• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think 343's armor style is a little too rounded(?), it's not bad but I liked the slightly more angular look.

Oh whoops, shoulda linked the original. Looks like someone helped out there. :)

Looking forward to it. Seems like it's Fred there in the full wallpaper.

No worries, Hypertrooper was on the case!

Olivia's armor better be in H5. It and Tanaka's suit (in concept art at least) are the only two I like so far. I really wish they had made Tanaka's suit look more like Reach Commander + Stormtrooper the way it does in that Solairon art. She looks like a walking tank that could actually spar with IIs.

h5-guardians-concept-campaign-battle-of-sunaion-firestorm-ef8a6c8eacfd4d42ac50c16edc834486.jpg

Whoa, this looks good. Where's it from?

Welp, the boasting has begun haha. :p

Just remembered we did just hit this critical milestone.

c6THxzm.png

There is much about this game and its promotion that is deserving of its fiercest criticism, if not necessarily the rage that comes along in tow. But never forget what an absolute phenomenon it has been, here and elsewhere across the gaming world. No matter what is written and what is remembered when all is said and done, we all were here to witness something undeniably huge. I'm honored to have been a part of it.

Two Bungie-created gaming franchises, leading the pack. Kinda cool.

willow ve

A title across 4 systems produces more posts than a franchise on one, news at 11.

And as I said over there - a huge part of the posting is simple LFG. On reset days you'll have 10+ pages of people just posting "need 2 for blah" and then 8 responses to that.

Not that I care either way, just funny how people measure their franchises - fun to play with DGAF.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
One more? Anyone?

Need one more for PoE 34. I'm only level 33 so it may be a biiit of a struggle. Other friend is 34 and geared.

Anyone up for NM crota?

Anyone up for Trials with Dela and me?

Joining on you.

Still wanna do some trials?

Again, anyone wanna help me with weekly strike?

The reason the Destiny OT has made it to 25 is because Bungie had the incredible shortsightedness to build an 'MMO' that lacked major social features.

Booshka

The reason the Destiny OT has made it to 25 is because Bungie had the incredible shortsightedness to build an 'MMO' that lacked major social features.

I sent plenty of need 1 or To4 messages back in Halo 2 days, add those to the Halo OT's and we'd be on OT 30+

Madness

Crazy to me how resistant people were to even talk about matchmaking being added for raids, as if the option was somehow bad. Half the people who post are like max levels, just wanting people. Surely they could've devised some system where you had to clear once on hard mode etc. The option should've been there at least for matchmaking.

I agree, voice chat off by default, useless dance features. The social aspect is really made outside the game for Destiny.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Been playing all the Halo games and just got to Halo 4 tonight. Really love how much MC talks in 4 as opposed to the other games. I think he has more in the first ten minutes than he did in all the Bungie games.

Been playing all the Halo games and just got to Halo 4 tonight. Really love how much MC talks in 4 as opposed to the other games. I think he has more in the first ten minutes than he did in all the Bungie games.

Have you ever played them before MCC?

Which one do you like the most so far?

What do you think of the stories?

What about the soundtracks?

No. Every game should have them!

With the amount of shit 343i received for putting just high fives into multiplayer, I doubt we'll ever see dances.

Crazy to me how resistant people were to even talk about matchmaking being added for raids, as if the option was somehow bad. Half the people who post are like max levels, just wanting people. Surely they could've devised some system where you had to clear once on hard mode etc. The option should've been there at least for matchmaking.

I agree, voice chat off by default, useless dance features. The social aspect is really made outside the game for Destiny like.

It's mainly Bungie that is against adding MM to end game content, and we all know how stubborn they can be when it comes to their decisions. If they don't want to add MM, fine. However, there should be some type of in-game LFG system. Having to use third party resources for a AAA title is ridiculous.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Have you ever played them before MCC?

Which one do you like the most so far?

What do you think of the stories?

What about the soundtracks?

With the amount of shit 343i received for putting just high fives into multiplayer, I doubt we'll ever see dances.

Yeah, I've played them all multiple times. I'm a huge Halo fanboy.

I've never played them all back to back like this before, though, so it's pretty interesting to be be able to compare them knowing all the games are fresh in your mind.

Halo 3's campaign has the best gameplay and set pieces of all the 4 games (1, 2, 3 and ODST, don't remember much of 4 since I only played it once). I had forgotten how massive some of the levels were. There's not quite like visiting the arc and seeing the fourth Halo being rebuilt.

I think Halo 2 had the best writing and story of all the games by far, though. Truth has a shit ton of amazing lines all throughout the campaign and everything he says is amazingly well written. 3's has a good story as well but the writing isn't as sharp as in 2. Then you have all the stuff with the Brutes and Elites which is all extremely interesting and doesn't feel forced.

I really couldn't pick which game has the best music, I love all of it equally. You can really feel Marty's absence in Halo 4. None of the music jumps at you like Marty's did.

I wish Reach was in the MCC now. I've played that campaign a few times but I don't really remember much of it.

FyreWulff

And as I said over there - a huge part of the posting is simple LFG. On reset days you'll have 10+ pages of people just posting "need 2 for blah" and then 8 responses to that.

Not that I care either way, just funny how people measure their franchises - fun to play with DGAF.

Most of Halo post activities on GAF and other forums were basically LFG too. When people want to talk about playing a game they'll talk about coordinating actually playing a lot.

It's just less noticable since I seem to remember the original Halo OT here was was just one long giant gigathread that couldn't even be archived because it was too big for vBB to process it anymore. It got posted in so much it essentially created the post count limit for GAF.

Ramirez

I agree, voice chat off by default, useless dance features. The social aspect is really made outside the game for Destiny.

The success rate on MM raids would be horrific. ONE person being a dick/bad at the game means it isn't happening when you throw 6 random people together.

Madness

The success rate on MM raids would be horrific. ONE person being a dick/bad at the game means it isn't happening when you throw 6 random people together.

Yeah I get that, but I mean the option is still better than nothing no? What if the requirement was to have beaten hard mode before, be a certain level? I'm pretty sure most of the people who would've been so and so level and have beaten such and such raid before, would mean a greater chance you get 6 competent people. Just as an extra means to try and find people without resorting to forums or other sites.

Edit: sometimes you only needed 1-2 guys to complete the fireteam so that could be good too, being alone and matching up with an existing group or whatnot etc.

Ramirez

Yeah I get that, but I mean the option is still better than nothing no? What if the requirement was to have beaten hard mode before, be a certain level? I'm pretty sure most of the people who would've been so and so level and have beaten such and such raid before, would mean a greater chance you get 6 competent people. Just as an extra means to try and find people without resorting to forums or other sites.

Edit: sometimes you only needed 1-2 guys to complete the fireteam so that could be good too, being alone and matching up with an existing group or whatnot etc.

I think their line of thought is more often than not it would be a miserable experience, perhaps so bad it turned people off of the game, or those activities in particular. They just recently added MM to the weekly Heroic and I see people complaining about the level of play in that, and that's some really simple shit.

daedalius

I didn't remeber halo 4 legendary being quite as difficult as it seems to be now. Maybe those binary crawlers just got a huge upgrade at 60fps

Also, Knights are huge dicks. Oh yea, I just dropped your shield, why don't you teleport charge me and kill me in one hit, great.

I didn't remeber halo 4 legendary being quite as difficult as it seems to be now. Maybe those binary crawlers just got a huge upgrade at 60fps

Also, Knights are huge dicks. Oh yea, I just dropped your shield, why don't you teleport charge me and kill me in one hit, great.

I don't even consider Halo 4 to be difficult, so much as it's just a pain in the ass. The Knight's invincibility frames after their shields being taken down is REALLY annoying. The lack of accurate weaponry when crawlers are pinging at you from a distance. I too found it more difficult this time around. I just flat out don't enjoy the combat in the campaign as much as previous Halo's.

I found that most of the situations just required me to fancily run past everything while chaining together jumps.

I think their line of thought is more often than not it would be a miserable experience, perhaps so bad it turned people off of the game, or those activities in particular. They just recently added MM to the weekly Heroic and I see people complaining about the level of play in that, and that's some really simple shit.

It's going to be interesting to see how well randoms do with the Venus strike in Taken King. That Strike has you grabbing a relic and moving it around throughout and the boss battle has some more raid like mechanics as well. Running that with matchmaking... I dunno, I can see the trolls from a mile away.

It's going to be interesting to see how well randoms do with the Venus strike in Taken King. That Strike has you grabbing a relic and moving it around throughout and the boss battle has some more raid like mechanics as well. Running that with matchmaking... I dunno, I can see the trolls from a mile away.
For all the problems I have with Destiny I will say that the community in it is usually good about not being huge trolls. From my experience they usually want to get through the strike or mission or what ever it is just as much as you do. Mainly because of the grind. I've never really encountered any trolls in Destiny (though I do get matched up with an AFK player every now and then).

Omni

Still not a fan of the new Buck helmet really. It's the side... things that seem a bit too pronounced vs Bungie/ODST.
Pretty much everything about 343i's art direction is a little off.

It's hard to tell from the Warzone footage but it seems the marines look just as bad as they did in Halo 4 too. Ugh.

Madness

What I don't get is, these guys probably have hundreds of internal test marches everyday. How hard is it to film/stream a few matches between the pro team/test team/devs and show it in 60fps on Halo Channel or something? Why do I have to see watermarked stuff or have to search out random YouTube'ers or watch journalists/press fumble around? I mean once you announce something, just show off a heated match between the peeps at 343 or something.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
What I don't get is, these guys probably have hundreds of internal test marches everyday. How hard is it to film/stream a few matches between the pro team/test team/devs and show it in 60fps on Halo Channel or something? Why do I have to see watermarked stuff or have to search out random YouTube'ers or watch journalists/press fumble around? I mean once you announce something, just show off a heated match between the peeps at 343 or something.

Crashes, bugs, unrealed content, incomplete content, etc, etc

Big games and companies have multi-million dollar marketing "narratives" too with fixed plans and schedules, tied to development milestones and schedules.

So you're right, it's very easy to record a test match, but broadcasting it outside of the studio isn't as simple.

Madness

Crashes, bugs, unrealed content, incomplete content, etc, etc

Big games and companies have multi-million dollar marketing "narratives" too with fixed plans and schedules, tied to development milestones and schedules.

So you're right, it's very easy to record a test match, but broadcasting it outside of the studio isn't as simple.

True, but I mean why do I have to watch random press/game journos or YouTube videos of Warzone game play or something, when that same build/map, I can see the pro team taking on the test team? I mean once they announced Warzone, showed the vidoc, the sprint, instead of watching poor IGN game play, wouldn't it be better to see an in-studio match?

MM in the weekly is fine I guess but I miss being able to solo that activity for skill-honing. Nightfall is still a solo event if you so choose thankfully. I'd say about 25% of the time or less you get MM with randoms who either are outright awful or just stand at the spawn point and are afk (for the no death bounties).

I don't want MM in raids. No. No no no. Leave that for LFG! LFG works really really well and I've met some really solid folks who I then continued to play with for weeks and months after and some I still do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom