• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madness

During the scene with
Lasky, Halsey and Palmer we saw Roland yelling at them, sign of rampancy?

Probably more just comedic/emotional acting by him. The AI post Halo 3 supposedly got more advanced. Auntie Dot in Reach was very robotic and humorless, then we see Cortana and Roland in Spartan Ops would do dumb stuff like 'Ahhhhh Prometheans"...

Is it me or is that Plasma Caster just another version of the Sticky Detonator?

It's basically Funk's dream weapon: standard fire is Pro Pipe with a tinge of Halo 2 Brute Shot, alt-fire is Tek Bow + Sticky Det + Plasma Launcher. It just needs a grenade launcher attachment that fires grenades that explode into Keyes Magnum rounds and it'll be all he ever needs.

Probably more just comedic/emotional acting by him. The AI post Halo 3 supposedly got more advanced. Auntie Dot in Reach was very robotic and humorless, then we see Cortana and Roland in Spartan Ops would do dumb stuff like 'Ahhhhh Prometheans"...

Makes sense, plus
Roland isn't really a character worth using the Rampancy trick.

It's basically Funk's dream weapon: standard fire is Pro Pipe with a tinge of Halo 2 Brute Shot, alt-fire is Tek Bow + Sticky Det + Plasma Launcher. It just needs a grenade launcher attachment that fires grenades that explode into Keyes Magnum rounds and it'll be all he ever needs.
Can't bounce it around walls and set up traps for remote detonation, so the mind games are limited, but it still looks like a fun weapon to use. I'm excited for it.

Still waiting for that grenade though..

Can't bounce it around walls and set up traps for remote detonation, so the mind games are limited, but it still looks like a fun weapon to use. I'm excited for it.

Still waiting for that grenade though..

Maybe it'll still be on a timed detonation in alt-fire even if it doesn't hit its target?

Fuchsdh

While it doesn't have the arrow on the blips, there's more transparency when they are on a different elevation.

I am apparently in a minority because while I liked the addition of elevation to the motion tracker, I thought Reach's approach was better than just sticking arrows pointing up or down. Was a lot easier to read "he's below, he's above" when he dots were clearly different.

One thing that I'd really like to see is a return to carrying large amounts of ammuition. From watching videos, it doesn't look like it's going to happen, but after replaying, CE, that extra ammuition comes in handy. I've felt 2 through 4 have tied your hands in terms of ammo, especially on higher difficulties.

Ramirez

I am apparently in a minority because while I liked the addition of elevation to the motion tracker, I thought Reach's approach was better than just sticking arrows pointing up or down. Was a lot easier to read "he's below, he's above" when he dots were clearly different.

Elevation radar might as well put waypoints over everyone's head, it's complete trash.

wwm0nkey

Installed Windows 10 and tested out streaming......works REALLY well! Doesn't look amazing, but functionally its great! Was able to play MCC pretty well with a wired connection

Also Windows 10 is a big improvement over 8/8.1

FyreWulff

One thing that I'd really like to see is a return to carrying large amounts of ammuition. From watching videos, it doesn't look like it's going to happen, but after replaying, CE, that extra ammuition comes in handy. I've felt 2 through 4 have tied your hands in terms of ammo, especially on higher difficulties.

Halo 1 is like Chief is pulling a wagon of bullets behind him for the AR.

CliQ

You think forge will have weather effects? Would love to see an infection gametype with 24 people at night during a thunderstorm with low visibility. When lightning strikes it lights up the sky and you can see the battlefield for a brief moment. That would be pretty cool.

rrc1594

OMG are people arguing that 343 should of made Halo 5 30fps and not 60fps. Have they not played Halo in 60fps! Have they not played any shooter in 60fps!

Mix

You think forge will have weather effects? Would love to see an infection gametype with 24 people at night during a thunderstorm with low visibility. When lightning strikes it lights up the sky and you can see the battlefield for a brief moment. That would be pretty cool.

Jesus man, I really want weather effects, I feel like that would be a good example of them retooling forge like they keep saying.

MCC online co op is still broken.

Friend I play MM with, open nat, zero connections issues, and we have successfully launched a H2 campaign level 3 out of 50+ tries.

CliQ

Jesus man, I really want weather effects, I feel like that would be a good example of them retooling forge like they keep saying.

I brought this up a while back but will say it again since it relevant. I would like to be able to forge water into maps. I don't like the way the implement it now. They could do like a large, medium, small, and thin block of water and just let us place it anywhere. An added bonus would be able to select it and say this is a kill volume. Going a bit deeper it would be cool if you could select individual pieces and assign it to be a kill volume so when players stand on that piece it will kill them. Could make for interesting gametypes.

I brought this up a while back but will say it again since it relevant. I would like to be able to forge water into maps. I don't like the way the implement it now. They could do like a large, medium, small, and thin block of water and just let us place it anywhere. An added bonus would be able to select it and say this is a kill volume. Going a bit deeper it would be cool if you could select individual pieces and assign it to be a kill volume so when players stand on that piece it will kill them. Could make for interesting gametypes.

Yeah... A map editor like Far Cry would be great. Sick of building maps with pre-made assets crudely clipped inside one another. I want to use the landscape to shape and mold the map.

CliQ

Yeah... A map editor like Far Cry would be great. Sick of building maps with pre-made assets crudely clipped inside one another. I want to use the landscape to shape and mold the map.

It would be pretty nice to shape and mold in forge. Would be nice if you could bake in lighting as well.

btags

Why not have both? A terrain editor like Far Cry combined with object manipulation like previous forge iterations would be awesome.

Well, Auntie Dot was actually a "Dumb" AI, whereas Cortana was a "Smart" AI, albeit a particularly unique/advanced one. Dumb and Smart AIs have coexisted for a long time and serve different purposes in the Halo universe. Serina from Halo Wars is another Smart AI, and she was put into service 11 years before Auntie Dot.

Omni

I'm watching them now. Showed up in my feed. Kinda feel bad about being so harsh about that E3 demo... Obviously a lot of work went into it. >.>

Also I'd totally pay money to get a blue needler. I hope different colours is a thing

Madness

Always a good time when you have people who have PSN ID's but no XBL gamer tags enter threads and then act shocked or outraged that such and such happened in Halo or so and so. Getting into it with one guy who literally comes into thread complaining why Killzone Shadow Fall got lambasted but we're all fine with Halo 5.

rrc1594

Always a good time when you have people who have PSN ID's but no XBL gamer tags enter threads and then act shocked or outraged that such and such happened in Halo or so and so. Getting into it with one guy who literally comes into thread complaining why Killzone Shadow Fall got lambasted but we're all fine with Halo 5.

The minute someone said Halo should be at 30fps I was out

Madness

The minute someone said Halo should be at 30fps I was out

No kidding. I think I've been spoiled by the H5 beta and how buttery smooth the campaigns and mp run in MCC. I wouldn't have said 60fps was a necessity before. But I found the gameplay smooth and much better. Only time will tell how it holds up once the incineration cannons, and banshees and warthogs and explosions happen.

Only way I see going back to 30fps is if they promise some out of this world visuals, but even then, I felt the campaign section we saw looked great visually. Will need to see a daytime section, larger area, grass/water, some kind of Scarab area to see if I'm still impressed.

There isn't much to say about the gaming side...except for truthfully harsh statements that will probably get you banned.

UKUMI0

So I was just reading the fact sheets from Xbox Wire for Halo 5, and apparently Halo 5 takes place on 3 different worlds. Don't know if that's new info or not, but thought it was interesting.

Also side question, is that the most planets in a main Halo game to date?

So I was just reading the fact sheets from Xbox Wire for Halo 5, and apparently Halo 5 takes place on 3 different worlds. Don't know if that's new info or not, but thought it was interesting.

Also side question, is that the most planets in a main Halo game to date?

Halo CE - Alpha Halo
Halo 2 - Earth, Threshold, Delta Halo, High Charity
Halo 3 - Earth, The Ark, Alpha Halo B
ODST - New Mombasa
Reach - Planet Reach
Halo 4 - Requiem

Halo 5 - Sanghelios, ?, ?

UKUMI0

Halo CE - Alpha Halo
Halo 2 - Earth, Threshold, Delta Halo, High Charity
Halo 3 - Earth, The Ark, Alpha Halo B
ODST - New Mombasa
Reach - Planet Reach
Halo 4 - Requiem

Halo 5 - Sanghelios, ?, ?

Thanks, as for Halo 5, one of them would have to be
Meridian
right? Sort of hoping the third is the Ark or a Halo though I feel like Halo is artifact title now days

Don't take this personal, I'd like to vent here.

Now I go through your responses and all I see is hype and build up, based on what? Is it justified? Did 343i prove themselves? Why do you give them such an easy pass?

Halo MCC was the worst unfinished insult of a product I've ever had the displeasure of having for the first few months. Halo The Anniversary was Reach re-skinned (MP mostly). What did 343i do to prove themselves?

You're calling fans who've had this franchise as part of their daily lives as "idiots" just because they didn't fall for a PR series of videos called "Sprint", and you're disrespecting their opinions for the simple fact that they truly believe 343i to simply be INCOMPETENT and ruined a series that is still buggy and messy in the form of MCC.

I think Halo MCC did more damage to the franchise's legacy than you guys would realize, or would like to admit. Not being able to play the game we paid $60 for the first few months did a much more irreparable damage than many would like to admit.

Not only was MCC the perfect homage to an almost 15 years worth of legacy, it was the equivalent of the perfect party that was the worst party of all time. It was in fact the worst experience I've ever had in videogaming, period.

Halo MCC should have broken Live records, it was the perfect opportunity, the perfect reunion and the perfect online game..It's not even in the top 10 played games on Xbox Live.

The catastrophic launch was one of the final nails into Halo's dwindling popularity's coffin for me and to many of my friends who've followed this franchise for all this time.

Top 5 reasons why I believe the Halo torch is fading out IMO.

5- Halo MCC is still broken, can you find matches? sure, if you're willing to wait 30 seconds up to two minutes. In today's standards? This is atrocious. Calling this to be such a huge project and mistakes happen, weird how mistakes occur when a company is able to iron out most of them 3 months later, a 3 month delay would have been the sensible thing to do but oh no. Release now patch later.

4- It's not even on the top 10 most played games on Xbox Live..

Four complete Halo games didn't even break the top 10..doesn't that say something to you? They tried to fix the game but it was too late, not that many people play this as there would have if the launch went smoothly.

3- The game was released completely broken, the fans didn't deserve this, and for 343i to act so surprised and say "We're investigating complaints", EVERYONE was complaining about even the single player being broken.
Bonnie Ross released an apology for the hot mess that is MCC, but an apology does not fix a broken product.

2- Halo numbers on Twitch are just an embarrassment and not worth writing about.

1- Halo's channel on YouTube has 230,000 subscribers. Battlefield has 1M, Call of Duty has 3M. The series that practically started Machinima doesn't have the same exposure and popularity as other franchises. Halo 5's effort to rekindle the franchise's popularity is like ice skating up a mountain. I keep trying to look for gameplay of any of the 4 games on YouTube and it's a chore.

But it's okay, keep up the hype, at least you're enjoying your time. Beta was okay? So was Battlefield 4's beta, it was okay, the game launch was the biggest online disaster of all time alongside with MCC.

Don't doubt if someone is a fan for justifiably not trusting in 343i, because they still haven't earned that trust. All I read in this thread reminds me of the unbelievable hype before MCC was released, and this train is only heading to one familiar destination that based on past experiences is not something almost all would like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom