• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's more likely a spot to talk about Fall of Reach Animated series IIRC. Gamescom is probably a better spot for Halo5 game news.
It sounds more Halo 5 story focused:
Hunt for the Truth: Following the Trail of the Halo 5: Guardians Story

Join 343 Industries and special guests as they examine the compelling and prolific storytelling in and around Halo 5: Guardians. The panel will bring new insight into the mysteries surrounding the Master Chief and build connections between the stories that have been told so far, and sneak peeks of the stories yet to be told in game and beyond. Q&A session following.

Haruko

Male Shepard is the most played Shepard, so I don't think he would be underrated.

His voice actor gets an undeserved bad rap, at times. He was on top of his game come ME3 at least. Both Sheps were pretty great IMO.

I started my first Femshep run on the backward compatible game, but when I heard Multi Disc game backward compat (and DLC) was still being figured out, I stalled because idk how long the wait will be to get 2/3 and all of the DLC working. Gonna make her full Renegade
aside from Liara; i can't hurt you bby

Alright, back to Halo for me...
http://xboxclips.com/Thorn+Harvestar/27a4aa3e-e3ff-44c5-b884-1230c13b8939

Spamming the H3 terminals is 10x better when everyone in the party goes "WoooOOOOAAHHHH" like they are being sucked into it every time. Alcohol may have also played a role

jem0208

Lots! In the Halo universe, the Bible is humanity's incorrect interpretation and retelling of the events of Forerunner era. Here's one of the strongest examples.

In Genesis, God feels betrayed by His creations, namely humanity and its trespasses. God decides to cleanse Earth with the Great Flood, which is to kill all life and restore it to a clean slate. However, in order to preserve His creations, God instructs Noah to build an ark. In this ark, Noah is to take his family and two of every species. The ark will protect them from the flood, allowing Earth to repopulate once the flood subsides and the Earth is cleansed. Following the flood, God forms a bond with Noah, known as the Noahic Covenant, where He vows to never again flood the Earth and end all life.

Now, let's make a few translations:

• God = The Precursors
  • Earth = The Universe
  • Great Flood = The Flood
  • Humanity (and their betrayal) = The Forerunners
  • Noah = The Librarian
  • Noah's Ark = The Ark
Then let's rewrite the biblical description above.

In the early years of the universe, the Precursors are betrayed by their creations, namely the Forerunners and their war. The Precursors decide to exact vengeance with the Flood. Cornered, the Forerunners build Halos, which are to kill all life in the Universe and restore it to a clean slate. However, in order to preserve life in the universe, the Librarian was to index every species and bring them to the Ark. The Ark will protect them from the Flood and the activation of the Halos, allowing the universe to repopulate once the Halos have fired and the universe is cleansed.

As you can see, there's a very clear parallel between the two creation stories. I don't see a connection between the Noahic Covenant and the Halo universe Covenant, but there are numerous other covenants in the Bible that may be the actual connection.

There's certainly a lot more that you can build from as well. For example, Gravemind is an all-powerful force of evil stemming from the Flood which stems from the Precursors. Satan is an all-powerful force of evil stemming originally from God and Heaven as the angel Lucifer. Master Chief's role as the self-sacrificing savior of humanity certainly has its role as a Jesus allegory.

Unfortunately I'm more familiar with biblical theology than I am with Halo lore, so I'm sure there are many, many things which I have missed, and I apologize if my Halo origin lore is somewhat off and oversimplified.

Huh, that's interesting. I'm not familiar with biblical theory at all beyond a very basic level (obviously I've heard of Noah's ark) so that all kinda slipped by me.

Thanks for the write up.

Huh, that's interesting. I'm not familiar with biblical theory at all beyond a very basic level (obviously I've heard of Noah's ark) so that all kinda slipped by me.

Thanks for the write up.

It wasn't on the allegorical level of say, Pilgrim's Progress, but it definitely drew a lot of parallels under the surface. Where the lore has gone since, I'd argue, is even deeper into epistemology and eschatology. The study of the darkness of mankind against the background of the darkness of the universe... Of what it means to be human alongside the abandonment of one's humanity, as told through the eyes and experiences of races and beings other than our own.

Unnnnnf. The music is going to be A+.

And that AR sounds like it's punching through a wall. So badass.

Danny 117

Halo Wars rant: I hate it in 3v3 when I'm keeping down people's expos as Arby and my teammates still sit there doing absolutely nothing and we end up losing.

Like literally, 10 minutes in, teammates have 2 full bases each. Other team held to 1 base each, we still lose.

Rage.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Circa 10 days, yes. (Halo 4 was 8 days, Halo MCC was 9, Halo 5 Beta was 10 days)

My plan: Halo 5 campaign with normal difficulty, and no sleep. :D

Pfffft, back in my review days, we were lucky to get 3 days at an offsite review event for a lot of major releases.

:)

Madness

They spent time recording the series' iconic Gregorian monk chants in one of the best-known acoustic churches in Europe

I'm liking what I'm reading here. Halo 4 was such a letdown with the music. Just that first 5 seconds of menu on launch, hearing that wailing instead of the monks dropped hype. Can't wait to see what they do with H5. I'd have loved MCC music more if it didn't get overplayed with a month of just nonstop listening to it while waiting in menus for matches to start.

NOKYARD

Just a warning. Incoming megapost re: How the lack of local split screen may affect forge in Halo 5.

In gathering the evidence i have come to the realization that many of the methods i use for precision forging would be impossible in single screen. In fact, NONE of the maps i created in Halo 3, and most of the maps made in subsequent games, could have been constructed without a second controller. That's and entire playlist (the Halo 3 DXP Grifball playlist for you Juniors) which would not have been possible if not for split screen forging.

I would have had it done by now but every time it leaned toward the salty side i deleted and started fresh.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Just a warning. Incoming megapost re: How the lack of local split screen may affect forge in Halo 5.

In gathering the evidence i have come to the realization that many of the methods i use for precision forging would be impossible in single screen. In fact, NONE of the maps i created in Halo 3, and most of the maps made in subsequent games, could have been constructed without a second controller. That's and entire playlist (the Halo 3 DXP Grifball playlist for you Juniors) which would not have been possible if not for split screen forging.

I would have had it done by now but every time it leaned toward the salty side i deleted and started fresh.

Frankie has said Forge has had some substantive additions this time around. Got to live in hope, because the alternative is much sadness.

Halo Wars rant: I hate it in 3v3 when I'm keeping down people's expos as Arby and my teammates still sit there doing absolutely nothing and we end up losing.

Like literally, 10 minutes in, teammates have 2 full bases each. Other team held to 1 base each, we still lose.

Rage.
I miss Halo Wars.

Madness

What are the alternatives now though? We know split screen is gone, that the game is 1 player only. What can they do to Forge or add that would benefit you to continue to make maps with that precision but with a single screen? Seems like 343 should at least send some feelers out to the community regarding changes like these. You dont want the legs kicked out from under long time communities. Forge supposedly got much, much better, and there is still time until the game goes gold or launches. Maybe they can add something that makes it better for you?

NOKYARD

What are the alternatives now though? We know split screen is gone, that the game is 1 player only. What can they do to Forge or add that would benefit you to continue to make maps with that precision but with a single screen? Seems like 343 should at least send some feelers out to the community regarding changes like these. You dont want the legs kicked out from under long time communities. Forge supposedly got much, much better, and there is still time until the game goes gold or launches. Maybe they can add something that makes it better for you?

The problem is i am only one player so from a business sense there is no way they could afford to make huge sweeping changes for forgers like me. My methods aren't even understood by most other forgers so i can't expect 343i to cater to my individual needs.

I mean, does anyone here even know what the f is going on in this video? Except that it proves how important split screen is.

It's still alive and well! Sure it's over 6 years old now but it's still very fun.

I hope they do a sequel eventually. It has a cult following.

I think they've been hinting it'll show up in 5 or 6 again. Then again, it's been quite a while since I heard that, so who know's?

Danny 117

I think they've been hinting it'll show up in 5 or 6 again. Then again, it's been quite a while since I heard that, so who know's?

Well we do know Microsoft is working on a new entry in a 'beloved RTS franchise' from a job posting a year or so back.

Probably Age of Empires but with the way Microsoft talks about Halo, it wouldn't be a stretch for them to call the Halo Wars franchise 'beloved.'

Plus, the Phantom Dust trailer at E3 last year- there was the Halo Wars poster in that trailer.

But Phantom Dust is canned now so IDK. Lol

It's still alive and well! Sure it's over 6 years old now but it's still very fun.

I hope they do a sequel eventually. It has a cult following.
I'd love to play it again if it was backwards compatible. Really hoping for a sequel, and hoping it utilizes SmartGlass in some way, whether if for extra info or to help with micromanaging bases/units.

Karl2177

The problem is i am only one player so from a business sense there is no way they could afford to make huge sweeping changes for forgers like me. My methods aren't even understood by most other forgers so i can't expect 343i to cater to my individual needs.

I mean, does anyone here even know what the f is going on in this video? Except that it proves how important split screen is.
I know, but didn't that method of merging objects become obsolete after the 180 second geomerging technique?

Edit: to clarify, it's the one where you dupe the object and you have 180 seconds to lay the physics-less object before it becomes solid.

I really like the what they're saying about their approach with the music this time. Hopefully it all turns out awesome and we hear some great new things.

Yeah, I feel like things like the Sniper and Rockets lost a lot of their distinct character when it comes to sound, but maybe it'll all work out nicely.

Speaking of Rockets... ugh they kept the new design?

I really like the what they're saying about their approach with the music this time. Hopefully it all turns out awesome and we hear some great new things.

Yeah, I feel like things like the Sniper and Rockets lost a lot of their distinct character when it comes to sound, but maybe it'll all work out nicely.

Old design is still in as a legendary weapon

My biggest worry is the 5.1 mixing. I really want to hear this music loud and clear through by set.

dancing_spartans_hilarious_halo_4_gift_xd_by_landro117-d6qntsq.gif

lol I just wanted to do that.

CRIMSONxSERAPH

Neo Member
That's cool I guess, but I am not sure why it isn't the other way around TBH. Any pictures of it?

Still, now the normal Rocket Launcher looks like it could be straight out of any other military shooter.

TBH I prefer the new RL. Is it as iconic in design? No. That I will miss. However, I'm glad that they're taking the fact that these games are supposed to take place 500+ years in the future seriously. To me the old RL doesn't look advanced enough to be a weapon of such a future, especially after reverse-engineering Covenant and Forerunner tech. I had never thought about that aspect of human weapon design until we saw the weapons in the Beta.

I'd take functionality and believability over iconography. If you want a weapon to be iconic, just throw a unicorn on it and you're done. But 343 has shown that they're focused on building a believable, immersive, and consistent universe across the board
Bring it on, 343i!

NOKYARD

I know, but didn't that method of merging objects become obsolete after the 180 second geomerging technique?

Edit: to clarify, it's the one where you dupe the object and you have 180 seconds to lay the physics-less object before it becomes solid.

I don't know. I never bothered to use that merging method since my methods worked flawlessly for the way i build. No form of ghost merging allows for one item to entirely pass through another solid item or geometry like phasing does anyway.

The three most important things to take away from that video:

1) An item is passed through the floor from one controller to the next.

2) One controller is used to orient the item's general location since the top controller can not see where it's going.

3) In the precision placement bit at the end the bottom controller needs to be touching the item while also zoomed in to be close enough to see where to let go. This is important for all versions of Forge. For example, this pic illustrates the top controller's camera view while holding one of the larger forge pieces. The bottom controller is required to accurately align the item.

Being able to use a second controller for accurate sighting purposes is an indispensable tool so, unless they have some new and wonderful forge tools up their sleeve, precision editing and several other advanced techniques will no longer be possible.

Impala26

TBH I prefer the new RL. Is it as iconic in design? No. That I will miss. However, I'm glad that they're taking the fact that these games are supposed to take place 500+ years in the future seriously. To me the old RL doesn't look advanced enough to be a weapon of such a future, especially after reverse-engineering Covenant and Forerunner tech. I had never thought about that aspect of human weapon design until we saw the weapons in the Beta.

It's a pretty plain-ass tube mate...
Looks like late Cold War/Gulf War era tech to me honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom