• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramirez

Thanks for the updates, Frankie. That was some excellent word-mincing. I miss your updates... and your Mister Chiefses. This is still the best (sadly, the only) work of art anyone has ever drawn for me:

<3

Voc gave me and Blood a copy of that at PAX and I didn't think to get a single person to sign it...I blame McDonald's. :(

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
What do they want now?

Ok we're here with David Ellis of 343 Studios
Industries
What?
Industr..nothing
Uhhh ok, thanks for interrupting
Like I was saying, thanks for joining us
Sure thing!
Ok, now from what I understand Halo 4 is going to be geared for the MLG crowd, can you tell us how?
Umm well we haven't announced anything other than the game itself. I'm not exactly sure where you heard these things
Ok well let's just say I have reliable sources with in Bungie and MLG
Ughhhhh

Him on the show.

Aye, like that'll happen.

I understand their desires, but what do they honestly think would happen anyways? I assume they'd want to talk Halo 4, and not only can he or anyone else not talk about it yet, but pretty much all of the features are probably already set in stone for what's going to be in the game or not already. A minority community is not going to be able to make changes to a game that no one has seen a single frame of.

Industries
What?
Industr..nothing
Sure thing!
Ok, now from what I understand Halo 4 is going to be geared for the MLG crowd, can you tell us how?
Umm well we haven't announced anything other than the game itself. I'm not exactly sure where you heard these things
Ughhhhh

Lol.

But seriously, that's what would happen.

Halo 4 is going to be what its going to be, and it will be 343's vision. Hopefully MLG will like the game, but its out of their hands.

CyReN

I don't agree with it either, the way about going at it comes off as tacky. Why should he have to drop what he does for you. You drop what you're doing for the guest.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Industries
What?
Industr..nothing
Sure thing!
Ughhhhh

flWZI.gif

Overdoziz

Banned
First Halo 4 news to be revealed during The Halo Council confirmed.

There is nothing wrong with discussing various ways a game can be competitive.
I certainly don't agree with lots of the majority of MLG's beliefs.
I don't think "BR, no bloom, no armor abilities" is necessarily the key to a good Halo game.
I would love Halo to mature. Halo's gameplay was designed to accomodate 10 year old tech, and it has hardly evolved since Combat Evolved.

But I do think that it is good for a game to be competitive.
That is the whole purpose of a game, right? To win and have fun.
Competitive doesn't have to be hardcore, it can be fun.
And who better to give suggestions than those who play it competitively?

Of course it is the developers vision, and I hope they do great things with multiplayer.
But it can't hurt to have a mature discussion over the positives and negatives of past Halo games.
This reads like a poem.

Booooooooo

I don't think "BR, no bloom, no armor abilities" is necessarily the key to a good Halo game.
I would love Halo to mature. Halo's gameplay was designed to accomodate 10 year old tech, and it has hardly evolved since Combat Evolved.

Of course it is the developers vision, and I hope they do great things with multiplayer.
But it can't hurt to have a mature discussion over the positives and negatives of past Halo games.

Haha touche

Point still stands even if David was to go on the show though. What do they expect him to say? He can't talk about Halo 4.

Who says it has to be anytime soon? I would love for them to wait until after Multiplayer is revealed.
I assume if anything is talked about at this thing on the 29th that it is going to be Multiplayer.
Frankie said in the OHI that the Multiplayer has been running for a long time.
So it is probably the most polished out of all the content. Plus, nobody wants details from the campaign, we want to be shocked!

Who says it has to be anytime soon? I would love for them to wait until after Multiplayer is revealed.
I assume if anything is talked about at this thing on the 29th that it is going to be Multiplayer.
Frankie said in the OHI that the Multiplayer has been running for a long time.
So it is probably the most polished out of all the content. Plus, nobody wants details from the campaign, we want to be shocked!

howdareyouvpzcl.gif

Why fix what aint broke?

I don't think it would be smart to go on the show and talk about what he thinks is competitive/fun/hardcore/etc because he does not reflect 343 as a whole (and he's not a designer) and no matter how many times he could say that, people would still take whatever he says as 343's official word on things and infer things in ways there weren't meant to be conveyed..

For the record, I personally think that one of the first things that a developer does is design the core mechanics to be competitive, and by that I don't mean hardcore, I mean that the mechanics ensure that the better team/player will win based on playing better, and that those mechanics hold true with the scrubiest of scrubs and at the highest level of play.

Fair enough on timing, I wouldn't mind hearing that discussion when it can actually happen.

howdareyouvpzcl.gif

Why fix what aint broke?

Because it is broken.
Halo 3 consistently battled with Call of Duty for the top spot on Xbox Live Chart.

Halo Reach has consistently been behind 3 Call of Duty titles since its release.
It wasn't even in the Top 5 for a very long time.
That is absolutely pathetic for the Xbox's biggest exclusive.

If this is a 'Halo should be more like CoD' Discussion I might have to injure myself.

The reason people like CoD is because it's easy. Simple as that. Halo is a better game where it actually takes map control, good decision making, teamwork, and an overall good shot to get kills and win games.

Not trying to hate on CoD <3

Redford

aka Cabbie
Because it is broken.
Halo 3 consistently battled with Call of Duty for the top spot on Xbox Live Chart.

Halo Reach has consistently been behind 3 Call of Duty titles since its release.
It wasn't even in the Top 5 for a very long time.
That is absolutely pathetic for the Xbox's biggest exclusive.

I agree with Reach not living up to expectations, but to compare it to the CoD series as it is today has never been a solid argument. We'll probably never see that dynamic again.

If this is a 'Halo should be more like CoD' Discussion I might have to injure myself.

The reason people like CoD is because it's easy. Simple as that. Halo is a better game where it actually takes map control, good decision making, teamwork, and an overall good shot to get kills and win games.

Not trying to hate on CoD <3

I don't think CoD is really easier, it's just not as deep as Halo if that makes any sense. I'm super tired so I am struggling to properly express my thoughts at the moment haha.

Trey

CoD is popular for many reasons. Let's not wish for Halo to emulate the poorer ones. I'd rather a deep and fulfilling game with a modest but healthy population to a shallow but largely populated one.

CoD is all about map control and maneuvering around the map. Shooting skill has very little to do with it. Halo on the other hand is about map control, shooting skill, strafing, grenade placement, power weapon control and more. Becuase CoD is simple, its popular.

Ramirez

CoD is all about map control and maneuvering around the map. Shooting skill has very little to do with it. Halo on the other hand is about map control, shooting skill, strafing, grenade placement, power weapon control and more. Becuase CoD is simple, its popular.

CoD is about map control? If by map control, you mean spawning behind the enemy constantly, then yea.

Booshka

Call of Duty 4v4....lol! I can only imagine the camping that goes on in that shitfest.

You should watch some competitive CoD, you'd be surprised.

I guess if you watch Search and Destroy matches you will see camping, but that happens in any FPS with only 1 life per round, the other game modes are very fast paced.

That's hot.

And it's kinda crazy that I of all people still haven't ordered that book.

*opens Amazon app*
I'd recommend you to order the Encyclopedia instead of the Visual Guide.

Voc gave me and Blood a copy of that at PAX and I didn't think to get a single person to sign it...I blame McDonald's. :(
I haven't gotten any signs at PAXprime too. (Okay, Joseph Staten, Urk, Marty etc signed one of my Grunt plushies) Still I had the perfect opportunities! And I didn't even ask for a hoodie at PAX.

Frankie's way with words is wonderful. He, and Ellis, would have come from journalism backgrounds right? Really shines through if that is the case. Hitmonchan is on that path it seems which is pretty sweet too.

I really got to meet 343 or Bungie at some point. Being stuck on this island sucks as I can't help but feel more disconnected from Europe/UK. PAX would no doubt be an awesome experience.

Gah, my love of Halo and the community attached to it was caught off guard by that bulletin... Hype get.
Come to GamesCom this year and we shall drink a lot of beer. (offer is open for everyone who is older than 18.)

that host was seriously some of the worst bullshit ever. goddamn. three fucking snipe bullets into a guy and they don't even register, just blood coming out of his head.

This is the Frankie I have missed! Seriously, with the Bungie bulletins he managed to give a whole lot of information on the state of the game without revealing anything. If he was doing the updates on a weekly basis for Halo 4 im sure we wouldnt feel as starved for info. Please make a short Frankie paragraph a regular fixture! I am so hyped hearing about the mass information dump they have been laying on marketing people lol, cant wait till thats distilled into awesome trailers and comes our way.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Lttp but that Frankie piece got me hyped, Halo 4 will be something BIG.

I have to say, between that update by Frankie and the fixes being implemented in Reach, I'm really getting hyped for Halo 4. When I play Reach, I feel that Bungie took a "screw it, this is our last halo, let's just get this done" approach with certain elements, and then didn't make any changes even with the fanbase pleading for them. Then 343 stepped in, and Reach is leagues ahead of what it was in August (I believe that's when the switch happened). They're actually listening to us, something a lot of devs just don't do anymore. I really respect that.

Something I'd like for Halo 4 theatre mode is the ability to make a film clip from an existing film (that has already been segmented). Just tryed to record a different angle from one of my clips and you can't apparently.

On that note, is there any way around the 'Clip was created offline so cannot be uploaded' issue? The clip I created was made online so it's a glitch anyway...

FyreWulff

Something I'd like for Halo 4 theatre mode is the ability to make a film clip from an existing film (that has already been segmented). Just tryed to record a different angle from one of my clips and you can't apparently.

On that note, is there any way around the 'Clip was created offline so cannot be uploaded' issue? The clip I created was made online so it's a glitch anyway...

Unfortunately you just have to create it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom