• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

jelly

Those ledges and protruding parts of the level look ace for getting around, very slick jumps to different places and getting the jump on people.

Same, I love duking people, it's one of my favourite parts of Halo multiplayer. All those nooks and ledges look fantastic for creative movement.

I especially liked that part with the shotgun slide underneath that small gap.

I wonder how the Fathom remix will change the aesthetic up (assuming there is one). I think it'd be cool to see a remix akin to the Truth/Regret style where you're playing in a semi-destroyed version of Fathom. Maybe it could be partly flooded?

Yeah, that was pretty awesome.

Anyone know if we get campaign theater back for Halo 5? It was sorely missing in 4.

Also, I think I preferred the old DMR scope because now its going to be OP as hell.

Rooster Teeth interview with the Fathom Gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdLc3smbH8o

Around 13:20 you see the OS being used.

Great animation, it takes a second.

God damn, this map and game looks so fucking good.

edit: fuck you jem

see that one too? :p

Game does indeed look brilliant. Ground pound sounds bad on paper but is so damn satisfying in actuality. My only concern is that map looks a little too similar aesthetically to empire (I think it was called) and I'm not a huge fan of dark levels either.

RE: the DMR. It is looking overpowered. They made the right decision in revising the scope though; its beta incarnation was inelegant and awkward and not befitting of a game of Halo's calibre. As ever, the way to balance it is to reduce its scope to 2x and/or reduce the aim assist. DMR pinging basically annulled half the fun of BTB in Reach and Halo 4; here's hoping it doesn't hurt 5's mode to the same degree.

P.S DMR's shouldn't destroy vehicles with the ease they did in Reach and 4 too.

Fathom looks like a blast, so glad they focused on arena maps for 5. All the little jumps you can do look great seems like there's a lot to master. I wonder what the remix of Fathom will be like, seems like a hard one to do.

Madness

I haven't seen the new video, and I asked a couple pages back, but is the faux flinch gone? How your screen would jerk and shake when being shot at, making it very disorienting to fire back?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Meh. Warzone. Meh.
Also, the Sprint shows quite a lot yeah. But just because of that doesn't mean that devs are immune to criticism or people won't agree with some asinime decisions.
Keep fightin' that angry toddler fight. 👌

RowdyReverb

Does Warzone adhere to the same movement characteristics as Arena? For example, sprint speed was toned down after the arena beta, but it might still be nice to have that speed in a big open mode like Warzone.

Does Warzone adhere to the same movement characteristics as Arena? For example, sprint speed was toned down after the arena beta, but it might still be nice to have that speed in a big open mode like Warzone.

it would probably be for the best to keep everything across the board as consistent as possible.

Keep fightin' that angry toddler fight. 👌

giphy.gif

I'm of the opinion that Raganarok + DMR > Valhalla + BR

We have sprint, thruster, and faster, more fluid movement in general, so I don't think the DMR will be that much of an issue in BTB/Warzone. I never really saw these issues with pinging and locking people down. If your entire team gets locked down in an 8v8 or 12v12, perhaps you deserve to lose and the enemy team applauded, no? Of course, could be a situation where you get teamed with randoms who aren't that great against a full team working together, but is that really a fair example to be using?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Elzar give me you number so I can text you too.

I'll also accept a link to your Adult Friend Finder page.

I never thought I'd see the two people who've brought me the most comical Halo experiences in my whole life the same room together: Burnie Burns and Kevin Franklin.

Madness

Yesterday I was a bit SLRPy with my comments. I'm still upset about MCC, what happened, and yeah, despite the best of intentions, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. We should all be critical of decisions.

I don't know, I had just seen the Sprint series, which I really enjoy, and it was just clicking like man, what am I really arguing about at times, getting angry because so and so didn't happen, how could they miss it. And then you just see the time and effort that goes in. The sound guy spending hours rubbing magnets to create a sound that I probably wouldn't even think about for more than a second etc.

Madness

On an unrelated note, at Microsoft Store, you can trade in any 5 games (Xbox 360,PS3) to get $5 per game off of a pre-order for Xbox One. So that means upto $25 off Halo 5, Gears Ultimate, Tomb Raider whatever. Plus they're giving you $10 online credit for your MS account apparently as well. Could be good way to get Halo 5 for $35 or Gears Ultimate for $15 if you want. Just use old junk games like Fifa 08, NHL etc. Can't be duplicate games

Hulud

It's gonna be my idea. Halo Arena, the stripped-down, perkless, loadoutless, armor abilityless, downloadable only, MP-only, $20/30 halo game of my dreams.

Guys I predicted Arena
kinda
way back in Jan. 2014. I was pretty close. 343 should just hire me I guess. I'm pretty ahead of the curve.

Guys I predicted Arena
kinda
way back in Jan. 2014. I was pretty close. 343 should just hire me I guess. I'm pretty ahead of the curve.

called Arena and War Zone by name in March 2013, bruv

What if Halo's multiplayer got divided into three parts in the future: Arena, War Zone, and Action Sack? (names subject to change)

Arena focuses on tighter-knit skirmishes with Quake-meets-CE-style gameplay. The largest possible maps available would be 8v8 but be closer to Halo 4 levels of big team maps rather than larger, more open Halo 3-style ones. All Arena games are ranked...

War Zone focuses on larger-scale, Battlefield-style combat. Ranges from 8v8 to 16v16 party sizes on gigantic maps due to the generational leap. These matches are social...

Action Sack has likewise social gametypes with anywhere between 1v1-16v16 players. Players are given access to Megalo with a comprehensive gametype editor. Action Sack, uniquely, would allow players to find matches using something resembling a Custom Game Browser...

WAHRER STAHP

Yesterday I was a bit SLRPy with my comments. I'm still upset about MCC, what happened, and yeah, despite the best of intentions, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. We should all be critical of decisions.

I don't know, I had just seen the Sprint series, which I really enjoy, and it was just clicking like man, what am I really arguing about at times, getting angry because so and so didn't happen, how could they miss it. And then you just see the time and effort that goes in. The sound guy spending hours rubbing magnets to create a sound that I probably wouldn't even think about for more than a second etc.

It's okay man. We forgive you for being appreciative and empathetic towards hard working people ;)

I really wish the whole resentful and spiteful negative Nancy attitude wasn't considered "cool" around here by some folks. They act as though saying something positive and joyful is "slrping" or "sucking up." As if positive feedback isn't allowed to coexist with constructive criticism.

I'm glad everyone agrees to stop that childish nonsense. Im proud of you all.

I need to vent:

I have an extremely low tolerance for bad players. Trying to play team doubles. It seems like the majority of players are void of any logic or reason and just hold forward and pump the trigger. How do they enjoy the game playing like idiots and getting slaughtered over and over knowing they are dead weight? Why are gamers so against putting effort into their hobby? I just don't get it. I try helping them by calmly encouraging them and calling out simple strats to secure a win, but they would rather run at the enemy and miss all their shots. To make matters worse they love throwing nades at you to "help you."

God bless em.

I sometimes wonder the same thing in H4 when half my teammates use AR in their load outs, but whatever I mute everyone and just play my game.

CliQ

I'm of the opinion that Raganarok + DMR > Valhalla + BR

We have sprint, thruster, and faster, more fluid movement in general, so I don't think the DMR will be that much of an issue in BTB/Warzone. I never really saw these issues with pinging and locking people down. If your entire team gets locked down in an 8v8 or 12v12, perhaps you deserve to lose and the enemy team applauded, no? Of course, could be a situation where you get teamed with randoms who aren't that great against a full team working together, but is that really a fair example to be using?

Pretty much this. I don't see why we can't have a long range rifle on big maps with large numbers of people. Some people prefer (myself included) long range combat.

Blueblur1

I'm looking forward to seeing the game again with another layer of polish or two. It definitely looks rough right now but I'm hoping by this fall the UI, sound effects, scopes and medals will be looking much better. Especially the medals; they're super simple and I hope by launch they look a little nicer and are a little bit more uniform.

RowdyReverb

On an unrelated note, at Microsoft Store, you can trade in any 5 games (Xbox 360,PS3) to get $5 per game off of a pre-order for Xbox One. So that means upto $25 off Halo 5, Gears Ultimate, Tomb Raider whatever. Plus they're giving you $10 online credit for your MS account apparently as well. Could be good way to get Halo 5 for $35 or Gears Ultimate for $15 if you want. Just use old junk games like Fifa 08, NHL etc. Can't be duplicate games
Thanks for the tip. Do you know how long the promotion will run?

TheOddOne

Quinn told us that while he was off stage watching the filming Conan was just screaming Quinn's name. Quinn didn't know wtf was going on or if he was allowed to go onstage. The crew was just filming away like they normally do. So eventually Quinn just said screw it and went up to Conan, and then was asked to play for him lol.
Amazing.

And this is why Warzone sounds like poop. They were taking ideas from this kid all along. Yeesh 343i.

"Actually, we were considering adding some string editing capabilities to Forge that would have improved it on a fundamental level, but somewhere in the pipeline we decided to allocate that time elsewhere. On an unrelated note, here's the revisited suite of Promethean enemy units, such as the Hacker"

dUkE2N7.gif

Wahrer, prophet of regret

Kidding, warzone looks great to me :p

Prophet of Good Game Design

called Arena and War Zone by name in March 2013, bruv
Went through a couple pages and stumbled upon this lol:
I don't know why you CE purists haven't left the franchise yet. We're never gonna get another Halo game like CE. It dealt with too much physics fuckery (the weapons being naded and flying across the map) the 3 shot pistol is too fast a kill time for Halo and reducing auto aim will increase noob frustration. That stuff was awesome and I miss it. My first Halo was Halo on the PC, and it was SO empowering to know that you and your pistol could take on the world if you had the skill. Halo PC even had honor rules that said good "honorable" players never used Rockets/Fuel Rod or Vehicles. That's because a good player could go into an 8 on 8 BTB match with banshees, scorpions, and hogs everywhere and still come out on top by only using the pistol. I miss that, but its not coming back.

It's a different time now. I'm already beginning to accept Halo will never go back to equal starts and no random bullshit like in 2 and 3.
Give it another several years of what you're experiencing now with the franchise and you'll understand. I can't quit Halo when Halo is the closest thing to feeling Halo lol
There was some fervent rage on the News thread where it was announced, but overall, I think most of HaloGAF are bigger Halo 2 and 3 fans than they are of CE. So no one really cared, and the people that loved CE back in the day, but don't really game anymore or stopped playing console shooters, probably couldn't care less. Halo CE MP is just some mystical relic of the past that won't work in today's gaming landscape, and that fact is exactly what is wrong with the present gaming landscape.
Hopefully this new generation of hardware resets that shitty landscape though. Now's the chance to do it, 343 can't afford to mess this up again...
yes they can because people will buy Halo anyway
Does it make sense now? And Booshka was replying to how there wasn't much outrage on GAF over CEA having Reach DLC maps instead of CE multiplayer.

belushy

Banned

Fathom looks like the best map layout wise so far. I liked the clamber and jump spots as well as the slide spot. OS animation also isn't as bad as it was described so I'm happy about that.

Though 343, where the heck are the asymmetrical arena maps???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom