• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you guys could add one feature to Halo, what would it be?

Spoiler alert:
Day One functionality ain't a feature ya jackasses

If there is one thing Nintendo has always been pretty reliable on, its the quality of their games.

Weapon / sandbox editor. That is, not placement on maps, but having an in-engine client that allows you to modify the parameters.

Cow

So excited for this May update to make the game fully functional and I can play in more than one playlist and then we can get an explanation from Frankie with what went wrong.

lol

If you guys could add one feature to Halo, what would it be?

To actually answer this:

More visual impacts after a spartan's shields are down. I would like to shatter a visor with a sniper bullet or leave burn marks when using a plasma weapon. I would like to see a burn mark/hole when you slice someone with a sword. I would like to see sparks and armor flakes fly off when you blast someone with a shotgun up close.

Akai__

Weapon / sandbox editor. That is, not placement on maps, but having an in-engine client that allows you to modify the parameters.

Yep and in connection with a Custom Game Browser, it would be perfect for remade gametypes and for fun-maps/gametypes.

I might be mistaken, but they added that thing in Halo 4 (only for them) and I don't think they ever used it. I've never come across a gametype, where individual weapon stats would have been altered. Does anybody know, if that was actually the case? I only remember them showing that feature off on Forge Island and that's it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
yoshis_woolly_world_amiibo.png

but they're so cute
These are the one exception! Though I'd never buy'em. And the Amiibo DLC scheme still sucks.

so Dave and Busters is pretty rad. bit pricey but a total blast.

Halo is still dad? Nintendo doesn't know how online works? Fuck Amiibos? Glad to see I'm still up to speed.

Yep and in connection with a Custom Game Browser, it would be perfect for remade gametypes and for fun-maps/gametypes.

I might be mistaken, but they added that thing in Halo 4 (only for them) and I don't think they ever used it. I've never come across a gametype, where individual weapon stats would have been altered. Does anybody know, if that was actually the case? I only remember them showing that feature off on Forge Island and that's it.

Halo 4 Turbo is probably the best example, considering it can "coexist" with the other weapon stats without requiring a patch or anything.

In addition to that, it'd be nice if you could set things up in a gametype in such a way where weapons had their damage parameters assigned to weapon skins rather than the weapons themselves, with some more changes to the skins to the extent of modifying 3D models; the M6C and M6D occupying the same "Magnum" weapon slot but under different skins, etc.

jem0208

I just finished playing through H4 and the rest of the campaigns again. Seriously, these games are so good.

It's also changed my mind about H4. I think it's up there tied with H3 as my favourite campaign.

It's got extremely satisfying gunplay, it's nowhere near as cramped as everyone seems to make it out to be and it's one of the most diverse campaigns in the series. There's the ghost run around the collapsing Requiem. There is the tank section followed by storming through the Infinity in a Mantis (there's also another, smaller tank section). You get to fly a Pelican around Reach style, there's the defend the composer section also with a Mantis. Following that you have the Death Star trench run in a Long Sword... It's crazy how many things you actually get to do in the game.

As for the story, most of the issues I initially had were resolved by actually paying attention to the game. Also it's ridiculously gorgeous and I love the environmental design.

The Knights are still a bit bullet spongy, the story is still too dense for those who haven't read the books and the final QTE is still terrible (and broken in the MCC). But I'm not too bothered by those issues.

Also I stand by the "She told me that once, about being a machine" line as being really good.

RowdyReverb

so Dave and Busters is pretty rad. bit pricey but a total blast.

Halo is still dad? Nintendo doesn't know how online works? Fuck Amiibos? Glad to see I'm still up to speed.
Did you play the Star Wars Battle Pod? I've been considering visiting my local D&B purely to check that thing out. It's supposed to be pretty great.

I just finished playing through H4 and the rest of the campaigns again. Seriously, these games are so good.

It's also changed my mind about H4. I think it's up there tied with H3 as my favourite campaign.

It's got extremely satisfying gunplay, it's nowhere near as cramped as everyone seems to make it out to be and it's one of the most diverse campaigns in the series. There's the ghost run around the collapsing Requiem. There is the tank section followed by storming through the Infinity in a Mantis (there's also another, smaller tank section). You get to fly a Pelican around Reach style, there's the defend the composer section also with a Mantis. Following that you have the Death Star trench run in a Long Sword... It's crazy how many things you actually get to do in the game.

As for the story, most of the issues I initially had were resolved by actually paying attention to the game. Also it's ridiculously gorgeous and I love the environmental design.

The Knights are still a bit bullet spongy, the story is still too dense for those who haven't read the books and the final QTE is still terrible (and broken in the MCC). But I'm not too bothered by those issues.

Also I stand by the "She told me that once, about being a machine" line as being really good.
I replayed it recently and found that I enjoyed it a lot more when I didn't play on legendary. I remember my legendary play through on 360 being a total slog through bullet sponge knights with constant ammo scavenging and I think it hurt my first impression of it. Replayed it recently on heroic (or maybe normal?) and had more fun with it.

The story is good sci-fi, the settings are beautiful, especially on MCC, and I agree that there is a ton of variety in the level designs. You have deserts, jungles, ice fields, forerunner structures, and asteroid caverns, and almost every level seemed to have its own unique twist.

I think that the Prometheans were part of the reason the campaign wasn't as well-received by fans. They just aren't as satisfying to battle for some reason. Maybe it's because each Covenant enemy has a pretty clear-cut way that you should dispatch them, but the Prometheans Knights/Battlewagons and Watchers generally just involve shooting them in the face until they explode while hoping they don't escape to cover and you don't run out of ammo. It was sort of the same thing that made Brutes less fun to fight in H2/H3.

"She told me that once... like, once. While she was going insane. Also it was about three hours ago."
Did they give a timeframe between those scenes? I was under the impression that his conversation with Lasky might have been days later.

jem0208

"She told me that once... like, once. While she was going insane. Also it was about three hours ago."

That was actually one of her more sane moments. Anyway, the whole "she told me that once" isn't really the reason I like it.

I think the concept of whether or not Spartans are machines, or even human, is really interesting. Cortana, the most human aspect of the Chief, has just died; that line shows the Chief considering the concept of him being purely "Military hardware". I have a feeling that theme may play quite a large role in H5.

343 doesn't pay you nearly enough for the hard work you do on these forums day in and day out

It's probably about the same amount as Funknown gets paid by the guy who designed CE's pistol.

Did you play the Star Wars Battle Pod? I've been considering visiting my local D&B purely to check that thing out. It's supposed to be pretty great.

I replayed it recently and found that I enjoyed it a lot more when I didn't play on legendary. I remember my legendary play through on 360 being a total slog through bullet sponge knights with constant ammo scavenging and I think it hurt my first impression of it. Replayed it recently on heroic (or maybe normal?) and had more fun with it.

The story is good sci-fi, the settings are beautiful, especially on MCC, and I agree that there is a ton of variety in the level designs. You have deserts, jungles, ice fields, forerunner structures, and asteroid caverns, and almost every level seemed to have its own unique twist.

I think that the Prometheans were part of the reason the campaign wasn't as well-received by fans. They just aren't as satisfying to battle for some reason. Maybe it's because each Covenant enemy has a pretty clear-cut way that you should dispatch them, but the Prometheans Knights/Battlewagons and Watchers generally just involve shooting them in the face until they explode while hoping they don't escape to cover and you don't run out of ammo. It was sort of the same thing that made Brutes less fun to fight in H2/H3.

Did they give a timeframe between those scenes? I was under the impression that his conversation with Lasky might have been days later.

I agree about the Prometheans not being brilliant. I think the biggest problem though was the lack of visual indication that you were doing any damage. I mean almost every enemy in Halo basically just requires you to shoot them in face until they die. However the Elites had the shield flare and burst, the Brutes have the hats which pop off, even jackels have the stagger. Whereas the Prometheans just kinda sit there taking it until they fizzle away with pretty particle effects. I actually quite liked the range of abilities they have, it's just quite unsatisfying to fight them when most of your bullets don't seem to be doing anything.

That I said I loved killing the crawlers, very satisfying to get a headshot on those guys.

This wasn't really directed at you by the way :p

More the whole concept that getting paid for this is ridiculous.

I thought Cortana was written very poorly. The cringe worthy dialogue from Halo 3 rolled right into Halo 4 without hesitation. Also, her voice is more fitting for the calm and slightly snarky tone in Halo 1 and 2. The voice actor just doesn't seem to do well with a desperate and emotionally unstable character. Cortana doesn't even seem like Cortana. Honestly, the calmly executed line "Don't make a girl a promise, if you know you can't keep it" has far more emotional impact than her desperate cries and weird outbursts in 3 and 4. Because Halo 4's Cortana didn't seem like Cortana, didn't look like Cortana, or didn't even sound like Cortana...I just didn't care about her.

Well, Chief and her spent some considerable time in Slipspace considering they rode the Lich to Gamma Halo and then jumped again back to Earth using the Broadsword, so it could have easily been days / weeks, bare minimum. It's more about presentation, considering in a standard Normal / Heroic playthrough you could potentially be hearing that same line an hour or two later with minimal context.

Impala26

I thought Cortana was written very poorly. The cringe worthy dialogue from Halo 3 rolled right into Halo 4 without hesitation. Also, her voice is more fitting for the calm and slightly snarky tone in Halo 1 and 2. The voice actor just doesn't seem to do well with a desperate and emotionally unstable character. Cortana doesn't even seem like Cortana. Honestly, the calmly executed line "Don't make a girl a promise, if you know you can't keep it" has far more emotional impact than her desperate cries and weird outbursts in 3 and 4. Because Halo 4's Cortana didn't seem like Cortana, didn't look like Cortana, or didn't even sound like Cortana...I just didn't care about her.

Ouch :-/

Semi-Pro Tier gif

Ramirez

I want my Online Games to work in 2015...Halo MCC did not work in 2015.

Who said anything about MCC? lol

An online game launching with 5 maps, no voice chat, and no matchmaking with friends on the same team...in 2015.

They're giving out free maps because they know they just sold you a $60 demo.

Which I guess is better than selling a $60 lemon that's still in pre-alpha 6 months after launch I suppose. ;P

Computer

Trying to play with some guys but it says I cannot join them due to their privacy settings. Any ideas? I looked at the privacy settings and don't see anything that would block this.

This is a common issue I have a lot. Hard reset. It may or may not work.

daedalius

Who said anything about MCC? lol

An online game launching with 5 maps, no voice chat, and no matchmaking with friends on the same team...in 2015.

They're giving out free maps because they know they just sold you a $60 demo.

Which I guess is better than selling a $60 lemon that's still in pre-alpha 6 months after launch I suppose. ;P

Splatoon sounded promising, I guess its not like I have any friends on that console anyway...

but I'll probably just get the Witcher instead.

Haruko

Trying to play with some guys but it says I cannot join them due to their privacy settings. Any ideas? I looked at the privacy settings and don't see anything that would block this.

Are you in the Preview Program? If so, delete the Wireless Display beta app and hard reboot.

Yes, that Nintendo. But the same Nintendo who also believe in giving free maps out in 2015 (even if the game should've maybe been delayed). Let's see 343 release free maps which aren't "Sorry We Messed Up" Gifts.

Wonderful 101 didn't need Online Multiplayer. The others maybe did.
Just imagine where Nintendo could be if they gave us the games we wanted and the functionality of competing platforms from 10 years ago (2004 XBL was more advanced than Nintendo's online in 2015). The Wonderful 101 and several other games would have been in my possession day one if they had online co-op/multiplayer, and many of my friends would own Wii U's if Nintendo cared about online interactions. Unless you're a diehard Nintendo fan, you're not going to spend hundreds on a console for $60 games that deliver a fraction of the content found on competing platforms. It just won't happen, not in 2015 and not any year after it. There's no home, no pleasant interaction outside of the totally anonymous Miiverse where you can check out cool pics occasionally, or I could just use the internet lol.

Nintendo needs to catch up already and it's exactly why they haven't taken over the world yet. Being a fan has been rough for far too long, and not the type of fan who owns 10 3DS's because reasons or buys consoles from other regions to play games a little bit early.

It was pretty rad. Really cool screen, controls were tight, and overall just made e feel like a kid. Kind of short for a single game, but I guess that's the point, to make you spend more on it. I recommend it.

And I loved the Batman racing/shooter game. No idea how to prevent getting shot at, but it was a blast all the same.
Batman is my great obsession.

Actually, I want to change my answer: Halo still desperately needs its Grunt Squadron game where grizzled Grunt protagonist Edward Gapdap miraculously survives long enough to retire, only to
become the overweight Grunt scribe working for the Brute Army Commander mentioned in his Halo Wars description.

Man, I'd love a Halo 4 BTB playlist. With no armor abilities, etc. on all game modes.

Also, Big Team CTF on Ragnarok is a clusterfuck. A fun clusterfuck. The DMR pinging can be annoying though.

-Ryn

Banned
Honestly I found my opinion of Halo 4 worsened as I replayed it rwvently.

From a gameplay standpoint it constantly felt like I was being stuffed through tight corridor after corridor. Even when you land on Requiem, none of the exploration feels organic. It feels like one giant premade race track. The shooting felt fine for the most part. Enemies on the other hand were kinda just boring to fight. On Legendary they aren't any more of a challenge. They're just bigger bullet sponges that do more damage (which isn't even difficult when you have a suppressor). The only gameplay moments that really felt memorable were the jet fighter mission (which was awesome) and flying the Pelican for the first time in Halo history
unless you count that Easter egg in Reach
or Halo CE on the PC

The sound design is still the least impressive out of all the Halos imho. It ranges from fairly decent (the DMR) to so bad it physically assaults my ear holes (the Warthog... good GAWD the Warthog), leaning towards the latter for the most part. The soundtrack, while not bad by any means (menu music aside), doesn't really evoke that same sense of mystery, awe, or intense excitement that Halo has given in the past. Though there are a few really solid pieces that did carry those feelings (117, Green and Blue, Galaxy if I recall correctly are some solid examples).

Then you've got the art design... ehhhhhhhh...
If I had to say one thing I really liked from H4 art design wise it would be Chief. While the means in which he got his new armor was stupid, it does look awesome IMHO. The Forerunner architecture for the most part was disappointing. There were times it looked gorgeous, but for the most part it felt very video gamey. Like the only purpose to its existence was for the benefit of the player character instead of being something built by ancient super beings for their own purposes.

Lastly the story. It's a hot mess as a standalone story with some redeemable aspects to it and a few interesting ideas. Ultimately it fails as a whole though. Not the worst story ever of course but it leaves a lot to be desired. Hopefully Halo 5 does a better job.

#HunttheTruth
#butts

Unreal Tournament/Gears of War 3 mutators
Aren't those similar to skulls from Halo? Never played Gears (aside from a few matches of horde mode I'm Gears 2 way back).

Dogfighting. Players spawn in Seraphs or Sabres in a big outer space map and blast each other out of the sky. Maybe each team defends a larger ship and the team who destroys the other's wins. Basically a multiplayer version of Long Night of Solace in Reach.

Also, ever since I heard that Boarding Action was originally designed with jetpacks in mind, I've wanted to play that map with jetpacks.

I think I just like space maps in general. moar space maps.
YEEEEEESSSSSS

Space maps and the concept of space gameplay (in space) adds a whole new potential dynamic to game play so it makes sense to find it interesting. I would love if there were maybe some Battlefront esque super game modes. Maybe a variant of Invasion where you could have a covvy ship and a human ship.duking it out? Make the ship itself drivable in space and have there be 2 ways to win. Either by destroying the enemy ship or by stealing the power core inside. Would a blast. At least I think so.

This would be a great feature for the Halo community and would completely revolutionize community content. Instead of being limiter to using spawn points people could make actual nude anime chicks out of the terrain.

Would you say it'd be better off in a separate PC based system that can create the map and port it to console or do you think it could work fine within the game itself?

To actually answer this:

More visual impacts after a spartan's shields are down. I would like to shatter a visor with a sniper bullet or leave burn marks when using a plasma weapon. I would like to see a burn mark/hole when you slice someone with a sword. I would like to see sparks and armor flakes fly off when you blast someone with a shotgun up close.
This would be an interesting attention to detail reminiscent of the armor degradation from the H3 beta. I'm into it. Would love to see battle damaged Spartans in the game.

Actually, I want to change my answer: Halo still desperately needs its Grunt Squadron game where grizzled Grunt protagonist Edward Gapdap miraculously survives long enough to retire, only to
become the overweight Grunt scribe working for the Brute Army Commander mentioned in his Halo Wars description.
Now THAT'S a story worth telling.
I'd play the shit out of that.

I would like to play with bots.
Something I think we would all love to see in Halo.
Would be great for player training especially.

Gravity-altered areas would be far more interesting now that we have thrusters.
HaloReachDefiantMapCondemnedMP.jpg

Condemned
Reach's DLC maps were much better than what we saw at launch, and damn, that Elite reminds me how the Spartans should have felt. It was more fun.

Gravity-altered areas would be far more interesting now that we have thrusters.

Reach's DLC maps were much better than what we saw at launch, and damn, that Elite reminds me how the Spartans should have felt. It was more fun.

Should be a firefight mission set in various chambers with live modifications made for gravimetric disturbances. A gravity gauntlet, if you would.

Honestly I found my opinion of Halo 4 worsened as I replayed it rwvently.

From a gameplay standpoint it constantly felt like I was being stuffed through tight corridor after corridor. Even when you land on Requiem, none of the exploration feels organic. It feels like one giant premade race track. The shooting felt fine for the most part. Enemies on the other hand were kinda just boring to fight. On Legendary they aren't any more of a challenge. They're just bigger bullet sponges that do more damage (which isn't even difficult when you have a suppressor). The only gameplay moments that really felt memorable were the jet fighter mission (which was awesome) and flying the Pelican for the first time in Halo history
unless you count that Easter egg in Reach
or Halo CE on the PC

The sound design is still the least impressive out of all the Halos imho. It ranges from fairly decent (the DMR) to so bad it physically assaults my ear holes (the Warthog... good GAWD the Warthog), leaning towards the latter for the most part. The soundtrack, while not bad by any means (menu music aside), doesn't really evoke that same sense of mystery, awe, or intense excitement that Halo has given in the past. Though there are a few really solid pieces that did carry those feelings (117, Green and Blue, Galaxy if I recall correctly are some solid examples).

Then you've got the art design... ehhhhhhhh...
If I had to say one thing I really liked from H4 art design wise it would be Chief. While the means in which he got his new armor was stupid, it does look awesome IMHO. The Forerunner architecture for the most part was disappointing. There were times it looked gorgeous, but for the most part it felt very video gamey. Like the only purpose to its existence was for the benefit of the player character instead of being something built by ancient super beings for their own purposes.

Lastly the story. It's a hot mess as a standalone story with some redeemable aspects to it and a few interesting ideas. Ultimately it fails as a whole though. Not the worst story ever of course but it leaves a lot to be desired. Hopefully Halo 5 does a better job.

#HunttheTruth
#butts
tumblr_lyh9m4OEPV1qb3eyzo1_500.gif

I'm Kamina in this analogy and I am proud.

sexyelder

Hey, first post here, big lore fanatic. Has there ever been an explanation as to why the Spartans in the Halo 4 prologue wear Mk 6 gen 2 armor?

Hey, first post here, big lore fanatic. Has there ever been an explanation as to why the Spartans in the Halo 4 prologue wear Mk 6 gen 2 armor?

Reusing visual assets most likely.

Also, I have a hard time really taking a lot of the lore seriously in Halo because some really big stuff has been scrapped and re-explained.

Example:
Halo 1 & 2 built up to Halo 3's: Humans are the forerunners.
Halo 4: Humans were not forerunners.

Kind of a big deal. Can't take a franchise's lore too seriously if a company decides to scrap that big of a plot point to make a new game with a "fresh" new plot.

>.<

sexyelder

Also, I have a hard time really taking a lot of the lore seriously in Halo because some really big stuff has been scrapped and re-explained.

Example:

Kind of a big deal. Can't take a franchise's lore too seriously if a company decides to scrap that big of a plot point to make a new game with a "fresh" new plot.

>.<
Technically both the Humans and the Forerunners were the same species once (The Inheritors) and spark saying chief was forerunner is true because chief is the human incarnation of the Iso-Didact (Bornstellar)

Akai__

so odst reappeared on the store last night? is it still there?

It's been found on the 27th. It got pulled on the website, but not on the Xbox One store and 343i/Frankie said it was an odd "marketplace glitch". Date got debunked and it was only a placeholder. ODST is still in testing, release date yet to be determined.

-Ryn

Banned

Impala26

Example:

>.<

I won't disagree with you about how it was a bit of course correction, but I will happily debate as to how it's a far more interesting concept to have Foreunners as a similar but entirely different species from Humanity.

Bungie OG Humans = Forerunners is kind of a played out trope don't you think?

"But I have to destroy the demons!"
"No John, you ARE the demons!"

Props to anyone who knows the reference XD

Case in point:

Technically both the Humans and the Forerunners were the same species once (The Inheritors) and spark saying chief was forerunner is true because chief is the human incarnation of the Iso-Didact (Bornstellar)

343's handling of the lore is by far less egregious than Bungie's handling of the lore of Reach from the Fall of Reach base material to the game.

Fuchsdh

This still is in no way confirmed, and I wish people stopped treating it like fact.

I won't disagree with you about how it was a bit of course correction, but I will happily debate as to how it's a far more interesting concept to have Foreunners as a similar but entirely different species from Humanity.

Bungie OG Humans = Forerunners is kind of a played out trope don't you think?

"But I have to destroy the demons!"
"No John, you ARE the demons!"

Props to anyone who knows the reference XD

Case in point:

343's handling of the lore is by far less egregious than Bungie's handling of the lore of Reach from the Fall of Reach base material to the game.

Everything in sci-fi seems kinda "played out." I just don't like how inconsistent the story telling is, no matter how much of a trope it is. I have a hard time taking a story seriously if they can't even tell the main plot points consistently.

Impala26

Everything in sci-fi seems kinda "played out." I just don't like how inconsistent the story telling is, no matter how much of a trope it is. I have a hard time taking a story seriously if they can't even tell the main plot points consistently.

True. Personally my biggest gripe with the storytelling in Halo 4 is the reliance on outside materials to effectively convey to the player what's going on. Also, while I liked that the Didact was a self-absorbed maniacal badass and more proper foil to Chief than say the entirety of the Covenant or just Truth or the Gravemind, it really irked me how 343 failed to explain WHY Didact was being a genocidal maniac--especially given how he's literally the first living Forerunner we see in-game.

On the note of played-out, there is absolutely no denying that Bungie was influenced HEAVILY by "Space Marine" tropes in CE, most obviously the Alien universe. I love CE like a child of my own, but anyone who rambles on about it being this completely original story/concept I can only shake my head at.

It's been found on the 27th. It got pulled on the website, but not on the Xbox One store and 343i/Frankie said it was an odd "marketplace glitch". Date got debunked and it was only a placeholder. ODST is still in testing, release date yet to be determined.

according to reddit it popped up AGAIN last night

True. Personally my biggest gripe with the storytelling in Halo 4 is the reliance on outside materials to effectively convey to the player what's going on. Also, while I liked that the Didact was a self-absorbed maniacal badass and more proper foil to Chief than say the entirety of the Covenant or just Truth or the Gravemind, it really irked me how 343 failed to explain WHY Didact was being a genocidal maniac--especially given how he's literally the first living Forerunner we see in-game.

On the note of played-out, there is absolutely no denying that Bungie was influenced HEAVILY by "Space Marine" tropes in CE, most obviously the Alien universe. I love CE like a child of my own, but anyone who rambles on about it being this completely original story/concept I can only shake my head at.

Yeah I can see that. The main reason I found CE's story to be so intriguing was because of the introduction of the flood and why the rings were built. It's a more unique take on a horror element in the genre.

Dat flood reveal.

Halo Anniversary had such potential, but it's graphical/art style changes raped the amazing setting and atmosphere of so many places--including the flood reveal. GRRRRR!

Akai__

according to reddit it popped up AGAIN last night

Where? Because I can't find it on the website and it was never removed from the Xbox One Store. We might get some information about it in todays WWU, if there's going to be one.

Halo Anniversary had such potential, but it's graphical/art style changes raped the amazing setting and atmosphere of so many places--including the flood reveal. GRRRRR!

Classy...

I think these people are confused. It was never gone (on the Xbox One) and like I said it was already confirmed to be a placeholder date. Don't get my hopes up. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom