• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booshka

When you have levels like "The Covenant", looks don't mean jack shit :p

I fully intend to buy it. It's on the LIVE marketplace yeah?

I think so, although insanely overpriced. Hopefully they lower it when it becomes backwards compatible, it's like 5 bucks used wherever you can find it.

-Ryn

Banned
I think so, although insanely overpriced. Hopefully they lower it when it becomes backwards compatible, it's like 5 bucks used wherever you can find it.
Sweet thanks. I'll see if I can find it at a games shop when I head out today. Been wanting to check it out based on how you guys talk about it. Can't wait for it to be backwards compatible :D

HTupolev

Agreed, especially on the last bit. If vehicle HP is no longer to be tied to driver's health/shields than it needs to be displayed a la Covenant vehicles in the Halo CE campaign.
Yeah, the really big issue with Reach's health system was how opaque it was. Many people never even realized that vehicle health had regeneration similar to that on your spartan.

Guys, I'm playing through the Halo games for the first time right now, via the MCC, liking it very much so far. I apparently got the wrong impression of the series all these years, as the setting of the games seem to have more in common with Star Wars than with any run of the mill military shooter.
So, does the remastered Halo 2 look reeeally good, or is Halo 3 just one ugly motherfucker o_O I realise that Halo 3 is the oldest game in the collection, but I believe it came out after the first Gears of War and it still looks...not so good. At least that is my impression just coming of Halo 2 Anniversary and playing the first few levels of the Halo 3 campaign.
Halo 3 was pretty early in the seventh gen and still had very sixth-gen animation and authoring. It also doesn't really prioritize poly density; that's something that was really picked up with Reach and 4 (likely at the detriment of split-screen performance, since extra geometry passes would be harder to scale). Halo 3's graphical horsepower was mostly dedicated to expressive shading.

Personally I think it looks gorgeous, but it's a strange transitional title that isn't necessary graphically refined.

pOYjwaR.jpg

Pretty cool stuff. I wish they were working on something new, but I believe this is all from the ODST live action trailer.

halo-5-interview-screen-5.0.jpg

Anyone else think this looks kinda rough, graphically.

Yeah..

Visually Halo 5 just doesn't look too hot, which makes me wonder how the hell split screen didn't make the cut.

I'm sure the game will be fun, just it's not much of a looker. Weird.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Haven't they said that it doesn't matter either way? Ads and hip fire have the same amount of accuracy, it's just a matter of preference, and following fps trends, etc.
They said that, but the proof is in the pudding. The ar and smg saw fairly significant bonuses while "smart scoped" in the beta and we know several guns have alternate fire modes. It's definitely still a concern that ads offers advantages.

Haruko

You know what little thing we don't have anymore that I miss?

Voice comms getting cut off with a death cry when you die, in game chat.

Cross-game party chat sure is nice, but sometimes I wish I could trade it back in for Team+Proximity Chat of days gone by.

Cross-game party chat sure is nice, but sometimes I wish I could trade it back in for Team+Proximity Chat of days gone by.

I agree, that was incredibly fun. It's like Bungie was onto something with all these new fantastical ideas they were adding at the very onset of online play. And then 10 years later we get...Destiny?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I played splitscreen yesterday for the first time in a few years. It was a blast. RIP.

-Ryn

Banned
Mmmmm true... I enjoyed the story of Halo 3. Very, very much. The looks just stick out like a sore thumb on the MCC haha. :p
lol yeah the graphical boost has been a bit of a double edged sword for 3. On the one hand it has highlighted a lot of small details that show just how beautiful that game was. On the other hand it shines some light on the less gorgeous aspects as well.

I had to play one round of snipers to get players in the other playlists lol
Yeah that happened to me in BTB a couple times last night. The system is weird.

That split screen problem is ridiculous. Halo 1-2 was the last time when i played with split screen...
My roommate and I were planning on playing co op together on opening night. Now we need to get another TV and Xbone if we want to. Same situation for our other roommates who are married.

Proximity chat when you shit on dudes in-game

"OH MY GO-*voice cuts out*"

and then the post-game trash talk

now everybody its in their little safe bubble of party chat and nobody says shit to each other

PooBone

There is ONE big FPS game coming out this fall that doesn't feature ADS as its main gameplay mechanic...

star-wars-battlefront-gameplay.jpg

You mean the game that also has split screen multiplayer?

I'm getting pretty close to preordering Battlefront and just renting Halo 5 for the campaign.

now everybody its in their little safe bubble of party chat and nobody says shit to each other

It's fucking terrible. Party chat is the worst thing to ever happen in multiplayer gaming, although I guess it had to happen. Everybody used to talk shit and it was great. But yea, nothing better than talking shit as you're taking someone down.

PooBone

My roommate and I were planning on playing co op together on opening night. Now we need to get another TV and Xbone if we want to. Same situation for our other roommates who are married.

And even then, you have to do it over the internet because apparently LAN has also been chopped?

PooBone

Yeah sucks that it's not online

Still a better option than asking your friend to come over and drink a few beers and play a game, only to then have him turn around and buy an xbox and then go home and hook it up so we can have a social experience.

-Ryn

Banned

I miss teasing the enemy team while I waited for my Warthog/Mongoose/Ghost/Banshee/Myteamissomprisedofbagelssoiguessimhoofinit ride.

It was the best of times. Sadly even convincing my buddies on LIVE to go to game chat is hard.

And even then, you have to do it over the internet because apparently LAN has also been chopped?
Yuuuuup. Luckily we have 5GHz WiFi and good speeds so it shouldnt be too bad, but getting rid of LAN sucks. Though that's more on Microsoft if I recall correctly.

PooBone

Yuuuuup. Luckily we have 5GHz WiFi and good speeds so it shouldnt be too bad, but getting rid of LAN sucks. Though that's more on Microsoft if I recall correctly.

Given my online co-op experience in every single Halo game has been sub-par, and given the issues 343 has had with online infrastructures and whatnot, let's just say I'm not holding my breath.

Well, I mean that's good for you I guess.

Plenty of people still use splitscreen. One of my favorite things is having my friend over with a few beers and some splitscreen games, typically Halo.

If i wanna play with my friend, i tell him, and he bring the console to me. In one house, 2 console (1 monitor, 1 TV), and no sleep, just Halo.

I remember Halo 4, if we try split screen, the game changed 4:3... :(

TBH, I didn't play Halo 4 as much so the issues that arose in that game aren't something I really recall now.

It's just... There hasn't been a playable Halo splitscreen title since Reach in 2010 and even that was inferior to Halo 3's. The writing's been in the wall with splitscreen for a while now.

daedalius

ADS as implemented in COD is bad, in Titanfall and Destiny it's a travesty. Totally ruins the otherwise excellent movemt-gunplay integration when you're hopping around like a flying squirrel on PCP and suddenly you're forced to choose between hitting your target or falling out of the sky. Real bummer.

H5's implementation doesn't really bother me, though I agree with whoever suggested keeping precision weapons on traditional scope. I actually like it on automatics, makes them viable for the first time in forever.

Icarus!

Let's you shoot in the air

I too miss the days of classic Halo 2 chats where women were called 12-year-olds and any sudden movement thrust you into a maelstrom of ethnic and homophobic slurs

Also drunk-ass brohams singing in the mic and assholes screaming until they were muted

Booshka

I too miss the days of classic Halo 2 chats where women were called 12-year-olds and any sudden movement thrust you into a maelstrom of ethnic and homophobic slurs

Also drunk-ass brohams singing in the mic and assholes screaming until they were muted

The Good Ole Days of Halo Yore. People actually miss this?

Yes, the Salad Days of Xbox Live. Through all the hate, there was also some camaraderie.

If i wanna play with my friend, i tell him, and he bring the console to me. In one house, 2 console (1 monitor, 1 TV), and no sleep, just Halo.

I remember Halo 4, if we try split screen, the game changed 4:3... :(

We used to do it that way, but as we got bigger TVs it became more of a hassle and risk, haha.

It's just... There hasn't been a playable Halo splitscreen title since Reach in 2010 and even that was inferior to Halo 3's. The writing's been in the wall with splitscreen for a while now.

Oh I agree, but it's still disappointing.

It would be nice to have splitscreen MP or something like Firefight at least.

Me: "Hey team! I'm sitting by the broken entrance of their base (Zanzibar), waiting for you to get here!"

-several red dots head towards broken entrance, leaving an opening to grab the flag/arm the bomb-

Enemies: "He's grabbing the flag! WE'VE BEEN MIND GAM--"

-mic cuts off as they die-

If they brought this back, I would talk in party chats less often.

belushy

Banned
Not sure if Gaflo is still going on but I got a new PC recently. Kinda interested in helping out. Gonna download ue4 soon and see how it runs.

Yes, the Salad Days of Xbox Live. Through all the hate, there was also some camaraderie.

Eh, I'm not a fan of random party-ups like that anymore because you don't know shit about the person besides what they're playing. There are plenty of other, better available outlets these days (social media, actually having a life, etc.) to meet people, and, if they just so happen to play Halo, great. If not, whatever, I haven't touched the MCC in months. Party chats are essentially distilled camaraderie without all of the hate. The most recent game where open mic chats are frequent I've played is GTAV, and it reminded me just how much it sucks. Open mic volumes are blasting above the game's audio, it's typically people either yelling at each other, dogs barking, or some dude who just left his mic on and all you hear is heavy breathing and a washing machine or some shit.

The last time I ever actually "teamed up" in vocal terms was likewise in GTAV, where a halogaffer and I were playing into the wee hours of the night and eventually found some steady missions / matches with these two other dudes. They were fine at first, but started going a little, uh... euphoric on us after an hour or two. No thanks.

Not that it will happen but it would be funny if 343 does do a later patch to add split - screen in the future for Halo 5. The "outrage" is pretty comical imho. I am upset, believe me, but it's getting ridiculous reading ppls super negative opinions about a cut feature. Hell I want theater mode back probably more than split screen..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom