• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ding ding ding.

But really should have said 'cost me 1/5th'

Also if you're wondering how, in the UK you can get an Amazon Visa, it's not that bad. I'm sure it's available in America too.

Edit: inb4 Ody calls me an Amazon shill.

Wife and I got it not too long ago. Been quite nice.

Playing halo 4 made me realize I needed to brush up on the extended lore outside of the games. I thought I had done that, knew enough to follow along with halo 4, who ur didact is and the early human history, precursors, reclaimers, all that stuff.

What's the recommended reading these days for people wanting to catch up on Halo lore?

For background on the Forerunner stuff:
-Cryptpum
-Primordium
-Silentium
omg this book is so good <3

For background on the state of the universe:
-Kilo-Five Trilogy
-Hunters in the Dark
-Halo: Escalation

Also, there is a novella coming in July from Stinkles about AI and another big novel in the beginning of Fall called Halo: Last Light, and it will be about Blue Team!

Wife and I got it not too long ago. Been quite nice.

In the UK they got rid of the loyalty points back in 2014, can you believe that?

An Amazon card without anything to do with Amazon now.

But before that, I had (now almost depleted) healthy gift card balance as the card was quite useful to rack up points.

Glass

Promethean Soldier Variants. I like the left one and they're pretty good in general, except for the fact the one in the middle's head looks just like a Halo 4 elite commander.

http://i.imgur.com/gqnlcB6.jpg?1[/IMG[/QUOTE]

I think I mostly appreciate the fact that they come in different colours now. Was so sick of silver metal with orange lights by the end of 4. The white and black Promethean knight boss looks good in Warzone.

In the UK they got rid of the loyalty points back in 2014, can you believe that?

An Amazon card without anything to do with Amazon now.

But before that, I had (now almost depleted) healthy gift card balance as the card was quite useful to rack up points.

What? That's very odd, wonder what the reasons are. And yeah I have been purchasing music with the points rather frequently.

Vico

I hope the wraith's design is not final, and that it's the reason it wasn't in the E3 build. Because I don't like what I'm seeing. At all.

I hope the wraith's design is not final, and that it's the reason it wasn't in the E3 build. Because I don't like what I'm seeing. At all.

Why is there so much salt about wraiths in this thread? Lol the wraiths have been bulbous monstrosities since CE...

MCC has been on the money tonight. SoGood.gif, here's a run down.

1. BTB none found x 2 searches, off to a bad start (5 party)
2. H4 found all 3mins (5 party)
3. H4 found all 2mins (5 party) - backed out after game and 1 player dropped from party but not party chat
4. H4 found some 3mins all 6mins (5 party)
5. H4 found all 3mins (5 party)
6. Slayer found 7 in 2mins, all in 4mins (4 party)
7. BTB found all 3mins (4 party) - started 7vs8, probably a vote quitter
8. Slayer found all 1min (4 party)

Why is there so much salt about wraiths in this thread? Lol the wraiths have been bulbous monstrosities since CE...

Because iconic designs being changed are offensive to those that either like them or are invested in the franchise and want logical consistency from that franchise. I may not be pissed off about it all, but I'm not happy about it either. It's distracting and jarring to notice a drastic change in something that is supposed to be familiar.

Because iconic designs being changed are offensive to those that either like them or are invested in the franchise and want logical consistency from that franchise. I may not be pissed off about it all, but I'm not happy about it either. It's distracting and jarring to notice a drastic change in something that is supposed to be familiar.

Technology and design changes over time. Does the Honda Civic from 1992 look like the Civic from 2014?

Vico

Yes, ant it's actually not really a bulbous monstrosity now.
The weird thing is that there is nothing under the cannon now, as if it's hanging in the air, barely linked to the rest of the vehicle. It gives it a skeleton-feeling, as if some parts are missing.

jem0208

I'm finished HaloGAF. Did my last exam this morning, 3 months of holiday.

Life is so good right now.

Edit: I might have posted this before but personally redesigns don't bother me at all, as long as something is recognisable I just don't care. Something like the Rocket is a bad redesign because it is completely different style. The new Wraith still distinctly looks like a Wraith, just a different model.

Technology and design changes over time. Does the Honda Civic from 1992 look like the Civic from 2014?

Lol sure they don't. However, is there a 22 year gap between Halo 4 and 5? Heck no.

Like I said, I'm not that upset about it, but I personally don't like it and (so far) find it unjustified.

Congrats man! Enjoy yourself. I wish I could do the same, but Im studying C++ like crazy. Got summer school too.

Lol sure they don't. However, is there a 22 year gap between Halo 4 and 5? Heck no.

Like I said, I'm not that upset about it, but I personally don't like it and (so far) find it unjustified.

Definitely not 22yrs haha but I dunno maybe the covies got sick of Mc blowing up all their awkward looking tanks so they made some sleek new tanks for him to blow up. B)

Fuchsdh

Congrats man! Enjoy yourself. I wish I could do the same, but Im studying C++ like crazy. Got summer school too.

Well, realistically this is something that would have changed a lot *during* the Covenant war that getting it to change after is really just long overdue. Then again the Prophets tightly controlled Covenant technology so you could use that as an excuse for its stagnation.

Really, at some point even I'll admit that if you don't want to change something because "it's iconic" you're left with stuff looking the same forever. As long as they don't retcon Banshees, Ghosts, and Wraiths into looking like this all the time I don't care that much.

link1201

MCC has been on the money tonight. SoGood.gif, here's a run down.

1. BTB none found x 2 searches, off to a bad start (5 party)
2. H4 found all 3mins (5 party)
3. H4 found all 2mins (5 party) - backed out after game and 1 player dropped from party but not party chat
4. H4 found some 3mins all 6mins (5 party)
5. H4 found all 3mins (5 party)
6. Slayer found 7 in 2mins, all in 4mins (4 party)
7. BTB found all 3mins (4 party) - started 7vs8, probably a vote quitter
8. Slayer found all 1min (4 party)

I have been having a good time for the last few days. It's been a week since I got a lot of juddering. The worst thing that happened to me this week was losing a BTB match 990 to 1000 :'(

Edit: I might have posted this before but personally redesigns don't bother me at all, as long as something is recognisable I just don't care. Something like the Rocket is a bad redesign because it is completely different style. The new Wraith still distinctly looks like a Wraith, just a different model.

Well done Jem. Too bad you'll be back in the lecture hall once H5 rolls around lol

jem0208

Well done Jem. Too bad you'll be back in the lecture hall once H5 rolls around lol

Cheers!

And yeah, kinda sucks that I'm gunna be really busy starting Uni and stuff when H5 comes around. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out a way to have my Xbox there.

Also good luck with the summer school stuff Fahz!

Fuchsdh

Played my first H2A match in a while, was the MVP on my team and got the clutch final kill for a 50-48 win.

I feel like the system is designed to give me a good game so I am lured into a false sense of competency, before it just throws up its hands and things go pear-shaped.

That reminds me—do we know if there are environmental kill medals in H5? I thought that was a nice addition with H2A.

link1201

Played my first H2A match in a while, was the MVP on my team and got the clutch final kill for a 50-48 win.

I feel like the system is designed to give me a good game so I am lured into a false sense of competency, before it just throws up its hands and things go pear-shaped.

That reminds me—do we know if there are environmental kill medals in H5? I thought that was a nice addition with H2A.

I don't know if it has been confirmed but I agree it was a nice addition. Would love to get someone with that grate you can knock down. lol

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
$149.99 is a little too much for me. Could get 2 normal controllers and Rare Rewind with that.

true, but it should last at least as long as two controllers and perform better as well. fuck its a lot of money to spend at once though for a controller. especially given microsofts established precedence on resetting all peripherals with each new generation of consoles - this would be a far easier pill to swallow if i had any confidence what-so-ever that it would work on xbox next

Karl2177

The quality on the Wraith pictures is awful. I wish there was a higher quality version available so I could give the most informed judgment on it. Having said that, the missing part from the back gives a bit of a design flaw. The player's approach to taking out a Wraith effectively is to flank it from the side or in back and attack it. Generally the Wraith will turn to shoot its attacker, which exposes more of the Wraith. With the back piece missing, there's less area to hit the Wraith from the flank, so the attacker might not get as much damage off as before. The Wraith in the past 2 major releases has problems with it being too powerful against infantry attackers. This seems to make it even more effective, which is a bit worrisome to me.

IHaveIce

Banned
WELCOME FRIEND

Taishan
Tashian
Tashi an
An Tashi
A Tashi

yeah no, your viral marketing won't work tashi, we don't like AR starts

edit: Oh also new Wraith looks better than old one, but I'm against changes just for the sake of changes. Except for OddOne going back to junior status, that would be a great change.

AlStrong

I'd be ok with the new Covenant tank. Just call it something else.

Promethean Soldier Variants. I like the left one and they're pretty good in general, except for the fact the one in the middle's head looks just like a Halo 4 elite commander.

gqnlcB6.jpg

Can't unsee the pinball flippers on the middle one.

Is that a floating testicle?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i really hate the proportions on those new prometheans. looks like a cheap terminator knockoff. i actually, greatly, prefer the look of the knights. though they definitely could stand some reworking, both in visual distinction between classes but certainly also in gameplay, at least they looked original.

Mistel

Banned
Cheers!

And yeah, kinda sucks that I'm gunna be really busy starting Uni and stuff when H5 comes around. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out a way to have my Xbox there.

Me and you will be starting Uni at the same time then more or less, I've also got to figure out a way to have a xbox too.

xboxnerd

Banned

gqnlcB6.jpg

Hello guys, first post here, HALO has been a crucial part of my life since 6th grade.
Really looking forward to HALO 5, so many great news so far!

I would like to know does Knight still exist in game? As a more powerful unit maybe?

Cheers!

Be careful with your Xbox for the first semester - there's so much stuff to take advantage of on campus that you won't get to do later on. My advice is - if you meet people into video games having a console and halo would be fantastic but don't let it stop you from taking advantage of the social side of uni early on.

I was lucky that I met and made friends with people who loved halo but I was super lazy and totally skipped a bunch of uni specific stuff. It's a lot harder out of uni to find some of the crazy society's and random events that uni constantly throws at you

jem0208

Me and you will be starting Uni at the same time then more or less, I've also got to figure out a way to have a xbox too.
Yeah, it's gunna be a pain. Getting a monitor or TV is going to be the worst part. Don't want to spend too much money on anything.
Be careful with your Xbox for the first semester - there's so much stuff to take advantage of on campus that you won't get to do later on. My advice is - if you meet people into video games having a console and halo would be fantastic but don't let it stop you from taking advantage of the social side of uni early on.

I was lucky that I met and made friends with people who loved halo but I was super lazy and totally skipped a bunch of uni specific stuff. It's a lot harder out of uni to find some of the crazy society's and random events that uni constantly throws at you

Oh I don't plan on playing on the Xbox much at all. I'm only really planning on taking it so that I can play H5 when it comes out. Probably won't bother setting it up until then or if I find myself with some free time.

I just really don't want to be reading about you guys all the playing the game and thinking my Xbox is a few hundred miles away sitting in the living room.

Anyway, the Halo grind begins.

xboxnerd

Banned
54145814.jpg

But seriously, welcome everyone. Make sure that you fill out the survey and tell us what you like, be it AR starts (Tashi alt) or the correct way to play Halo.

How long have you been a member of NeoGAF? How long have you lurked?

About 6 months. Seldom post since still a graduated student and always in the lab.

How old are you? What country or state are you posting from? (Optional)

Old enough to enjoy Halo CE when I was in 6th grade.
I'm from Taiwan, where Frankie always visits!

How long have you been a Halo fan? Have you played all the games?

Have the LE of 2, 3, HW, and Reach console 360.
Fan of every bit of Halo except Halo 3 BR (joined 4 after 2 months late so wasn't spoiled by ordanance).

What mode do you spend most of your time in?

Team slayer and BTB.

What is your favorite playlist?
(i.e. MLG, Action Sack)

Team objective.

Help us get to know you better. (Optional)

Nice to meet you guys, though most of the time when I am awake you are all sleeping.
Always try to catch up with 20+ posts in the morning and miss the discussion, but I still find here a warm haven!

Blueblur1

Hi juniors. Hope you make it past 3 months!

They can do what they want. Throw 15 years of iconic weapon designs and silhouettes away and start afresh, but then don't wonder why the game doesn't retain that same level of fanbase and passion.

How many people are going to make foam versions or costly weapons of the new green tube generic rocket launcher? Will anyone look at it and go, that's from Halo?

Karl raised a good point. There is advancements to old designs, those Reach concept art designs are good. They evoke the AR while looking new. They even have a lore explanation by saying these were pre-CE or experimental Reach designs. Think of how the Mark V armor went to Mark VI. But a radical redesign serves no purpose. Why is the new pistol black instead of silver? Because it looks like a gritty and common glock etc.

They're bringing the SPNKr back only after the fact people complained. Did no one think hey, wtf why are we even changing the rocket launcher design at all.

Quoted for truthiness.

So some lore nerds talk to me because I havn't kept up at all.

Do ODST still exist or did they all get folded into the S4 program?
What are brutes doing?
Whats going on with Mendez?
Did the Spirit of Fire get found?

nillapuddin

Just finished listening to New Blood

Mickey... Not like this

I really liked it, I don't know how much money/time it would have taken for Fillion to do the VO for it instead, but that would have been legendary.

Now starting Hunters in the Dark!

Fuchsdh

So some lore nerds talk to me because I havn't kept up at all.

Do ODST still exist or did they all get folded into the S4 program?
What are brutes doing?
Whats going on with Mendez?
Did the Spirit of Fire get found?

*ODSTs still exist.

*Brutes are mostly fighting with each other, though some have forged truces with the humans and Elites.

*Last we heard from Mendez he was giving a pep talk about the Master Chief, as far as we know. (Hunt the Truth) Although I suppose it's possible it wasn't Mendez at all we heard from.

*Spirit of Fire is still adrift.

VinFTW

They can do what they want. Throw 15 years of iconic weapon designs and silhouettes away and start afresh, but then don't wonder why the game doesn't retain that same level of fanbase and passion.

How many people are going to make foam versions or costly weapons of the new green tube generic rocket launcher? Will anyone look at it and go, that's from Halo?

Karl raised a good point. There is advancements to old designs, those Reach concept art designs are good. They evoke the AR while looking new. They even have a lore explanation by saying these were pre-CE or experimental Reach designs. Think of how the Mark V armor went to Mark VI. But a radical redesign serves no purpose. Why is the new pistol black instead of silver? Because it looks like a gritty and common glock etc.

They're bringing the SPNKr back only after the fact people complained. Did no one think hey, wtf why are we even changing the rocket launcher design at all.

Broken record man, some like the new look, others dont.

No need to get bent out of shape over it. New fans will join, old will leave because of the changes. It's a natural cycle.

IMO? I just want to know if it feels/plays better.

So how many of you guys are still running into issues? Average search times? Was planning on waiting til Halo 5, but theres a crazy 1tb xbone+new contoller+mcc+acu+witcher 3 for 399, plus a $50 microsoft code, and XBL is 20 bucks off...

Bossniak

I want to play Halo CE FFA. I can't play Halo CE FFA. Why cant I play Halo CE FFA? I am tired of playing 2v2 and halo 3 winning all the votes in other playlists.

Is there an explanation why Halo 1 isn't in Rumble pit playlist? >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom