• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
sooo bad that this was released. sooo bad that it hasnt been fixed. is it feasible to fix dlc maps?

I dunno but I'll ask Fyrewulf again

In your position as a community cartographer, why don't you re-work the spawns on Prisoner? Instead of plowing time into the almost non-existant demand for Heavies? I'm serious, you seem to have quite a thorough knowledge of the spawn system and any improvement to the spawns on that map would be gratefully welcomed by the players of Reach. Can you not submit a revised version in your capacity as a cc?

I totally missed the whole Timedog/Devo thing, just a reference here or there. Was there a specific thread where this love blossomed?

If I had to point to the thread that initiated our contact it would be this stephen king one in which we collaborated on this. Then I goaded Timedog into buying Reach while he was drunk and well you saw some of those antics. So there's one good thing that came out of that POS game =). Eventually there was late night into early morning Xbox Live chattin'. I think it came out of nowhere because it was assumed we were merely trolling and the possibility of such a thing couldn't possibly be genuine.

First BTB game in a long time tonight.

I admit I was dismayed when I read that the Cartographers were working on BTB Heavies. My first thought was, I sure they polished up regular BTB before moving onto Heavies. But it's still a complete mess, and not fun at all. (It didn't help that by the end of the game, it was 4 v 6, and what was left of my team was still fighting each other.)

I hope that with Halo 4, the playlist management is much more detailed. Just really zero in on each playlist and polish them to a shine. Reach got off to a terrible start with the launch playlists and it's been all cleanup from there, and 343's focus and resources have gone to creating the TU and Anniversary game types, maps and playlists. Now BTB Heavies is coming along, while BTB is still in poor shape.

This is not a comment on the quality of what I played of the Heavies stuff, but rather a lament that longstanding problems in matchmaking are still out there as new content is developed.

Also, Firefight. :(

The biggest issue seems to be that they don't spend much time on playlist management before the game comes out. I know that isn't as easy as you might think because the game is a moving bar while in development, but they have to find a way to do it, and ship the game with decent playlists.

Playlist management has literally been fighting an uphill battle since release to get the playists decent.

I thought Jeremiah making it more flag/assault and reducing so many of those slayer variants made it a huge step in the right direction. He also removed Countdown which had zero sense in being in a BTB playlist. Adding the forge variants were a better thing, despite half them being out-right garbage. A solution to that is adding good ones, not terrible maps like Renegade.

Ever since it's been all downhill. They made it so Slayer is often showing up. They included in Stockpile so it takes less chance for something like Multi-CTF to show up, and made it so Spire and Boneyard ALWAYS show up. Plus they still have not removed Paradiso - same ol' story they've always done. Make needed changes to a map, ala Pit to Pit Stop, Snowbound to Boundless, The Cage to Uncaged, yet they keep the default map variant in regardless. I don't get it. I'm not expecting much change anytime soon here, unfortunately.

Such a shame that 343 has reversed the good things that Jeremiah did with the BTB playlist. Now its unplayable. 100% slayer on Boneyard and Spire.

Queued the SSX demo. Not sure if I'll be able to play it today though.

That was an, ehhh, accident :p

Don't you laugh Mr. Country filled with ballerinas masquerading as football players!

:p

Patada_de_Nigel__De_Jong_a_Xabi_Alonso_ps3_fifa_fighter.jpg

:p

Homeboyd

I dunno but I'll ask Fyrewulf again
We work on what we're asked to work on. We're not really in a place to do anything other than suggest changes/improvements for existing maps. Frankie even said he liked the craziness of the spawns on Prisoner (somewhere in the last OT) and the MM sustain team may feel the same way.

Our role has been to bring some of the better community maps to light in times of need (even though most of you will say we haven't done a great job here). We don't control what playlists are updated or when, and we certainly don't have final say in anything we do or recommend. We make suggestions as needed but that really isn't our role. If 343 wishes assign that to us, I'd be more than happy to help where I can.

Juices is my spiritual advisor not my lover.

I'm sure Devo said the same thing about Timedog, at first.

-------
Microsoft needs to capitalize on the overwhelming success of the Trueskill™ system and use it to create a dating service.

Just input your relationship preferences and K/D - the system finds your optimal partner based on compatibility, skill, and location (i.e. connection speed/ping).

Foolproof plan. Charge $60/year and watch eHarmony's profits plummet.

Karl2177

We work on what we're asked to work on. We're not really in a place to do anything other than suggest changes/improvements for existing maps. Frankie even said he liked the craziness of the spawns on Prisoner (somewhere in the last OT) and the MM sustain team may feel the same way.

Our role has been to bring some of the better community maps to light in times of need (even though most of you will say we haven't done a great job here). We don't control what playlists are updated or when, and we certainly don't have final say in anything we do or recommend. We make suggestions as needed but that really isn't our role. If 343 wishes assign that to us, I'd be more than happy to help where I can.

Then the MM sustain team needs to be reevaluated for the current lack of common sense.

Booshka

Most of the spawning in Halo CE was broken, except for that it was perfect for 2v2. The problem with Prisoner in Reach is that it's FFA, it only played well in 2v2 or 1v1 in CE. FFA or 4v4 was just as messy and crazy in CE. The remade maps are just emulating the same spawn system that was in CE. In general Halo CE was perfect for 2v2, but most of the maps don't work too well for 4v4 or 8 player FFA. Of course you can still play large player count games on Blood Gulch and Sidewinder, but anything over 4 players on most other maps is madness.

Miggytronz

If I had to point to the thread that initiated our contact it would be this stephen king one in which we collaborated on this. Then I goaded Timedog into buying Reach while he was drunk and well you saw some of those antics. So there's one good thing that came out of that POS game =). Eventually there was late night into early morning Xbox Live chattin'. I think it came out of nowhere because it was assumed we were merely trolling and the possibility of such a thing couldn't possibly be genuine.

Thats fucking Awesome Devo!

I met my wife at a Halo LAN party so as we say, "you had me at HALO".

GhaleonEB

Very cool. Glad to see it work out. <3

You both use the floating hearts armor effect when playing together, right?

Overdoziz

Banned
I love Battle Canyon.

I love how people can grab a Shotgun in their own fucking base.
I love how small the corridors are which makes previously mentioned Shotgun even more effective.
I love how even though there's already two close quarter power weapons on the map they decided it would be a good idea to add a Sword.
I love how Evade makes all previously mentioned things ten times worse.
I love how they thought having 7 power weapons on a map for 8 players would be a good idea.

Fuck the people who are responsible for this piece of shit.

Don't forget Jetpack!
Jetpack isn't in Team Objective.

Tawpgun

I love Battle Canyon.

I love how small the corridors are which makes previously mentioned Shotgun even more effective.
I love how even though there's already two close quarter power weapons on the map they decided it would be a good idea to add a Sword.
I love how they thought having 7 power weapons on a map for 8 players would be a good idea.

dat certain affinity.

Remember Highlands?

Hopefully 343's MP designers have a little more common sense.

GhaleonEB

I love Battle Canyon.

dat certain affinity.

Remember Highlands?

Hopefully 343's MP designers have a little more common sense.
My initial, cynical reaction to BTB Heavies was, 'and we're to distinguish that from Highlands how?'

I remember back when HaloGAF was testing our own Sandbox Forge variants in Halo 3, when I was working on Entrenched. It took a lot of tinkering to get playing well, and one of the last rounds of updates was a major pull-back on the heavy weapons available on the map. (At EazyB's suggestion.) The map instantly played a lot better. It was a big lesson for me in how delicate the balance in the combat sandbox was, and how tossing even a little too much onto the maps can throw it out of whack. It was the difference between a bad map and a fun one. It's cliche, but less really was more. I've tried to apply that same kind of restraint to all the maps I've worked on.

I wish that lesson would sink in at CA and 343. I want to play in the Anniversary playlists, but even reading the descritions of the stuff that is on those maps keeps me out. Battle Canyon looks like a great map, with a horrible set up.

I love Battle Canyon.

Jetpack isn't in Team Objective.

Let the hate flow through you!

Totally agree with your points though. It's a bit silly considering the legacy Beaver Creek has for being such a competitve map.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I wish that lesson would sink in at CA and 343. I want to play in the Anniversary playlists, but even reading the descritions of the stuff that is on those maps keeps me out. Battle Canyon looks like a great map, with a horrible set up.

That's my problem with Anniversary. The maps are great, it's just that the weapon placement makes absolutely no sense to me. Though even with the flaws, it's quite fun when it all works.
Also, random question: Why am I getting Team Snipers every other game in the Anniversary playlists?

My initial, cynical reaction to BTB Heavies was, 'and we're to distinguish that from Highlands how?'

I remember back when HaloGAF was testing our own Sandbox Forge variants in Halo 3, when I was working on Entrenched. It took a lot of tinkering to get playing well, and one of the last rounds of updates was a major pull-back on the heavy weapons available on the map. (At EazyB's suggestion.) The map instantly played a lot better. It was a big lesson for me in how delicate the balance in the combat sandbox was, and how tossing even a little too much onto the maps can throw it out of whack. It was the difference between a bad map and a fun one. It's cliche, but less really was more. I've tried to apply that same kind of restraint to all the maps I've worked on.

The classic counterparts fare better, generally speaking. I love playing Anniversary Slayer/Objective on Beaver Creek Anniversary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom