• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheXbox

So how many of you guys are still running into issues? Average search times? Was planning on waiting til Halo 5, but theres a crazy 1tb xbone+new contoller+mcc+acu+witcher 3 for 399, plus a $50 microsoft code, and XBL is 20 bucks off...
Not too many technical issues, although I still get the occasional hard crash. Search times are the biggest issue for me. I've had to wait 5-10 minutes to get into a game in some of the less populated playlists. (aka, anything not TS, Halo 3, or BTB) Quitting is also a regular occurrence, so expect most games to be 3v4, 8v6, or whatever.

singhr1

They can do what they want. Throw 15 years of iconic weapon designs and silhouettes away and start afresh, but then don't wonder why the game doesn't retain that same level of fanbase and passion.

How many people are going to make foam versions or costly weapons of the new green tube generic rocket launcher? Will anyone look at it and go, that's from Halo?

Karl raised a good point. There is advancements to old designs, those Reach concept art designs are good. They evoke the AR while looking new. They even have a lore explanation by saying these were pre-CE or experimental Reach designs. Think of how the Mark V armor went to Mark VI. But a radical redesign serves no purpose. Why is the new pistol black instead of silver? Because it looks like a gritty and common glock etc.

They're bringing the SPNKr back only after the fact people complained. Did no one think hey, wtf why are we even changing the rocket launcher design at all.

It's cause its more grounded in reality. It's more relatable. When you pick up a UNSC weapon it should feel human. When you pick up a forerunner or covenant weapon it should feel alien and different. That's why the Covenant armory is now more organic and UNSC is more realistic, to provide a larger distinction between the two.

So how many of you guys are still running into issues? Average search times? Was planning on waiting til Halo 5, but theres a crazy 1tb xbone+new contoller+mcc+acu+witcher 3 for 399, plus a $50 microsoft code, and XBL is 20 bucks off...

Depends where you live. In US you'll get games in every playlist in seconds to a couple of minutes max. In AUS you'll get TS and maybe something else if you're lucky. Haven't had the game crash on me while playing since the ODST patch. You're rank still may reset and you still may lose progress during campaign (neither of which have happened to me personally recently).

Also, GameInformer says they got more H5 info today. Look out for that.

RowdyReverb

true, but it should last at least as long as two controllers and perform better as well. fuck its a lot of money to spend at once though for a controller. especially given microsofts established precedence on resetting all peripherals with each new generation of consoles - this would be a far easier pill to swallow if i had any confidence what-so-ever that it would work on xbox next
At least you're guaranteed that it'll work on a PC for years to come. The only thing holding me back is that I'm trying to start saving money for a PC build eventually, but I'm convincing myself that it could be part of the investment. I'm my own worst enemy.

1RchGln.jpg

vjX9klk.jpg

edit:

kM8HpFX.jpg
Ironic how the new Wraith looks more like a scorpion than the Scorpion.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
At least you're guaranteed that it'll work on a PC for years to come. The only thing holding me back is that I'm trying to start saving money for a PC build eventually, but I'm convincing myself that it could be part of the investment. I'm my own worst enemy.

hmmm. hadnt really considered that, as i'm not remotely a pc gamer.... but i am VERY tempted to start with oculus/vive.

I'm sorry if this has been posted before but I hadn't seen it. This is a video that discusses some of the tools 343 is using for Halo 5 de-bugging. I thought it was interesting from a layman’s perspective anyway.

http://blogs.microsoft.com/next/201...lo-5-guardians-multiplayer-better-for-gamers/

Trill sounds like a tool my software company could sorely use, haha. Bug fixing is such an arduous process, and our software is pretty simple. I could only imagine how many bugs pop out of nowhere in a game like Halo 5.

jem0208

With all this Destiny expansion price bullshit, it really is refreshing to know H5's map DLC will be free. That was a fantastic move by 343.

With all this Destiny expansion price bullshit, it really is refreshing to know H5's map DLC will be free. That was a fantastic move by 343.
Except destiny's expansion is that. An expansion. Not just DLC maps. Its like going from WoW vanilla to Burning Crusade.

The price itself is shit but at least it won't ship broken.

Except destiny's expansion is that. An expansion. Not just DLC maps. Its like going from WoW vanilla to Burning Crusade.

I'm just being devil's advocate here for a moment, but to me it's more like paid content patches. Like going from 6.1 to 6.2 in WoW. I just don't see them adding enough content to warrant it being compared to a WoW expansion.

singhr1

The Legendary Edition is a great value though. Full game + 3 expansions for $60? Destiny 1 year later may be the time I finally jump in seeing as though there is now plenty of content and some of the grind systems have been eased.

I'm just being devil's advocate here for a moment, but to me it's more like paid content patches. Like going from 6.1 to 6.2 in WoW. I just don't see them adding enough content to warrant it being compared to a WoW expansion.

We don't know what's going to be included. It really depends what we're actually getting. I don't blame people who are not happy with the price after the first two expansions, but I think Bungie has learned what players like/don't like.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

Ironic how the new Wraith looks more like a scorpion than the Scorpion.

don't worry, they'll redesign the Scorpion too.

hahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaah

jem0208

To be clear, the reason I think the price is bullshit is because it costs £40 in the UK. Not only is that price matching with dollars which is ridiculous enough, it's also the price of a full AAA game. No expansion is worth that. You're paying that much for what is probably only about a third of an already content light game.

Also 15 maps is probably on par in terms of amount of content with both the Destiny expansions combined.

My IRL buddies have peer pressured me into redownloading Destiny.

Feels bad, man.

You know what feels good, though?

Halo.

I like both.

And Bungie made the first expansion's PvP maps free when the second expansion came out, so they're now fully integrated into the rest of the playlists. Probably will do the same thing in September for the last expansion's PvP maps, too.

--

Also, I can't complain about $40, because they haven't even said what's all included yet. First two expansions were worth the $30 together to me.

We don't know what's going to be included. It really depends what we're actually getting. I don't blame people who are not happy with the price after the first two expansions, but I think Bungie has learned what players like/don't like.
It's one new area (afaik). When in the original game we got Earth, Moon, Mars & Venus?

To be clear, the reason I think the price is bullshit is because it costs £40 in the UK. Not only is that price matching with dollars which is ridiculous enough, it's also the price of a full AAA game. No expansion is worth that. You're paying that much for what is probably only about a third of an already content light game.

Also 15 maps is probably on par in terms of amount of content with both the Destiny expansions combined.

$40=£40 is indeed bullshit. However, your 15 maps on par with both Destiny expansions is just silly.

play destiny brehs

say you're too cool for pokemon and digimon megastar heroes when you're feeding your guns candy and EV training them brehs

And if the new area is the size of Earth, Moon, and Mars combined? Based on previous track record I don't believe it will be.
What about the other modes?
We already know there's at least some missions on Phobos, which is new. No one knows at this point.
Based on what we do know and can guess at (it was Activision's decision to announce the price), it sounds overpriced.

Many not on par with both combined but it's certainly not far off.

Halo map packs have been what, $10? For 3 maps.

TDB had 3/4 maps. 1/2 Strikes. A "story mode" in 4ish missions. A new Raid. New weapons/gear.

HoW had 3/4 maps. 1 Strike. A "story mode" in 4ish missions. A 3-person Arena (small raid). New weapons/gear. The Reef. Trials of Osiris (best mode in the game).

$35 for both @ $17.50 each. Or $40 if you bought them separately.

And then they made the TDB PvP maps free for everyone once HoW came out. I say it was worth it, honestly. Not that far off from a Halo map pack.

play destiny brehs

say you're too cool for pokemon and digimon megastar heroes when you're feeding your guns candy and EV training them brehs

I wish. Destiny could use a gun-breeding system with IVs and scrolling, too, while we're at it.

I laugh when people call Destiny's DLC "expansions" they don't contain enough content to be considered that, some of the areas were even on the disc, pretty disgusting practices from Bungie/Activision.

Though arguing about Destiny's value is completely subjective. I was only interested in the story missions and single player content as I found Destiny's PvP generic and unbalanced. Considering how poor the missions were in the base game and the lack of content in lieu for grinding it wasn't worth it. Though for someone who likes Destiny's PvP and grinding every week I'm sure it was worth it in their eyes.

Console players are being conditioned to pay more for less with the promise of DLC and expansions which will cost even more money. Shit, even Nintendo is getting in on this with Splatoon and Mario Kart 8. No battle mode, paying extra for color swaps, Amiibo? PR spins it into something magical because hey, at least the gameplay feels decent right, and gameplay is king, right?

I don't primarily game on PC but I'm guessing this is shit they've experienced many moons ago, which is why the discounts are so great. Had a friend tell me last night that he saw no value in PvZ Garden Warfare at $40 with its lack of content but is hunkie dorie with Splatoon and how they handle multiplayer for $60.

Bungie gave us Halo 3 and Reach despite knowing what their hardcore fans wanted. These hardcore fans I'm referring to are any of us who play these games for years after launch and type on forums, not necessarily just competitive players. No one after Halo 2 wanted a slower, more inconsistent game with many other issues like the launch melee system. Who asked for bloom and even slower movement? Who wanted them to remove Power-ups and up the randomness by removing equal starts with AA's? After 5 or so years of work on Destiny and that's what we get at launch, from the incredible Bungie?

Sometimes I miss it, but I just can't be on the Bungie hype train anymore. I'm going to need some real convincing to dive back into Destiny again after the rollercoaster they put many fans through over too many years lol

Obscured

Finished listening to hunt the truth and was reading the description of the glassed planet again. I want a map with a glassed aesthetic now.

Console players are being conditioned to pay more for less with the promise of DLC and expansions which will cost even more money. Shit, even Nintendo is getting in on this with Splatoon and Mario Kart 8. No battle mode, paying extra for color swaps, Amiibo? PR spins it into something magical because hey, at least the gameplay feels decent right, and gameplay is king, right?

I don't primarily game on PC but I'm guessing this is shit they've experienced many moons ago, which is why the discounts are so great. Had a friend tell me last night that he saw no value in PvZ Garden Warfare at $40 with its lack of content but is hunkie dorie with Splatoon and how they handle multiplayer for $60.

Bungie gave us Halo 3 and Reach despite knowing what their hardcore fans wanted. These hardcore fans I'm referring to are any of us who play these games for years after launch and type on forums, not necessarily just competitive players. No one after Halo 2 wanted a slower, more inconsistent game with many other issues like the launch melee system. Who asked for bloom and even slower movement? Who wanted them to remove Power-ups and up the randomness by removing equal starts with AA's? After 5 or so years of work on Destiny and that's what we get at launch, from the incredible Bungie?

Sometimes I miss it, but I just can't be on the Bungie hype train anymore. I'm going to need some real convincing to dive back into Destiny again after the rollercoaster they put many fans through over too many years lol

Games are $100-$120 now. They just obfuscate that from you, each developer does it differently. Season pass was the beginning.

Eh, partly, but they're gonna keep introducing more BS to keep players playing longer.

At this point, though, if you're still actively playing, you know what you're in for. I had my fill with House of Wolves and can safely say that I'm not interested in the Taken King.

Heck, even Halo 5's Warzone has kinda turned me off. Dunno if I'll be playing a lot of it. Halo used to be a game I'd replay infinitely, but with Fallout 4 around the corner Halo 5 will probably be 'play once or twice' and then get moved to the shelf.

Mix

Yeah, Luke Smith is kind of an ass and always has been, go back to his Halo 2 threads from before the game released and he got an early copy or whatever. Guy is totally self absorbed.

Halo dad destiny dad gaming dad juices dad

Time to find a new daddy.

FTFY

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
My IRL buddies have peer pressured me into redownloading Destiny.

Feels bad, man.

You know what feels good, though?

Halo.
I stopped playing Destiny back in October and then decided to give it another shot back in March. I got pretty hooked and played a lot until last month and then finally burned out again. Doing the same missions over and over again is zzzzzzz, the PvP sucks compared to Halo, and the whole damn game is too much of a grind fest. No thanks. I'm not going back to the series unless they majorly shake it up.

Eh, partly, but they're gonna keep introducing more BS to keep players playing longer.

At this point, though, if you're still actively playing, you know what you're in for. I had my fill with House of Wolves and can safely say that I'm not interested in the Taken King.

Heck, even Halo 5's Warzone has kinda turned me off. Dunno if I'll be playing a lot of it. Halo used to be a game I'd replay infinitely, but with Fallout 4 around the corner Halo 5 will probably be 'play once or twice' and then get moved to the shelf.

I really think that "here's more shit to keep you playing" era in is Destiny is over. It's pretty easy to get to max level and level up guns now. It will probably be easier moving forward too. I'm taking a break from Destiny ATM, but it's partially because I really want to work on my backlog.

Warzone looks ok. I really feel like it's just everything thrown together and no real cohesive vision. But from posts in HaloGAF apparently that's what its supposed to be! Would have rather had a 12 player PvE game mode tbh. Still not sure whether or not Halo 5 will be something I buy or just rent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom