• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Too many power weapons has been proven to be an issue in maps in the past. Ivory Tower was a mess back in the day with Sniper, Shotty, Rockets and Sword. WTF and then radar on top of that. That map used to be my favorite but as I got better in Halo 2, I realized just how bad it was and the power weapons were a large factor.

Havok

I love Battle Canyon.
I love the Boardwalk-style middle of nowhere grenade field bomb plant spot.

Tashi0106 said:
Too many power weapons has been proven to be an issue in maps in the past. Ivory Tower was a mess back in the day with Sniper, Shotty, Rockets and Sword. WTF and then radar on top of that. That map used to be my favorite but as I got better in Halo 2, I realized just how bad it was and the power weapons were a large factor.
The shotgun was such a nonfactor in Halo 2, I wouldn't put it up with the rest of those. Ivory Tower was a great map for Single Flag and Bomb since the power weapons were pretty well separated per team, but never really shined in Slayer.

Booshka

The Halo 2 Shotgun was hilariously bad if you weren't host or playing on LAN. A BXR with a BR was more reliable than a Shotgun.

Homeboyd

Is the big Team Slayer jackpot over? I've been playing TS all weekend with no luck :(
I think today is the last day. Also, I got the $50k jackpot but it only showed up in the corner of my screen at the end of the game, not in the post-game credits screen. So, if you happen to look away for 2 seconds, you'll miss it and think you never got it.

Striker

Ivory Tower was OK in Slayer under Team Rifles and Snipers. Basic Slayer though it's alright. We were spoiled by slayer maps like Lockout, Midship, Beaver Creek, and so on. It's better than most of the garbage we've seen since.

Booshka

Ivory Tower was OK in Slayer under Team Rifles and Snipers. Basic Slayer though it's alright. We were spoiled by slayer maps like Lockout, Midship, Beaver Creek, and so on. It's better than most of the garbage we've seen since.

Team Rifles on any map was awesome (except for Ascension with Banshee lol). BR was so OP with glitches so it was all you really needed, and lead to really fun competitive games.

Blueblur1

Agreed on the weapon placements on the new versions of the Anniversary maps. That's why I stick strictly to the Anniversary Slayer playlists.

He can't afford them =(.
I heard if you are nice, Santa Frankie can make dreams come true. Unfortnuately not in my case.

My initial, cynical reaction to BTB Heavies was, 'and we're to distinguish that from Highlands how?'

I remember back when HaloGAF was testing our own Sandbox Forge variants in Halo 3, when I was working on Entrenched. It took a lot of tinkering to get playing well, and one of the last rounds of updates was a major pull-back on the heavy weapons available on the map. (At EazyB's suggestion.) The map instantly played a lot better. It was a big lesson for me in how delicate the balance in the combat sandbox was, and how tossing even a little too much onto the maps can throw it out of whack. It was the difference between a bad map and a fun one. It's cliche, but less really was more. I've tried to apply that same kind of restraint to all the maps I've worked on.

I wish that lesson would sink in at CA and 343. I want to play in the Anniversary playlists, but even reading the descritions of the stuff that is on those maps keeps me out. Battle Canyon looks like a great map, with a horrible set up.
Yep. Weapon balance is an important thing. But on the other side, I can understand that a group likes the overplaced heavy weapon on a map. When I play with my brother, he loved that he has easy access to a Rocket Launcher or a sniper. He would only be able to pick one up if he was lucky in a "competitive match". I would not have a problem if the maps with such a problematic weapon layout showed up in a Social playlist. But in competitive, it has to be fixed.

We tried.

Only me, Sean P, and Devin Olsen showed up. :p
Hypertrooper tried, but got lost and only found us as we were leaving. Moments later we ran into Tim Dadabo on the street (he recognized us from the day before) so all was not lost.

Next time we'll have to plan a GAF meetup for dinner - The Athenian had an excellent breakfast, but it was too far from the hotels for everyone to get there early enough. (Of course, the HBO breakfast the next day was even earlier but that was much closer to PAX.)
We should definitely plan a dinner for PAX East.

Gamescom dude, we're 5 hours ahead of you and 9 hours ahead of those west coast players.
I'd disagree, if I didn't know how many European Halo communities would come to Germany, if there was an Halo-event.

Karl2177

I heard if you are nice, Santa Frankie can make dreams come true. Unfortnuately not in my case.

Yep. Weapon balance is an important thing. But on the other side, I can understand that a group likes the overplaced heavy weapon on a map. When I play with my brother, he loved that he has easy access to a Rocket Launcher or a sniper. He would only be able to pick one up if he was lucky in a "competitive match". I would not have a problem if the maps with such a problematic weapon layout showed up in a Social playlist. But in competitive, it has to be fixed.

This is probably something that goes through a lot of Forgers' heads. It can really mess with a map designer, but they have to learn with the criticism. Highlands definitely needs a power weapon overhaul, but what playstyles do you set that to? I'm a sniping kind of person, so I want a sniper on there. Some people are big with rockets, and there should be a proper way to take down vehicles as well. And yet again, the Reach sandbox messes with any way of using the center for movement. It's too touchy for Reach. It would have been a pretty brilliant map in Halo 3's time, with a pair of snipers, a pair of shotties, and a pair of rockets.

This is probably something that goes through a lot of Forgers' heads. It can really mess with a map designer, but they have to learn with the criticism. Highlands definitely needs a power weapon overhaul, but what playstyles do you set that to? I'm a sniping kind of person, so I want a sniper on there. Some people are big with rockets, and there should be a proper way to take down vehicles as well. And yet again, the Reach sandbox messes with any way of using the center for movement. It's too touchy for Reach. It would have been a pretty brilliant map in Halo 3's time, with a pair of snipers, a pair of shotties, and a pair of rockets.
You are probably right but still the weapon shouldn't be placed that near to the start respawn.

Edit.: Maybe a question for the survey: With which sites are you cheating HaloGAF rigth now?/Do you post at other (Halo) communities?

I'd personally would prefer 343 goes through the playlists with a fine toothed comb, adding good maps/anniversary maps and removing crappy forge maps (Enclosed/Paradiso/Uncaged etc).

Remove evade!!
You call them crappy forge maps, but I don't know if the majority is thinking it. Why not making a voting round like the TU settings? People can vote for "Gametype XY on Map XA", "Gametype XY on Map XB", "Gametype XY on Map XC" or veto. The less voted maps get checked again if there are still multiplayer suitable.

zap

I'd personally would prefer 343 goes through the playlists with a fine toothed comb, adding good maps/anniversary maps and removing crappy forge maps (Enclosed/Paradiso/Uncaged etc).

Remove evade!!

Overdoziz

Banned
Edit.: Maybe a question for the survey: With which sites are you cheating HaloGAF rigth now?/Do you post at other (Halo) communities?
I post on Forgehub, HBO and the MLG forums occasionally.

Edit: Played through the SSX demo. It was fun but not something I'd enjoy much unless I'm racing against a friend or something.

in the demo no, you only see ghosts (still cool) the full game will work like Dark Souls where you will see EVERYONE on the server playing, you can create custom challenges with friends too and time your jumps.
can't you not just race down a mountain in real time with your friends though? That's all I really want to do.

Earlier Frankie practically confirmed good old responsive movement to be back in Halo 4 in the other thread. I'm good for the day.

I suppose you mean the weird inertia thing, that's nice!

Hoping we actually get some real audio content tomorrow.

Edit: ONE WEEK LEFT!

JuanGGZ

Banned
Too soon I guess :p

Played a match of Condemned and Tempest; forgot how gorgeous those maps are, but these maps should not be anywhere near Team Slayer. They are just too big.

Oh god, I hate Condemned so much... But Tempest is, surely, the best map ever made on a Halo game. The last gift from Bungie.

And you should start to use Waypoint links. =P

Overdoziz

Banned
best map ever made on a Halo game
65qGll.jpg

But Tempest is, surely, the best map ever made on a Halo game.
And you should start to use Waypoint links. =P
iquzErj7mNuCU.gif

Just wondering, what would the reaction to Reach have been if everything was the same except that guns were designed to play without bloom and player movement was similar to Halo 2/3? Would loadouts/AAs/Forge World all be as big of a deal with the changes I mentioned? Or would it still be the worst Halo game to most of you?
That's a big change (kind of what was tried with the TU [to mixed success], don't you think?), but hypothetically, I'd imagine it would be largely the same.
Bad maps & AAs would still exist, so yes.

Just wondering, what would the reaction to Reach have been if everything was the same except that guns were designed to play without bloom and player movement was similar to Halo 2/3? Would loadouts/AAs/Forge World all be as big of a deal with the changes I mentioned? Or would it still be the worst Halo game to most of you?

iquzErj7mNuCU.gif

That's a big change (kind of what was tried with the TU [to mixed success], don't you think?), but hypothetically, I'd imagine it would be largely the same.
Bad maps & AAs would still exist, so yes.
I mean the TU did speed the game up with bleedthrough and reduced bloom but there player speed is still slow, inertia is still there, you still have leg weights on, so it's not what it could have been.

We've been slow spartans for a while, not just Reach.

Yeah I find it odd that people seem to have forgotten how slow you were in Halo 3. The base movement speed was faster in 3, but not by that much, and given sprint, you move around the map in Reach significantly faster than 3.

Striker

Yeah I find it odd that people seem to have forgotten how slow you were in Halo 3. The base movement speed was faster in 3, but not by that much, and given sprint, you move around the map in Reach significantly faster than 3.
The jump was higher and there wasn't inertia holding you back, but you were still a dang turtle. No more of that, please.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Damn SSX is so much fun. Hit 6 million on my 2nd run. Gotta beat some records tonight. Who's got the highest on GAF?

Damn SSX is so much fun. Hit 6 million on my 2nd run. Gotta beat some records tonight. Who's got the highest on GAF?

Some guy on the gaming side got over 16 million.

On halogaf, Monkey got me beat, I think he's just shy off 13 million, I was just over 12.1 million but...

I'm gonna push for 14 million tomorrow, promise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom