• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibilities are kind of huge, but to dream is nice.
-Set on some facility that is used to carve out a planet etc
-I do like Stalker's FUD idea, that whale ~= FUD Carcass.

Well, thinking of whale bones for some reason made me think of an elephant graveyard. So, after that, I thought of a map set by the shore littered with huge aquatic alien bones.

Basically this-

ElephantGraveyard2.png

blue-whale-skeleton-antarctica-photo-25604-782059.jpg

bonepileplus-1.jpg

We need to see something from Halo 4 soon.

I think Tunavi wants to play with me but I played ME1. I'll be back online in a few minutes, finish the Aliens quest of ME1 and then I'll play Halo. Who's with me?

He sure does!
He sent me a voice message. Maybe it was a CS invite? Damn it. Why am I too shy to listen to a voice message asap?! Argh!

July 2nd, I expect best wishes, a devo xbl pic message and a surprise

Two fish in a tank. One says to the other; "You man the guns, I'll drive!"

Scrimshaw is striking me as something Covenant. Maybe a huge combat hall adorned with battle trophies, various plasma swords (stored in containers and the like) similar to the training grounds in the Halo Graphic Novel?

Also, had an idea today: Halo 4 ODST. Similar to the whole retroactive, "called-3-but-took-place-in-2" thing the first had going on, it'd take place in the same general New Mombasa area...

after the Flood arrive.

It would be similar to Left 4 Dead meets Dead Space, but with obviously less dismemberment/etc. You'd be making your way throughout the city and retain that feeling of frailty of the first ODST game, but with the consequences being much bigger this time. Maybe throw in some new Halo 4/Halo Wars flood forms (an optional mission could involve taking out a certain number of Flood Bombers, which would replace the Phantom as the role of "destroy this gigantic flying thing before it can dispatch more units." Have cutscenes show snipers getting torn to shreds by Ranged forms and Flood Swarms, maybe throw in an homage to CE by making a later mission involve taking out a Proto-Gravemind (Keyes Blob). Then the final mission can have a similar premise as the first; basically, Coastal Highway meets Quarantine Zone. You're faced with a three-way battle of Covenant stragglers, Flood now driving vehicles, and your own new squad, ultimately waiting for a Pelican to come in so you can get out of the area before the Shadow of Intent starts glassing everything. What would you guys think about something like that?

Scrimshaw is striking me as something Covenant. Maybe a huge combat hall adorned with battle trophies, various plasma swords (stored in containers and the like) similar to the training grounds in the Halo Graphic Novel?

Also, had an idea today: Halo 4 ODST. Similar to the whole retroactive, "called-3-but-took-place-in-2" thing the first had going on, it'd take place in the same general New Mombasa area...

after the Flood arrive.

It would be similar to Left 4 Dead meets Dead Space, but with obviously less dismemberment/etc. You'd be making your way throughout the city and retain that feeling of frailty of the first ODST game, but with the consequences being much bigger this time. Maybe throw in some new Halo 4/Halo Wars flood forms (an optional mission could involve taking out a certain number of Flood Bombers, which would replace the Phantom as the role of "destroy this gigantic flying thing before it can dispatch more units." Have cutscenes show snipers getting torn to shreds by Ranged forms and Flood Swarms, maybe throw in an homage to CE by making a later mission involve taking out a Proto-Gravemind (Keyes Blob). Then the final mission can have a similar premise as the first; basically, Coastal Highway meets Quarantine Zone. You're faced with a three-way battle of Covenant stragglers, Flood now driving vehicles, and your own new squad, ultimately waiting for a Pelican to come in so you can get out of the area before the Shadow of Intent starts glassing everything. What would you guys think about something like that?

Buck's Squad really interested me id like to see more of them. ODST 2 would be a nice break from the series perhaps between Halo 5 and 6

Wow, only 5 hours huh? I was getting ready to ask for it as a birthday present, glad I read that. :p

Unfortunately, yes. However, a very consistent and fun 5 hours, absolutely get it when you find it cheap. Sadly, I do think it's gonna fly under the radar for a lot of people.

Also the VO is incredible, Mike Patton FTW. Hire this guy Frankie!

ProXimity

Banned
Somehow I doubt Frankie and crew would let "feel the weight" be the same philosophy as Killzone 2's controls. 343 knows how Halo games control. They own every line of engine code.

True, but Bungie "[knew] how Halo games control. They own[ed] every line of engine code." And they still made Reach.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I don't understand this "weight" with halo people keep talking about.

If anything the heavier something should be the lighter it actually is in Halo, shit's unreal.

I don't understand this "weight" with halo people keep talking about.

If anything the heavier something should be the lighter it actually is in Halo, shit's unreal.

What dont you get? Halo has specific weight that people really liked, reach screwed with that weight. Weight is a combination of alot of elements. Player Acceleration, Speed, Jump hight ect. Reach feels to me like a much more a weighted and heavy experience more akin to call of duty that previous halo titles. Its not nice

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
What dont you get? Halo has specific weight that people really liked, reach screwed with that weight. Weight is a combination of alot of elements. Player Acceleration, Speed, Jump hight ect. Reach feels to me like a much more a weighted and heavy experience more akin to call of duty that previous halo titles. Its not nice

To me there was no weight. You had a tank of a human who either floated when he jumped or couldn't jump high enough. Giant vehicles that flip at a stiff breeze, and inconsistent player movement game to game.

There is no "weight" that I can see in the game at all. Just odd use of player controls and choice of use in the "physics," which could be used for fun. But "weight" isn't how I would put it.

When I think of "weight" I think of games like Gears, Killzone, or the old Mechwarrior games.

You should "feel heavy" if you're referring to "weight" in a game, that's not the case at all in Halo.

zap

To me there was no weight. You had a tank of a human who either floated when he jumped or couldn't jump high enough. Giant vehicles that flip at a stiff breeze, and inconsistent player movement game to game.

There is no "weight" that I can see in the game at all. Just odd use of player controls and choice of use in the "physics," which could be used for fun. But "weight" isn't how I would put it.

When I think of "weight" I think of games like Gears, Killzone, or the old Mechwarrior games.

You should "feel" heavy if you're referring to "weight" in a game, that's not the case at all in Halo.

It's the inertia which doesn't let us turn on a dime anymore that is what he means by weight. In all fiction the Spartans are meant to be extremely agile with their suits of mjolnir armour, but in Reach it feels a bit like walking in mud.

What we want is the ability to strafe properly again and change directions quickly.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
It's the inertia which doesn't let us turn on a dime anymore that is what he means by weight. In all fiction the Spartans are meant to be extremely agile with their suits of mjolnir armour, but in Reach it feels a bit like walking in mud.

What we want is the ability to strafe properly again and change directions quickly.

Again, I wouldn't call that weight, I would call it poor design.

Again, I wouldn't call that weight, I would call it poor design.

I think its more of a case of your scope of "weight" being too small, Your assuming (what i assume from you examples) that when we say weight we mean heaviness and thats not the case. In this case weight is what could be classed as "lightness" in reach the spartans feel to heavy, Acceleration on movement speeds and jump height cause this feeling and people want a return to Halo 2/3 style rather than what reach has.

It made sense in fiction, Spartans 3's are said to be a shadow of a Spartan 2 and the player's "abilities" reflect this to no end.

Played a game on Pinnacle. Everyone used jetpacks and Assault rifle. :( No DMR or NR on the map. I could puke.

Edit: I couldn't join your game, Blueblur. It kicked me out of the waiting list asap. Going to be back online later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom