• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mix

Reach's AR was my favorite when it came to design.

140.jpg

Mix

I'd be fine with an AR redesign. I liked the Reach concepts for the AR.

This one in particular stuck out to me.

XppkAom.png

I even did a crappy 3d mockup of it a while back.

So much of Reach's concept art looks exactly like early Destiny stuff. Reach really was just a Destiny demo in disguise.

Madness

They can do what they want. Throw 15 years of iconic weapon designs and silhouettes away and start afresh, but then don't wonder why the game doesn't retain that same level of fanbase and passion.

How many people are going to make foam versions or costly weapons of the new green tube generic rocket launcher? Will anyone look at it and go, that's from Halo?

Karl raised a good point. There is advancements to old designs, those Reach concept art designs are good. They evoke the AR while looking new. They even have a lore explanation by saying these were pre-CE or experimental Reach designs. Think of how the Mark V armor went to Mark VI. But a radical redesign serves no purpose. Why is the new pistol black instead of silver? Because it looks like a gritty and common glock etc.

They're bringing the SPNKr back only after the fact people complained. Did no one think hey, wtf why are we even changing the rocket launcher design at all.

Hello, my name is Taishan and I enjoy AR starts.

I somewhat enjoyed AR starts in the H5 beta, not in Breakout as I would have preferred that to be BR starts or pistol only. H3, Reach or H4 AR stats weren't my cup of tea though. As for customs playing AR starts occasionally allows everyone in the party to have a good time as opposed to just melting your less BR skilled friends faces all the time.

Captain Friendo

Neo Member
I think one of the most important features of Halo weapon and vehicle design is that they all have discernible silhouettes. Instead of calling them 'Bungie' designs, we should really revere them as Halo designs and hope any custodians of the franchise would do the same.

The new Banshee and Ghost designs sit okay with me for this reason, and I don't know what to think of the Wraith - but as of now I definitely don't hate it. A bit odd now that it looks more like a Scorpion than a Scorpion tank, though. I just hope they keep it blue.

Mix

I think one of the most important features of Halo weapon and vehicle design is that they all have discernible silhouettes. Instead of calling them 'Bungie' designs, we should really revere them as Halo designs and hope any custodians of the franchise would do the same.

The new Banshee and Ghost designs sit okay with me for this reason, and I don't know what to think of the Wraith - but as of now I definitely don't hate it. A bit odd now that it looks more like a Scorpion than a Scorpion tank, though. I just hope they keep it blue.

wat

Halo 1, 2, and 3, and it's definitely purple.

Captain Friendo

Neo Member
wat
Halo 1, 2, and 3, and it's definitely purple.
Yeah Halo 1 and 2 you're certainly right mate but i'll vouch for it having a blue tone in 3, Reach and 4 - certainly as opposed to other covenant designs like the ghost and banshee for example which lean more towards a solid purple.

Who else is thinking about having an elite controller? It's everything I have wanted in a controller so I don't know if I can resist lol

I was sold on it after the vidoc, what tipped me over the edge was the ability to make custom profiles for every game.

Well that and the fact that I bought it for 1/5 of the price.

Playing halo 4 made me realize I needed to brush up on the extended lore outside of the games. I thought I had done that, knew enough to follow along with halo 4, who ur didact is and the early human history, precursors, reclaimers, all that stuff.

What's the recommended reading these days for people wanting to catch up on Halo lore?

Captain Friendo

Neo Member
Playing halo 4 made me realize I needed to brush up on the extended lore outside of the games. I thought I had done that, knew enough to follow along with halo 4, who ur didact is and the early human history, precursors, reclaimers, all that stuff.

What's the recommended reading these days for people wanting to catch up on Halo lore?
Well if you know the forerunner saga stuff then you could just read up on the Halo 5 set ups. Halo New Blood, Halo Hunters in the Dark, some issues of the Escalation comic are relevant. Broken Circle might have a few links in there.

Halo: Last Light which comes out in September might prove quite relevant to Blue Team's narrative.

Omni

If any of you guys have a PS4, feel free to add me. Got one today for my multiplatform games. PSN is just randomrosso.

There's a lot.

I'd recommend Greg Bear's Forerunner Saga. Some awesome stuff there. Karen Traviss' trilogy is complete trash and I wouldn't waste the time to read those. Might give some insight to what the Arbiter is doing I suppose, but meh. Really, if you followed along with Halo 4, you're not missing all that much.

If any of you guys have a PS4, feel free to add me. Got one today for my multiplatform games. PSN is just randomrosso.

There's a lot.

I'd recommend Greg Bear's Forerunner Saga. Some awesome stuff there. Karen Traviss' trilogy is complete trash and I wouldn't waste the time to read those. Might give some insight to what the Arbiter is doing I suppose, but meh. Really, if you followed along with Halo 4, you're not missing all that much.

Got to say I would personally avoid the Greg bear books and maybe just read a summary.

I found them to be really badly written, had some cool ideas but they were few and far between so even creatively it brought little to the table so from a writing and story point of view I found the books a real slog

Now that halo 4 is out and done it's pretty much not worth it

Captain Friendo

Neo Member
Promethean Soldier Variants. I like the left one and they're pretty good in general, except for the fact the one in the middle's head looks just like a Halo 4 elite commander.

gqnlcB6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom