• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRIMSONxSERAPH

Neo Member
It's a pretty plain-ass tube mate...
Looks like late Cold War/Gulf War era tech to me honestly.

I said "to me" :p
Everyone's entitled to their opinion on here, within reason. I just choose to be more optimistic and constructive with mine than a lot of other people.

Haters gonna hate.

TBH I prefer the new RL. Is it as iconic in design? No. That I will miss. However, I'm glad that they're taking the fact that these games are supposed to take place 500+ years in the future seriously. To me the old RL doesn't look advanced enough to be a weapon of such a future, especially after reverse-engineering Covenant and Forerunner tech. I had never thought about that aspect of human weapon design until we saw the weapons in the Beta.

I'd take functionality and believability over iconography. If you want a weapon to be iconic, just throw a unicorn on it and you're done. But 343 has shown that they're focused on building a believable, immersive, and consistent universe across the board
Bring it on, 343i!

Consistency by changing designs that have worked for 10+years.

That argument is shallow.

CRIMSONxSERAPH

Neo Member
Consistency by changing designs that have worked for 10+years.

That argument is shallow.

Consistency of what they're building. Not consistency with what you have nostalgic dreams of. Bungie and 343 are different.
I'm not "arguing" anything, but just stating my opinion. This isn't a "win-or-lose" BTB match. Leave it be. We all know you hate on anything 343 but the GS himself.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I said "to me" :p
Everyone's entitled to their opinion on here, within reason. I just choose to be more optimistic and constructive with mine than a lot of other people.

Haters gonna hate.
Huh? HaloGAF has been wayyyyyyy more positive than negative about Halo 5.

CRIMSONxSERAPH

Neo Member
Huh? HaloGAF has been wayyyyyyy more positive than negative about Halo 5.

I wasn't meaning a majority of users. Just that there are some who find it their mission on here to berate and second guess every little aspect of 343i's decisions and also the "validity" of anyone's opinions that seem to prefer anything from 343i.

I'm thankful it's not a cesspool of negativity like Waypoint.

Consistency of what they're building. Not consistency with what you have nostalgic dreams of. Bungie and 343 are different.
I'm not "arguing" anything, but just stating my opinion. This isn't a "win-or-lose" BTB match. Leave it be. We all know you hate on anything 343 but the GS himself.
Being extremely hyper critical doesn't mean I hate their decisions. Like fuck, I dislike their insistance on changing things for the sake of change. I'm pretty excited about Warzone, and fuck that would be the one thing if any that I would be salty about. I'm not always the mountain of salt that GAF wants me to be.

DJ Gunner

I wasn't meaning a majority of users. Just that there are some who find it their mission on here to berate and second guess every little aspect of 343i's decisions and also the "validity" of anyone's opinions that seem to prefer anything from 343i.

I'm thankful it's not a cesspool of negativity like Waypoint.

When your goal as a studio is to methodically strip a franchise of what it is known for while changing everything else "iconic" into something different- because apparently 10+ years of design familiarity sucks and won't appeal to new fans- it's a little hard to be supportive.

dancing_spartans_hilarious_halo_4_gift_xd_by_landro117-d6qntsq.gif

lol I just wanted to do that.

I had no idea you could do that, haha

TBH I prefer the new RL. Is it as iconic in design? No. That I will miss. However, I'm glad that they're taking the fact that these games are supposed to take place 500+ years in the future seriously. To me the old RL doesn't look advanced enough to be a weapon of such a future, especially after reverse-engineering Covenant and Forerunner tech. I had never thought about that aspect of human weapon design until we saw the weapons in the Beta.

I'd take functionality and believability over iconography. If you want a weapon to be iconic, just throw a unicorn on it and you're done. But 343 has shown that they're focused on building a believable, immersive, and consistent universe across the board
Bring it on, 343i!

Meh, I can't say I agree at all.

While the old rockets weren't the sleekest of designs, they were iconic and looked very different from the weaponry deployed within the military today. Nothing in the new design interests me visually from an art or story point, nor does it imply the UNSC is advancing its tech via Covenant and Forerunner reverse engineering.

The new design is boring, and honestly looks very out of place in the Halo universe. I really appreciated Halo's design aesthetic for UNSC weaponry, it had a certain style and charm to it - large and clunky, yet also sleek and futuristic. It mended a very raw industrial look with the general contours one associates with futuristic design.

Glass

Really happy to hear the monks are definitely back in, but I hope some things from 4 remain, 117 needs to be a series regular. Lots of goosebump inducing moments in that soundtrack.

Really happy to hear the monks are definitely back in, but I hope some things from 4 remain, 117 needs to be a series regular. Lots of goosebump inducing moments in that soundtrack.

117 was alreasy based on the original Halo theme, wouldn't surprise me to hear it come back.

The soundtrack video was really cool. I'm glad they're just going with Jinnouchi, he's more than able to do it right.

Ramirez

I'm so tired of hearing about iconic designs, I don't give a fuck what that tube looks like as long as it lets me shit on kids.

My only complaint about the music so far is everything we have heard so far is incredibly 'epic', dark and brooding. I hope they also keep the charm and adventure alive in the OST that songs like Peril conveyed so perfectly. I just really don't have high hopes it'll happen.

InvisibleKnight

Neo Member
I didn't like Reach, fine. I still played it locally with my friends and had lots of fun.
Halo 4 was shit but somehow we still managed to have epic lan parties on the few maps that didn't fuck up the framerate.

Then next-gen kicked in and Microsoft went full TVTV so I didn't buy an XONE nor my friends did. Later on MCC was about to come out and I actually bought an XONE that I didn't even open given the state of the game and lack of LAN, so I sold the brand new console on eBay.

Fast forward to E3 2015, Halo Guardians leads the show and backward compatibility is announced. I get back on GAF, I check the news, I'm... hyped!

Today I learn about the total lack of split-screen and LAN. I must say I'm out. Whatever direction Halo is taking it sucks.
343i is not worth the name of Halo and they kept failing to live up to what was Halo to me.

"Social features" is now being alone in a room watching a screen. Good luck with making college students/friends/couples buying two or more consoles and game copies. Keep swimming in undeserved money but not mine or my friends'.

I just wanted to share my opinion.

FyreWulff

Didn't like the new rocket launcher.
SPNKr announced as Legendary weapon.
Don't mind the new rocket launcher at all.

Certain designs are iconic and really shouldn't change drastically, regardless of fiction/lore. No one (ok, I won't say no one, but far less) really minded when the shotty got redesigned, so it's not just about people not wanting any change at all. Things like the SPNKr though are franchise signatures, and should stick around. Personally, including it as a Legendary weapon is good enough for me though. Now I just see the new rocket launcher as an addition to the sandbox.

Regarding human tech being dated looking for the 2550's, that was always intentional. It was to create a clear visual design and gameplay divide between the Covenant and UNSC, and give the player familiar concepts to latch onto (shotgun, magnum, "jeep", etc.). I always felt that was a good idea from a game design perspective. Honestly, if you were to be "realistic" with human technology advancements, literally everything but Smart AIs and slipspace travel would be completely different, and would be just as "alien" as Covenant tech.

SaganIsGOAT

Honestly, the new Ghost, Banshee, Needler, PP etc all look pretty damn sweet. It seems like they fully realized their Covenant art style and better tech let them achieve it.

I like the new art too, just being honest.

Prometheans look better also, but damn, there's no shot feedback on them still. I like some armor or shield splashing when I'm shooting something. Granted this is just based off Warzone footage.

Based on the campaign footage the Promethean Soldiers have good feedback. Their armor flares out making them change shape which is pretty good!

VinFTW

Honestly, the new Ghost, Banshee, Needler, PP etc all look pretty damn sweet. It seems like they fully realized their Covenant art style and better tech let them achieve it.

Prometheans look better also, but damn, there's no shot feedback on them still. I like some armor or shield splashing when I'm shooting something. Granted this is just based off Warzone footage.

I like them too. They're basically more ornate versions of the classic designs, so no drastic silhouette changes, which is fine by me. Especially when you throw in the fun headcanon explanations that have been bounced around.

jem0208

The lack of feedback was the biggest problem with the Prrometheans in H4 IMO. What makes it extra disappointing is that they have that gorgeous particle effect for when they die, why not have a smart burst of orange where you connect a shot?

Madness

If you don't care about the designs, why keep complaining about those who do? Just saying. There was enough outcry at the changing of the rocket launcher to bring the SPNKr back in some form.

Needs more gjallerhorn

I got to do this with a bunch of 40k weapons on Dark Heresy... got to make them look 'new' but not stray too far from the original designs. Was fun.

Say what you will about Destiny (lord knows I have), but the Gjallerhorn is gorgeous. Ditto the Titan Crest of Alpha Lupi.

And 40k designs are amazing. Didn't know you worked on Dark Heresy!

daedalius

Say what you will about Destiny (lord knows I have), but the Gjallerhorn is gorgeous. Ditto the Titan Crest of Alpha Lupi.

And 40k designs are amazing. Didn't know you worked on Dark Heresy!

Been doing weapons and items, etc for the franchise for a few years. There are alot!

Trials armor is alright, not my favorite tho. I want Commander Zavala's shoulders.

Ramirez

If you don't care about the designs, why keep complaining about those who do? Just saying. There was enough outcry at the changing of the rocket launcher to bring the SPNKr back in some form.

I really doubt a few nerds on a message board had anything to do with the old one being a legendary weapon.

Haruko

I really doubt a few nerds on a message board had anything to do with the old one being a legendary weapon.

What? Are you also saying they didn't get the idea for the legendary Keyes' Magnum from us either?

I actually requested the SPNKr as a Legendary weapon on a HCFP survey FWIW; wondering if others did too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom