• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

Split screen ruined a lot of stuff for Reach didnt it?

All that really happened is instead of holding people back like they did for Sandbox, Bungie let you go turboderp with Forge World's budget. You can still make good maps and concepts in Reach forge for 4 split, but certain groups and people always want to use like 9500$ to make a map. It was impossible to make a map that hurt 4 split in Halo 3 because Bungie prevented you from doing so (ignoring the budget glitch). The fact that budget glitched maps usually tanked 4 split in Halo 3, and the fact that Halo 3 had no capability to limit local players for a playlist probably played a part in budget glitched maps being banned from submission via ATLAS.

Maybe the game should have warned you when you go past 5000$ that your performance for split screen users may suffer. As it is, Asylum is considered the lowest you can go for splitscreen performance for matchmaking. Far Cry did the same thing: they let you go all out with maps, but there was a performance meter at the top right in the map editor that tells you "Hmm, maybe 100 trains and 50 villages on your map isn't such a great idea". If they had cut the available budget down to 5,000$ for FW, people would have just complained about a limited budget. They probably figured people were going to try to budget glitch (like they did in 3) anyway, so they just let you get within setting your 360 on fire.

That being said, the thing that would get me to preorder Halo 4 would be the announcement of a Far Cry-esque map editor with heightmap editing and the ability to bake in proper lighting.

Striker

uhh what?

Narrows and Construct are great maps. They got ruined by either Radar or Bungie fucking with the spawns post launch.
They were plagued with horrific spawns. Not sure what MLG did to correct anything in Narrows for its spawns, but everything non-MLG it is a horror show. As for Construct, I only felt it playable under MLG King rules. The spawns, weapon layout, hundreds of grenades lying around the map lol, ugh, so bad.

Well we were running a full party and the vote still usually swung like 5-1 or something like that in TU's favor. Didn't play a single Vanilla game.
When I was playing, TU wouldn't even be an option, even if we went to a second voting round. Did they fix it?

Just did a TS match, 1st option Slayer Zealot / Elite Slayer Zealot, 2nd option Slayer Uncaged / Slayer DMRs Uncaged. How is the TU going to win the vote when it's doesn't show up at all?

Too bad the grenades are one of the few things that I like about Halo 3.

In all seriousness though, I think I could understand, if not necessarily agree with, just about every design decision in every Halo game, with the exception of Reach grenades. They are plain broken in just about any way to you look at them.

:(

Louis Wu

Claude, if you did this and I won, anything you want, you just name it. Louis Wu Halo montage with all my overkills? Not a problem.
What, both of them?

I keed, I keed

I'm not sure a post on HBO will make any difference at all at this late stage - but I posted it anyway. :) (I definitely don't want you going to a tournament with a team name like Louis Wu's Filthy Whores if you win.)

Hey guys
http://www.wetanz.com/master-chief-sterling-silver-ring/

FORGIVE ME IF THIS IS OLD, HYPER
Dude - it's WAY old. Like almost 3 years old.

kylej

Banned
343 and Bungie love to place weapons in bad spots. Its very easy to grab a shotgun and camp a base so Bungie and 343 probably had fun doing that.

I wish I could find that one dude's quote because it so perfectly described Halo playtesting. Something like, "Bungie/343 plays at a level where moving the analog sticks on a controller is considered a victory, then decides what's fun for them is best for everyone".

Could someone for once actually give a shit about the state of Halo matchmaking other than the playerbase? There's about 14 people who still care about Halo, maybe now's the time to finally give people what they want instead of having this bizarre puritanical view of the ~*golden trifecta/30 seconds of fun/AR/Bungie's vision*~

When I was playing, TU wouldn't even be an option, even if we went to a second voting round. Did they fix it?

Just did a TS match, 1st option Slayer Zealot / Elite Slayer Zealot, 2nd option Slayer Uncaged / Slayer DMRs Uncaged. How is the TU going to win the vote when it's doesn't show up at all?
Didn't know there was anything to fix. Every game was Option 1: Vanilla and Option 2: TU.

Ah that sucks, I hated when one nade would kill me in the beta. I know the Bungie guys said it never happened, but it happened loads.

Reach is pretty aweful when it comes to nades, theres no precision or placement just lob and hope for the best. I got an extermination just by lobbing 2 nades, that should never happen.

Long live Halo 3 nades.

FyreWulff

They should add cooking for grenades.

Was already considered for Halo 2 and cut

edit: well, not cook before you throw, but they played around with the idea of being able to throw a grenade and it wouldn't detonate as long as you held the trigger down. Basically the idea behind the current pro pipe

Remember that democracy allows everyone to vote. And not everyone is sane, far from it.

The biggest problem with democracy is actually getting people to vote. For example all the people who dislike Vanilla Reach are hardly going to go into a playlist where there are 50/50 odds of playing settings they dislike.

They should add cooking for grenades.

cooking-mama.jpg

?

This is actually a very good game, don't judge me.

That being said, the thing that would get me to preorder Halo 4 would be the announcement of a Far Cry-esque map editor with heightmap editing and the ability to bake in proper lighting.

That would be do nice, I think everybody will be pretty dissapointed if we get a damn MEGA BLOKS set instead of a proper map editor.

That would be do nice, I think everybody will be pretty dissapointed if we get a damn MEGA BLOCK set instead of a proper map editor.

You'd only be disappointed if you expect a proper map editor.

I expect a mega block set that doesn't break framerate as easily as it did in Reach. Any less than that and I will be disappointed. Do we really have any reason to expect a full on proper map editor? No.

FyreWulff

That would be do nice, I think everybody will be pretty dissapointed if we get a damn MEGA BLOKS set instead of a proper map editor.

To be honest, I was hoping Reach would have one. But as soon as we found out they were re-writing the engine, I pretty much assumed we were going to get an upgraded Forge. That being said, it was a really good update. I go into Halo 3 Forge and am all "FUCKING BLOCK STOP FUCKING MOVING JESUS CHRIST HOW DID I TOLERATE THIS *dashboard*". But if MS is going to continue this pattern of lame DLC support (two packs out the gate, then one released a year or more later after everyone has moved on) we need better tools for the community to shore up their DLC offerings.

Far Cry 2's editor is so good I honestly don't know anyone that bought it's paid DLC maps. That might be a scary thought for MS.

To be honest, I was hoping Reach would have one. But as soon as we found out they were re-writing the engine, I pretty much assumed we were going to get an upgraded Forge. That being said, it was a really good update. I go into Halo 3 Forge and am all "FUCKING BLOCK STOP FUCKING MOVING JESUS CHRIST HOW DID I TOLERATE THIS *dashboard*". But if MS is going to continue this pattern of lame DLC support (two packs out the gate, then one released a year or more later after everyone has moved on) we need better tools for the community to shore up their DLC offerings.

Far Cry 2's editor is so good I honestly don't know anyone that bought it's paid DLC maps. That might be a scary thought for MS.

Its simple. You bundle the DLC maps with armor and more items/textures/w.e for forge world and patch them into the .maps via a ppf style system?

Forge Word 3.0 gets updates along with the user getting new maps and armor.

I didn't get a chance to play with the the Far Cry 2 editor but Eazy's Farhalla map was rad.

FyreWulff

I didn't get a chance to play with the the Far Cry 2 editor but Eazy's Farhalla map was rad.

The map editor trailer, which just scratches the surface:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8qa-naczjg

Keep in mind this is 360 footage. It's 20$ on steam right now for PC, which is the version I have because the 360 version didn't have Legacy sticks.

edit: and it even has tricks. People figured out how to make elevators (this shows the ability to copy/paste and group copy/paste)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhXvXb1PxqQ&feature=related

You'd only be disappointed if you expect a proper map editor.

I expect a mega block set that doesn't break framerate as easily as it did in Reach. Any less than that and I will be disappointed. Do we really have any reason to expect a full on proper map editor? No.
There is a reason; the first two attempts at Forge left it's users with little room to make a quality map that's fit for long-term matchmaking status. Reach tried to add to the features that were added late to H3, but it fell short in a lot of obvious areas like framerate and an extremely monotone color set. It would be a very safe bet to make that the Forging audience have matured enough to move on to something beyond searching for a spot to put their blocks.

The main reason I think we won't get much more than an update on Reach's Forge is familiarity. Virtually anyone can do something with Forge by now (like moving weapons and spawns), so I don't think 343 will take that ability away from everyone with a complex map editor. Ideally, I'd love to see something akin to the original Forge in H3 that only allowed for weapon, spawn, and gametype tweaks on the shipping maps, and a separate editor that was able to incorporate the original Forge while giving more adept users a real chance to make a map that could stand with the professionals in matchmaking. Dare to dream...

There is a reason; the first two attempts at Forge left it's users with little room to make a quality map that's fit for long-term matchmaking status. Reach tried to add to the features that were added late to H3, but it fell short in a lot of obvious areas like framerate and an extremely monotone color set. It would be a very safe bet to make that the Forging audience have matured enough to move on to something beyond searching for a spot to put their blocks.

The main reason I think we won't get much more than an update on Reach's Forge is familiarity. Virtually anyone can do something with Forge by now (like moving weapons and spawns), so I don't think 343 will take that ability away from everyone with a complex map editor. Ideally, I'd love to see something akin to the original Forge in H3 that only allowed for weapon, spawn, and gametype tweaks on the shipping maps, and a separate editor that was able to incorporate the original Forge while giving more adept users a real chance to make a map that could stand with the professionals in matchmaking. Dare to dream...

Do you kind of mean like having Basic Forge and Advanced Forge? Wasn't there something like that in Reach or did it just not change much?

What I'd do is: give the editor a BTB/Invasion/Mini game approach snd keep releasing 4v4 and arena like maps via DLC.

I'll get into further detail but the new editor should get these points right.
-Terrain editor.
-Accurated day time changes.
-DLC support (including new pieces and features).
-Scripted events (Invasion phantoms moving and exploding, gates...).

JuanGGZ

Banned
You will never have something like the Far Cry 2 Map Editor in Halo (console game) because Microsoft (and 343 Industries) won't be able to sell DLC (maps) anymore, 'cause players could recreate themself those DLC.

They could sell textures and objects DLC, but it wont work, and they know.

Karl2177

Release the editor as a DLC. You can play the maps, but in order to edit geometry, you have to pay for it. Purchase Limited/Legendary edition and you get the code in your package. Now you've boosted sales for Limited and Legendary as well as making users of the standard buy a code if they want to actually edit the geometry. Standard users will still be able to do the basics of Forge like moving weapons, equipment, and spawns.

Trey

Okay, I see what you mean. I think my point came across though.

I too don't think cooking grenades would be viable in Halo. I can't imagine it.

The GL is a great compromise and I agree with the general sentiment to bring it, or its function as a weapon, back in H4.

I too don't think cooking grenades would be viable in Halo. I can't imagine it.

The GL is a great compromise and I agree with the general sentiment to bring it, or its function as a weapon, back in H4.

Agreed, the grenade launcher is a power weapon so there are only one or two people walking around with one at a given time while everyone spawns with 2 grenades.

Do you kind of mean like having Basic Forge and Advanced Forge? Wasn't there something like that in Reach or did it just not change much?
That's pretty much what I mean. Basic Forge is only allowed for the shipping maps (please gods, no more Forged maps passed off as a shipping map), Advanced Forge for actually creating maps.

You will never have something like the Far Cry 2 Map Editor in Halo (console game) because Microsoft (and 343 Industries) won't be able to sell DLC (maps) anymore, 'cause players could recreate themself those DLC.

It's foolish to think that people won't buy brand new, professionally made maps. What the community would add is longevity and variety in between DLC ships. As StalkerUKCG already said, you could only add to potential DLC items with different textures and skins for the editor.

Isn't 343 all for what the fans want?

If they show us MEGA BLOKS 2.0 people will start asking themselves what 343 has been doing for the past three years.

Isn't 343 all for what the fans want?

If they show us MEGA BLOKS 2.0 people will start asking themselves what 343 has been doing for the past three years.

Yeah maybe the people who expect miracles.

To be honest im not expecting more than a mega blocks mode. Far Cry 2 had a fantastic map editor, but look at the rest of the game, it sucked. 343 need to make the core of the gameplay good before they can focus on the extra fringe stuff like a fully blown map editor. I would assume that the resources and planning to intergrate the Far Cry editor meant that the rest of the game suffered.

I just cant think of a time where I have ever played a forge map in matchmaking that I have enjoyed. Its a good mode to mess around in and its a fantastic mode for what it does for customs. But the bread and butter of Halo 4 would be better off without investing heavily into it.

That's pretty much what I mean. Basic Forge is only allowed for the shipping maps (please gods, no more Forged maps passed off as a shipping map), Advanced Forge for actually creating maps.

It's foolish to think that people won't buy brand new, professionally made maps. What the community would add is longevity and variety in between DLC ships. As StalkerUKCG already said, you could only add to potential DLC items with different textures and skins for the editor.

This cannot be stressed more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom