• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I think they'd want to support Warzone as much as possible since they will be making money off of that mode. Not really a negative, and I think it's understandable since we are getting free maps because of it. Although I will primarily play Arena, I will try out Warzone and play it for fun. I probably won't get into buying battle packs but could be fun when I have a bunch of friends online.

I'll probably shill a few coppers for some packs along the way. Why not? It's also for a good cause!

Madness

They said 20 maps at launch, 15 after which will be free. BTB has its own maps that will come after launch, so do they count as part of the 20 announced, or the 15 which will come later?

They said 20 maps at launch, 15 after which will be free. BTB has its own maps that will come after launch, so do they count as part of the 20 announced, or the 15 which will come later?

The 15, if I had to guess. Might be that they're not included in either, but that's mostly just wishful thinking.

My guess for at-launch map breakdown:

6 Warzone
4 Breakout
10 Arena.

The real question here is: How are they counting the Arena maps? Do Forge maps count against the total? Variants?

Note that they said "at least" in both cases. It's possible we could end up with more on either end - hopefully launch includes twenty maps plus on-disc forge variations, rather than counting them a la Reach.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
The 15, if I had to guess. Might be that they're not included in either, but that's mostly just wishful thinking.

My guess for at-launch map breakdown:

6 Warzone
4 Breakout
10 Arena.

The real question here is: How are they counting the Arena maps? Do Forge maps count against the total? Variants?

i'd be ok with this. hopefully forged maps don't count, but in all likelihood they will - need to inflate back of the box numbers. still don't understand the need for 6 warzone maps (+6 later). seems like overkill, but i think this is the mode they are expecting to be the star experience of halo 5...

I'm kinda hoping they remake Haven, Lockout, and Sanctuary. I could see those maps translating quite interestingly with the new mechanics.

I want to see a more blown-out Chiron, personally. Make the rooms a bit bigger and it's already pretty well-conditioned to work with all the new mechanics: Ground Pound, add in some areas to Slide, plenty of Clamber routes, etc.

Phantom Plasmacaster SWATBall on Mentor all day baby

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I'm kinda hoping they remake Haven, Lockout, and Sanctuary. I could see those maps translating quite interestingly with the new mechanics.

lockout is so not fun, for slayer at least. nothing but pinging from one tower to the next.

I really would like some more H2A maps, but I don't think it's going to happen. One of the reasons I don't really play the H2A playlist that much, not enough maps. Seven maps and only a handful are actually played. Lockdown, Shrine, and Warlord. Remnant is way too large for 4v4 and Stowntown is also somewhat too big for 4v4. Zenith is just hot garbage. So the playlist comes down to playing the same three maps over and over. Obviously Bloodline is excluded because it's too big.

All things considered, let's be conservative here and say they're doubling the Warzone map count after launch - giving us 12 total out of the minimum 35.

BTB isn't a part of launch, so it can be ruled out of the initial twenty, but no doubt will be a big part of the post-launch content. Let's just say it gets another six similar to Halo PC's BTB map count bump. That puts us at 18.

As for Forge, we'll base it off of 343's prior forays (H4, H2AMP) and say we get three canvases. That's 21.

So including Breakout (which I don't doubt will work for other Arena gametypes outside of customs) that gives us ~14 Arena maps - I'm not considering on-disc Forge maps to be a part of that initial 20, so that means we still have room for ~6 maps we aren't familiar with. (Truth / Regret, Empire / Eden, Breakout / Pizzaface, Fathom / Downed Frigate)

I have a feeling that in addition to the free 15 maps by June 2016 we'll also be getting a few additional solo Arena surprises in the same vein as Cold Storage, and given the possibility of more remakes / remixes I imagine it's pretty easy to see us having 20+ unique Arena maps not counting Forge maps by the end of H5G's lifespan.

15 maps across 8 months seems like a pretty high count compared to past games, but I could be remembering wrong.

I really would like some more H2A maps, but I don't think it's going to happen. One of the reasons I don't really play the H2A playlist that much, not enough maps. Seven maps and only a handful are actually played. Lockdown, Shrine, and Warlord. Remnant is way too large for 4v4 and Stowntown is also somewhat too big for 4v4. Zenith is just hot garbage. So the playlist comes down to playing the same three maps over and over. Obviously Bloodline is excluded because it's too big.
H2A has a really nice forge mode and for some reason there are no forge maps in matchmaking. 343 needs to add some forge maps to the H2A playlist for the sake of variety.

Akai__

Just completed Deja Vu and noticed that my progress for the Killjoy achievement reset from ~80ish % to 3%. And the 1st Audio Lock is still saying "Done! Unlocking..." since ODST was released.

They are really my least favorite alien designs of 343i
I'd much rather have seen them double down on the proto-avian Skirmishers design from Reach. No aliens in a sci-fi game looked like that. Now they're just midget humanoid Godzillas.

I kinda feel like 343's Jackals look like plucked Skirmishers. I would love to see Skirmishers make a comeback, but I just want the creepy avian alien Jackals with the big eyes back. I really dug their vulture-like like look, it translated to a more unique enemy and conveyed they behavior much more appropriately.

The new Jackals feel like monsters, the old ones felt like aliens.

It's at night....? And it's half destroyed. Hard to look sleek when your city is falling apart.

I'm guessing this looked pretty grand in its heyday

I get most excited when we see unexplored worlds like Requiem. Giant Forerunner structures in the distance. Grand floating structures that we could not humanly create on one end of the scale. The other end is when even the fauna look intimidating, such as this:

These are the parts of Halo 5 I am going to love to visit.

I realize it's night, but I still think the architectural style isn't translating the best, especially with all the chaos erupting. Maybe with some tweaks in the lighting and shaders it'll pop out as more alien like.

oVcHBmj.gif

Will we finally get better water in Halo games? Stinkles should write a Bulletin about it, if you ask me.

I'm going to be so sad if this part from The Sprint doesn't make it into the game. They always tease these really cool things in ViDocs that get cut, haha.

I'm interested in comparing these two collectors editions after seeing on Game.co.uk they are the same price (£79.99)

I've never played Destiny and it's impossible to know the scope of Halo 5 itself, and so this isn't about which game has more/better content for the asking price. But on a presentation/graphic design point of view, the Destiny package looks so much more enticing.

Maybe the Halo Req stuff is all up in the air, but Destiny displays all the digital content and makes it look super sexy, whereas the Halo version is just a logo.

Halo5LE.jpg

Again, after seeing they were both the same price, thought it was interesting to look at both packages.

Whoa, whoa whoa, wait what.

Animated Fall of Reach series!? Is there a thread about that?

This is why I love Halo.

U4c3TvS.jpg

Now there's a thing of beauty.

Wonder how it'd compare if it were in the game.

Oh, what's this from? I love the art, armor and clothing style here. It really looks Halo to me, more so than some of the game stuff I have seen.

It is from the cover of the next Halo novel Last Light

Thanks!

Something about that art style is making me really nostalgic. The arty style is different, but I can't help but be reminded of Ghosts of Onyx. I was so absorbed into the fiction then, and for a while after. I know it's silly to judge a book by its cover, but I am pretty tempted to attempt to get back into them because of the art.

Shoot I have a lot of catching up to do.

This is more like it HaloGAF. No more "manly" mixed fruit ciders.

Have a real cider. Somerset. Not any of the mass-produced shit. Chaplin & Cork's Reserve is very good, but you can find something for any taste. Dry, cloudy, strong, bitter, full - whatever your tastebuds want. That said, if you ever want a sweet cider, give Brother's Toffee Apple a go. Won't regret it.

There's a reason that I am a cider drinker.

I'd far rather microtransactions (in the PvZ style) with free DLC so the community remains united over the alternatives; split community or an abandoned game.

I don't think anybody disagrees with you, so long as the earn rate isn't punitive. ME3 hit the sweet spot for me, 2-3 matches (or less, depending on difficulty) to get the highest rarity pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom