• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's always the 360 remake

200.gif

Halo 3 sucked. Huge disappointment.

Finished ODST on legendary, it was a lot easier then I remembered. I'd say it's by far the easiest legendary. Still a great game though. <3

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Same, actually. I used to regret that, but seeing the way Amiibos are actively destroying some people, I'm pretty glad I missed the Nintendo bug.
I've been a Nintendo / Xbox guy mostly. I've had a PS Vita and PS4, but don't anymore.

Amiibo are stupid. Even worse than normal DLC because then I have to have some useless figurines laying around.

ZB Reach DMR was legit, especially in that Classic playlist on Forge maps. Best playlist in the game, then it disappeared.
I actually had to edit that weapon part in afterward, slipped my mind when I first made the post :p
A self aware jem is a dangerous jem.
I never had an N64.
Nevermind.. you are the worst.
Same, actually. I used to regret that, but seeing the way Amiibos are actively destroying some people, I'm pretty glad I missed the Nintendo bug.
One should never be glad to not be a Nintendo fan. All their mistakes aside, I can't imagine not playing a new Zelda or a new Smash, etc. They need to get their shit together when it comes to online and social interaction outside of the Miiverse lol

I decided to launch my 360 and play reach again. You know I had forgotten that even though I don't really care for a lot of the mp as much as past titles, except for Invasion which I adored, the campaign really is great. It doesn't have the absolute best levels of the series, but every one of them is of high quality and none in my opinion are a drag to play. Plus, I FINALLY got my space combat mission in Long Night of Solace. That + the low gravity parts were just so cool to me. Also New Alexandria is an excellent helicopter level. The aesthetics and feel of this game imo are the best of Halo. The Spartan design and the weapon design are at an all time high here. The game is REALLY crippled by being not only 30 fps, but an unstable 30 fps, semi frequently falling under 30 fps, and the really offputting ghosting effect is VERY strong and bothersome. This is one game I REALLY hope makes it in the MCC. I would even like to play the MP! (Though maybe they should do what they did for H4 and make most of the matchmade gametypes the updated ones, with no bloom and such.)

HTupolev

and the really offputting ghosting effect is VERY strong and bothersome.
I really don't get why this complaint is quite so prominent.

Reach turns off TAA blending when motion is detected at a pixel. This occasionally fails, particularly noticeable in a few cutscenes. But the vast majority of the time, it's working well enough that what little ghosting might be present isn't really noticeable.

Like, I get why Reach's IQ gets complaints. The motion blur doesn't look quite as smooth as Halo 3's because it's not gamma-correct. The game has no AA in motion. The TAA uses a quincunx blend pattern, resulting in a soft image that puts some people off.

But there's just not that much ghosting.

Impala26

Never actually played it... I never had an N64. Only consoles I've ever owned were Xboxes, all for Halo.

You definitely missed out. It's still one of the best FPS games made to date, imo.

Then again, my opinion should be invalidated according to Deddy because I never played Quake :p

N64-era Nintendo =/= Wii U/Amiibo-era Nintendo

There's always the 360 remake

Smoothing out the jaggies was a great thing with the arcade remake.
It's a shame that the mission levels don't hold up particularly amazing anymore though.

Those multiplayer bots though... they're still some of the best in the biz. Holy shit.

I really don't get why this complaint is quite so prominent.

Reach turns off TAA blending when motion is detected at a pixel. This occasionally fails, particularly noticeable in a few cutscenes. But the vast majority of the time, it's working well enough that what little ghosting might be present isn't really noticeable.

Like, I get why Reach's IQ gets complaints. The motion blur doesn't look quite as smooth as Halo 3's because it's not gamma-correct. The game has no AA in motion. The TAA uses a quincunx blend pattern, resulting in a soft image that puts some people off.

But there's just not that much ghosting.

Eh back then it was hardly a problem for me, I am just spoiled by games now lol

Haruko

Smoothing out the jaggies was a great thing with the arcade remake.
It's a shame that the mission levels don't hold up particularly amazing anymore though.

Those multiplayer bots though... they're still some of the best in the biz. Holy shit.

I always seemed to play with the same dedicated set of sims:

a Mr Blonde Dark VengeSim (Ping him by mistake, pay the price)
a dataDyne Bodyguard Perfect [Kami]KazeSim
a Daniel Carrington Perfect PeaceSim (enjoy your slaps. Turns into a Gun Pinata)
a dataDyne Sniper Dark JudgeSim (a purple Judge Dredd of sorts)
etc...

Good times.

I played the shit out of this until CE LANs were a thing, basically

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The sims in PD were the best thing about the game. I played hundreds of hours against them.

jem0208

ZB Reach DMR was legit, especially in that Classic playlist on Forge maps. Best playlist in the game, then it disappeared.

A self aware jem is a dangerous jem.

Nevermind.. you are the worst.

You definitely missed out. It's still one of the best FPS games made to date, imo.

It's a bit before my time really. The first real game I played was CE on the PC then I bought an Xbox on the release of H2.

Honestly, I didn't even know of the N64 or the Gamecube etc. I was in an internet-less bubble (we had internet, I just didn't use it) where the only console me and all my friends had was an Xbox (and the odd PS2, but they sucked because they didn't have Halo). I also kinda preferred playing on the PC; I just needed an Xbox for Halo and Timesplitters 2.

Also Unreal Championship 2004, I got insanely good at insta-gib on that game. I would play bot matches for hours and hours. That game was so good.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I had Timesplitters 2 on Gamecube. Never liked it much. Halo ruined all other FPSs for me for a looooong time.

CliQ

I will say one thing I would like to see changed in halo is the announcer for ctf. It can be confusing when your team grabs the flag because he just says "flag taken" and sometimes I think my flag has been taken. Usually happens in big team but it does throw me off for a second. Going back to Halo CE where it's "blue team has the flag" would be nice or something like "enemy flag taken" and "your flag taken" would also work. Just don't make it "flag taken".

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly don't remember PDZ being so butt ugly, but I barely played it cause it was garbage.

Mix

Longest in CE is really fun. Should be voted on more often. People are dumb for not picking it when there are only SMG/AR starts, it actually almost lost to Standoff ARs.

RowdyReverb

When will that Xbox Rep system start to take effect? Surely habitual quitters should be in fewer matches by now if the system is working, right?

When will that Xbox Rep system start to take effect? Surely habitual quitters should be in fewer matches by now if the system is working, right?

Yeah, the system doesn't seem to be doing anything. A majority of my games still have quitters. In my view, they should use a Reach system. Quit once and you can't play for five minutes, quit twice and now you can play for 15 minutes and so on. Have it reset every 24 hours.

singhr1

The rep system doesn't necessarily keep players out of matchmaking but force them to matchmake with other players who also don't have good rep. So if you never see one, the system is working.

(It's also can be an illusion because I've never heard of someone who has dropped rep so just because we've never seen one doesn't mean its working.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom