• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice avatar! :D

Yeah, I feel there was a lot of wasted potential in Halo 4, I'd rather actual Forerunners make a return than the robots Prometheans. Maybe they are going that route.

The Prometheans are also Forerunners.

The only surviving Forerunners that we know of are IsoDidact, Chant-to-Green, and a volley of others who left the galaxy with them before the firing of the Halos.

It's definitely possible that they'll show up again, but other than they, any surviving Forerunners would be an absolutely new revelation.

The speaking Promethean that knocks Locke over in the e3 demo... Not sure what his story is. He looks to be somewhere in the middle.

The only surviving Forerunners that we know of are IsoDidact, Chant-to-Green, and a volley of others who left the galaxy with them before the firing of the Halos.

It's definitely possible that they'll show up again, but other than they, any surviving Forerunners would be an absolutely new revelation.

The speaking Promethean that knocks Locke over in the e3 demo... Not sure what his story is. He looks to be somewhere in the middle.

I know, I just really dislike the art style of the Promethean enemies, they really don't look like they belong in Halo to me. Some of the Forerunner concept art that Bungie did was much better.

Tawpgun

The only interesting plotline left post Halo 3 was the Assembly Data Pads in Reach.

The idea of a secret society of AI's trying to steer humanity is a lot more interesting than space magic gene song destiny bullshit.

CRIMSONxSERAPH

Neo Member

The "Warden of the Domain". Not sure his back story, either, but he's obviously got more importance than a standard Promethean Knight or Soldier (armiger). I'm really excited to see where they take the Guardians and the Domain!

I know, I just really dislike the art style of the Promethean enemies, they really don't look like they belong in Halo to me. Some of the Forerunner concept art that Bungie did was much better.

I agree with you in that some of the concept art that was rejected or passed on would have been amazing... Even though a good bit of it looked like Geth clones. :p

Madness

Halo 4 was fantastic... If you were privy to the Halo 3 terminals and the Forerunner trilogy. If not, it was a confusing affair of "wait who is this and why should I care?"

As a long time lore obsessed crazy person, it was a monumental moment to see the Didact for the first time, and in a main timeline game at that.

That's exactly it. After Reach, Bungie left the series, I was in a period of, eh, who cares about Halo. I didn't play Reach much, didn't buy CEA. And then you get excited for Halo 4, and you replay the old games in anticipation. And you literally end Reach with Halsey saying humans can rebuild, end Halo 3 with Chief drifting somewhere, humans so poor and defeated they carve shit into rocks.

And then Halo 4 starts, you have a cut scene if Halsey in chains, Chief looks different, Covenant board the broken half of FuD and you crash land on a planet. Soon after you hear of Didact, and make contact with humanity and the Infinity and it's like wtf, where did this come from in less than 5 years, no one really cared Chief is back etc. Just felt so confused. Literally just went through the paces of the campaign like a chore, confused about story, what Didact is, what Librarian does to Chief etc.

I didn't follow a single thing 343 did regarding storyline. I was dumbfounded when I
heard humans weren't Forerunner descendants like Bungie hinted, but that there was some ancient war, and humans were devolved down. 343 just changed it up a lot. It's good going forward, but very confusing for someone coming from the games only, limited exposure to some novels from the Bungie Era.

Madness

Nice avatar! :D

Yeah, I feel there was a lot of wasted potential in Halo 4, I'd rather actual Forerunners make a return than the robots Prometheans. Maybe they are going that route.

Double post, but I wish I could say the same about yours. Love the design, but I just can't support removing the yeti foot lol.

The "Warden of the Domain". Not sure his back story, either, but he's obviously got more importance than a standard Promethean Knight or Soldier (armiger). I'm really excited to see where they take the Guardians and the Domain!

He's definitely some high class of Promethean... I would guess that he was once a Forerunner in origin, but was composed (
despite what we know of this process failing before
).

Impala26

He's definitely some high class of Promethean... I would guess that he was once a Forerunner in origin, but was composed (
despite what we know of this process failing before
).

I'm really intrigued by this concept--that the Warden is a SUCCESSFUL case of an organic being mostly/completely composed into digital form with his memories and sentience intact.

I guess 343GS/Chakas is the FOREMOST example, but his personality wasn't preserved in its entirety.

I'm really intrigued by this concept--that the Warden is a SUCCESSFUL case of an organic being mostly/completely composed into digital form with his memories and sentience intact.

I guess 343GS/Chakas is the FOREMOST example, but his personality wasn't preserved in its entirety.

Chakas' wasn't preserved entirely... Yet it came back to him in time after 343GS was nearly destroyed and ONI began to pick at him. So it's definitely possible to have a complete and instant retention upon composition under more ideal (and less rushed) circumstances.

This also makes me wonder about the reverse process, and it's failures as well.

Hunters in the Dark spoilers:

So... The Rubicon is still MIA, with a restored-memory 343gs/Chakas piloting it to destinations unknown. I wonder if maybe he is the cause of the Guardians awakening, or has something to do with it....

Fuchsdh

Well I don't think we've ever really gotten a solid idea of what the Librarian exactly meant by the Composer being abandoned. The original idea of being able to go organic --> digital --> organic clearly didn't work. But the idea of the personalities "fragmenting" isn't really expounded upon.

The Forerunner use of AI versus composed individuals, and what level of technology they actually were at regarding AI, is a bit muddy.

Well I don't think we've ever really gotten a solid idea of what the Librarian exactly meant by the Composer being abandoned. The original idea of being able to go organic --> digital --> organic clearly didn't work. But the idea of the personalities "fragmenting" isn't really expounded upon.

The Forerunner use of AI versus composed individuals, and what level of technology they actually were at regarding AI, is a bit muddy.

Intentionally muddy, as in that might be too revelatory at the present. The Lore Masters at 343 don't want to show their entire hand yet, etc...

I really hope that mendicant bias actually has an influence in the games this time. That Halo 3 terminal still gives me chills when I read it and it provides a powerful backdrop to the Flood. It even made sympathizing with cortana easier because we saw a glimpse of another AI construct experiencing regret and a desire for redemption/salvation.

Would hate for them to toss that out.

I really hope that mendicant bias actually has an influence in the games this time. That Halo 3 terminal still gives me chills when I read it and it provides a powerful backdrop to the Flood. It even made sympathizing with cortana easier because we saw a glimpse of another AI construct experiencing regret and a desire for redemption/salvation.

Would hate for them to toss that out.

You and me both, Fahz. You mentioned MB... Only a matter of time before Greencastle shows up to agree as well. ;)

Also in Hunters in the Dark,
Drifts repeatedly mentions detecting an intelligence on the Ark, and he wasn't referring to 000 Tragic Solitude, either.

117 days until H5, but who's counting.

:3

So, so far away.

tumblr_mo79m9DFwb1rfhk7no1_500.gif

Madness

:3

So, so far away.

tumblr_mo79m9DFwb1rfhk7no1_500.gif

I'm kind of glad. I get about 2 weeks with Gears Ultimate, then I have a month of Destiny and Taken King that I will try and do Homeboyd levels of poopsocking with, then comes Halo 5. From what I'm seeing and hearing of Battlefront, I might just cancel the game. I LOVE star wars with a passion, but I won't necessarily buy the game just to geek out on the visuals and sounds. It has to play good, have depth and longevity.

I'm kind of glad. I get about 2 weeks with Gears Ultimate, then I have a month of Destiny and Taken King that I will try and do Homeboyd levels of poopsocking with, then comes Halo 5. From what I'm seeing and hearing of Battlefront, I might just cancel the game. I LOVE star wars with a passion, but I won't necessarily buy the game just to geek out on the visuals and sounds. It has to play good, have depth and longevity.

Oh I don't mind. It's just... Dat new Halo wait. :p

Until then we've got...

- Gears Ultimate
- Dishonored Definitive
- Elite Dangerous (which is obnoxiously hard and yet amazingly fun so far)
- Destiny: The Taken King

So many good things coming this year. My poor wallet.

Gears 1 in MAH VEINS.

Until then we've got...

- Gears Ultimate
- Dishonored Definitive

Yeah, the wait isn't that bad. I just mainly play Destiny and CSGO right now. Also been playing Elite Dangerous, can't wait for planet landings, but that's not for a while. Plus MGSV, Mario Maker, and Taken King all come out in September. So plenty of games to play until then.

Yeah, the wait isn't that bad. I just mainly play Destiny and CSGO right now. Also been playing Elite Dangerous, can't wait for planet landings, but that's not for a while. Plus MGSV, Mario Maker, and Taken King all come out in September. So plenty of games to play until then.

Oh crap forgot about MGSV!

Until then we've got...

- Gears Ultimate
- Dishonored Definitive

Already played it on 360
Already played it on 360
never heard of it
lol Destiny

Akai__

Review copies are only 10 days in advance? Unless they go ham, it hardly seems like a good amount of time to inform the readers well enough.

I'm not a reviewer and I hate reviews anyways, so you are asking the wrong guy. I would assume it's a little late, but isn't that the case with every game nowadays?

Madness

Review copies are only 10 days in advance? Unless they go ham, it hardly seems like a good amount of time to inform the readers well enough.

"Even though we've only played with 60 random journos, and we haven't even had time yet to unlock more than the basic REQ weapons and armors, we're confident in saying Warzone is the ultimate Halo game mode. The ADS adds to the experience by making the gunplay fresh and modern, the boss fights are epic and nail biting, and if you suck ass at killing other people or bosses you can easily capture some bases, shoot the core and win. The opening cinematics of the Pelican drop, the REQ system of consumables, and the new thrust and chamber options means this game Out-Respawns Respawn".

The real judge of the game will be the fans within the first month.

Madness

Something something day one patches and server issues.

Double post, but a patch making the game better or more stable since the disc version went gold I'm okay with. Server issues, I swear I'll go ballistic if there are any issues. They cannot fuck up launch night, launch week, or launch month. Anticipate this shit now, hire extra testers, rent or buy as many Azure servers you need, go the extra mile, but don't screw up launch night.

singhr1

I'm not a reviewer and I hate reviews anyways, so you are asking the wrong guy. I would assume it's a little late, but isn't that the case with every game nowadays?

10 days is actually probably more than most games non-MMO games. I think Halo 4 had a weekend review event or something for journalists to come play and finish.

Something like Destiny was a weird scenario where they wouldn't turn on the servers for play until launch day because of how everything needed to be a "shared experience" and some B/S like that.

There will be a Halo 5 panel at San Diego Comic-Con next week.

That's more likely a spot to talk about Fall of Reach Animated series IIRC. Gamescom is probably a better spot for Halo5 game news.

dwells

What aspects of Bungie's Halos draw inspiration from the bible?

Lots! In the Halo universe, the Bible is humanity's incorrect interpretation and retelling of the events of Forerunner era. Here's one of the strongest examples.

In Genesis, God feels betrayed by His creations, namely humanity and its trespasses. God decides to cleanse Earth with the Great Flood, which is to kill all life and restore it to a clean slate. However, in order to preserve His creations, God instructs Noah to build an ark. In this ark, Noah is to take his family and two of every species. The ark will protect them from the flood, allowing Earth to repopulate once the flood subsides and the Earth is cleansed. Following the flood, God forms a bond with Noah, known as the Noahic Covenant, where He vows to never again flood the Earth and end all life.

Now, let's make a few translations:

• God = The Precursors
  • Earth = The Universe
  • Great Flood = The Flood
  • Humanity (and their betrayal) = The Forerunners
  • Noah = The Librarian
  • Noah's Ark = The Ark
Then let's rewrite the biblical description above.

In the early years of the universe, the Precursors are betrayed by their creations, namely the Forerunners and their war. The Precursors decide to exact vengeance with the Flood. Cornered, the Forerunners build Halos, which are to kill all life in the Universe and restore it to a clean slate. However, in order to preserve life in the universe, the Librarian was to index every species and bring them to the Ark. The Ark will protect them from the Flood and the activation of the Halos, allowing the universe to repopulate once the Halos have fired and the universe is cleansed.

As you can see, there's a very clear parallel between the two creation stories. I don't see a connection between the Noahic Covenant and the Halo universe Covenant, but there are numerous other covenants in the Bible that may be the actual connection.

There's certainly a lot more that you can build from as well. For example, Gravemind is an all-powerful force of evil stemming from the Flood which stems from the Precursors. Satan is an all-powerful force of evil stemming originally from God and Heaven as the angel Lucifer. Master Chief's role as the self-sacrificing savior of humanity certainly has its role as a Jesus allegory.

Unfortunately I'm more familiar with biblical theology than I am with Halo lore, so I'm sure there are many, many things which I have missed, and I apologize if my Halo origin lore is somewhat off and oversimplified.

Lots! In the Halo universe, the Bible is humanity's incorrect interpretation and retelling of the events of Forerunner era. Here's one of the strongest examples.

In Genesis, God feels betrayed by His creations, namely humanity and its trespasses. God decides to cleanse Earth with the Great Flood, which is to kill all life and restore it to a clean slate. However, in order to preserve His creations, God instructs Noah to build an ark. In this ark, Noah is to take his family and two of every species. The ark will protect them from the flood, allowing Earth to repopulate once the flood subsides and the Earth is cleansed. Following the flood, God forms a bond with Noah, known as the Noahic Covenant, where He vows to never again flood the Earth and end all life.

Now, let's make a few translations:

• God = The Precursors
  • Earth = The Universe
  • Great Flood = The Flood
  • Humanity (and their betrayal) = The Forerunners
  • Noah = The Librarian
  • Noah's Ark = The Ark
Then let's rewrite the biblical description above.

In the early years of the universe, the Precursors are betrayed by their creations, namely the Forerunners and their war. The Precursors decide to exact vengeance with the Flood. Cornered, the Forerunners build Halos, which are to kill all life in the Universe and restore it to a clean slate. However, in order to preserve life in the universe, the Librarian was to index every species and bring them to the Ark. The Ark will protect them from the Flood and the activation of the Halos, allowing the universe to repopulate once the Halos have fired and the universe is cleansed.

As you can see, there's a very clear parallel between the two creation stories. I don't see a connection between the Noahic Covenant and the Halo universe Covenant, but there are numerous other covenants in the Bible that may be the actual connection.

There's certainly a lot more that you can build from as well. For example, Gravemind is an all-powerful force of evil stemming from the Flood which stems from the Precursors. Satan is an all-powerful force of evil stemming originally from God and Heaven as the angel Lucifer. Master Chief's role as the self-sacrificing savior of humanity certainly has its role as a Jesus allegory.

Unfortunately I'm more familiar with biblical theology than I am with Halo lore, so I'm sure there are many, many things which I have missed, and I apologize if my Halo origin lore is somewhat off and oversimplified.

This rocks. Thanks Dwells. I was going to put something together later but now I don't have to!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom