• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

jem0208

Ads is garbage, AR is garbage so by the transitive property of SMG better than AR,

Both of those things are still bad.

Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Although, talking about AR starts. I think if they were to buff the pistol a bit AR/pistol starts in H5 could be great.

Damn it Jem, you missed a golden opportunity to use a Guilty Spark quote!

"I AM shocked... almost too shocked for words."

Dammit. I'm ashamed of myself.

Because AR starts is objectively bad.

And I like messing with Jem.

Well, CE is pretty good...

Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Although, talking about AR starts. I think if they were to buff the pistol a bit AR/pistol starts in H5 could be great.

Dammit. I'm ashamed of myself.

The pistol was pretty great. I could honestly see either SMG/Pistol (with AR on map) or AR/Pistol (with SMG on map).
Well, CE is pretty good...
Waitaminute! There was an AR in CE?

dwells

Y'all are gonna call me salty and negative again because I disappear for a week and then come back with the post I'm about to type, but, hey, it's the conversation that's currently going on. I had actually popped in here hoping to see ODST/Relic stuff but now that's also having problems... :(

For me a bigger debacle than the state of the game itself is the way we get information.

343 is terrible with this. A bulletin once a month were everything is seen through rosetinted glasses doesn't give us hope.
Make a section where the devs update us about the problems they face with those things, so we could somehow understand how some shit still happens after 790710947109 patches.

Make a fucking postmortem video about the MCC. Anything, seriously.
This has been the thing that has upset me most since the beginning of all this. I can deal with the product being broken. I can't accept all the times we've been misled, redirected, and flat-out lied to.

Loooooollllll

I'd be fine with just an official recall
Another thing I've been saying since the beginning. If they had just offered an official recall program and let those of us who didn't want to deal with this get our money back, it really would've softened the blow. Instead, they're sitting on hundreds of millions of dollars from people who feel ripped off and aren't able to do anything about it. If they really cared about the fans, they'd accept responsibility for the broken product, eat the loss, and issue refunds. It doesn't matter how viable it is financially, it's as simple as that consumers should not be responsible for footing the bill for a company's mistakes.

Yeah I've quit like 7 games for the sake of science, and lost 4 without quitting, and haven't deranked. Pretty sure its broken.
It is, I've experienced the same thing. Defeats the whole ranking system and skill-based matching, pretty much. Anyone can eventually play enough games to rank up.

Fracas GOAT HaloGAF poster tbh
I can support this.

Pretty sure no one sent any personal attacks. One guy wrote scam artist on a forum board that Dan will probably never even see. For you it's a video game, for many of us, it's an almost $500 investment that hasn't paid off. Some of us bought Xbox One consoles, live subscriptions, headsets, play and charge, the game itself, and for what? To be almost 7 months from launch with a shitty product? I don't care anymore either. The game is done. ODST can come, and I still won't play. But I can understand why people are upset. They have every right to be.
Spot on.

Any other product, any other company, any other industry that did something like this would be considered a scam. Which is what it is.
This is the part that really irks me as well. I don't understand why they aren't held to the same standard as any other company in any other industry. If a product is released that's broken and seven months later it's still not fixed properly, then it's way overdue for a recall. Otherwise, they're profiting off of selling and advertising a product they know to be faulty and deceiving the customer into thinking it's not.

What... someone with business sense!?! Get out of here with this garbage!
/s

Actually folks he's right. This is exactly why there aren't rapid improvement to MCC, because 90-95% of 343's budget from Microsoft is going to H5, because THAT'S where the money is. Sucks but that's the sad business-reality of Triple-A games. MCC is a hot mess, but we should be considered lucky that Microsoft isn't so greedy that they haven't abandoned it completely--there is virtually ZERO money left to be made from MCC from a business perspective.
That may well be true, but that doesn't make it okay, excusable, or even tolerable. Yes, post-sales support is not a profitable venture. It is, however, an ethical one, and important.

Let's talk about the Xbox 360 disc scratching issue as an example. During development, engineers realized that disks in the system were easily scratched by being moved, vibrations, or even normal deviation in motor behavior. This was due to the drive not having padding/stabilization for the discs, something which is common in pretty much all other optical disc readers. However, despite this knowledge, Microsoft decided that the fifty cents - yes, $0.50 - per console to prevent the issue was more than they wanted to spend. It would be cheaper to just deal with problems as they arose.

Was this profitable financially? Sure. The "business sense" said it was the way to go. But that doesn't make it ethical or appropriate. Thus why there's an ongoing lawsuit about it.

This excuse if probably one of the best. Guys, we never saw the scoreboard say 1th in the studio. We never saw the game crash during campaign. We never saw save file issues. We never saw the lighting issues with Halo 3 or Halo 4s cutscenes.

Give me a break. I played the game at Pax Prime last year and it crashed after every game was over and they'd have BS angel or someone else restart the game. That's not a good thing, especially when they blamed it on old code.
Do people just not remember this stuff? Because otherwise I don't see how anyone could possible believe the "oh, unexpected issues popped up, we had no idea, real world environments are unpredictable" PR line nonsense that's been repeatedly spouted.

RIP Halo

This excuse if probably one of the best. Guys, we never saw the scoreboard say 1th in the studio. We never saw the game crash during campaign. We never saw save file issues. We never saw the lighting issues with Halo 3 or Halo 4s cutscenes.

Give me a break. I played the game at Pax Prime last year and it crashed after every game was over and they'd have BS angel or someone else restart the game. That's not a good thing, especially when they blamed it on old code.

Yep. Anyone who still thinks/pretends 343 didn't know the condition of this product while peddling it hard last Fall is suffering from some SERIOUS delusion.

This is the part that really irks me as well. I don't understand why they aren't held to the same standard as any other company in any other industry. If a product is released that's broken and seven months later it's still not fixed properly, then it's way overdue for a recall. Otherwise, they're profiting off of selling and advertising a product they know to be faulty and deceiving the customer into thinking it's not.

Because for some reason there's a certain subset of people who play video games who will defend corporations who could give two shits about them at all costs. Broken product 7 months after launch? Please think of the people who made it! Please be patient! Please have respect!

IronWarrior

Neo Member
One of the guys involved in running matchmaking for Reach for Bungie -and- 343 still works for 343.

The institutional knowledge is present, he just has to be given permission / budget to do so. Same reason Bungie couldn't update Halo 2 after Halo 3 came out.. nobody was budgeted / allowed to go back and update Halo 2, because MS pays da bills and they weren't paying for the old game to be updated.

I remember reading about how tough it apparently is to update the playlists and balance the games. It's frustrating when you look at the support games like Warcraft 3 and Starcraft get (SC got a patch over 10 years after it's initial release) and compare them to Halo, MS's flagship franchise.

Although I think 343 has talked about how with Halo 5 it's supposedly easier to do quick balance changes to weapons. I don't suppose they've mentioned anything about a custom games browser? Would solve a lot of problems.

FyreWulff

I remember reading about how tough it apparently is to update the playlists and balance the games. It's frustrating when you look at the support games like Warcraft 3 and Starcraft get (SC got a patch over 10 years after it's initial release) and compare them to Halo, MS's flagship franchise.

Although I think 343 has talked about how with Halo 5 it's supposedly easier to do quick balance changes to weapons. I don't suppose they've mentioned anything about a custom games browser? Would solve a lot of problems.

Reach was relatively one of the easier Halo games to update, same with 4. 2's update stuff was terrible and it pretty much semi-broke the game every time they updated playlists until everyone on Live finally downloaded the new playlist data. For 3/Reach you actually have all the future upcoming playlists already on your harddrive.

Then you add in the fact that a bunch of people need to test and Live Ops needs to push out the update, which costs a notable amount of money in labor hours alone, and it's not as easy as people think.

While it isn't free, I think it's worth the PR boost to go back and consolidate/freshen older games once in a great while. Halo 3 needs it badly, like two playlists are functional now. Reach is the highest populated 360 Halo so it's not doing as badly but it could also use a bit of a belt tightening to focus it's population.

Reach also still has a popup telling you Halo 4 360 is about to launch.. :p

Remember how there was an explosion of people clamoring for a Spectator Mode for Halo 5 and now we're actually getting one? Well, isn't it kind of funny how people would rather waste their breath arguing against sprint than heavily push for a CGB, especially when 343 said it was here to stay and even put it on a toggle?

Nahhhhhhhhhhhh, continue arguing over sprint and poor playlist management though people. It may get you somewhere in another 10 years. Took me over a decade to finally get a good Magnum because we all know the Legendary Keyes Magnum is too good to pass up, so maybe in another 10 people will realize a CGB is what Halo has needed all along.

At least these videos are entertaining.

Fuchsdh

Reach was relatively one of the easier Halo games to update, same with 4. 2's update stuff was terrible and it pretty much semi-broke the game every time they updated playlists until everyone on Live finally downloaded the new playlist data. For 3/Reach you actually have all the future upcoming playlists already on your harddrive.

Then you add in the fact that a bunch of people need to test and Live Ops needs to push out the update, which costs a notable amount of money in labor hours alone, and it's not as easy as people think.

While it isn't free, I think it's worth the PR boost to go back and consolidate/freshen older games once in a great while. Halo 3 needs it badly, like two playlists are functional now. Reach is the highest populated 360 Halo so it's not doing as badly but it could also use a bit of a belt tightening to focus it's population.

Certainly one of the things I'd like console makers to look at from PC games is that the latter generally do a better job of sustain efforts. As you say, StarCraft was able to run without issue on my Macs for the better part of a decade; WarCraft III went from OS 9 compatibility to being an Intel-compatible Universal Binary (and Halo PC got the same treatment, which for a game that was more than three years out by then was very nice of GB.)

This thread is gold when all hell is breaking loose.

I just miss working Halo. Had a few games of MCC that were bug free, but when no one is playing what's the point? Sigh....

FyreWulff

Certainly one of the things I'd like console makers to look at from PC games is that the latter generally do a better job of sustain efforts. As you say, StarCraft was able to run without issue on my Macs for the better part of a decade; WarCraft III went from OS 9 compatibility to being an Intel-compatible Universal Binary (and Halo PC got the same treatment, which for a game that was more than three years out by then was very nice of GB.)

I know they want their money, and they have that policy that paid DLC achievements can never be free, but at this point you're getting blood out of a stone and you've happily given people 4 Halo games on the One for the price of all of Halo 3's DLC put together. You've given away the base game itself. But making the DLC itself free just can't happen. So weird.

IHaveIce

Banned
People saying fracas is a goat poster... it truely are the endtimes.

My boy Elzar once again with Batman references. You grow up to be a respectable smelly, weird fellow my dear.

Vids are fun, Halo is dad, Destiny is mum.
I miss Speedy

IronWarrior

Neo Member

I really agree on the PR bit about keeping them fresh. Does Halo 3 BTB still require all the DLC? A couple years back I worked for an MS team that was pushing both a new product while maintaining a legacy one, and it for sure definitely takes more effort than most people think but I really think the value is there. I got into Halo by playing through the PC versions of 1 and 2, and by now I have a 360/X1 along with nearly every Halo game released, so it can really show how older stuff can bring people in.

Remember how there was an explosion of people clamoring for a Spectator Mode for Halo 5 and now we're actually getting one? Well, isn't it kind of funny how people would rather waste their breath arguing against sprint than heavily push for a CGB, especially when 343 said it was here to stay and even put it on a toggle?

Nahhhhhhhhhhhh, continue arguing over sprint and poor playlist management though people. It may get you somewhere in another 10 years. Took me over a decade to finally get a good Magnum because we all know the Legendary Keyes Magnum is too good to pass up, so maybe in another 10 people will realize a CGB is what Halo has needed all along.

At least these videos are entertaining.

Has 343/Bungie ever commented on why they don't have a CGB? They made a huge push with custom games (Forge in 3, better Forge in Reach) and a CGB isn't a huge technical hurdle if the interest is there.

I know they want their money, and they have that policy that paid DLC achievements can never be free, but at this point you're getting blood out of a stone and you've happily given people 4 Halo games on the One for the price of all of Halo 3's DLC put together. You've given away the base game itself. But making the DLC itself free just can't happen. So weird.

At the very least they should have all the DLC be bundled all together available on the store at a reduced price, similar to how Blizzard makes the Battle Chests for their legacy titles to make it easy to get the full game (original and xpacs).

Has 343/Bungie ever commented on why they don't have a CGB? They made a huge push with custom games (Forge in 3, better Forge in Reach) and a CGB isn't a huge technical hurdle if the interest is there.

I'm guessing it's because it would cut into matchmaking population, or it's just very difficult to implement. Don't think they've ever said anything official on it though.

pieface

WTF is with people joining BTB games and being AFK? Seems to happen every game. Why bother going into it if you don't want to play? So annoying.

Cuz they are HaloGaffers.

*spawns in*
*starts with AR*
"guys i just got AR starts on sandtrap in 2015"
*gets killed while idling*
"wow and the spawn system is still broken too"
*gets killed a few more times for idling while checking GAF*
"man this host pull is ridiculous, so much for dedicated servers"
*quits out*
"wow and the game just booted me too, ridiculous"
"and i didn't even go down a rank!"

*spawns in*
*starts with AR*
"guys i just got AR starts on sandtrap in 2015"
*gets killed while idling*
"wow and the spawn system is still broken too"
*gets killed a few more times for idling while checking GAF*
"man this host pull is ridiculous, so much for dedicated servers"
*quits out*
"wow and the game just booted me too, ridiculous"
"and i didn't even go down a rank!"

lol that seems about right!

MouldyK

Okay, after playing Splatoon for most of the day with my friend taking turns, the game only had laggy matches 1-2 times.

Matchmaking times were faster than MCC even with only mostly Japanese players on at the moment.

HTupolev

Okay, after playing Splatoon for most of the day with my friend taking turns, the game only had laggy matches 1-2 times.

Matchmaking times were faster than MCC even with only mostly Japanese players on at the moment.
SHOCKING NEWS: Nintendo product works

-Ryn

Banned
If you guys could add one feature to Halo, what would it be?

Spoiler alert:
Day One functionality ain't a feature ya jackasses

SHOCKING NEWS: Nintendo product works
If there is one thing Nintendo has always been pretty reliable on, its the quality of their games.

Spoiler alert:
Day One functionality ain't a feature ya jackasses

If there is one thing Nintendo has always been pretty reliable on, its the quality of their games.

God bless Nintendo.

if day one day functionality isn't a feature then they don't have to include it ;)

Nebula

yuuuuuuuuuup

As an owner of both, I've been really disappointed in this generation.

Thought I'd take this opportunity to say that I've owned both and not played either of them in 2 months. I have however played Diablo 3 and Halo 4 on the 360 in the past week. Diablo 3 with 2 other people is a pretty cool game. Might get it for Xbone just for the graphic upgrade. Barely even kept up to date on whats releasing because my interest has just disappeared completely lately.

-Ryn

Banned
God bless Nintendo.

if day one day functionality isn't a feature then they don't have to include it ;)
I suppose these days you could get away with touting it as a feature on the back of the box. Put it up there with no day one content update/patch necessary. They'd make millions.

Nintendo? No online for Mario Party 10, Mario 3D World, The Wonderful 101, etc. Nintendo? No parties or voice chat for Splatoon Nintendo? Locking things behind DLC, oh I mean Amiibo Nintendo? Not being able to party up with a friend in Smash and search for randoms in 2015 Nintendo?

Nintendo? No online for Mario Party 10, Mario 3D World, The Wonderful 101, etc. Nintendo? No parties or voice chat for Splatoon Nintendo? Locking things behind DLC, oh I mean Amiibo Nintendo? Not being able to party up with a friend in Smash and search for randoms in 2015 Nintendo?

wtf.gif

VinFTW

It works, but has nothing you actually want in an online game, so...yea.

Unfortunately. Don't think I'm gonna get it till after the game is actually finished around August.

Lack of depth as well is a turn-off.

Anyways, was on Destiny for a bit today for the first time in a while. So much to do with both expansion passes, only 28 1/2 :/. Managed to do a solo daily lvl 30 story mission. Good fun, shooting is as good as it always was.

Got a lot of work to do to catch up.

On topic: I'm not too bummed about ODST probably not making May. I'd rather wait a few weeks for a fully functional product and a better patch similar to March patch improvements.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. Nintendo products work, but good god are they falling short when it comes to online. And Amiibo is terrible.

JaggedSac

Trying to play with some guys but it says I cannot join them due to their privacy settings. Any ideas? I looked at the privacy settings and don't see anything that would block this.

MouldyK

Yes, that Nintendo. But the same Nintendo who also believe in giving free maps out in 2015 (even if the game should've maybe been delayed). Let's see 343 release free maps which aren't "Sorry We Messed Up" Gifts.

Wonderful 101 didn't need Online Multiplayer. The others maybe did.

It works, but has nothing you actually want in an online game, so...yea.

I want my Online Games to work in 2015...Halo MCC did not work in 2015.

Unfortunately. Don't think I'm gonna get it till after the game is actually finished around August.

Lack of depth as well is a turn-off.

I had a blast taking turns with my friend earlier today even if it was taking turns for 3 hours on the same 2 maps. But I wouldn't blame you for waiting until August really, the game will be worth more then because of the new content. Will be sure to get your NNID then and join your games to either destroy you or aid you, depending on where the game feels like putting us lol.
Nintendo is releasing a half-finished online shooter with missing features that come in a later update: WiiU is finally a next gen console!

Bought an Xbox one today just for halo. I was aware of most of the problems but just wanted to play my favourite game again. O the joys of rumble pit on halo 3. I actually found a game every time I started matchmaking. Which is awesome. I don't like being booted out of the party after each game though.

Still. I might become addicted again

RowdyReverb

Dogfighting. Players spawn in Seraphs or Sabres in a big outer space map and blast each other out of the sky. Maybe each team defends a larger ship and the team who destroys the other's wins. Basically a multiplayer version of Long Night of Solace in Reach.

Also, ever since I heard that Boarding Action was originally designed with jetpacks in mind, I've wanted to play that map with jetpacks.

I think I just like space maps in general. moar space maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom