• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't like ADS or sprint but there's really no point in complaining about it since it's here to stay. IMO Destiny would be fine with faster base movement, "Halo" scope, and the removal of ADS and Sprint.

But AAA devs have to appeal to the mass audience so I really don't post about those things anymore.

TheXbox

• Dual wielding unnecessarily watered down the weapon sandbox
  • Extremely generous aim assist made shootouts stale and less skillful, especially if you weren't host
  • Long kill times
  • Necessity to teamshoot
  • Overpowered motion tracker
  • Armor Abilities off spawn
  • The Halo 3 BR.
  • Halo 3 in general
  • The list goes on..
Like the incoherent ramblings of a madman scrawled on the wall of his cell. Teamshotting worse than sprint? What universe is this?

This new wave of Halo 3 hipster-hatred is disturbing. It's like Stockholm Syndrome, but really smug.

-Ryn

Banned
2 quick notes:
  1. I called you a Kid, quite different from a "kid"
  2. In terms of gameplay, Halo 2 and Halo 3 did more harm than good to this franchise, in my opinion at least.
I'd say Sandtrap CTF made it worth it.

Lol thanks I guess? Had no idea ADS was basically Satan's anus. Oh well.
I'd sooner take Satan's anus than choose ADS over hip fire.

ADS (or even just zoom) has its own role in combat and I hate when games like Destiny that have so much mobility and intense action force you to fuck all of that and shove a rifle but up your nose to fire accurately. Yeah some guns have a hip fire accuracy boost but the reticle looks like ass.

Let's be fair for a second here. While ADS is bad. Sprint did way more damage to Halo.
Nope.

Nope nope nope.

Sprint has its downsides and its upsides, but what are the upsides of ADS?

rrc1594

I think Sandtrap is the best Halo map of all-time next to guardian. Never a dull moment in Sandtrap. Halo 3 has the best BTB maps

-Ryn

Banned
I think Sandtrap is the best Halo map of all-time next to guardian. Never a dull moment in Sandtrap. Halo 3 has the best BTB maps
I'd like to see a sandtrap remake where there are structures around the outer edges of the map and in the muddle areas as well that take advantage of Halo 5's movement abilities for cool jumps and slick moves. I'll draw up a shitty blueprint.

m23

ADS (or even just zoom) has its own role in combat and I hate when games like Destiny that have so much mobility and intense action force you to fuck all of that and shove a rifle but up your nose to fire accurately. Yeah some guns have a hip fire accuracy boost but the reticle looks like ass.

Nope.

Nope nope nope.

Sprint has its downsides and its upsides, but what are the upsides of ADS?

Yeah, especially for a game like Titanfall. I love Titanfall but I can only imagine how great it could have been without ADS.

Impala26

I never realized how slow your movement speed was or how inconsistent the BR was in Halo 3 until I played some in MCC.

That said, I've had nothing but fond memories in Halo 3 on High Ground, Guardian, The Pit, Standoff, Sandtrap and Avalanche. So if I can keep games to those while playing H3 I can tolerate it.

The issue with H4 BTB wasn't the maps so much as it was the fact that because of loadouts where you could spawn with Plasma Pistol and/or Plasma Grenades, it basically made all vehicles death traps rather than the lethal but not unstoppable forces to deal with in MP in previous titles. They were also evidently constructed from paper mache.

The issue with H4 BTB wasn't the maps so much as it was the fact that because of loadouts where you could spawn with Plasma Pistol and/or Plasma Grenades, it basically made all vehicles death traps rather than the lethal but not unstoppable forces to deal with in MP in previous titles. They were also evidently constructed from paper mache.

Even the Scorpion was basically a pinata.

Ramirez

Wesley, nothing about Haven is a classic. It was merely an ok map in a sea of shit, which made it seem so much better than it was. Side call outs on that map were impossible when it launched, and it they didn't add colors until like a year later?

And Akai, I don't disagree with you on anything, embrace me boo.

rrc1594

I never realized how slow your movement speed was or how inconsistent the BR was in Halo 3 until I played some in MCC.

That said, I've had nothing but fond memories in Halo 3 on High Ground, Guardian, The Pit, Standoff, Sandtrap and Avalanche. So if I can keep games to those while playing H3 I can tolerate it.

I agree before MCC if you ask me what is my fav Halo 3 hands down would of been the answer. Outside of BTB I dredd playing it now. Still love it, but not my favorite play right now. That would go to Halo CE

-Ryn

Banned
Yeah, especially for a game like Titanfall. I love Titanfall but I can only imagine how great it could have been without ADS.
If Halo and Titanfall had a baby it'd be my dream shooter.

I'd probably never
need to
play another FPS again.

Wesley, nothing about Haven is a classic. It was merely an ok map in a sea of shit, which made it seem so much better than it was. Side call outs on that nap were impossible when it launched, and it they didn't add colors until like a year later?

And Akai, I don't disagree with you on anything, embrace me boo.
I never understood why everyone loved Haven so much. In retrospect I guess it makes sense since it was one of the only decent 4v4 maps Halo 4 had. As you said, the bar was not exactly high...

willow ve

ADS looks bad and feels bad in Halo. It's one of the main reasons I didn't pre-order Halo 5. For me personally it was a deal breaker. Change for the sake of change.

Might still pick up the game down the line (I am a Halo kid), but this isn't where I personally hoped the series was headed.

rrc1594

None of Halo 4 maps are classic they all suck. I never really shit on Halo 4, but maps fucking sucked straight up sucked. Some people say because Sprint mess up map design. look I don't know. Maps were ass tho.

ADS is quite literally the ONLY issue I have with Halo 5. I very much enjoyed the beta but could never shake the thought in my mind that it was a completely unnecessary change.
Why not just keep Zoom and still have Ads? I would rather enjoy donging kids knowing I will dominant with either mechanic. Carbine + smart scope looks to be more accurate than with zoom.

While we are at it.

Turning the flood into a powder and having the humans and forerunners fight a war was worse than anything they did with Halsey.

Halo 3's sandbox is great but BR spread and movement aren't as good as Halo 2.

ZB Reach is better than Halo 4.

BR starts are best for ranked. ARs are fine in social.

MLG was better than HCS or whatever they are doing now.

Forge maps are still bad.

ODST firefight was better than Reach.

Nothing was fun about Spartan Ops.

Impala26

There is ONE big FPS game coming out this fall that doesn't feature ADS as its main gameplay mechanic...

star-wars-battlefront-gameplay.jpg

Welp, bad news guys. Doctor says I can't drink anymore, the amount of alcohol I'm consuming is starting to take its toll on me bad. She said if I drink anymore I might have another stroke.

Halo.

and the vehicles just suddenly blowing up on you despite your shields unlike Halo 2/3

why Bungie decided to make a vehicle health system independent of the recharging shields of the player I'll never know. Especially when you can't repair the damn thing like other games with independent vehicle health systems like Unreal Tournament 2004/3 or the Battlefield series. Or even just having a fuckin' health meter to relay some exact information to the player.

Impala26

No Space battles tho :(

Without missing a beat...

Honestly this doesn't bother me as much as not being able to fight in Clone War era battles. Playing as a Droideka is just too damn fun.

and the vehicles just suddenly blowing up on you despite your shields unlike Halo 2/3

why Bungie decided to make a vehicle health system independent of the recharging shields of the player I'll never know. Especially when you can't repair the damn thing like other games with independent vehicle health systems like Unreal Tournament 2004/3 or the Battlefield series. Or even just having a fuckin' health meter to relay some exact information to the player.

Agreed, especially on the last bit. If vehicle HP is no longer to be tied to driver's health/shields than it needs to be displayed a la Covenant vehicles in the Halo CE campaign.

Fuchsdh

Yep. Halo 4 at least made it clear that your vehicle was a few bullets away from blowing, but either tying it to player health or having a bar you could keep an eye on would make it far less frustrating.

Haruko

Welp, bad news guys. Doctor says I can't drink anymore, the amount of alcohol I'm consuming is starting to take its toll on me bad. She said if I drink anymore I might have another stroke.

Halo.

"I outta has was" is immortal, but our bodies sadly are not.

Do what you gotta do to get healthy, man. Wish ya well

H5 is probably gonna end up being my favorite, nostalgia memories aside. Crazy smooth gameplay with 60 fps (h3 was sluggish), dedicated servers (h3 nerd rage), movement options and new options not being shitty (h3 slowness and reach/4 additions sucking), really polished high production value (h2 janky), heavily reduced autoaim/magnetism (h2) hopefully not awful storytelling (h4) and renewed focus on competitiveness (reach/h4).

Now they just need to show me improved theatre (spectator mode hnnnng) and forge (h4 lack of file share-lol) and I'm so in.

Today, I received a package in the mail!

Now I officially own every single current Halo novel, and my shelf is uniform. I replaced like four of the smaller paperbacks.

I'm still working towards getting all of the comics/graphic novels, art books, visual guides, etc... I do have quite a few of those as well, though.

I decided I wanted the Forerunner trilogy in hardcover, with the rest being paperback due to inconsistency in hardcover releases.

Time to get caught up on Halo's lore.

Today, I received a package in the mail!

Now I officially own every single current Halo novel, and my shelf is uniform. I replaced like four of the smaller paperbacks.

I'm still working towards getting all of the comics/graphic novels, art books, visual guides, etc... I do have quite a few of those as well, though.

I decided I wanted the Forerunner trilogy in hardcover, with the rest being paperback due to inconsistency in hardcover releases.

Time to get caught up on Halo's lore.

Very, very nice! The Forerunner and Kilo-Five trilogies are awesome, particularly the final books in each (Silentium and Mortal Dictata). Enjoy!

OrochiJR

Guys, I'm playing through the Halo games for the first time right now, via the MCC, liking it very much so far. I apparently got the wrong impression of the series all these years, as the setting of the games seem to have more in common with Star Wars than with any run of the mill military shooter.
So, does the remastered Halo 2 look reeeally good, or is Halo 3 just one ugly motherfucker o_O I realise that Halo 3 is the oldest game in the collection, but I believe it came out after the first Gears of War and it still looks...not so good. At least that is my impression just coming of Halo 2 Anniversary and playing the first few levels of the Halo 3 campaign.

Guys, I'm playing through the Halo games for the first time right now, via the MCC, liking it very much so far. I apparently got the wrong impression of the series all these years, as the setting of the games seem to have more in common with Star Wars than with any run of the mill military shooter.
So, does the remastered Halo 2 look reeeally good, or is Halo 3 just one ugly motherfucker o_O I realise that Halo 3 is the oldest game in the collection, but I believe it came out after the first Gears of War and it still looks...not so good. At least that is my impression just coming of Halo 2 Anniversary and playing the first few levels of the Halo 3 campaign.

Halo 3 wasn't that great overall, looks wise. The environments were decent, and the sky boxes excellent as always, but the character models and animations were janky as heck. Weapon sandbox was lacking. It also aged horribly haha.

I will say that halo 3's story was great. It just wasn't the most pleasing thing to look at.. Especially now, when compared to Halo and Halo 2 remasters and how gorgeous halo 4 still is.

Booshka

Halo 3 looks mediocre because it was Bungie Halo, they prioritized having a ton of features and content, over image quality and FPS.

Halo 3 wasn't that great overall, looks wise. The environments were decent, and the sky boxes excellent as always, but the character models and animations were janky as heck. Weapon sandbox was lacking. It also aged horribly haha.

I will say that halo 3's story was great. It just wasn't the most pleasing thing to look at haha.

It looks great!

char_55673.jpg

ADS as implemented in COD is bad, in Titanfall and Destiny it's a travesty. Totally ruins the otherwise excellent movemt-gunplay integration when you're hopping around like a flying squirrel on PCP and suddenly you're forced to choose between hitting your target or falling out of the sky. Real bummer.

H5's implementation doesn't really bother me, though I agree with whoever suggested keeping precision weapons on traditional scope. I actually like it on automatics, makes them viable for the first time in forever.

-Ryn

Banned

I will say that halo 3's story was great. It just wasn't the most pleasing thing to look at.. Especially now, when compared to Halo and Halo 2 remasters and how gorgeous halo 4 still is.
When you have levels like "The Covenant", looks don't mean jack shit :p

Shadowrun bro
I fully intend to buy it. It's on the LIVE marketplace yeah?

So Halo MCC matchmaking down? Cant get players
Nah I'm playing fine right now. What playlist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom