• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homeboyd

Release the editor as a DLC. You can play the maps, but in order to edit geometry, you have to pay for it. Purchase Limited/Legendary edition and you get the code in your package. Now you've boosted sales for Limited and Legendary as well as making users of the standard buy a code if they want to actually edit the geometry. Standard users will still be able to do the basics of Forge like moving weapons, equipment, and spawns.
LISTEN TO THIS MAN.

The "advanced" component of Forge should be a standalone product. Those who aren't interested can pass it up and benefit from the talented guys who are churning out the maps but concede the ability to make their own advanced geometrical edits. I always thought a PC editor would be best but even a separate DLC package would be ok. Advanced forge owners would be able to share/download and edit other AF maps while non-AF owners could only access them in customs (have the base canvases written into the original game) or wait til they made it to MM. I see this as having huge sales potential and it allows the consumer to decide how involved you want to be in the map making process.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I like that idea.

Also, Legendary edition better have something amazing. YOU HEAR ME FRANKIE? :p

I love my cat helmet, give me a full replica Battle rifle or something.

If they release a map creator they need to go all out and release it as a free download on PC that you can upload to some kind of file share type thing like Reach has so you can get them through the game. But since this is very unlikely I'd just prefer a more aggressive release schedule with DLC, or at least more maps per pack.

I like that idea.

Also, Legendary edition better have something amazing. YOU HEAR ME FRANKIE? :p

I love my cat helmet, give me a full replica Pro-Pipe or something.
fixed, and hell yes. I have too many statues, and didn't really like Reach's all that much anyway. Give me something that will scare the shit out of the neighborhood kids, please.

So you people want H4 to launch with a pretty average/sucky map maker? I think we can expect more from a high profit title like is MOTHERFUCKING HALO!

Karl2177

So you people want H4 to launch with a pretty average/sucky map maker? I think we can expect more from a high profit tittle like is MOTHERFUCKING HALO!

The average end-user isn't going to care too much about Forge in the first place. This is also a business end perspective. How can we get money from a customer? Keep an optional part of the experience as a paid expansion.

EDIT: Also, I like tittles.

Homeboyd

So you people want H4 to launch with a pretty average/sucky map maker? I think we can expect more from a high profit tittle like is MOTHERFUCKING HALO!
I, of course, do not.. But if the concern of people not wanting to buy DLC as a result of this being implemented is legitmate (not saying it is since we don't know), we have provided solutions.

I dont want it to release with a average/sucky map maker, but if I was a project manager on the 343 team I could live with shipping a sucky map editor, I absolutely couldnt live with shipping a game that had a fantastic map editor which no one used because the gameplay was poor.

I mean what would you do? You have a team of programmers, testers and artists, do you put them to work on a map editor or do you put them to work on the core components of the game?

Again im not saying that I want the game to ship with a crappy map editor. Im just saying that your expecting a lot if you think its going to have an amazing map editor. Theres a big difference. Its pretty difficult to do practicality wise but your posts make it seem like its so straightforward it has to happen. Im just saying in software development theres a lot of push and shove and theres no way everything can be great. Priority wise its probably one of the lowest priority features tbh. (at least it would be for me)

I dont want it to release with a average/sucky map maker, but if I was a project manager on the 343 team I could live with shipping a sucky map editor, I absolutely couldnt live with shipping a game that had a fantastic map editor which no one used because the gameplay was poor.

I mean what would you do? You have a team of programmers, testers and artists, do you put them to work on a map editor or do you put them to work on the core components of the game?

Both wrong, you put them to work on the next iteration of armor lock.

I don't exactly expect a Map editor, but I imagine Forge 3.0 may back more of a punch than some will expect. Hell, maybe have large terrain pieces that don't cost much budget wise.. Allow us to customize gravity setting per individual area, more lighting options, more ways to manipulate object shape... Texture pallet to choose from would be nice, as would skyboxes as to keep the look interesting.

Forge maps will always be treated as "second rate maps". Therefore 343i should focus on the disc maps instead creating a whole map editor. Don't give me the shit that Forge maps will be treated as "second rate maps" due to the current usability of the forge editor.

Kibbles

A PC editor allowing you to import your own 3d models is not going to happen. I'd expect something more akin to Far Cry's map editor.

Forge maps will always be treated as "second rate maps". Therefore 343i should focus on the disc maps instead creating a whole map editor. Don't give me the shit that Forge maps will be treated as "second rate maps" due to usability of the current forge editor.

I honestly think Forge as it is is great. Customs and forge games are a lot of fun but I just hope we dont get forge maps rammed down our thoughts in matchmaking. With Reach it was almost as if Bungie decided not to bother with map creation, because they can throw in a patchwork of forge maps to make the playlists better down the line.

That approach sucks, theres nothing worse than having the same grey art direction map after map and theres nothing worse than constantly playing maps you dont know when you just want a few games online.

Both wrong, you put them to work on the next iteration of armor lock.

Haha, I can imagine Frankie getting the entire team together and just trolling by asking them to put in more bloom and make armour lock last longer.

FyreWulff

I honestly think Forge as it is is great. Customs and forge games are a lot of fun but I just hope we dont get forge maps rammed down our thoughts in matchmaking. With Reach it was almost as if Bungie decided not to bother with map creation, because they can throw in a patchwork of forge maps to make the playlists better down the line.

I think it had more to do with them only being able to make one map pack for the game

ps checking out gotham city impostors for the first time since the beta. First game in a while were the XBLA release wasn't just the beta download.

Again im not saying that I want the game to ship with a crappy map editor. Im just saying that your expecting a lot if you think its going to have an amazing map editor. Theres a big difference. Its pretty difficult to do practicality wise but your posts make it seem like its so straightforward it has to happen. Im just saying in software development theres a lot of push and shove and theres no way everything can be great. Priority wise its probably one of the lowest priority features tbh. (at least it would be for me)

We're talking about a big team of competent people, they're developing an AAA game, it's damn Halo 4!

If you think it would be too hard for them to achieve such a thing there're some lazy routes they can follow which won't fuck up the whole experience.
One of these is ussing campaign assets and implement them into the editor. I'm talking about trees, bushes, rocks, buildings...

I think it had more to do with them only being able to make one map pack for the game

That also doesnt sit right with me. After spending full price on the game I should be getting a solid base game. Not a base game with poor map selection because it can be bumped up later as paid dlc.

The average end-user isn't going to care too much about Forge in the first place. This is also a business end perspective. How can we get money from a customer? Keep an optional part of the experience as a paid expansion.

EDIT: Also, I like tittles.

This is a really good point. Also remember a map editor means less maps that get into matchmaking and ut really complicates the process of things. How do you classify them? store them? From a design perspective its not a good plan...

FyreWulff

This is a really good point. Also remember a map editor means less maps that get into matchmaking and ut really complicates the process of things. How do you classify them? store them? From a design perspective its not a good plan...

If they go the PC editor route, I'd use XNA. All XNA maps would be under a separate map header on the top level called "Custom", then you could branch down to the maps, then to variants of those maps. If the FC editor route, I'd just have them sort after the 'developer' maps in the map list.

That approach sucks, theres nothing worse than having the same grey art direction map after map and theres nothing worse than constantly playing maps you dont know when you just want a few games .

I saw a vid where they recreated lots of H2 naps on Farcry, it had Headlong, Zanzibar, Ascension... I also saw COLORS!

feel

Please, at launch just a simple map editor to move weapons, spawns and little objects around like on Halo 3 launch. Give me a set of great colorful maps to play and keep the little big planet shit as optional DLC with it's own playlist. Halfassed ForgeWorld/Sandbox stuff across the entire matchmaking experience makes me want to stab myself.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
My rule is, if your map editor isn't better than what was present in Timesplitters 2 ten years ago, then don't bother.

So no Forge for Halo 4.

If the future of Halo matchmaking is left up to a democratic process I have no hope for the future of matchmaking. People really vote for vanilla Reach with AR starts on a Forge World map over TU DMRs on Reflection.

343 should focus on dynamic lighting so you dont need to bake in shadow and keep forge files small. I could be wrong about the forge file size.

If the future of Halo matchmaking is left up to a democratic process I have no hope for the future of matchmaking. People really vote for vanilla Reach with AR starts on a Forge World map over TU DMRs on Reflection.
When the choice is between all or nothing, people have to take a stand. It's more political than just voting for ARs or DMRs.

If they go the PC editor route, I'd use XNA. All XNA maps would be under a separate map header on the top level called "Custom", then you could branch down to the maps, then to variants of those maps. If the FC editor route, I'd just have them sort after the 'developer' maps in the map list.

Good luck marketing that lol. The game should be all on the xbox

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
My gaming side thread for the contest needs some loving. This guy is catching up, I just need to outlast him. About 2 hours left!! Ahhhhhhhh

CyReN

My gaming side thread for the contest needs some loving. This guy is catching up, I just need to outlast him. About 2 hours left!! Ahhhhhhhh

I can only imagine your next few hours..
2074yu4sw2.gif

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I can only imagine your next few hours..
2074yu4sw2.gif

I can't see the gif but im sure it's hilarious lol. And yea I just wanna win this thing already. It's stressing me out more than I should let it but now I just wanna beat this other guy. Lol

Edit: damn hes only 11votes behind now. At this rate he's gonna beat me. Fuck

The minute that Forge impacts what and how many maps come on the disc it can honestly get out.

Bungie looked at Forge as the future of maps in the game and not just a map editor for Reach and we got the smallest and worst set of MP maps in a Halo game. And now even so, several MM playlists are plagued by forged maps that are almost all terrible.

Personally, as long as we are on the 360, and Halo 4 is using a similar/parts of Bungie Halo engine, I don't see Forge being some magic tool until we hit Halo 5 on the next console. Sure it will have improvements over the Reach one, but I'm sure it will still share most of the limitations.

I can't see the gif but im sure it's hilarious lol. And yea I just wanna win this thing already. It's stressing me out more than I should let it but now I just wanna beat this other guy. Lol

Edit: damn hes only 11votes behind now. At this rate he's gonna beat me. Fuck

I already voted for you, but you might ask Ellis and the Fronkeur if they might spread the word in their social circles.

Edit: you should also post the link again for late-arrivers.

Note to Juniors: You should vote for Tashi. A vote for him will immediately increase your standing in the HaloGAF community.

For anyone who watches twitch.tv streams:

The recent PS3 firmware update upgraded the web-browser so you can watch twitch on the big screen now without hooking up your PC!

Louis Wu

Whatever he just did made a huge difference; he was up by 7 votes when I started this post, and by 16 votes when I finished it. :(

He's still up by 16 (though Tashi has gained a couple in the last couple of mins).

Edit: lol - now 11 votes. C'MON, TASHI!

Whatever he just did made a huge difference; he was up by 7 votes when I started this post, and by 16 votes when I finished it. :(

He's still up by 16 (though Tashi has gained a couple in the last couple of mins).

Edit: lol - now 11 votes. C'MON, TASHI!

Voted and helped spread the word. Good luck! 8 votes and counting!

Homeboyd

Posted at B.net (private group). You should post in the flood.. Although you're probably more likely to get asshats vote against you for asking for help there.

:|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom