• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
DAY FUCKING 1!!!!!!!!!!

Not even kidding. DAY FUCKING 1!!

And for those following the Halo 4 thread gaming side I have a song suggestion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNQRfBAzSzo

Hahaha I know exactly who it is.

Awful random ass GIS thing I just grabbed, but lookie here. Seems the same.

halo3mpbeta_iraq_03.jpg

I don't know, I feel like I see more of the gun in the Halo 4 gif.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I don't know, I feel like I see more of the gun in the Halo 4 gif.

I agree. In the Halo 4 pic, you see more of the "spine" of the gun, for lack of a better word. Looks more like a Halo 1 style grip, where you see more of the gun.

God, we're gonna feel so dumb come monday morning, lol.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I agree. In the Halo 4 pic, you see more of the "spine" of the gun, for lack of a better word. Looks more like a Halo 1 style grip, where you see more of the gun.

God, we're gonna feel so dumb come monday morning, lol.

Nah, we're just going by what we see here. I'm not jumping to conclusions by saying that because the gun is smaller, the FOV is larger and blah blah blah. For all we know the AR in the H4 gif could be a smaller version and actually makes the spartan move faster in game.

Kuroyume

Banned
Is the music from that new video confirmed to be from H4? While it doesn't quite sound like Halo it's still pretty damn good. I'm okay with the game's music not sounding like regular Halo stuff as long as its good and fits the sci-fi theme.

feel

I think Bonnie Ross should take over Cortana voice acting duties if anything goes wrong with Jen Taylor. What a soothing voice. <3

Also, people in the know, is she married or in a committed relationship??

Pretty sure I'm in love with her.

I think Bonnie Ross should take over Cortana voice acting duties if anything goes wrong with Jen Taylor. What a soothing voice. <3

Also, people in the know, is she married or in a committed relationship??

Pretty sure I'm in love with her.

I had the pleasure of having a pretty substantial conversation with her at the Thursday night HF event in August. Such an amazing woman. Calm and compassionate, but driven and knowledgeable. Getting to spend some time with her was actually one of the highlights of the whole weekend. I think 343 is in some pretty brilliant hands.

At least Reach FOV is needed for Halo 4 (Reach is 78 I believe). FOV in H2 and H3 is awful (It's 60 I think, CE is 90).

As much as we tear him a new one, Sage did insist on a better FOV for Reach apparently.

zap

At least Reach FOV is needed for Halo 4 (Reach is 78 I believe). FOV in H2 and H3 is awful (It's 60 I think, CE is 90).

As much as we tear him a new one, Sage did insist on a better FOV for Reach apparently.

And told us that we wouldn't notice how slow we were because of it.

:(

orznge

Banned

it would also be cool if when going from strafing one direction to another, that you didn't end up stationary for upwards of 5 seconds

feel

ODST returned Halo to the wider FOV before Reach.

SMH if the Bungie designers in general wanted to close the FOV back down again for whatever idiotic balancing motive concerning Reach competitive multiplayer and Sage of all people was the one voice of reason that stopped it from happening.

orznge

Banned
"I've got a great idea, let's actually, without a hint of sarcasm, make the FOV of a first person shooter 60 degrees." - thing that really happened

Computron

I understand that wider fov makes you feel faster and grants you more situational awareness, but it is set that way for a reason in halo 3 and 2 and not just because of performance considerations. For me it makes halo 3 feel like a slower more methodical game where you're playing as a tank named master chief. You can't have your eye on everything and that leads to interesting situations and the necessity for teamwork. It also makes it slightly easier to aim since your targets are larger on screen.

In other words I disagree that every game benefits from and should have a super wide FOV or that people should even have a choice as a menu option, especially in multiplayer. FOV is a design choice just like movement speed.

Now if halo 4 is going to let you play as a super mobile character like the TF2 scout, then sure, give me a fisheye FOV if you want like in the old quake days.

250 degree fov in quake:
dm4_0250.jpg

FyreWulff

FOV these days is more dictated by performance than balance.. although you do need to adjust movement speeds depending on your FOV, because if you widen the FOV, the same walk speed feels much faster than at narrow FOV.

See also: people thinking the hog was made faster in ODST, when it just turned out that the wider FOV made it feel like it was faster, they hadn't touched it's movement speed at all.

Well obviously we just need to move the halo franchise completely over to the pc.

If only...

Gearbox actually dropped Halo PC's FOV down to 70 degrees when they ported it :lol

Wait, where's this from? I don't remember seeing a build of Halo 3 that looked quite like that. It looks good. Probably since it has a much wider FOV than what we got. :(
I just Googled Halo 3 AR and it seemed to spring up from the Bungie forums just prior to 3's release.

I understand that wider fov makes you feel faster and grants you more situational awareness, but it is set that way for a reason in halo 3 and 2 and not just because of performance considerations. For me it makes halo 3 feel like a slower more methodical game where you're playing as a tank named master chief. You can't have your eye on everything and that leads to interesting situations and the necessity for teamwork. It also makes it slightly easier to aim since your targets are larger on screen.
Nah fuck that. 90 FOV and a crosshair in the middle of the screen plz. Conform to that Halo CE gold standard.

orznge

Banned

In other words I disagree that every game benefits from and should have a super wide FOV or that people should even have a choice as a menu option, especially in multiplayer. FOV is a design choice just like movement speed.

Now if halo 4 is going to let you play as a super mobile character like the TF2 scout, then sure, give me a fisheye FOV if you want like in the old quake days.

250 degree fov in quake:
dm4_0250.jpg

There is a huge difference between "super wide" and "60 degree vomit-inducing claustrophobia". Movement speed and movement physics are a huge thing too, but it's pretty clear that there's like five, maybe ten people that are concerned with those things in the entire population of people that have an interest in this series; the other ones are playing better games on the PC and have been for over a decade. Maybe if I get motivated sometime I'll do some "stats" on the way movement changed over the course of the series.

250 degree fov in quake:
dm4_0250.jpg

A bit absurd to compare a 60 degree FOV to a ridiculous 250 degree FOV don't you think? We're talking about the 60 to 90 range here.

orznge

Banned
A bit absurd to compare a 60 degree FOV to a ridiculous 250 degree FOV don't you think? We're talking about the 60 to 90 range here.

Also note that there are downsides to having a higher FOV, for example, having a slightly harder time hitting rails or tracking with lightning in Quake, which some people make binds for. IIRC, a decent amount of higher-level players use like 90-100 FOV.

feel

Cut back on fancy skyboxes and random effects until the game runs at a good locked framerate with a open FOV that doesn't make me feel like a horse with blinders. I can't properly absorb an environment on 60 degrees of view.

Also note that there are downsides to having a higher FOV, for example, having a slightly harder time hitting rails or tracking with lightning in Quake, which some people make binds for. IIRC, a decent amount of higher-level players use like 90-100 FOV.

To an extent. I think we can all agree that an 80-90 FOV is better than a 60 FOV though.

Who am I kidding?! HaloGAF agrees on nothing!

Computron

There is a huge difference between "super wide" and "60 degree vomit-inducing claustrophobia". Movement speed and movement physics are a huge thing too, but it's pretty clear that there's like five, maybe ten people that are concerned with those things in the entire population of people that have an interest in this series; the other ones are playing better games on the PC and have been for over a decade. Maybe if I get motivated sometime I'll do some "stats" on the way movement changed over the course of the series.

A good game will have its graphics budgeted toward the needs of gameplay. You should decide your FOV and movement speed way in advance to making your levels and the graphics for them. So it is not like some designer came along and said, hey we are not hitting the bar of 30 fps, so instead of chopping down the graphics, let's break the way the get feels and plays by switching to a lower FOV. At least not any competent dev.

Also, PC gamers aren't sitting 12 feet away from their screen, so their base fov will have to be wider for all unit types. I'm not entirely happy playing reach on my 22 inch monitor at 3 feet away, but i accept it because halo wasn't meant for most people to play it that way and having a choice just wouldn't be balanced in multiplayer.

orznge

Banned
To an extent. I think we can all agree that an 80-90 FOV is better than a 60 FOV though.

Who am I kidding?! HaloGAF agrees on nothing!

Well yeah, I'm just throwing an example out there for people that might only have ever played Halo as "their only serious FPS ever" which is a pretty likely thing around here or in any Halo community really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom