• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

jem0208

Will you guys make it harder to reach this ranks?

Was a bit boring in the beta. Play 10 Games with good people and you were guaranteed semi-pro or pro... Thats not what i want from a ranking system.
I presume you're talking about the placement matches? Because there's no way you only played 10 matches to rank up loads. Ranking was a grind.

Just watched all 4 episodes of Sprint. Who wants to work in this industry man? Those guys spent months thinking about making that E3 demo, all that time worrying about lighting, sky boxes, how FlipYap the 'I regret everything' Grunt came too soon, and all for what? So a bunch of nerds could say hey that doesn't look all that impressive?

I mean even I'm giving grief for ADS and those guys are literally just spending days deciding how much the ammo counter should protrude on a plasma caster etc. Damn.

It's a job and they are paid professionals

It's no different to the love and care people put into less creative jobs - they just happen to be lucky to work on something they are passionate about

The fact is no matter how hard they work sometimes those guys make really bad decisions - I don't mean that to be nasty - but I bet the master chief collection was a labour of love for a whole bunch of people and yet as a fan no matter how much love went into parts of it - I am very dissapointed in the product as a whole

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
quinnmns5a.gif

It's Conan's GAF account.

Quinn told us that while he was off stage watching the filming Conan was just screaming Quinn's name. Quinn didn't know wtf was going on or if he was allowed to go onstage. The crew was just filming away like they normally do. So eventually Quinn just said screw it and went up to Conan, and then was asked to play for him lol.

Quinn told us that while he was off stage watching the filming Conan was just screaming Quinn's name. Quinn didn't know wtf was going on or if he was allowed to go onstage. The crew was just filming away like they normally do. So eventually Quinn just said screw it and went up to Conan, and then was asked to play for him lol.

Haha that's so great.

I bet Quinn's adrenaline was kicking in like crazy. Was probably exciting lol

AlStrong

Awesome. :D

Watching Flamesword's warzone gameplay, I still absolutely despise the DMR range.

Warzone of all modes, against a competent team will be a sniper/dmr fest no doubt.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Watching Flamesword's warzone gameplay, I still absolutely despise the DMR range.

Warzone of all modes, against a competent team will be a sniper/dmr fest no doubt.
Yeah, I'm definitely worried about that. Halo 4 cross map ping fest all over again.

Haruko

from /r/halo:

The DMR's inner struggle over which version of ADS to use:
http://i.imgur.com/KG1oXzW.gifv

Personally I think the first one (the current intended one, yeah?) is pretty good, and feels similar enough to the scopes of old.

The second one seems to be the ADS from the beta, but with the actual zoom-in not working.

Well, maybe. There are a lot of choke points where BR will probably be a better choice. However, I see your point man. At least it's not a starting weapon choice anymore in arena gametypes =)

Remember when they brought Valhalla back in Halo 4 and it was just dudes getting pinged by 3x scope and totally killed the experience

good times, the DMR

Glass

from /r/halo:

The DMR's inner struggle over which version of ADS to use:
http://i.imgur.com/KG1oXzW.gifv

Personally I think the first one (the current intended one, yeah?) is pretty good, and feels similar enough to the scopes of old.

The second one seems to be the ADS from the beta, but with the actual zoom-in not working.

Love the new zoom for the DMR, it's a mix of the old style zoom with just a hint of the physical scope itself left over from the beta.

Well, maybe. There are a lot of choke points where BR will probably be a better choice. However, I see your point man. At least it's not a starting weapon choice anymore in arena gametypes =)

I'm all for promoting movement in Halo you see.

If you can trap an enemy team in their base, what hope do they have in using their BRs, That warzone map seems very BR unfriendly if the other team is pinging you, the way to balance this out short of removing those ranged precision weapons is map design.

Will Warzone's design allow for a balance of all ranges? The maps will need to be wide open to allow vehicle play, so restricting the whole play space isn't an option.

I'm all for promoting movement in Halo you see.

If you can trap an enemy team in their base, what hope do they have in using their BRs, That warzone map seems very BR unfriendly if the other team is pinging you, the way to balance this out short of removing those ranged precision weapons is map design.

Will Warzone's design allow for a balance of all ranges? The maps will need to be wide open to allow vehicle play, so restricting the whole play space isn't an option.

Yeah I dunno. I see your point. Perhaps that will become the primary DMR Playlist. Something I'm noticing from the gameplay is that getting PVP kills seems to earn you FAR less points than killing enemy AI so that might help balance it out. I just need to spend a few hours with it and see for myself. I'm not betting on warzone being remotely balanced anyways.

From what I can see, every 3 seconds or so, you get a capture point(s). So if you hold two bases, you get 2 points, 1 base = 1 point, 3 bases = 3 points. Slowly ticks up like Battlefield. Killing a regular enemy nets you 1 point. But the biggest boon is definitely the AI, which can go from +25 to +200. Once those big AI bosses, come out, drop everything and focus on him cuz that's a huge point swing.

Of course the other thing to worry about is if they cap all the bases and they come in for your core, but eh

RowdyReverb

I was just thinking about how hilarious it would be to coordinate with your party in Warzone to spawn 6+ Banshees at once and dominate the skies. Or do you think they put a cap on how many vehicles may be in play at a time?

Yeah the AI bosses being worth 200 points is huge. I imagine the final game of Warzone could end up playing quite differently to what we've seen recorded from E3, once everyone catches on to that. Maybe we're more likely to see large portions of the two teams clashing over the bosses.
That would be playing the objective though, which can be hit or miss. I'm also curious to see how it plays out after people have played the game for a while.

Glass

Yeah the AI bosses being worth 200 points is huge. I imagine the final game of Warzone could end up playing quite differently to what we've seen recorded from E3, once everyone catches on to that. Maybe we're more likely to see large portions of the two teams clashing over the bosses.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
I think I've mentioned this before but the AI difficulty was tuned specifically to be a bit easier for our E3 demo. Expect more challenging AI foes in the final game.

Fuchsdh

The actual metagame of Warzone and how it evolves will be interesting. I expect a lot of boss camping + waiting for another team to whittle it down and then try and sneak in and steal it at the last minute.

I need to vent:

I have an extremely low tolerance for bad players. Trying to play team doubles. It seems like the majority of players are void of any logic or reason and just hold forward and pump the trigger. How do they enjoy the game playing like idiots and getting slaughtered over and over knowing they are dead weight? Why are gamers so against putting effort into their hobby? I just don't get it. I try helping them by calmly encouraging them and calling out simple strats to secure a win, but they would rather run at the enemy and miss all their shots. To make matters worse they love throwing nades at you to "help you."

God bless em.

jem0208

I need to vent:

I have an extremely low tolerance for bad players. Trying to play team doubles. It seems like the majority of players are void of any logic or reason and just hold forward and pump the trigger. How do they enjoy the game playing like idiots and getting slaughtered over and over knowing they are dead weight? Why are gamers so against putting effort into their hobby? I just don't get it. I try helping them by calmly encouraging them and calling out simple strats to secure a win, but they would rather run at the enemy and miss all their shots. To make matters worse they love throwing nades at you to "help you."

God bless em.

Don't ever play doubles on your own, it's just asking for trouble, it really is.

RowdyReverb

I need to vent:

God bless em.
I think this type of player tends to forget about how their deaths impact chances of victory and instead they focus purely on attacking the other team. They get their kicks from getting kills, and their joy is not diminished by having to respawn or even losing the match. For some, it's just more fun to play the game than it is to win it, as frustrating as that is for the rest of us who play to win the game.

People who are frustrated by these players like to blame CoD and modern shooters for causing this by rewarding individual performance, but I think that IW had the insight that lots of people play that way anyway, so incentivizing it would hook those players.

Blueblur1

Right now I think the DMR scope should be something that's a cross between the beta scope, with part of the screen obstructed, and the current scope, which is larger on-screen.

Don't ever play doubles on your own, it's just asking for trouble, it really is.

Yeah, you would think that only having one random player would lessen your worries, but I guess not. The funny thing is, I don't care if you suck. It's just the obvious lack of effort and thought in the way people play.

I think this type of player tends to forget about how their deaths impact chances of victory and instead they focus purely on attacking the other team. They get their kicks from getting kills, and their joy is not diminished by having to respawn or even losing the match. For some, it's just more fun to play the game than it is to win it, as frustrating as that is for the rest of us who play to win the game.

People who are frustrated by these players like to blame CoD and modern shooters for causing this by rewarding individual performance, but I think that IW had the insight that lots of people play that way anyway, so incentivizing it would hook those players.

Yeah I hear ya. It's like driving on the highway to me. Every time you drive, you are bewildered at how careless the average person seems to be. It's just disappointing.

Playing Team Doubles by myself may be the worst experience I've ever had gaming.

Its pretty bad. Not as bad as solo queuing in CSGO, but it comes close. Oh well.

'Relevance' is such a tricksy word. It is very handy for people trying to capture some apparent zeitgeist, but it values what is newly popular over anything else, as though the others are irrelevant to gaming. You can see the point, but misses too much for me. Smells of fashion, me no likey.

Madness

...and based on our two sessions in the mode during E3, it's exactly what Halo multiplayer needed.

These are the same guys who will play MP for a few days in early October, give their review score about how it's the best/worst and then move on never to touch the game again. This guy is no different from the EGM, Metro.uk reviewers.

It's interesting though that he says no to the microtransactions when they are the sole reason for the first time we won't have to purchase a single map pack for money.

Haruko

It's interesting though that he says no to the microtransactions when they are the sole reason for the first time we won't have to purchase a single map pack for money.

Yep. So many people don't bother to research WHAT the microtransactions actually affect, or WHY we are getting them. They just see the word and overreact.

Yeah, we know that some games have scummy microtransaction systems (or bad DLC/season pass deals). But you should still take the time to read and understand how they are being used for a given game before rushing to your pitchfork and torch shed.

Madness

Yep. So many people don't bother to research WHAT the microtransactions actually affect, or WHY we are getting them. They just see the word and overreact.

Yeah, we know that some games have scummy microtransaction systems (or bad DLC/season pass deals). But you should still take the time to read and understand how they are being used for a given game before rushing to your pitchfork and torch shed.

I did the same sort of thing only because that's what you think when you hear micro-transactions, and people are describing it at p2w on gaming side and what not. But this guy is a journalist who played the game at E3, is there no one there to explain to him how the REQ system actually works? Or what the word relevance means? Just seems very clickbait title and article.

jelly

Sprint episodes were good. Tough jobs. Liked seeing them edit things then and there. Sound station was crazy, only he knows how that works.

Still don't know what they were thinking with that E3 level. You don't have to show a vertical slice of new stuff together. Something exciting is all you needed with a new thing here and there, maybe not even and that level segment was terribly boring, there was nothing else on the table from the whole campaign, odd. Maybe because of time constraints and work load, linear level was the way to go. i really hope the rest of the game is much better. The oh, that's the Halo 5 campaign, yeah not good feelings was a sucker punch to me. Fingers crossed they pull a rabbit out the hat in the end.

War Zone, need to see some more, not that exciting for me yet. A bit clinical and underwhelming in encounters, like it's still a simulation in that Infinity games or whatever backstory they lumped in there and fodder as a strict distraction. It feels rigged rather than shit hitting the fan with a push and pull from each side in a War Zone. Still, time to go and more content to see.

Rooster Teeth interview with the Fathom Gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdLc3smbH8o

Around 13:20 you see the OS being used.

Great animation, it takes a second.

God damn, this map and game looks so fucking good.

edit: fuck you jem

see that one too? :p

OH MY GOSH. That map looks amazing! I love all the little ledges to ninja people and play mind games. That is one of my favorite things about Halo, this just got me pumped. And that buffed pistol looks sooo good. Man, it feels good to be hyped for a Halo game.

I'm sure you're not familiar with the word 'relevance', seeming as you're originally from Scotland.

#REKT

My best friends are Scottish
Does your racism know no bounds?
LOL
Rooster Teeth interview with the Fathom Gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdLc3smbH8o

Around 13:20 you see the OS being used.

Great animation, it takes a second.

God damn, this map and game looks so fucking good.

edit: fuck you jem

see that one too? :p
Ohh nice thanks for posting this!

Meh. Warzone. Meh.
Also, the Sprint shows quite a lot yeah. But just because of that doesn't mean that devs are immune to criticism or people won't agree with some asinime decisions.

I think your are correct. I mean look at this:

My butt is clenched throughout the whole game trying to keep my dude alive. Thankfully he chose to hide with a plasma rifle half the game... -_-

posts like these remind me why I liked rumble pit and lone wolves. Cant trust randies to do a thing.

jem0208

OH MY GOSH. That map looks amazing! I love all the little ledges to ninja people and play mind games. That is one of my favorite things about Halo, this just got me pumped. And that buffed pistol looks sooo good. Man, it feels good to be hyped for a Halo game.

Same, I love duking people, it's one of my favourite parts of Halo multiplayer. All those nooks and ledges look fantastic for creative movement.

I especially liked that part with the shotgun slide underneath that small gap.

I wonder how the Fathom remix will change the aesthetic up (assuming there is one). I think it'd be cool to see a remix akin to the Truth/Regret style where you're playing in a semi-destroyed version of Fathom. Maybe it could be partly flooded?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom