• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I'd rather have the game fixed than get free crap. I bought MCC to play HCE on Xbox live and the other Halos in ranked matchmaking...that was promised more than a year ago.

Where's ranked HCE?
Where's ranked H2?
Where's ranked Halo Championship playlist?

I'm probably going to pre order it... I know, I'm part of the problem.

It's just I've pre ordered every Halo since 2. It would be sad to end that tradition. Also I'm just as interested in campaign as multiplayer, so even if it's broken I'll be playing. I'm reasonably confident that 5 won't be broken though. My experience in the beta was largely positive and 4 was completely playable. I don't think the MCC is a particularly good indication of how 5 will turn out. It's a completely different project and it sounds like this new multiplayer system screwed then over. I imagine the new system will be completely sorted by the time 5 comes out.

You have only seen a small part of the game, you do know 80% of the game you are playing as Locke right? What I'm saying is, maybe you should wait until they show the rest of the game (if they do)

343 is notorious for showing us what they want to . I'm not convinced even what we saw is the main MP.

Akai__

Yeah I'm personally waiting a week after launch for H5. If I hear about any issues like MCC I'm not buying.

Really hope others vote with their wallet too.

This video comes to mind, even if I don't agree 100% with it:

Don't Pre Order Halo 5 Guardians
Because 343 Industries Will Make Halo 5 Multiplayer

I'll definitely not pre-order Halo 5, but maybe I'll get it in the releases week. BUT... If I hear anything about issues and how SP and/or MP doesn't work, I'll make sure to get my refund. This practice of broken games on launch (and > 2 months after launch) needs to stop.

I wished there was a precedent case, where the law would forbid broken games. Wishful thinking I know, but I don't know of any other situation in our lifes, where you would get something broken for the full price and people would tell you "it will be fixed".

You have only seen a small part of the game, you do know 80% of the game you are playing as Locke right?

Has this been confirmed. I love Master Chief, but I would welcome playing as someone different again. I still have hope for Arbiter, Locke and Master Chief.

CyReN

People are going to bitch either way, I rather have people to play with in the summer instead of a ghost town (no pun).

Can't believe we are approaching 80 days and we are still hoping the game gets fixed.

Karl2177

People are going to bitch either way, I rather have people to play with in the summer instead of a ghost town (no pun).

Can't believe we are approaching 80 days and we are still hoping the game gets fixed.

Do what I did and stop hoping that it gets fixed. This game getting fixed is about as likely as Sprint and ADS getting removed from Halo 5.

jem0208

Give ODST and Reach free to them. TBH, I think they're going to give us something else for free anyways.

I'd personally be happy with that, however I still think a lot of people will be really pissed.

Although free ODST firefight and then you're sorted.

You have only seen a small part of the game, you do know 80% of the game you are playing as Locke right? What I'm saying is, maybe you should wait until they show the rest of the game (if they do)

343 is notorious for showing us what they want to . I'm not convinced even what we saw is the main MP.

I've seen this claim a lot and never seen any proof. Seriously, source?

Also I don't see how that would necessarily be a bad thing. ODST was fantastic, Reach was very good, the Arbiter was awesome. Halo campaigns don't need the Chief to be good.

BF4 was broken for ages and its population came back.

TTUVAPOR

Banned

I can't remember how long Battlefield 4's problems persisted, but I'm guessing MCC's has gone beyond what BF4 did in regards to still not being fixed.

When does this MCC beta patch start...and how long does that last...then how long before the patch actually comes out?

TTUVAPOR

Banned
1.27.15 at 2PM PST was the last update on the Halo Waypoint Halo MCC Support Bug Investigation thread.

Judging by what it says, there's no foreseeable date on when the next title update is coming. :( This would be weeks...months...

I'd personally be happy with that, however I still think a lot of people will be really pissed.

Although free ODST firefight and then you're sorted.

I've seen this claim a lot and never seen any proof. Seriously, source?

Also I don't see how that would necessarily be a bad thing. ODST was fantastic, Reach was very good, the Arbiter was awesome. Halo campaigns don't need the Chief to be good.

BF4 was broken for ages and its population came back.

I'm not making it up. I'm pretty sure it was ntkrnl on these forums. In a latter post someone asked him was it a metal gear 2 type of deal and he said the opposite, in other words you are playing most of the time as Locke.

Akai__

I'm not making it up. I'm pretty sure it was ntkrnl on these forums. In a latter post someone asked him was it a metal gear 2 type of deal and he said the opposite, in other words you are playing most of the time as Locke.

Doubt it's true, but I'd be okay with that. Not sure, if you can know stuff like this 2 1/2 years before release.

It depends, if the story was already written and set in stone, I guess.

Doubt it's true, but I'd be okay with that. Not sure, if you can know stuff like this 2 1/2 years before release.

It depends, if the story was already written and set in stone, I guess.

Here: http://www.xboxachievements.com/new...or-Master-Chief-as-Agent-Locke-in-Halo-5.html

Im going nuts looking for it but I think when this broke there was a gaming side thread when people were asking the percentage of time as Locke vs Chief and one of the insiders said something to the effect that is was opposite of the Metal Gear game meaning Locke was the primary character but I cant find it. Its on GAF somewhere.

VinFTW

It's been severely discounted through sales and in the EA vault for sometime now, hell it's $13 bucks right now on XBL.

Don't forget EA Access too, EA did good by that game. Excellent expansions (well most of them were excellent, I hate the Naval Strike expansion) and good deals/pricing.

You also have to remember, Halo is MS's flagship franchise. As big as BF4 is, it's not nearly as important as Halo is to MS.

Jhferry, that information has been debunked, like I said, by Stinkles.

Correct: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=133152233#post133152233

Also here is Frankie's response. Read it carefully though, no mention of actual play time split per character.

He debunked the percentages in the OT, not that gaming side thread.

Akai__

Here: http://www.xboxachievements.com/new...or-Master-Chief-as-Agent-Locke-in-Halo-5.html

Im going nuts looking for it but I think when this broke there was a gaming side thread when people were asking the percentage of time as Locke vs Chief and one of the insiders said something to the effect that is was opposite of the Metal Gear game meaning Locke was the primary character but I cant find it. Its on GAF somewhere.

I have seen the conversation on GAF. I think shinobi was the one asking that question, but not sure.

However, if it's 80% and we have 10 mission, that would mean 8 missions Locke and 2 Master Chief. That seems like an unlikely split to me.

This video comes to mind, even if I don't agree 100% with it:

Don't Pre Order Halo 5 Guardians
Because 343 Industries Will Make Halo 5 Multiplayer

I'll definitely not pre-order Halo 5, but maybe I'll get it in the releases week. BUT... If I hear anything about issues and how SP and/or MP doesn't work, I'll make sure to get my refund. This practice of broken games on launch (and > 2 months after launch) needs to stop.

I wished there was a precedent case, where the law would forbid broken games. Wishful thinking I know, but I don't know of any other situation in our lifes, where you would get something broken for the full price and people would tell you "it will be fixed".

Has this been confirmed. I love Master Chief, but I would welcome playing as someone different again. I still have hope for Arbiter, Locke and Master Chief.
"Hi I'm Batman"

I have seen the conversation on GAF. I think shinobi was the one asking that question, but not sure.

However, if it's 80% and we have 10 mission, that would mean 8 missions Locke and 2 Master Chief. That seems like an unlikely split to me.

Correct: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=133152233#post133152233

Also here is Frankie's response. Read it carefully though, no mention of actual play time split per character.

"A" primary character,

Chief is the main character and hero.

NO.

The end.

Madness

Population ain't coming back. We have people here who sold their Xbox One's, refunded the game etc. What hope does the game have in the long run, with non-Halo fans? Not to mention when Halo 5, which was warmly received, will release. Might as well make it a pack in with new bundles and release a PC version to keep the brand going.

willow ve

343 Can't even launch a beta patch for MCC on time.

There is zero hope that this collection ever gets fixed to be "just like you remember". There is less hope that anything they do makes up for the issues. The whole idea of ODST without Firefight is laughable. The idea that it only goes to those who played the game in the first month, equally so.

At this point is there anything they could reasonably do that would get population numbers back for MCC?

Should they just yank the entire game, spend 6 months actually fixing it, and then re-release it for free at E3 with ODST (with firefight) and Reach included? Would that save the brand / the collection? Maybe, but that's a massive undertaking which simply won't happen.

I bought an X1 just to play the MCC. That was a roughly $400 investment in mid December and to date I've played around 15 games of multiplayer. That's a horrible return on that investment. Fortunately I now have other games spend my time (mostly Destiny).

FyreWulff

Never Surrender

Bwyooooooooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cZ7ndjhhps

brrrrrr superbounce

Your time is up, my time is now
You can't see me, my time is now
It's the franchise, boy I'm shinin' now
You can't see me, my time is now!

In case you forgot or fell off I'm still hot like jelyk
My sniper bounce up to top of Relic
The franchise, doin' big bid'ness like Halo 3
It's automatic I win this - the blue team spawn in front of me
A soldier, and I stay under you fightin'
Plus I'm stormin' on you chumps like I'm wearing thunder and lightning
Ain't no way you breakin' me kid, I'm harder than this
Plus I keep it on Lockout, modding the playlis'
I'm slaughtering stale, competition, I got the whole Zone Alarm
Hit that standby and come in for the assault bomb arm
- with no bait, kid your boy's at fault
I got my ban straight, I dodge with a new keyvault
In any weather I'm never better your Xbox's so hot
you'll never catch me the next gen's better
If they hate, let 'em hate, I mod ya whole clan
Lay yo' ass down for a 3 second span

Tawpgun

dwells

Given how he's either lied, deceptively phrased, spread misinformation, or whatever degree of euphemism for "not true" you want to use, about pretty much everything so far, I wouldn't take his word for anything at this point.

Also, simply not preordering or waiting a week isn't really enough in regard to Halo 5. "I'm really mad, but I'm still going to give you money again after you screwed me in the past. I'm just going to do it begrudgingly and slightly delayed this time around!" You're still supporting a studio which has wronged you and harmed the Halo community as a whole,and hasn't shown any sort of genuine and honest compassion.

This is a company that knowingly sold a broken product, lied to their fans, purposefully deceived and limited reviewers in order to hide the state of the game (thus inflating reviews and increasing sales), continued to promote the product, downplayed the state of affairs whenever possible, communicated as minimally and non-transparently as possible, and allowed a key executive producer and hype man to disappear a mere two days after launch so he wouldn't have to face the disappointed fans.

In any other industry, a recall and refund program would be nearly mandatory in this type of situation. Instead, the only people who could get refunds are those who fought with the digital retailer (Microsoft) that they purchased the title from. Owners of physical copies were generally out of luck.

Is this really a business model and company that you want to continue to support?

It is.

Zoom was just added to assault rifle. If smart linked zoom was added to it in Halo 3 it would have the same spread reduction when zoomed. (But it would still be a dumb decisions)

The SMG in ODST and H2A acts similar.

DMR scope aint cosmetic, nor are the frames of animation the sniper now takes to reach full zoom. The aesthetic elements of ADS don't really bother me but there are some appreciable differences from literally every single Halo game that has come before it.

Has anyone here done the H3 annual achievement on the MCC? Got a party ready to do it in an hour but wondered if anyone's got any cautionary tales before we spend two hours getting to the Ghost sequence before the game crashes.

jem0208

This is a company that knowingly sold a broken product, lied to their fans, purposefully deceived and limited reviewers in order to hide the state of the game (thus inflating reviews and increasing sales), continued to promote the product, downplayed the state of affairs whenever possible, communicated as minimally and non-transparently as possible, and allowed a key executive producer and hype man to disappear a mere two days after launch so he wouldn't have to face the disappointed fans.

Well that's a load of bullshit.

1. How do you know they knew? We've been told multiple times that they had no idea. Not saying that's a good thing however you're claiming they lied with no proof.

2. How exactly did they deceive reviewers?

3. Downplayed? They've stated that the MCC is a mess a number of times. Frankie is always going on about how they fucked up.

4. The communication whilst not great hasn't exactly been awful. What do you expect them to say? A weekly update on how they're still working on it? They've stated a number of times that they're going to keep working on it till it's fixed.

5. I don't see how this is relevant at all. He isn't required to do anything. The only thing which would happen if he were to speak up is people would throw ridicule at him. That's not helpful for either side. There's also the possibility that's he's busy working on fixing the game and is leaving the interaction with us to others.

RBK

Banned
Is this really a business model and company that you want to continue to support?

I mean if nobody else is making Halo, yeah?

It's not perfect, but it's playable. If it was still in the same state it was at launch, I would be more upset.

MCC is obviously an ongoing disgrace but I'd be less frustrated with the situation if they left the Halo 5 beta up until it was fixed. It would ease the pressure on them a bit too; they at least had something to hide behind and be positive about while the beta was live. What on earth can they talk about in their weekly bulletin video now?

Karl2177

DMR scope aint cosmetic, nor are the frames of animation the sniper now takes to reach full zoom. The aesthetic elements of ADS don't really bother me but there are some appreciable differences from literally every single Halo game that has come before it.

Has anyone here done the H3 annual achievement on the MCC? Got a party ready to do it in an hour but wondered if anyone's got any cautionary tales before we spend two hours getting to the Ghost sequence before the game crashes.

As per the usual, expect the possibility of a crash after any cutscene.

dwells

1. How do you know they knew? We've been told multiple times that they had no idea. Not saying that's a good thing however you're claiming they lied with no proof.

2. How exactly did they deceive reviewers?

3. Downplayed? They've stated that the MCC is a mess a number of times. Frankie is always going on about how they fucked up.

4. The communication whilst not great hasn't exactly been awful. What do you expect them to say? A weekly update on how they're still working on it? They've stated a number of times that they're going to keep working on it till it's fixed.

5. I don't see how this is relevant at all. He isn't required to do anything. The only thing which would happen if he were to speak up is people would throw ridicule at him. That's not helpful for either side. There's also the possibility that's he's busy working on fixing the game and is leaving the interaction with us to others.

1. Do you honestly believe that they didn't? That something so broken in every aspect that users experienced single player crashes to a red text console prompt in one of the campaigns somehow made it through rigorous QA testing? Halo 1 Anniversary's campaign has framerate dives (especially in split screen), Halo 2 Anniversary's campaign has save issues, terminals didn't work, Halo 3 crashes after cutscenes and has lighting bugs, Halo 4 crashes and has framerate problems, matchmaking doesn't work, parties don't work, emblems don't work, service tags didn't work, -1th, gametypes and settings were wrong, even teams were a rarity, Halo 2 Classic multiplayer netcode is still a disaster, Halo CE multiplayer netcode was a disaster, ranks and playlists had to be cut, the menu and UI are full of bugs, and so on. There is no way whatsoever that they missed all of this, especially since we saw (and they acknowledged) some of the same bugs and crashes during the pre-release tournaments.
  2. They gave reviewers a partial copy of the game that exposed limited content that was known to be working properly. As a result, reviewers didn't get a chance to see the save bug in Halo 2 Anniversary, the crashes in Halo 4, the matchmaking system not working, the areas with framerate dives, etc. A deceptive package was used to misrepresent an unfinished, broken product and earn it 10/10 reviews,
  3. They've repeatedly downplayed the scale of the issues and are yet to even acknowledge some of the major issues. Frankie had described the game as "functional" and expressed disbelief at a poster who mentioned he was still unable to find games. They used language like (and I quote) "some users" and "may experience" and "longer than normal" matchmaking times to describe a product that was shipped broken to everyone.
  4. They've shown no transparency and have been unable to meet the time frames they've given us. Official communication is extremely sparse and limited to the small Waypoint updates. Refer to the previous complaints of misleading or false claims as well.
  5. Except that he should be required to do something. You can't go around hyping up a game and talking about how well it works and then run away when people find out you lied. Owning up to it and facing the people you've upset is part of the job. No matter how "busy" he may be, there's always time to engage the community.

How can you possibly defend this nonsense?

Fuchsdh

1. How can you possibly defend this nonsense?

1. You might want to go outside and live life a little, instead of your constant internet outrage machine hyperbole participation.

Yikes. I've only played one level of H3 campaign on MCC so I'm not versed in its bugs. Might have to swerve annual until a fix (lol) happens.

Completed Annual two weeks ago with no issues. Didn't realize it was possible to resurrect Johnson after the cutscene, though. Too bad he doesn't follow you outside...

Computer

MCC is obviously an ongoing disgrace but I'd be less frustrated with the situation if they left the Halo 5 beta up until it was fixed. It would ease the pressure on them a bit too; they at least had something to hide behind and be positive about while the beta was live. What on earth can they talk about in their weekly bulletin video now?

Speaking of 343 being terrible at communicating with the community the weekly bulletin video is a joke. It comes off as a fake ass Entertainment Tonight episode with a douche host trying to smile though a small amount of BS news no one gives a fuck about. Its a huge missed opportunity for 343 to get closer to the fans. Why not make it a weekly live Vlog interviewing people that actually work on the game? Talk about shit we want to hear like new developments on the MCC or developments in H5 mp. They could also have HCS pros on the show for interviews or answer community questions. Why do I even have to post this? Why is 343 so dumb they cant figure this out on their own? 343 has no clue how to reach out to the community. Know wonder people talk so much shit because they are nameless and faceless. What happened to the 343 podcast? I don't care if there is a new over priced Mega Blocks toy coming out give me some real information we are not all 12 years old.

Karl2177

Yikes. I've only played one level of H3 campaign on MCC so I'm not versed in its bugs. Might have to swerve annual until a fix (lol) happens.

To be fair though, I've only had 1 mid-mission cutscene crash and that was The Covenant - Citadel cutscene. All of my other campaign crashes happen after the mission is complete. Last night I was doing the Halo 4 Normal Campaign playlist and it crashed to Home at the end of the first mission.

Even when dwells is outside he is refreshing Dan Ayoub's twitter.

Lol'd

Completed Annual two weeks ago with no issues. Didn't realize it was possible to resurrect Johnson after the cutscene, though. Too bad he doesn't follow you outside...

To be fair though, I've only had 1 mid-mission cutscene crash and that was The Covenant - Citadel cutscene. All of my other campaign crashes happen after the mission is complete. Last night I was doing the Halo 4 Normal Campaign playlist and it crashed to Home at the end of the first mission.

Ok, thanks for the heads up guys

Leyasu

Banned
For me, halo 5 is an insta download if they have a datacenter selection option. I loved the beta when playing locally. But out of region was terrible beyond belief. If I am going to be at the mercy of 343s idea of server selection, then they can shove the game.

The MCC is a mixed bag. I have never really had a problem getting games, and still don't. But it is either unplayable p2p, terrible out of region dedicated servers or sublime local servers.

Last night, I played BTB one bomb assault on stone town locally, and it was amazing! But because the game is so fucking broken, the restart/research afterwards dumped me into another dedicated server match, but out of region! WTF??? I just give up.

Obviously the p2p fallback was put in because it was nowhere near ready in November. But when are they going to deactivate it? Surely they must? I have never played a game that was sold as being played on dedicated servers, yet played most of the games p2p! They have Microsofts multi billion dollar azure network at their disposal ffs. Forza, SO, FH2 and titanfall work great and don't need a p2p fallback. But looking at the beta, even when they get the servers working, they seem to have no clue as to how they should be used. Even BF4 in its most broken state allowed us to choose where we play.

The beta thread was full of people complaining about lag, because they are just getting dumped into any server regardless of location or ping. OK, it can be excused because it was a beta. But if the full game is the same, then for me atleast, it will just confirm that 343 really have no idea as to how to create a stable and playable on-line experience.. I just hope to be proved wrong.

Rant over. Sorry

FyreWulff

You matchmake in Reach's though if I remember rightly?

yes

also in all honesty I wouldn't have wanted matchmaking for ODST's Firefight. Reach's mm firefight was way more arcadey than ODST partly just so it would work in matchmaking without endless ragequitting or griefing.

dwells

You might want to go outside and live life a little, instead of your constant internet outrage machine hyperbole participation.
The only hyperbole is "constant internet outrage machine."

People were talking about not preordering Halo 5 as if it's making an impact. My post was relevant to that discussion and I defended it when it was called into question.

Akai__

You can't even matchmake in ODST's firefight, which sucked IMO. Unless you could get 3 other friends together the harder difficulties were impossible.

I know, but what's your point? I enjoyed ODST Firefight with friends. Don't have to rely on randoms, who are getting killed over and over again and wasting all your lifes.

You matchmake in Reach's though if I remember rightly?

Yes. Bungie decided to add matchmaking for it, because people were frustrated about ODST not having matchmaking.

NOKYARD

Are you using the spire shortcut?

You should be able to get to the Ghosts in 10 to 15 minutes, including the eventual deaths getting 4 players up there.

willow ve

You can't even matchmake in ODST's firefight, which sucked IMO. Unless you could get 3 other friends together the harder difficulties were impossible.

Bungie doesn't like match making in cooperative modes. They think it leads to a bad player experience and would rather you spend 30% of your gaming time on random third party websites and forums looking for a group to play with. Because Bungie.

In Destiny they lock out matchmaking in 3 modes - weekly challengs, nightfalls, and raids - for no real reason other than "cause player experience" - even though matchmaking exists for plenty of other cooperative modes throughout the game.

CyReN

When we got our media copy it had no MM, it was suppose to launch on the Tuesday before but got delayed a few times until about the Saturday before. Even then there were still various issues.

Personally we assumed it was the possible low player base, it wasn't. Sometime before launch they had to know something was screwed up.

Top Bottom