• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlStrong

Please? There's gotta be a way to shoehorn Firefight into there... :(

heh. been asking for it since it was revealed. I'll only have to guess it just doesn't fit well if 12 spartans are suddenly missing, and it just wouldn't be anywhere near fair (or interesting enough) if there were 24 spartans actively nailing the A.I. a.k.a. they never designed Warzone for pure PvE.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Microsoft hooked me up with early release copies.

E47Gcp5.jpg

I was trying to find some examples of LGBT characters in the Haloverse and so far I've only come across two openly gay ones, but man, Waypoint's got some serious manbabies that are trying to keep traditional family values in a game about blowing aliens' heads off:

boop

boo-wop

Also found this gem of a page from halogaf:

ba-doop

Will you be able to play as any type of character (ex: Elite, Forerunner, ext...)

Everyone plays as a Spartan in Halo 5 multiplayer. This includes both Warzone and Arena.

Well, they were just hanging on to that little nugget until Warzone was announced weren't they?

Fucking hell what does 343 have against elites being playable?

In the final version of warzone, will the original announcer be present? I noticed that in the gameplay released when a player got a double kill or a killing spree nothing got announced.

Jeff Steizer returns as the voice of Halo’s classic announcer in Arena. For Warzone we feature Jennifer Hale (the voice of Commander Palmer). Throughout the game, Palmer provides real-time updates on the status of the match including events like boss spawns, boss takedowns and base conversions. This helps players to strategize on which objectives they want to go after next.

Ew, no why? I don't want Palmer being my medal announcer!!

Well, they were just hanging on to that little nugget until Warzone was announced weren't they?

For Arena a la H2 and H3: Probably not wanting to deal with model/hitbox issues.
For special gametypes like Reach: Probably just not a feature that easily fits in with their primary multiplayer suite design objectives, and was too much work as a secondary feature.

For Arena a la H2 and H3: Probably not wanting to deal with model/hitbox issues.

For special gametypes like Reach: Probably just not a feature that easily fits in with their primary multiplayer suite design objectives, and was too much work as a secondary feature.

There were model and hitbox issues? never noticed.

Doesn't matter, theirs a demand for Elites being playable again and I thought since they did make a big deal out of it when H2A's multiplayer was being shown it made them reconsider. if those are their reasons then it just sounds like they are just looking for excuses at this point.

Doesn't matter, theirs a demand for Elites being playable again and I thought since they did make a big deal out of it when H2A's multiplayer was being shown it made them reconsider. if those are their reasons then it just sounds like they are just looking for excuses at this point.

There's a demand for a lot of things. It's impossible to include them all however, so you're never, ever going to have a product that has everything everyone wants. Certain things are prioritized over others, and that's pretty much all I can say. That said, I honestly don't think playable Elites are as hugely demanded as you may think, and I say this as a person who played a lot of Covy Slayer, Invasion, and even Dino Blasters.

And they were the cowardly anti-sniper trolls. *shakes fist*

Warzone PvE. LET'S MAKE SOME NOISE PLZ, DO WANT.

Also, I have a lack of Halo players on my FL. Add me for (UK) Halo idiocy: RedSparrows.

FyreWulff

Even though I loved playing as an Elite (unique, and their animations had a lot more character to them), a strange fact is the only reason we can play as Elites in Halo 2, 3, and Reach is because Bungie kept trying to do Invasion and not being able to get it in, and Elites were just simply left over from that.

They finally ship Invasion in Reach and no Halo game afterwards has let you play as an Elite, likely because 343 never tried Invasion again.

Playing as an Elite in Reach was super nerfed as it was. Pretty much only in customs since all the matchmaking gametypes forced your player model to Spartan and that disappeared once people started playing TU gametypes (which also forced everyone to Spartan)

iirc near the end of Halo 3's lifespan, Bungie revealed about 1 in 10 people were Elites.

only 1/10th of Halo 3 users awesome confirmed

Ramirez

Nah, playable Elites are shit, denied!

I think 343 will get it about right for medal call outs.
Probably won't be as good as Steitzer's iconic voice but I can imagine they'll pull it off.

Her tones are a but too serious in the games and cgi cutscenes. I honestly didn't care much about what she had to say majority of the time.

Although I think they'll play around with it towards where the voice actress can be a bit more creative in expressing medals and sprees (perhaps not too H4-ish). Maybe announce a satire line in a rare occasion when your team has pushed for a base or boss and won she'll say for ex. "Heh, I thought they'd be taller.." OR "Good job, Eggheads! I mean, Spartans!" "PRESS THAT REQ BUTTON, CRIMSON!"

Halo #Butts strike again

Also day 2 of hanging at my buds and I brought my bone this time since he's been whining for the past month of how he never gets to play MCC.

I watched him for several games straight swap to the SMG/AR on halo 2 and 3 on BR starts...almost sure he was trying to mess with me.

Another one of my friends commented that halo 4 looked like hell to play and asked why adrift was nothing but corridors. (he'd never seen Halo 4 gameplay)

and the last in our group kept cracking up when ever Rob kept getting sniped on anniversary and the spartan would twirl in the air like handsome squidward.

You should play Halo 3. Elite models there have big issues with hit detection and hitbox... Its for the better.

1 in 10 people is still a huge number on such a large playerbase.

Totally sad we can't play as elites.
Looks like there is no UNSC aircraft either? Pretty disappointed.

I imagine far less than those 10% are actually deeply upset by the exclusion however.

Honestly, it's really just not worth the effort if they're functionally identical, and it's a hell of a lot of work to make them completely unique, which involves building all kinds of unique systems and game modes. I'd love to see them come back, but I don't think it's unreasonable that 343i aren't invested in that feature.

And they said no UNSC aircraft in Warzone at launch. Who knows about Arena, Campaign, or DLC/updates.

TheOddOne

- GR: Halo 5 preserves the series' spirit of freedom, despite that misleading E3 demo.
'So you can appreciate why the Halo 5 trailer made me do a scream in my mouth. Particularly as the ethos of Call of Duty and Halo are so intrinsically different. The former likes to build excitement through theatrics, carefully-managed set-pieces and Hollywood bombast. Halo favours a more emergent, cerebral sandbox style of play, where the theatrics come not from fireworks but from the gunplay itself.

It's not just one thing that makes a Halo game a Halo game – it's everything – the finely-balanced spread of weapons, vehicles and enemy types, and how the interplay between these things allows the designers to remix the action simply by plugging in and out different toys from their extensive toybox.
The campaign trailer displays little of this. New Promethean soldiers and warships whet the appetite – the more toys for the toybox, the merrier – but the context they are placed in certainly does not. Take the Doom trailer we mentioned in passing at the beginning as a comparable; the gore might not be to everyone’s tastes, but, it is unmistakably coded as a Doom game – from the meaty shotguns, to the fast, whirling combat, to the art style, to the brief BFG cameo, it is everything you could reasonably expect a modern Doom game to be.
So is the Battle of Sunaion representative of the entire campaign? Is Call of Duty influencing Halo 5's design more than we'd like? I asked exactly that question to Chris Lee, Lead Producer:

“I would say for the E3 keynote demo that some of the destruction and chaos that was going on in the mission was intended to be indicative of a specific design principle where we want to create more options and more flexibility for the player when they play through the spaces.

“With the tracking system, the player can be dropped into much larger playing spaces with multiple different ways of acheving the objective with your squad. Throughout the campaign, as you progress, you'll actually get more and more of these larger spaces that we were only able to build when we moved to dedicated servers on Xbox One. You didn't really get to see that in the demo, but that is definitely something you'll see”.
I didn't see any of that.

Madness

Will be just like Halo: Reach... 'Hey six leave that lone wolf shit behind, now go on a suicide mission yourself, you'll see Jorge or Kat or Emile for a few seconds during your missions but they'll be all but useless'.

I hope we actually get to keep the team with you for a lot of the missions. Not just, Chief you take that dangerous route while us three scout ahead elsewhere etc.

Will be just like Halo: Reach... 'Hey six leave that lone wolf shit behind, now go on a suicide mission yourself, you'll see Jorge or Kat or Emile for a few seconds during your missions but they'll be all but useless'.

I hope we actually get to keep the team with you for a lot of the missions. Not just, Chief you take that dangerous route while us three scout ahead elsewhere etc.
Well that would be kinda redundant. With the squad commands and all. Would just defeat the purpose of the concept and the Artemis system.

I read all of it. What I think he was saying is that the small snippet was supposed to give you a quick look at what should be expected in the campaign. In fact he said, "you really didn't get to see that." things like scanning for important items, different paths to take, and issuing orders etc.

Since the E3 demo was extremely controlled for demoing purposes, what was shown is indicative of their actual design philosophy, not indicative of the final product.

That's what I got out if it anyways.

AlStrong

Since the E3 demo was extremely controlled for demoing purposes, what was shown is indicative of their actual design philosophy, not indicative of the final product.

mm... I wonder if folks would be ok with just an extended montage of snippets from around the campaign & cinematics ala the Halo 3 E3 2007 trailer.
#TeamMarty

i.e.

loads of gameplay segments - FPS, vehicles, turrets, butts, synchronized music, blowing up phantom, scarab...

Omni

mm... I wonder if folks would be ok with just an extended montage of snippets from around the campaign & cinematics ala the Halo 3 E3 2007 trailer.
#TeamMarty

i.e.

loads of gameplay segments - FPS, vehicles, turrets, butts, synchronized music, blowing up phantom, scarab...

I honestly don't like those trailers. They reveal far too much. That montage linked shows snippets of almost every location and event in the game. Much rather experience those things first hand.

Akai__

Questions I'd have loved to be answered in the Q&A:

- What's the total map split gonna be like? So far, we have 7 Arena maps (counting Forge maps), 2 Breakout maps and 1 known Warzone map + 5 other confirmed ones. 15 in total, which means there are 5 left for Arena and Breakout.
- Do Forge/Breakout maps count towards the map count?
- How (and in which time period) will the free maps be released?
- Do we really need an other 6 Warzone maps after launch?

Exactly 4 months until release, so there's plenty of time to clarify these things.

m23

Questions I'd have loved to be answered in the Q&A:

- What's the total map split gonna be like? So far, we have 7 Arena maps (counting Forge maps), 2 Breakout maps and 1 known Warzone map + 5 other confirmed ones. 15 in total, which means there are 5 left for Arena and Breakout.
- Do Forge/Breakout maps count towards the map count?
- How (and in which time period) will the free maps be released?
- Do we really need an other 6 Warzone maps after launch?

Exactly 4 months until release, so there's plenty of time to clarify these things.

Well, I think they'd want to support Warzone as much as possible since they will be making money off of that mode. Not really a negative, and I think it's understandable since we are getting free maps because of it. Although I will primarily play Arena, I will try out Warzone and play it for fun. I probably won't get into buying battle packs but could be fun when I have a bunch of friends online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom