Tier 2 power weapon, warrants a pick up over the BR.
Does it, though? In Onyx I saw it rarely used, and at Semi-Pro I think I saw it used once. The slow rate of fire and awkward scope being a requirement really countered out the increased power. It was okay for knocking shields away, but that was about it - it was more an annoyance than it was effective.

Booshka

Yo 343/MS can you guys just "accidentally" make it so that Silver accounts can play Shadowrun online for Xbox 360? Still want to play some Private Matches with Xbox dudes and don't want to renew Gold just for that game.

Thanks.

Ramirez

Does it, though? In Onyx I saw it rarely used, and at Semi-Pro I think I saw it used once. The slow rate of fire and awkward scope being a requirement really countered out the increased power. It was okay for knocking shields away, but that was about it - it was more an annoyance than it was effective.

Just because people didn't realize how powerful it was doesn't mean it's bad. 2 shots to break shields is useful as fuck if your team is making a push. Putting one at the top of Pegasus was extremely dumb however, the rich get richer.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Yo 343/MS can you guys just "accidentally" make it so that Silver accounts can play Shadowrun online for Xbox 360? Still want to play some Private Matches with Xbox dudes and don't want to renew Gold just for that game.

Thanks.

Lolllllllll

That game should be ported to xbox one... But not by 343 for obvious reasons....

Just because people didn't realize how powerful it was doesn't mean it's bad. 2 shots to break shields is useful as fuck if your team is making a push. Putting one at the top of Pegasus was extremely dumb however, the rich get richer.
I was literally about to make this exact post. The LR with first shot is a straight up power weapon. Even descoped, it kills pretty fast.

Reminds me of the argument for removing the grenade launcher after Reach: "well, it wasn't used much". That doesn't mean that it wasn't devastating. And don't even get me started on the shitty map placement that had :(

-Ryn

Banned
I prefer. Pistols are cooler.

Unfortunately rule of cool doesn't make them any more effective. So until they return the Pistol to its former glory AR/BR is better all around.
Though I do enjoy AR/Pistol on occasion to be honest. It's just fun sometimes.

Especially if MT wasn't an issue

Hey Funk! What do you think of the ODST Map display being used as a replacement for MT (look at it by double tapping select or something)?

Hello, GAF.
Hello!

Ladies and gents, boys and girls of all ages…

What elements, and I’m being serious here, would you like to see in a Halo movie?

Additionally, is this question in the right place, or should it be in a separate, bespoke thread?
You could make this a thread but this isn't the wrong place either.

I don't know that I have much preference. Fall of Reach is a good reference so you're good there. Just try to properly build the universe around the characters you decide to use. Stuff like how Chief was treated in H4 was baffling.

Good luck dude!

jem0208

So thrusting is okay to use for dodging as long as it's within some arbitrary distance?

What? That's not what I'm trying to say at all.

Thrusting isn't very effective at dodging at a distance. Due to the fact that you don't move very far relative to your distance to the player targeting you. Therefore they don't have to move their reticule very much to re target you.

At closer quarters you can dodge around players very effectively with thrusters.

The problem is that the average player is bad. Average players don't understand key elements of the sandbox, strategy, etc. The average player thinks Lockout is one of the best maps and great for Slayer and doesn't understand what you mean when you say the map has severe issues with "map control."

You're thinking of the modal player. I'm talking about the mean skill level.

Regardless of that, if the majority of players (i.e: the average people) prefer to play with AR starts then AR starts should be the base setting for a basic playlist like Team Slayer.

If the majority prefer BR starts then that's what should be implemented. We don't really have any conclusive data to back up either side.

I think the best system would be Team Slayer is AR/pistol starts for anyone ranked below semi-pro or maybe Onyx. Above that is BR starts.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
What? That's not what I'm trying to say at all.

Thrusting isn't very effective at dodging at a distance. Due to the fact that you don't move very far relative to your distance to the player targeting you. Therefore they don't have to move their reticule very much to re target you.

At closer quarters you can dodge around players very effectively with thrusters.

Regardless of that, if the majority of players (i.e: the average people) prefer to play with AR starts then AR starts should be the base setting for a basic playlist like Team Slayer.

If the majority prefer BR starts then that's what should be implemented. We don't really have any conclusive data to back up either side.

I think the best system would be Team Slayer is AR/pistol starts for anyone ranked below semi-pro or maybe Onyx. Above that is BR starts.

In my humble opinion, a game should never be designed around the average player....the skill ceiling will be too short, making the end-game boring as snails.

Can you imagine if StarCraft II was designed around the average player?

Why on earth does Halo need to continue this "need" to cater to the average player? Why can't it be built from the ground up for tournament play and trickle-down takes its course...with a solid ranking system that separates pros from scrubs.

jem0208

In my humble opinion, a game should never be designed around the average player....the skill ceiling will be too short, making the end-game boring as snails.

Can you imagine if StarCraft II was designed around the average player?

Why on earth does Halo need to continue this "need" to cater to the average player? Why can't it be built from the ground up for tournament play and trickle-down takes its course...with a solid ranking system that separates pros from scrubs.

Starting weapons being based around the majority doesn't mean you're designing the entire game around them.

If you're basic game settings are those which the majority dislike you've not done a good job, if catering entirely to the top tier players means you're neglecting the other players then you're doing a bad job. Have a separate playlist for the competitive community or implement different gameplay settings for different ranks.

dwells

Nah, I'm thinking of median skill. Which, based on the rank curves that were published back in the day, was something like mid-twenties in Halo 2 and low 30s in Halo 3. People at those ranks had absolutely no idea what they were doing and certainly didn't have any sort of deep understanding of the competitive aspects of the game.

The "majority rules" argument is flawed in that the majority is often wrong, and it isn't really relevant to the argument. The argument is whether or not one system is objectively better than the other, and the evidence points to BR starts being far superior in creating skilled, balanced, and competitive gameplay.

Ultimately that's what counts and is best for the integrity of the game. Chess might be more exciting if you added a bunch of new pieces and forced people to use them until they unlocked their knights and queens, but it wouldn't be a better game.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Starting weapons being based around the majority doesn't mean you're designing the entire game around them.

If you're basic game settings are those which the majority dislike you've not done a good job, if catering entirely to the top tier players means you're neglecting the other players then you're doing a bad job. Have a separate playlist for the competitive community or implement different gameplay settings for different ranks.

What makes you think catering to top tier play neglects lower tier?? Where does this logic come from?

It doesn't make sense to me.

What is so wrong with lower tier ranked players playing by the same rules as pros?

Haruko

So what exactly wasn't being used in the sandbox with BR/AR starts? Perhaps the fault is on the players for not using more weapons, but they were definitely worthy of picking up over the BR/AR.

Pretty much just the Magnum, honestly. Not sure what would be the best way to fix that.

• Give Magnum a buff (-1 or 2 shots to kill?)
  • Make it BR/Magnum starts with more ARs on map to compensate for the swap?
  • Something else?

I would like the magnum to at least see more use than it did in H2 (post nerf) and H3.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Pretty much just the Magnum, honestly. Not sure what would be the best way to fix that.

• Something else?

I would like the magnum to at least see more use than it did in H2 (post nerf) and H3.

We're also missing the follow possible weapons:

- Shotgun
- Plasma Pistol
- Plasma Rifle
- Mauler (gosh I hope not)
- Needler

And in addition to those missing weapons, we didn't have any powerups such as camo and overshield.

Designing? Not necessarily. Affecting the entire experience? Most definitely.

The most obvious example is map design. By dictating what range a player can defend themselves at from spawn, you change the effectiveness of every sightline. The placement of non-power weapons has to be changed to accommodate this reduced range (LR on top of Pegasus again is bad) on spawn so a team isn't completely defenseless. Map movement changes completely, as does grenade usage and effectiveness.

This one change completely alters so much of how the game plays that I think you *should* design around it. You can still play the game however you like, but starting weaponry should most certainly be a major factor in how you design your maps and game flow. Try Midship on default weapons. It makes it one of the worst maps to ever play on. Change the starting weapons and it's suddenly a classic.

Design should be for what actually plays well for people that don't suck and are trying to win. People who don't fit into those categories likely won't give a shit either way.

Haruko

We're also missing the follow possible weapons:

- Shotgun
- Plasma Pistol
- Plasma Rifle
- Mauler (gosh I hope not)
- Needler

And in addition to those missing weapons, we didn't have any powerups such as camo and overshield.

Yeah, and as far as additional NON-power weapons go, I'm also guessing at least a couple more Forerunner weapons (Scattershot and Suppressor?) since we have a Light Rifle again, and a Covenant precision weapon (Carbine/Needle Rifle).

Mdot

Anybody having issues with Live right now? Won't even let me sign in and it's saying all my connections are fine.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
3OEU9v1.gif

• Something else?

Best way to fix the Magnum (IMO) is to give it backpack reloading. That is, if you switch to the Magnum, whatever gun you're holding reloads (in its usual time period). Place it properly, and it becomes the power weapon's companion of choice.

King Leo

Neo Member
I agree with TTUVAPOR. If 343 is serious about this eSports thing, they should make as little difference as possible between HCS and normal matchmaking. It has to be competitive out of the box without having to strip down the game. I feel that's what causes the great divide between the "competitive and casual" players.

Casuals will always find a way to have fun even in the most competitive of games. Besides, there's Forge, customs, theater, and the not-so-serious playlists like BTB, SWAT, Infection, etc.

Stupid question. If I got the first email for the survey am I waiting for another email or code? I'm not seeing anything about the survey itself. It's just an upcoming thing I'm guessing?

link1201

Stupid question. If I got the first email for the survey am I waiting for another email or code? I'm not seeing anything about the survey itself. It's just an upcoming thing I'm guessing?

Did you look in your junk folder? I found my first survey in mine.

Welfare

Pretty cool no scope, made me happy
http://xboxclips.com/MIXMASTERCHlEF/b2b4b9d9-0037-49a0-aae4-4dc9d0aa6607

Also, I don't know what it is about the matchmaking system in this game, but it is so freakin' difficult to get paired with a team that knows what they're doing. I jumped into a team slayer match of H3 on Heretic and went 25-5 and we only won 50-46. It's almost funny

Try getting paired with teams in BTB where you have to constantly get ~30 kills each game to even hope to win.

When If ranks come, BTB needs them.

Top Bottom