• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramirez

What? Are you also saying they didn't get the idea for the legendary Keyes' Magnum from us either?

I actually requested the SPNKr as a Legendary weapon on a HCFP survey FWIW; wondering if others did too

That was Funknown sitting in that art meeting on the Sprint months ago!

CliQ

I've brought this up a few times about weapon designs but I'll bring it up again in a different way.

I understand Most Halo weapons have an iconic design but how would you feel if they added a story element in the game to justify their redesigns? I for one would like them to make the human weapons more fitting for the time period. It's like what the year 2500 and we are fighting aliens with laser guns and all kinds of weird light stuff with gravity yet humans still shoot bullets? I'm pretty sure even today's technology is starting to surpass the human weapons in Halo.

Now don't get me wrong I love me some CE pistol but I really like the function of it more so then the look. They could make it look like I'm holding a banana and as long as it shoots how it shoots in the original I would be just as happy. Maybe that last sentence is a little far fetched but you get the idea.

TLDR Would there be a problem if they redesigned the human weapons to be more futuristic and fitting of the time period?

-Ryn

Banned
Anyone up for some Halo? My bro and I are trying to get some customs going. Though we don't have any special game types. So if you have them, that'd be rad.

I have no idea how well off the MCC is for customs.

jem0208

I don't like the BR horn scope, or the shotgun. But ultimately, I don't pay attention to any of it while playing, so it's whatever.

I love the new BR, the horns are great.

The new RL is a really bad redesign though. It's not that the new model is much worse than the old one (I actually think both are pretty meh) but it's just a complete departure from the original.

TCKaos

Needs more gjallerhorn

I got to do this with a bunch of 40k weapons on Dark Heresy... got to make them look 'new' but not stray too far from the original designs. Was fun.

2nd Ed DH? Nice. I played through a campaign as a Fenrisian Arbitus. I was not good at law. My party was not good at investigating.

It was hilarious.

Also, is Destiny getting some GOTY re-release soon? I thought I heard about it but wasn't sure. Might have to pick it up if so.

I've brought this up a few times about weapon designs but I'll bring it up again in a different way.

I understand Most Halo weapons have an iconic design but how would you feel if they added a story element in the game to justify their redesigns? I for one would like them to make the human weapons more fitting for the time period. It's like what the year 2500 and we are fighting aliens with laser guns and all kinds of weird light stuff with gravity yet humans still shoot bullets? I'm pretty sure even today's technology is starting to surpass the human weapons in Halo.

Now don't get me wrong I love me some CE pistol but I really like the function of it more so then the look. They could make it look like I'm holding a banana and as long as it shoots how it shoots in the original I would be just as happy. Maybe that last sentence is a little far fetched but you get the idea.

TLDR Would there be a problem if they redesigned the human weapons to be more futuristic and fitting of the time period?

I already addressed this a few posts up. To reiterate though, I disagree that canon should necessarily be the primary driving factor behind design. Established design principles and franchise identities shouldn't be changed for the sole sake of being more "futuristically accurate", especially when you're talking about iconic designs. Also, if you wanted to make human technology more realistic for the time period, you'd basically be dumping literally everything except for slipspace technology and smart AIs, because it's all deliberately anachronistic. For example, equivalents to Spartan augmentations and MJOLNIR armor (outside of perhaps energy shielding) are things we could expect to see by the end of the current century, likely decades sooner.

Humans have always been "dated" in Halo to 1) drive aesthetic, gameplay, and technological advancement differences between humans and the Covenant and Forerunner, and 2) provide players (and readers and viewers) familiar concepts to latch onto to more easily understand the world and insert themselves in it. If you start making every bit of human tech too "futurey" you lose the division between familiar human concepts and literally alien ones, and suddenly everything is "alien".

Also, is Destiny getting some GOTY re-release soon? I thought I heard about it but wasn't sure. Might have to pick it up if so.

Yes. It's being labeled "The Taken King: Legendary Edition" and comes with Destiny, The Dark Below, House of Wolves, and the upcoming Taken King expansion, all for $60. There's also an $80 with additional content.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Is ODST broken? I beat the whole thing on legendary in a playlist, got the achievement for the playlist, it bugged out. Had to replay costal highway now I'm showing 11/11 on legendary campaign progress and NONE of the game completion achievements unlocked.

I go back in and I show everything done on legendary in game. Wtf

Is ODST broken? I beat the whole thing on legendary in a playlist, got the achievement for the playlist, it bugged out. Had to replay costal highway now I'm showing 11/11 on legendary campaign progress and NONE of the game completion achievements unlocked.

Only issue I've had is a couple of my completed playlists showing my progress as one less than they should be. i.e. 1/2, 10/11. The game otherwise recognizes them as complete though (achievements popped and the counter for Halo 3 playlists completed is accurate), which makes it all the weirder. Also, immediately after completing one of them I tried to continue the playlist but it wanted me start from the first mission, so I have no idea what's up. But yeah, that minor annoyance it's been absolutely perfect. Oh, and the occasional Brute AI pathing issue, but I have no idea if that's an issue exclusive to the MCC port or not.

Are you sure the achievements that haven't popped aren't stuck as done unlocking by the way?

JackHerer

I love the new BR, the horns are great.

The new RL is a really bad redesign though. It's not that the new model is much worse than the old one (I actually think both are pretty meh) but it's just a complete departure from the original.

I kind of agree that both designs are weak. If they wanted to do an all out redesign they could have come up with something much cooler and more unique than what they are giving us. It's like they thought "this weapon doesn't look generic enough, we need to fix that."

It's just a plain military RPG now. Boring.

Yeah, ODST achievements aren't unlocking for me either. Beat the campaign but none of the completion cheevos unlocked.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Only issue I've had is a couple of my completed playlists showing my progress as one less than they should be. i.e. 1/2, 10/11. The game otherwise recognizes them as complete though (achievements popped and the counter for Halo 3 playlists completed is accurate), which makes it all the weirder. Also, immediately after completing one of them I tried to continue the playlist but it wanted me start from the first mission, so I have no idea what's up. But yeah, that minor annoyance it's been absolutely perfect.

Are you sure the achievements that haven't popped aren't stuck as done unlocking by the way?

No, even normal shows 75% which isn't even close.
Yeah, achievements aren't unlocking for me either.

Damn, that sucks. Wonder if they will fix that, although in the grand scheme, that's probably down the list.

Suggestion for a Legendary Weapon: the Didact's Hand. Standard fire is a tractor beam and your melee becomes an instakill, while ADS allows you to charge up an assassination vignette that works from the front or back, crushing / force choking the target to death. You can also use it to fling corpses / objects around like a Gravity Gun.

Suggestion for a Legendary Weapon: the Didact's Hand. Standard fire is a tractor beam and your melee becomes an instakill, while ADS allows you to charge up an assassination vignette that works from the front or back, crushing / force choking the target to death. You can also use it to fling corpses / objects around like a Gravity Gun.

lhN0oxP.png

singhr1

Does it say Done! Unlocking... or Locked? Check that. I had a couple of audio logs that had the former and a couple of days later auto-unlocked.

Madness

I really doubt a few nerds on a message board had anything to do with the old one being a legendary weapon.

I have a feeling it was. Not to blow my own horn, because others also posted the same thing before me here, but I posted here about having killcams off by default, and having to press X or something for death and Josh himself quoted it and said that it could be a good compromise and something they were looking at based on beta feedback. Others probably also mentioned it on other forums and soon after, they announced killcams off by default and that you could press a button to view how you died if you wanted. Not saying guys like me are the reason, but it does help when devs acknowledge good ideas, good criticism and feedback.

The outcry over the loss of the SPNKr, here, on Beyond, Reddit and Waypoint absolutely had to do with it coming back as a legendary weapon. Why only the rocket announced like that in the after beta post? It's because quite a lot of people wanted it back, wanted it as legendary weapon as a compromise. That's why two way conversation is important, because development doesn't exist in a vacuum. Not saying they should cater to what nerds say on a forum, but if you actively engage and read what they write, you may incorporate some suggestions.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=146557994&postcount=606

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=146605037&postcount=727

I mean most people here, on r/Halo, and Beyond complained about DMR scope and bam, it's changed to suit more or less the older zoom style.

Since one of Halo's strong suits has always been dynamic physics impulses, it'd be neat to see a game where corpses / ragdolls had actual weight and collision, if only for a short time. It'd be hilarious seeing people blow up fusion cores only to kill someone and have their body flung into another enemy for a double or pushing a corpse off the Spire and smudging a toggle croucher. It'd probably make splatters more satisfying and Flood encounters a hell of a lot more frantic, too - just imagine the Flood deliberately forming barricades and blocking off entryways by amassing corpses.

SaganIsGOAT

I want the Warden Eternal's bad ass whip that he slaps the shit out of Osiris with.

Since one of Halo's strong suits has always been dynamic physics impulses, it'd be neat to see a game where corpses / ragdolls had actual weight and collision, if only for a short time. It'd be hilarious seeing people blow up fusion cores only to kill someone and have their body flung into another enemy for a double or pushing a corpse off the Spire and smudging a toggle croucher. It'd probably make splatters more satisfying and Flood encounters a hell of a lot more frantic, too - just imagine the Flood deliberately forming barricades and blocking off entryways by amassing corpses.

I mean, it makes more sense than death by traffic cone.

Ramirez

I have a feeling it was. Not to blow my own horn, because others also posted the same thing before me here, but I posted here about having killcams off by default, and having to press X or something for death and Josh himself quoted it and said that it could be a good compromise and something they were looking at based on beta feedback. Others probably also mentioned it on other forums and soon after, they announced killcams off by default and that you could press a button to view how you died if you wanted. Not saying guys like me are the reason, but it does help when devs acknowledge good ideas, good criticism and feedback.

The outcry over the loss of the SPNKr, here, on Beyond, Reddit and Waypoint absolutely had to do with it coming back as a legendary weapon. Why only the rocket announced like that in the after beta post? It's because quite a lot of people wanted it back, wanted it as legendary weapon as a compromise. That's why two way conversation is important, because development doesn't exist in a vacuum. Not saying they should cater to what nerds say on a forum, but if you actively engage and read what they write, you may incorporate some suggestions.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=146557994&postcount=606

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=146605037&postcount=727

I mean most people here, on r/Halo, and Beyond complained about DMR scope and bam, it's changed to suit more or less the older zoom style.

You don't think any of the pros, or testers like Omlet/Tashi told the dev team they wanted the old RL in some form? The idea of Legendary weapons was around before the crying over the Spanker, what weapons were they going to use if they didn't bring back old favorites?

They can quote anyone on a forum, and agree with it. But I don't believe for a second that no one at 343 in charge of such stuff had never thought of the Spanker being used as a legendary weapon until he read someone on a forum cry about it.

Funk vs Biggy 1v1 mid(ship).

Madness

You don't think any of the pros, or testers like Omlet/Tashi told the dev team they wanted the old RL in some form? The idea of Legendary weapons was around before the crying over the Spanker, what weapons were they going to use if they didn't bring back old favorites?

They can quote anyone on a forum, and agree with it. But I don't believe for a second that no one at 343 in charge of such stuff had never thought of the Spanker being used as a legendary weapon until he read someone on a forum cry about it.

Funk vs Biggy 1v1 mid(ship).

They probably did think about it. But they most definitely decided to go ahead with it after the outcry amongst the communities. The only "legendary" weapon we saw was a new weapon called Prophet's Bane. There was no guarantee legendary means older weapon. I mean it served no purpose to make a SPNKr when they have the new rocket launcher, incineration cannon, fuel rod gun, there is now Hydra. They could have utilized the Hydra, made some special version and call it a day. But to specifically mention SPNKr by name, to put it as one of the most important changes in the beta, it's definitely because of what the fans wanted. I remember when you said no one cared it was changed, does it matter and bam, look how happy some of us are it's coming back.

Ramirez

They probably did think about it. But they most definitely decided to go ahead with it after the outcry amongst the communities. The only "legendary" weapon we saw was a new weapon called Prophet's Bane. There was no guarantee legendary means older weapon. I mean it served no purpose to make a SPNKr when they have the new rocket launcher, incineration cannon, fuel rod gun, there is now Hydra. They could have utilized the Hydra, made some special version and call it a day. But to specifically mention SPNKr by name, to put it as one of the most important changes in the beta, it's definitely because of what the fans wanted. I remember when you said no one cared it was changed, does it matter and bam, look how happy some of us are it's coming back.

Ok Madness, you and Reddit did it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom