• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madness

Sony can win a small victory with this Uncharted collection. Not only did they make the name almost identical to MCC, the 1080p/60fps, even having the UC4 beta (Halo 5 beta), they got one of the best studios to do it (Bluepoint). It'll most likely work flawlessly from day one, bringing even more criticism to what a mess the MCC was.

Sony can win a small victory with this Uncharted collection. Not only did they make the name almost identical to MCC, the 1080p/60fps, even having the UC4 beta (Halo 5 beta), they got one of the best studios to do it (Bluepoint). It'll most likely work flawlessly from day one, bringing even more criticism to what a mess the MCC was.

Over/under on them specifically calling it out as "working on Day 1" in their E3 presser?

To be honest, the campaign part of MCC worked. Yes there were some or still are some bugs here and there. But everything campaign was playable.

The Uncharted Collection will not have any kind of MP besides the U4 Beta access.

To be honest, the campaign part of MCC worked. Yes there were some or still are some bugs here and there. But everything campaign was playable.

The Uncharted Collection will not have any kind of MP besides the U4 Beta access.

Yeah that's going to be a key difference. 3 games worth of single player vs 4 games worth of single player and 5 versions of multiplayer. Not even apples and oranges. Rotten apples and Cuties.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Speaking of MCC campaign, I played Halo 4 splitscreen with my nephew this afternoon and holy shit at the framerate drops. Felt like a near constant 30-40.

Where's that sweet, consistent 60fps at? I need mah silkiness, mah smoothness.

Madness

Playable and launch ready are different concepts in my mind. I had the game crash on me 3 times while playing Halo 3 with a cousin. Playlists were unstable. In H2A, the screen would go black and not change back. In Halo 4 the campaign would literally crash and give you untracked build error. Even if Uncharted won't have multiplayer, I'm almost certain there is no way they'll have a fraction of the issues MCC had.

Yeah that's going to be a key difference. 3 games worth of single player vs 4 games worth of single player and 5 versions of multiplayer. Not even apples and oranges. Rotten apples and Cuties.

How does that change anything? If anything it's even more impressive that a single studio (Bluepoint) is going to do all 3 campaigns, the UI, and work on the backend to make sure it all works and tie in the UC4 beta together.

I feel like handwaving away the fact there is no multiplayer is just a cop out in my opinion. There were fundamental problems with almost every facet of MCC, from UI, party joining, campaigns, playlists, multiplayer, Forge etc.

Madness

Double post, but I just found it interesting. Sony should mention that we'll make sure our game works day one. It would be a small victory no matter what and really hammer in what a mess MCC was.

It's funny sometimes I try and empathize and say you know what they tried with MCC, it was this and that. And then other times, I just get upset at what a giant mess it all was and then get salty.

How does that change anything? If anything it's even more impressive that a single studio (Bluepoint) is going to do all 3 campaigns, the UI, and work on the backend to make sure it all works and tie in the UC4 beta together.

I feel like handwaving away the fact there is no multiplayer is just a cop out in my opinion. There were fundamental problems with almost every facet of MCC, from UI, party joining, campaigns, playlists, multiplayer, Forge etc.

again, it's three games' worth of single player versus every facet of Halo. Not saying that 343 and Co didn't fuck up royaly, and not saying that Naughty Dog/Blue point don't have a lot of hard work to make the collection a success. But comparing the two collections is stupid. Outside of both being a collection of older games, they could not be more different. And that's not even taking into consideration the multiplayer.

Double post, but I just found it interesting. Sony should mention that we'll make sure our game works day one. It would be a small victory no matter what and really hammer in what a mess MCC was.

It's funny sometimes I try and empathize and say you know what they tried with MCC, it was this and that. And then other times, I just get upset at what a giant mess it all was and then get salty.

Wishing for that is petty as fuck and you know it.

Madness

again, it's three games' worth of single player versus every facet of Halo. Not saying that 343 and Co didn't fuck up royaly, and not saying that Naughty Dog/Blue point don't have a lot of hard work to make the collection a success. But comparing the two collections is stupid. Outside of both being a collection of older games, they could not be more different. And that's not even taking into consideration the multiplayer.

Wishing for that is petty as fuck and you know it.

Wishing for what? I don't even own a PS4. Why wouldn't Sony mention it? You think it's just a coincidence that it's called Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection? Look at their E3 2013 show. This may seem petty to you, but it would go over extremely well with Sony fans and the press because everyone and their grandmother knows MCC was a mess.

HTupolev

Wishing for what? I don't even own a PS4. Why wouldn't Sony mention it? You think it's just a coincidence that it's called Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection? Look at their E3 2013 show. This may seem petty to you, but it would go over extremely well with Sony fans and the press because everyone and their grandmother knows MCC was a mess.
Moments like $299 and PS4 game sharing are attacking competitor's intentional policies. Bluntly calling out an execution stumble like MCC looks bad.

Of course it's not a coincidence. But if you think the similarities are for anything outside of PR, then that's your hangup. Naughty Dog/Sony want the comparison cause they want people talking. And it's working. But comparing the content between both collections? Not even close to being the same.

Clearly the PR is doing its job, cause you seem eager for them to slam 343. It may be incredibly deserved, but doing so for the benefit of another consumer product is petty.

Halo: Nightfall is now on Showtime On Demand, gearing up for reveal of the Halo Showtime show at E3?

Outside of the rumor (not sure if it was 100% confirmed) that Showtime won the rights for tv airing Halo television content, I think it's just a coincidence. I would love any kind of word that the Halo TV show is still in development and is making traction, but it's been almost two years and not even a peep. Finerd crossed.

Madness

I think the implication is that Madness thinks it would be smart for Sony to poke MS a bit, not that he'd take personal joy in it or anything.

Thanks Kittens you got what I was going for. That Sony would be smart to do something like that. Why would I take joy in this? When have you ever seen me gloat or insult the 343 staff?

Moments like $299 and PS4 game sharing are attacking competitor's intentional policies. Bluntly calling out an execution stumble like MCC looks bad.

Looks bad in terms of industry colleagues and to MS/Halo fans sure, but I wouldn't put it above them to get a shot like that in. You know Sony fans would love it. 'That Sony ether' so and so forth.

Of course it's not a coincidence. But if you think the similarities are for anything outside of PR, then that's your hangup. Naughty Dog/Sony want the comparison cause they want people talking. And it's working. But comparing the content between both collections? Not even close to being the same.

Clearly the PR is doing its job, cause you seem eager for them to slam 343. It may be incredibly deserved, but doing so for the benefit of another consumer product is petty.

Please point out to me where I said I clearly want this or am eager for it? I said it would be a small victory for Sony and they should do it, because it would go over well with their fans. You're the one being contradictory here, saying on the one hand it would be well deserved, but would be petty. Sort of a, while they'd be right in saying it, but it would be bad if they did.

sUmTHxK.gif

6wiIkk3.gif
Posted vids of these clips the other day, but just decided to make them into gifs. Based Halo 3 AR starts giving us the opportunity for variety! Thank you lovely playlist managers of Halo's past and present, you never cease to amaze me :]

#CustomGamesBrowser

EDIT:
Your avatar is quickly reaching Critical Logo Overload. Change course now before it implodes, taking this entire thread with it!
lol

Posted vids of these clips the other day, but just decided to make them into gifs. Based Halo 3 AR starts giving us the opportunity for variety! Thank you lovely playlist managers of Halo's past and present, you never cease to amaze me :]

#CustomGamesBrowser

Your avatar is quickly reaching Critical Logo Overload. Change course now before it implodes, taking this entire thread with it!

Please point out to me where I said I clearly want this or am eager for it? I said it would be a small victory for Sony and they should do it, because it would go over well with their fans. You're the one being contradictory here, saying on the one hand it would be well deserved, but would be petty. Sort of a, while they'd be right in saying it, but it would be bad if they did.

You didn't say it, it was my assumption based on tone and reading between the lines. Lolinternet and whatnot.

I'm saying criticism of MCC is deserved. A company taking shots so that they can sell a product is not. That's not contradictory. That's not buying into bullshit.

Halo 3 pistol gotta be bottom five all-time Halo weapon

just the saddest, slowest, ugliest, weakest little thing.

Good thing H5 has a decent one

abadguy

Banned

Calling it The Nathan Drake collection is kinda silly either way, was there an Uncharted game that he wasn't in? Also wasn't most of MCC problems in MP and this game is shipping without it? Also what if by chance something did go wrong with it. Wouldn't that petty comment come back to bite them in the ass? Maybe they should just ship the game and leave all the fanboy warrior shit to the forums.

Halo 3 pistol gotta be bottom five all-time Halo weapon

just the saddest, slowest, ugliest, weakest little thing.

Good thing H5 has a decent one
lmfaooo, it's so adorable how weak that little thing is.. in a terrible, fugly way

just the wackest, sawftest, shittiest, disgracefulest, doodooest little thing
I can't believe after CE and 2, we got 3. Makes no sense.
Fixed for simpler, yet broader accuracy. Halo 3 was the most offensive title in the series, not Reach or Halo 4. At least with those games design decisions can be explained and to an extent understood (Bungie's F U on their way out
<3
, testing systems for Destiny, etc. -- Halo 4 because of 343's new studio situation and "have to fall before learning to walk"), but Halo 3 was the antithesis to what fans wanted after 3 years of CE and 3 years of Halo 2.

Fuchsdh

Outside of the rumor (not sure if it was 100% confirmed) that Showtime won the rights for tv airing Halo television content, I think it's just a coincidence. I would love any kind of word that the Halo TV show is still in development and is making traction, but it's been almost two years and not even a peep. Finerd crossed.

I feel like we would have heard one way or another if the Spielberg-produced stuff was either dead or progressing heavily. It was pretty obvious that when they made the announcement back in 2013 that the ink was basically just drying, o it's not surprising it would take a while to spin up... but by this point you think they would at least be filming and we would have gotten leaks or set pictures or something.

I feel like we would have heard one way or another if the Spielberg-produced stuff was either dead or progressing heavily. It was pretty obvious that when they made the announcement back in 2013 that the ink was basically just drying, o it's not surprising it would take a while to spin up... but by this point you think they would at least be filming and we would have gotten leaks or set pictures or something.

At the very least, I would have expected the casting sheets for characters with fake names but descriptions that tell us exactly who they are. We haven't heard a peep.

What are even the bottom 5 weapons for Halo? I used to think the H2 Magnum was ass but after playing 2 and 3 back to back on Team Slayer...hell the H2 Magnum is LEAGUES better than that dinky ass H3 one. I even remember the H3 one being pretty okish during the beta all those years ago.

Seeing that the H3 carbine sucks really sucks cuz the covie carbine is my favorite weapon in the series.

Welfare

Welfare's Halo MCC Adventures and Shenanigans

First match of the day, and it's Halo 3 on Avalanche. Of course, Halo 3 has to fuck me over.

Next match goes a bit better. 1 Bomb Assault on Remnant. First this little glitch happens (continues past the clip), and then I get an alright Triple amd an instant refil on Beam Rifle, followed by another alright Triple.

Next match was CE Infinity. Had some really fun moments, like this Banshee "Duel". It was fun to watch, but I had to end it. Of course though, with my luck, something had to fuck up. He ran into it, I swear!

Couple matches later, and I end up in Halo 4 on Exile. Match was pretty good, except for the fact my Incinerator Cannon fired a dud.

Only notable event from the next match, CE Danger Canyon, was my juggled Rockets getting eaten by a Covie Crate.

Then for the final match of the day, CE Sidewinder, was probably the best. Clip didn't record, but I taught a random to grenade push the opposite teams Camo and OS to our side. Then I had gone through the Great Warthog escape of 2015 with enemy Flag in tow. However, yet again, I pick a dud Plasma. Pretty pissed off at that point.

Jesus that was longer than I thought. Might do this again, hopefully with a fixed CE.

lmfaooo, it's so adorable how weak that little thing is.. in a terrible, fugly way

just the wackest, sawftest, shittiest, disgracefulest, doodooest little thing

Fixed for simpler, yet broader accuracy. Halo 3 was the most offensive title in the series, not Reach or Halo 4. At least with those games design decisions can be explained and to an extent understood (Bungie's F U on their way out
<3
, testing systems for Destiny, etc. -- Halo 4 because of 343's new studio situation and "have to fall before learning to walk"), but Halo 3 was the antithesis to what fans wanted after 3 years of CE and 3 years of Halo 2.

Riddle me this, why is 3 so popular amongst the bunch then.

What are even the bottom 5 weapons for Halo? I used to think the H2 Magnum was ass but after playing 2 and 3 back to back on Team Slayer...hell the H2 Magnum is LEAGUES better than that dinky ass H3 one. I even remember the H3 one being pretty okish during the beta all those years ago.

Seeing that the H3 carbine sucks really sucks cuz the covie carbine is my favorite weapon in the series.

H1 AR, H2 SMG, H3 AR, Reach AR, H4 AR.

If there was an H2 AR, that'd probably end up being worse than the SMG. H5 is probably the first time the gun has been worth having, let alone picking up.

Nowise10

I really wish that in Halo 5, the blind skull only removed your HUD, and left your weapon model on. It looks so much better holding a weapon, and still provides the same challenge. I still feel like a Spartan, rather then just a floating camera.

FyreWulff

In terms of MP design, outside of equipment Halo 3 was pretty much Halo 2 MP but with everyone on the map instead of in the skybox.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment

The MCC is on an entirely different scale than the UC collection in both terms of scope and complexity. MCC had to do more campaigns, have a workable UI, multiple versions of multiplayer that were cross generational as well, AND tie that into the Halo 5 Arena beta along with the Halo 2: Anniversary multiplayer and remade maps as opposed to the UC collection which will just have the singleplayer component and the UC4 multiplayer beta.

With that said, that shouldn't excuse the problems the MCC has had, but collections like the UC Collection have all been done before while the MCC was literally something unique as far as what it was hoping to accomplish. Also, having multiple studios working together to bring something together like the MCC is way more complex than a single studio handling it as well.

It would have been far better if Microsoft had just released all the Halo campaigns (1, 2, 3, 4, ODST, and Reach) with the Halo 5: Arena beta and maybe Halo 2: Anniversary multiplayer (but maybe expand upon it more than what it currently is since that would be its only true multiplayer mode) rather than try to incorporate all the multiplayer modes of every game into one collection (this was probably the most complex and risky thing to do with such a collection).

Because Halo 2 gave birth to XBL multiplayer
(RIP Mech Assault, Whacked!, etc.)
with its matchmaking and Halo 3 was a continuation of that. The franchise was 6 years in at that point, millions of fans stronger, millions of dollars richer.

Halo 3 was naturally going to be the most popular game between the first two because of how wildly successful Halo had become.

EDIT:
Welfare's Halo MCC Adventures and Shenanigans
Nice lol, I enjoyed reading/watching.

Tales from HaloGAF

daedalius

Poor taste

How anyone can favorite the game with the slot machine BR, terrible weapon sandbox, awful aim acceleration, molasses speed, etc etc

Oh well, it definitely seems like it's the most popular in the collection! I'm miserable in btb because of it.

I can still enjoy Halo 3, but after putting a number of hours into every game, single and multiplayer in this collection, I came to the conclusion that Halo 3 really is the weakest of the games gunplay wise. Say what you want about H2A and H4's faults, they still feel snappy and quick. It feels like a halo game. Even HCE with its heavy weight feels quick still. 3 just feels...off. I can't describe why, just the movement alone doesn't feel right. Halo 3 ODST for some reason feels better to me but that has no multiplayer so I can't really compare there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom