• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

orznge

Banned
Note that we are also comparing quake/TF2 scout to halo. The comparison is highly contrasted on purpose.

Why? Why didn't you compare it to, say, 90 FOV, which would be totally reasonable for a console game and simultaneously not feel like someone found the game's variables and took a bat to the keyboard?

orznge

Banned
It doesn't matter much that Quake is fast as hell, and TF2 is uhhh whatever. Claustrophobic FOVs feel bad even outside of fast-paced deathmatch games. Go load up Doom in whatever client you want and set the FOV to 60 and play it on your TV and tell me if you like it.

orznge

Banned
Computron said:
I understand that wider fov makes you feel faster and grants you more situational awareness, but it is set that way for a reason in halo 3 and 2 and not just because of performance considerations. For me it makes halo 3 feel like a slower more methodical game where you're playing as a tank named master chief. You can't have your eye on everything and that leads to interesting situations and the necessity for teamwork.

Read this, people, actually read this. Someone's actually, saying this, sincerely. If the FOV was 90 in Halo 2 & 3, I just would not feel like a tank named Master Chief. Also, if the FOV was raised, there would be noticeably less need for teamwork in the game. These are real things that someone said.

orznge

Banned
Counter-Strike? Well yeah, I like it, but what would really spice up the teamwork is if you took the game's 90 FOV and turned it down to about 60.

Computron

Like it was said earlier, maybe 10-15 people care about fov and those that do are playing on PC. If 60 degree fov makes you sick and feel claustrophobic, that's honestly too bad, everyone deserves to be able to enjoy their game. But I thinks it's fine because it serves it's purpose of setting the games pace and situational awareness and millions play the game with no problem.

Obviously only super hardcore are going to use 250 because they are playing fucking quake. You gotta be taking coke or speed to keep up with pros in that game.

Like it was said earlier, maybe 10-15 people care about fov and those that do are playing on PC. If 60 degree fov makes you sick and feel claustrophobic, that's honestly too bad, everyone deserves to be able to enjoy their game. But I thinks it's fine because it serves it's purpose of setting the games pace and situational awareness and millions play the game with no problem.

Obviously only super hardcore are going to use 250 because they are playing fucking quake. You gotta be taking coke or speed to keep up with pros in that game.

A BUNCH of people care about FoV. A bunch also care but they don't actually KNOW IT.

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se95M2ySzDI

250? In Quake 3 90-110 is used, so I don't get where you're going with that. :X

90 is just better in general, since I don't get that clumsy tunnel vision feeling. If anything this kind of FOV is more important when dealing with control sticks because of their limited turning speeds.

orznge

Banned

Yeah I forgot there was a whole untapped demographic of players that came out of the woodworks to join in on the fun of the Halo franchise when they found out that Halo 2's FOV was going to be 60 instead of 90, so they could finally identify themselves accurately with an armored spaceman. You're wrong about anyone using 250 FOV by the way, do you have any experience with deathmatch games? Don't answer that, because if the answer is "yes" and you're spouting off these things, then you're crazy.

Computron

Counter-Strike? Well yeah, I like it, but what would really spice up the teamwork is if you took the game's 90 FOV and turned it down to about 60.

Are you honestly comparing a PC game that people play on monitors with mice and keyboards to a console game played on HDTVs with controllers that have a fixed speed for turning your camera?

If ou want to sneak up on someone in halo, do you think it would be easier in halo 3 or Reach? Do you honestly think that fov does not effect you situational awareness?

orznge

Banned
Are you honestly comparing a PC game that people play on monitors with mice and keyboards to a console game played on HDTVs with controllers that have a fixed speed for turning your camera?

If ou want to sneak up on someone in halo, do you think it would be easier in halo 3 or Reach? Do you honestly think that fov does not effect you situational awareness?

I'm asking why you stated that having a higher FOV decreases the need for teamwork, but nice deflection.

orznge

Banned
If you don't remember correctly you said this: "You can't have your eye on everything and that leads to interesting situations and the necessity for teamwork."

How does that not apply to other first person shooters? Why didn't you preface it with: this vague idea only functions within the context of my spaceman roleplaying, so please don't compare it with anything else.

orznge

Banned
*lowers FOV to 30* Master Chief is on the prowl, keeping his eyes peeled for any suspicious alien activity *looks intensely out of blanket fort*

Computron

I'm asking why you stated that having a higher FOV decreases the need for teamwork, but nice deflection.

That is not what I said. I ONLY said the opposite of that. Having a smaller FOV limits you situational awareness and because of this you require people to callout more. It's not going to make such a huge difference that your going to end up blind without teammates but a difference nonetheless.

Krispy

Mock if old
(it's old :( )
but I just came across this:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/top-10-gt-countdown/724276

And I just wanted to say; fore-shame, Game Trailers. The BR at #6 (with a clip of the DMR in the mix too), the Pistol at #4 (with a clip of someone failing to kill an afk person with one clip), and Melee as the overall winner (double beat downs ahoy). Your obvious lack of Halo honor disturbs me.

It's only redeeming quality was its lack of AR. On the list that is, it still features prominently.

orznge

Banned
That is not what I said. I ONLY said the opposite of that. Having a smaller FOV limits you situational awareness and because of this you require people to callout more. It's not going to make such a huge difference that your going to end up blind without teammates but a difference nonetheless.

So this is a good way to increase the level of situational awareness and teamwork needed, rather than actually designing a game that's decent on the basic mechanical level, right? Is that what you're saying? Say, for example, if Halo 4 required more situational awareness and teamwork than the previous four games, when comparing everything aside from the FOVs of the games: would you lower the FOV of Halo 4 if it was 90 so as to necessitate even more situational awareness and teamwork?

I think 75-80 is the sweet spot, 100 is horrible and under 70 is too restrictive.

50ppp + AutoPager Addon for firefox + NeoGAF ProDark

^ the only real way to browse GAF

Computron

So this is a good way to increase the level of situational awareness and teamwork needed, rather than actually designing a game that's decent on the basic mechanical level, right? Is that what you're saying?

bolded for clarity

So if i am understanding you right, according to you, it is either you have a wide fov or your game is broken on a mechanical level? That's both a loaded question and a conclusion that doesn't follow the argument.

orznge

Banned
bolded for clarity

So if i am understanding you right, according to you, it is either you have a wide fov or your game is broken on a mechanical level? That's both a loaded question and a conclusion that doesn't follow the argument.

That's part of it I suppose, the notion that 60 FOV is bizarre in any game unless you're a weirdo roleplaying a spaceman. You still didn't answer my question though: if Halo 4 came out, and required (measured with some "objective" metric, of course) more situational awareness and teamwork than the previous four games, but had an FOV of 90, would you opt to lower the FOV in order to necessitate even more situational awareness and teamwork?

orznge

Banned
Haha! Cod is pretty slow, so that doesn't fit it very well, and you would need a pretty wide screen for THAT fov. But the 250 in quake is practical wih fisheye.

It's not practical, and virtually no person on the entire planet plays with an FOV that high.

Holy shit just won a doubles match and the second I got the final kill my power goes out. Insane winds here. End of world?

1310657449.44832365.jpg

Computron

That's part of it I suppose, the notion that 60 FOV is bizarre in any game unless you're a weirdo roleplaying a spaceman. You still didn't answer my question though: if Halo 4 came out, and required (measured with some "objective" metric, of course) more situational awareness and teamwork than the previous four games, but had an FOV of 90, would you opt to lower the FOV in order to necessitate even more situational awareness and teamwork?

In a sense, yes. But it would also have to be done with other adjustments to the game, like movement speed and such. Ever change ripples through the game and effects a lot of other things. Do you disagree that a thinner FOV makes you less situationally aware and feel slower?

Also note that there are downsides to having a higher FOV, for example, having a slightly harder time hitting rails or tracking with lightning in Quake, which some people make binds for. IIRC, a decent amount of higher-level players use like 90-100 FOV.

Harder tracking is precicely what I was getting at when I said that it is easier to aim in halo 3 since with the 60 fov your targets are bigger on screen.

The solution is once again fisheye, but its also very 'unique' solution any non über hardcore gamers would look at and say fuck no.

Computron

It's not practical, and virtually no person on the entire planet plays with an FOV that high.

I edited that post just after submitting it but you quoted me a but fast. If you just look at the cod video with the insane fov, of course everyone would say that is impractical which is why I emphasized the fisheye part. The fisheye lense is what makes it practical. Google quake fisheye, I actually Played it.

orznge

Banned
I edited that post just after submitting it but you quoted me a but fast. If you just look at the cod video with the insane fov, of course everyone would say that is impractical which is why I emphasized the fisheye part. The fisheye lense is what makes it practical. Google quake fisheye, I actually Played it.

I have too, and I'm telling you you're crazy if you think anyone plays any deathmatch game at a competetive level with fisheye and 250 FOV.

orznge

Banned
In a sense, yes. But it would also have to be done with other adjustments to the game, like movement speed and such. Ever change ripples through the game and effects a lot of other things. Do you disagree that a thinner FOV makes you less situationally aware and feel slower?

Harder tracking is precicely what I was getting at when I said that it is easier to aim in halo 3 since with the 60 fov your targets are bigger on screen.

The solution is once again fisheye, but its also very 'unique' solution any non über hardcore gamers would look at and say fuck no.

Do you think that if the FOV stayed at 90 in Halo 2, 3 and Reach that the games wouldn't have been slowed down and had mind-boggling changes made to their basic mechanics? I'd think up an answer myself, but I'm roleplaying a spaceman in my blanket fort.

Computron

I have too, and I'm telling you you're crazy if you think playing anyone plays any deathmatch game at a competetive level with fisheye and 250 FOV.

I'll admit that 250 is pretty extreme, and i played with 170 fisheye, this was just an example.

but if, like most people, you can play at halo 3 at 60 without getting sick or claustrophobic, it serves it's purpose. Its not some performance issue, as you can see with ODST which used the same engine and a much wider fov. That was a design decision as well, a very good example in fact considering ODSTs are not tanks and don't have as many team mates to rely on for situational awareness. They are slower and less mobile as well and benefit greatly from the high fov.

Blinding

How dare you.

Seriously though I sucked today. Never again am I taking a ~17 day Halo break. I felt so out of practice and rusty.

I know that feel, except my breaks are at least a month. You seemed like you knew what you were doing in those couple MLG games though, those hosts were terrible though, especially that game where I lagged out with a full green bar for no reason.
Sorry for never getting back on Risen, other things became more important. D:

orznge

Banned
I'll admit that 250 is pretty extreme, and i played with 170 fisheye, this was just an example.

but if, like most people, you can play at halo 3 at 60 without getting sick or claustrophobic, it serves it's purpose. Its not some performance issue, as you can see with ODST which used the same engine and a much wider fov. That was a design decision as well, a very good example in fact considering ODSTs are not tanks and don't have as many team mates to rely on for situational awareness. They are slower and less mobile as well and benefit greatly from the high fov.

lmao

Computron

I have too, and I'm telling you you're crazy if you think anyone plays any deathmatch game at a competetive level with fisheye and 250 FOV.

You asked a question, and in response I even offered you bungie's answer in the form of ODST. There's your 'mind boggling mechanical tweaks'. All you've done is ask loaded questions, twist words and lmao. I can see its pointless to try and explain this to you.

orznge

Banned
You asked a question, and in response I even offered you bungie's answer in the form of ODST. There's your 'mind boggling mechanical tweaks'. All you've done is ask loaded questions, twist words and lmao. I can see its pointless to try and explain this to you.

Where did Bungie explicitly state that the FOV was changed to 60 in Halo 2 & 3 because Master Chief now needed to rely on teamwork more? And for that matter, wouldn't he need to rely on teamwork more as a result of his FOV lowering, and not the other way around? This is so interesting.

orznge

Banned
Or I guess since I've never been up with the Halo lore that I really shouldn't assume about things like that. I thought Master Chief was upgraded going from CE to Halo 2 though? He can't be harmed by jumping from incredible heights now but they also made his visor give him less vision out on the battlefield? It sounds like someone has been sabotaging Master Chief.

Redford

aka Cabbie
The latter half of that new track sounds much better than the cheesy-ish main hook.

And the FOV looks like splitscreen H3.

zap

Mock if old
(it's old :( )
but I just came across this:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/top-10-gt-countdown/724276

And I just wanted to say; fore-shame, Game Trailers. The BR at #6 (with a clip of the DMR in the mix too), the Pistol at #4 (with a clip of someone failing to kill an afk person with one clip), and Melee as the overall winner (double beat downs ahoy). Your obvious lack of Halo honor disturbs me.

It's only redeeming quality was its lack of AR. On the list that is, it still features prominently.

"No-one dies accidentally from a sniper shot"
a5s8w.gif

My bad :/

Computron

Where did Bungie explicitly state that the FOV was changed to 60 in Halo 2 & 3 because Master Chief now needed to rely on teamwork more? And for that matter, wouldn't he need to rely on teamwork more as a result of his FOV lowering, and not the other way around? This is so interesting.

Basic reading comprehension, it does one good. Wtf are even talking about? That's what I said, how did you understand it to be the other way around?

Or I guess since I've never been up with the Halo lore that I really shouldn't assume about things like that. I thought Master Chief was upgraded going from CE to Halo 2 though? He can't be harmed by jumping from incredible heights now but they also made his visor give him less vision out on the battlefield? It sounds like someone has been sabotaging Master Chief.

Wtf? First, please don't double post, second since when has cannon ever been considered so highly that gameplay had to fit under it? Guess what, equipment and armor abilities suddenly appeared in halo 3 and then reach, but any cannon for them was, at best, retconned. Maybe he was 'sabotaged' by the fucking illuminati, it doesn't matter, fact is the fov is low in those games. Cannonical reasoning doesn't matter.

You can continue denying that fov is a design decision and it that it gives you your sense of situational awareness and mobility. But, If you really want to know something about fov, here you go:

FZD school of design on FOV

In the second video he explains how most people are not affected by seemingly strange fovs like 60 or wider than 100 (to a certain degree)

This video also explains the objective reasoning behind the difference between console and pc fobs as well as human perception

For the gameplay mechanics of fov design, consider how bungle made halo 3, odst, and reach all for the same audience and the same displays. Even though the are all meant to be played with the same display setup, each game as different playable characters with different mobility and size and because of this each game has different fov.

Computron

It must be easy to be so pedantically condescending.

As opposed to loaded questions and twisting people's words? Yeah, it's a piece of cake.
Either way the point stands, fov is not just something that is automatically better when it's higher, as a lot of people seem to think.

But I digress, we were talking about milk or something?
:)

Soundtrack does seem like it could be more epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom