• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jem: [taps the slurp symbol] Nice.

Frankie: I couldn't find any more salty people.

Jem: Well, Mr Official coffee getter?

Frankie: Oh, it's franchise director now. You really started something. Salt running scared, hope on the forums.

Jem: But?

Frankie: We still haven't picked up Kyle J or half the inmates of HaloGaf that he freed.

Jem: We will. We *can* bring Halo back.

Frankie: What about escalation?

Jem: Escalation?

Frankie: We start introducing ADS, they compare it to COD. We start providing an objective playlist, they start complaining about AR starts on Sandtrap.

Jem: And?

Frankie: And, you're wearing a mask. Jumping off rooftops to defend us. Now, take this guy.

[pulling out a file]

Frankie: Armed bombs, double beatdowns, has a taste for the theatrical, like you. Leaves a calling card.

BFFnWpZ.jpg

Jem: I'll look into it.

[turns away and walks to the edge of the roof]

Frankie: I never said thank you.

Jem: [looks back at Frankie] And you'll never have to.

*slurrrrrp*

Fin

Directed by Elzar

Frankie: Oh, it's franchise director now. You really started something. Salt running scared, hope on the forums.

Frankie: We still haven't picked up Kyle J or half the inmates of HaloGaf that he freed.

Frankie: We start introducing ADS, they compare it to COD. We start providing an objective playlist, they start complaining about AR starts on Sandtrap.

Frankie: And, you're wearing a mask. Jumping off rooftops to defend us. Now, take this guy.

[pulling out a file]

Frankie: Armed bombs, double beatdowns, has a taste for the theatrical, like you. Leaves a calling card.

BFFnWpZ.jpg

*slurrrrrp*

Fin

Directed by Elzar

wtf did I just read?

jem0208

[pulling out a file]

BFFnWpZ.jpg

*slurrrrrp*

Fin

Directed by Elzar

Top quality, HaloGAF POTY; 10/10.

Would read and co star in again.

Edit: Scratch that, docking points due to lack of train references. That said still top quality:

9.8/10; you out Nolan'd Nolan.

Also Batman is the best :3

Akai__

Remember when Zoojoo was banned for the big ass "The Dark Knight" post/reference? Fun times.

Anyways, who is getting Arkham Knight next month? I'll play the shit out of that game.

Mr White

Remember when Zoojoo was banned for the big ass "The Dark Knight" post/reference? Fun times.

Anyways, who is getting Arkham Knight next month? I'll play the shit out of that game.

Will buy GOTY edition with all DLCs in the next year. I can wait

[pulling out a file]

BFFnWpZ.jpg

*slurrrrrp*

Fin

Directed by Elzar

wtf did I just read?

Elzar's not the HaloGAF member we deserve, but he may be the one we need.

5 games of Splatoon...2 have been connection errors...

It's almost like MCC was.

But not this bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9RCqhpgdIE&sns=tw

I mean it's Nintendo. Their online experiences have only ever been barely acceptable at best (functional but lacking in features/options), unplayable at worst (hello Brawl, lol). Not sure why anyone expected Splatoon to be anything close to perfect. Thought it was pretty hilarious when people were saying they went to Splatoon to avoid MCC's issues... Only to experience that last Global Testfire.

I mean it's Nintendo. Their online experiences have only ever been barely acceptable at best (functional but lacking in features/options), unplayable at worst (hello Brawl, lol). Not sure why anyone expected Splatoon to be anything close to perfect. Thought it was pretty hilarious when people were saying they went to Splatoon to avoid MCC's issues... Only to experience that last Global Testfire.

Yeah this is why I'm so wary of trying it right now. I want to wait for the hype to settle and still see if people deem it worthy of a buy or spending your time.

I got super smash bros mainly because I wanted to play online. What a foolhardy thing to do. It's a laggy, incompetent mess.

People are saying Splatoon is consistently great online with rare lag. However, a lot of these early reviews don't stress test online games properly IMO. When the full population jumps on with their varying pings the real test begins.

I honestly don't know what the fuss is, or the over obsession with hating on things and people together in these forums. You would think that with all the issues of death threats and constant bitching in this industry/culture people would attempt criticism with more tact. Can we all stop circle jerking and put the constant repetitive drivel to rest?

It's obvious hardly anyone (including myself) has that much confidence in the whole 343/MCC situation, but fussing about it to the point of calling out Dan Ayoub as a scam artist is IMO disgusting and willfully ignorant.

Removing myself from this thread for a while.

Edit: inb4 "good riddance" and "cya" typical childish responses ;)

Consumers can start caring about 343 around the same time 343 starts caring about consumers. If someone hyped a product to you for 6 months claiming it was everything you were looking for, and white-washed any issues you saw before release saying they were a result of early prototypes and would be fixed by the time it gets to you, and they hosted parties and events to celebrate the release of the product, and they took $60 from you and then disappeared as soon as you bought the product and realized it was fundamentally broken -- you wouldn't call that a scam? Stop getting emotionally invested in video game companies.

Maybe if they really nailed the post-release playlist support, or maybe if they put out ODST on time, or maybe if we got that explanation about how this all happened (hi, Frank!) I could be more optimistic. Maybe. But nope, they rolled right into the Halo 5 PR cycle and left Halo fans holding this turd, the same way they never touched Halo 3 and the same way they left Reach to die. Separate your strange personal attachment and look at 343's actions in an abstract sense. Any other product, any other company, any other industry that did something like this would be considered a scam. Which is what it is.

jem0208

Am I the only one who received like 20 patches?

I mean sure, it probably shouldn't have taken them that many to get to a playable state but to say they just abandoned the game or" disappeared" is more than slightly bending the truth.

Fuchsdh

Apparently the backend matchmaking systems are so weird and arcane that it's actually a very arduous process, which says more about about the smartitude of Bungie than anyone else, but then 343i is apparently still attached to the same stupid system.

Which presumably was the reason they moved to scrapping what they could and starting fresh for Halo 5. Nothing's more infuriating than dealing with someone else's project and mindset. Things that made perfect sense to person A will be inexplicable to B, and what was "obvious" to A impenetrable to B.

iaoqwbm-5565f5431f5bc.gif

Also, I NEED to catch up on escalation. Brb. Btw 343, do another live action web series a month before Halo 5 comes out. Gives fans something to do during the wait. Just a thought. OR more Hunt Da Truff stuffn things.

Grabbed Escalation 12-17 yesterday (there's no omnibus collection out there yet but every issue save the current one is discounted to $2.) The art and writing have definitely taken a sharp turn up; while there are still wacky faces on occasion the art isn't really holding back the story in the same way, and I think that the writing is simply better; the exchanges between Lasky and Palmer, or Halsey's monologues, feel much more like the characters than many of the earlier issues.

I wish they wouldn't just slap Sparth art on the covers though, and at least put a bit more effort into having them be representative of what goes on in the comics. Right now it seems like they're half-related, and half just pretty artwork.

Consumers can start caring about 343 around the same time 343 starts caring about consumers. If someone hyped a product to you for 6 months claiming it was everything you were looking for, and white-washed any issues you saw before release saying they were a result of early prototypes and would be fixed by the time it gets to you, and they hosted parties and events to celebrate the release of the product, and they took $60 from you and then disappeared as soon as you bought the product and realized it was fundamentally broken -- you wouldn't call that a scam? Stop getting emotionally invested in video game companies.

Maybe if they really nailed the post-release playlist support, or maybe if they put out ODST on time, or maybe if we got that explanation about how this all happened (hi, Frank!) I could be more optimistic. Maybe. But nope, they rolled right into the Halo 5 PR cycle and left Halo fans holding this turd, the same way they never touched Halo 3 and the same way they left Reach to die. Separate your strange personal attachment and look at 343's actions in an abstract sense. Any other product, any other company, any other industry that did something like this would be considered a scam. Which is what it is.

Thank you for your response. However, I'm just gonna remove myself from these conversations. Posts like yours are full of assumptions on my character and incredibly inaccurate--not to mention they are recycled arguments ad nauseam. You also missed the point of my post.

I'm not getting banned over this crap again.

Impala26

Thank you for your response. However, I'm just gonna remove myself from these conversations. Posts like yours are full of assumptions on my character and incredibly inaccurate--not to mention they are recycled arguments ad nauseam. You also missed the point of my post.

I'm not getting banned over this crap again.

<3 U Fahz
Even if you don't like Destiny :p

The sad part is that these sorts of discussions are par for the course within the political realm--personal and character attacks are the norm. You're right to take the high road and step away from the conversation. Let it all just die down like I did when I was raging over Enter the 36 Chambers' posts.

Hell, even Ragnarok tempered/diluted his saltiness--there's hope for EVERYONE!

But you forgot Tattoo Tuesday, Hire Juices, #FuckWaypoint, We Back and more. Junior downgrade request has
not
been sent to the mods.

Also don't forget the dongs. How could you forget about HGS donging? SMH

The hell is Tattoo Tuesday? Does this somehow stem from what's-his-face's infamous "Halo 2 November 9th, 2004" tattoo?

FyreWulff

Apparently the backend matchmaking systems are so weird and arcane that it's actually a very arduous process, which says more about about the smartitude of Bungie than anyone else, but then 343i is apparently still attached to the same stupid system.

One of the guys involved in running matchmaking for Reach for Bungie -and- 343 still works for 343.

The institutional knowledge is present, he just has to be given permission / budget to do so. Same reason Bungie couldn't update Halo 2 after Halo 3 came out.. nobody was budgeted / allowed to go back and update Halo 2, because MS pays da bills and they weren't paying for the old game to be updated.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
fyi that gif wasn't directed at fahz, it was just too relevant not to post.

#butts
#nomotiontracker
#itogglecrouch

Impala26

One of the guys involved in running matchmaking for Reach for Bungie -and- 343 still works for 343.

The institutional knowledge is present, he just has to be given permission / budget to do so. Same reason Bungie couldn't update Halo 2 after Halo 3 came out.. nobody was budgeted / allowed to go back and update Halo 2, because MS pays da bills and they weren't paying for the old game to be updated.

What... someone with business sense!?! Get out of here with this garbage!
/s

Actually folks he's right. This is exactly why there aren't rapid improvement to MCC, because 90-95% of 343's budget from Microsoft is going to H5, because THAT'S where the money is. Sucks but that's the sad business-reality of Triple-A games. MCC is a hot mess, but we should be considered lucky that Microsoft isn't so greedy that they haven't abandoned it completely--there is virtually ZERO money left to be made from MCC from a business perspective.

-Ryn

Banned
Psh, it was good, but was it as excessive as this?

SHENMUE.GIF

I saw no twirling like that! Only Cinematic Gameplay can do this!
I have yet to play Shenmue. It has been on my list since the forever.

It's why I love this place!

Pretty sure HaloGAF is experiencing a mid-life and/or existential crisis.
HaloGAF is just going through withdrawals. Once E3 comes around you can bet your left butt cheek the train will be at full steam.

In an abstract sense, 343 isn't scamming anyone.

Based off the actual information we have, they didn't realize the game was broken to the degree it was. Nor have they abandoned the game and run off. They've been updating it to the point that it is for the most part functional, and are continuing to do so as far as we know. If you expect them to drop everything for H5 and focus on the MCC then you are dilusional. That wouldn't make sense for a number of reasons from a development or business perspective.

If you dont believe what they've said so far then that's your prerogative. In the meantime you should probably stop throwing rocks in that glass house of yours.

SaganIsGOAT

In an abstract sense, 343 isn't scamming anyone.

Based off the actual information we have, they didn't realize the game was broken to the degree it was.

This excuse if probably one of the best. Guys, we never saw the scoreboard say 1th in the studio. We never saw the game crash during campaign. We never saw save file issues. We never saw the lighting issues with Halo 3 or Halo 4s cutscenes.

Give me a break. I played the game at Pax Prime last year and it crashed after every game was over and they'd have BS angel or someone else restart the game. That's not a good thing, especially when they blamed it on old code.

343 should have just started a console trend of "Early access" when they launched MCC. Allow the community to shape the game from alpha to launch.

-Ryn

Banned
This excuse if probably one of the best. Guys, we never saw the scoreboard say 1th in the studio. We never saw the game crash during campaign. We never saw save file issues. We never saw the lighting issues with Halo 3 or Halo 4s cutscenes.

Give me a break. I played the game at Pax Prime last year and it crashed after every game was over and they'd have BS angel or someone else restart the game. That's not a good thing, especially when they blamed it on old code.

343 should have just started a console trend of "Early access" when they launched MCC. Allow the community to shape the game from alpha to launch.
The game was under a ridiculously unrealistic deadline, is made up of 5 different games (4 of which were ported by 4 different devs), and was hastily thrown together in order to release it on time. All of this while 343 is developing H5 and prepping for the beta which amazingly managed to run fairly well despite the platform it was run through. It doesn't surprise me at all that they might've missed a number of bugs in testing.

I get why people are (justifiably) skeptical. I just dont think we should be outright dismissing the possibility that there might've been more going on. It'd be nice if we could get Franks post mortem within a couple months. Hopefully after the next content update if it works some magic.

Holy shit lol

Impala26

Implying that I would defend H3 AR starts...

I'm shocked you think of me this way, I mean I know I'm far more positive about Halo's current situation than most around here but to defend H3 AR starts?

I'm not insane.

Damn it Jem, you missed a golden opportunity to use a Guilty Spark quote!

"I AM shocked... almost too shocked for words."

Only iron-borns will remember this.

Well defending AR starts in general is gross.
And you have been singing the praises of ADS and the AR.

Maybe cuz it's actually kinda great. In terms of the current sandbox it worked quite well.

Ads is garbage, AR is garbage so by the transitive property of SMG better than AR,

Both of those things are still bad.

I disagree. I might agree for competitive play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom